First snow

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

(Eun and Soondeok sitting in a tree, enjoying the scenery together)

“WOW! Oppa! This spot’s amazing!”

“I told you you’d like it here!”

“Wa, it’s so nice sitting high up, don’t you think Oppa?”

“I like it here too before, but not so much now, it’s way too high for me. When I was young the tree’s not as tall, Soondeok ah.”

“Don’t worry, Oppa, I’ll make sure you won’t fall.”

(Soondeok hooks her arm around Eun’s and lean her head on his shoulder. Eun smiles and touches her hand.)

“Dear, your hand’s cold, want to get down now?”

“Just a bit longer…I want to sit here a bit longer.”

“Sure thing.”

(Eun wraps his arm around Soondeok to bring her closer, wanting to keep her warm)

“Oppa, wouldn’t it be nice to see the mountain covered with snow? It’ll be spectacular! I’d love to paint the mountain then, it’ll be hard but I’ll try my best. I can do it right?”

“You sure can. Honey, I don’t think there’re anything in this world you can’t do!”

“That’s not true!”

“It’s so!”

“Oppa…I’ve been thinking, can we live here? Like…can we move here?”

“What do you mean by that, Deok ah?”

“Like, we can just stay here for good. We can bring mother and Mongryong here, that way we won’t have to live in the capital anymore!”

“What about your dad, honey?”

“He’s busy with Oraboni’s family in his place anyway…”

“I don’t mind, Soondeok ah, if that’s what you really want.  I can ask grandpa to buy us a new place.”

“Why not just pick this place?”

“I don’t want to make this my home, Deok ah…it’s…suffocating here. We can build our house over there!”

“That seems nice. And we can have a huge backyard for us to train in! Archery and things like that! Oh! And for horse-riding!”

“And we’ll probably need a huge library for you, my wife, right?”

“Also a big storeroom for your collections!”

(Both of them gets excited and starts talking about how to renovate their new place as if it’s already there. Suddenly Soondeok exclaims.)

“Oh! What was that?”

“What’s what?”

“Something cold fell on my nose…”

(Both of them have been carried off by their imagination that they didn’t realize the falling of snow around them – first snow)

“Soondeok ah! It’s snow! First snow!!!! First snow is falling!!!!”

“My! It’s so beautiful! I think it’s the first time we saw it together-”

(Eun cuts her off by warming her lips with his, the air’s so cold they can feel nothing but each other’s lips tossing and turning in each other’s mouth. Soondeok moves her hand down from Eun’s neck to his chest, feeling his heartbeat – she wanted more, but Eun won’t give her any.)

“Oppa…can we?”

“Can we what?”

“N…nothing…”

“Deok ah, you know what they say! If couples kiss when first snow comes, they’ll never be separated! NEVER! My little dove, that means we’ll be together forever!”

“Why are you so excited about it?”

“I’m kinda glad my dream won’t come true, that’s all…”

“Oppa…”

“Hm? What is it honey?”

“Even if it does come true…even if I have die, you won’t feel alone, Oppa.”

“Deok ah…”

“Death is just an end of life, Oppa, not an end of a relationship. And I’ll be around you, I promise.”

(Eun tries his best to smile behind his pain)

“Thank you dear, for saying that.”

“But I won’t give up, Oppa, I’ll do whatever I can to stay next to you, alive. Why? Because you’re my husband, my one and only handsome husband. Besides, it’ll be hard finding another guy as handsome as you in heaven, don’t you think so?”

“Don’t you dare! You’re already as pretty as an angel on earth, how much prettier will you be when you’re up there? If any guy dares to get close to you, I swear I’ll punch that guy to death when I go up there!”

(Soondeok laughs)

“Oppa! He’d be dead already! You can’t kill the same man twice!”

“Who says? I’ll make sure he drops from heaven to hell if he dares flirt with you! That way he won’t be able to reincarnate!”

“Oppa, everyone can reincarnate!”

“Not if I say no!”

“Oppa, in your next life, suppose we’ll meet each other, how’ll I know you’re you?”

“You mean you’ll forget all about me?”

“It is possible, it’s not like we take our memories in this life to our next…”

“Well, I’ll probably know when I kiss you, Deok ah.”

“Ya! So you’ll just kiss every girl until you find me?”

“Oh Soondeok ah, of course not! I’ll only use that to confirm it, that’s all.”

“What…what about me, Oppa? How will I know you’re my prince?”

“Hmm…well, just look for the most handsome guy in the world, that’ll probably be me! Once you find me, I’ll kiss you to confirm! There, done! Ya, by the way…what were we talking about back then? Ah, right! Don’t try to change the subject, Deok ah! Promise me you will remain loyal to me in heaven~ Please?”

“Aigoo…Look at you, so full of yourself. I get it, I get it…I promise you I won’t hang out with other guys in heaven before you come. Happy now?”

“Promise? Then seal your promise.”

“Hm? Seal it? How? You want me to write it down? Or pinky-promise?”

“No, like this!”

(Eun kisses Soondeok once)

“This for the promise.”

(Eun kisses Soondeok the second time)

“This for the seal.”

(Eun kisses Soondeok the third time)

“And this for my copy of your promise~”

“Ya~ Stop just kissing me and do something meaningful!”

“Meaningful? Like what?”

“Ugh, never mind…”

(Soondeok gets down from the tree)

“Ya! Soondeok ah! Where are you going?”

“To jog!”

“Jog? Why in the world do you want to jog now? It’s snowing!”

“To fight my urge off!”

“Urge? What urge?”

“Oh, so you can have yours but I can’t?”

“Honey, I don’t even know what you’re talking about!”

“Forget it!”

“Ya! Deok ah! COME BACK! Why can’t I understand you? Ya! Deok ah! I can’t get down! Why…why’s it so high up? YA! PARK SOONDEOK!”

------------------------to be continued