Thank You

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

I survived. Yes, I did not die…not yet. Like what happened to mother…I had been sick for a month, doctor said it’s rare for someone as young as I to be sick that long. I didn’t tell him of course, about that…but I think he knows already. He won’t tell the prince, would he? About that…the only secret I had kept from the prince. Thankfully, during this period – whenever my eyes could stay open and my hand is steady enough to hold the brush, I’ve been able to complete the painting mother wanted me to complete – her portrait. She wanted me to send her portrait to the king…as her final gift. I’ve finished it…will mother really send it to the king in the end? Speaking of which, I believe it’s time for me to return now…Eun actually sent a letter to me saying how mother wanted me to go back and that I should do so before mother decides to visit my father and find out that all had been a lie. I don’t know how he found out I’m here…but he did. I will return tomorrow…I think I’m well enough to travel again. My chest still hurts from the coughing, but it’s getting better. Here’s Eun’s letter, I’ll attach it here to my diary. After all, it’s not every day you get to see my prince’s handwriting, which surprisingly, isn’t that bad!

To Soondeok,

Please come back as soon as possible, I’m afraid if you don’t, mother will go and visit your father sooner or later. I’d also like to say, ‘thank you’. Thanks for taking care of mother. I don’t know why your holiday is taking so long, but please end it immediately. That’s an order.

Prince Wangeun

 

Eun’s diary

Soondeok better return quickly! Mother asked me today if I had scared her out of the house! Then mother accused me of doing this and that to Soondeok which made her stay away! Heck, this time it really isn’t my fault! If she doesn’t come back by tomorrow, I’ll just march up the mountain and drag her down! You know how hard it had been for me to find out where she was staying? I went from temple to temple, village to village – I should’ve just sent my men to mind her for me, but I can’t let that happen, what if they tell mother? I know I don’t like Soondeok, but a promise is a promise. I promised her I’ll not let mother know, and I shall keep that promise. After all, I’m a man – that’s what men do. Uh! I can’t believe there’d come a day that I actually look forward to seeing Soondeok!

But let’s not think about that now – my friends are coming over tomorrow! It’s raining though, let’s hope it’ll stop raining tomorrow, but even if it doesn’t, we can find something fun to do in my room! I’ve got lots of games for them to play…wait. Darn it! My spinning-tops and my cards! I told Soondeok to burn them last year! I shouldn’t have done that! I do believe I have some games put away in the store room – maybe I should dig them out now before they arrive. Or I can just go to the market and buy some today…but it’s raining and I don’t want to go out…If only Soondeok were here! She’ll go out and buy them for me!