Soondeok's birthday

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Came back a while ago, took a nice bath, getting ready for the surprise party tonight! I hope Soondeok will like it. Oh, I’m so nervous! It’s not even my birthday but it feels like mine – I think I’m going to die waiting! Soondeok is reading right now, I’ll go out after this and when everything’s ready, I’ll come back and bring her out. I’ll cover her eyes and lead her to our garden where a huge tent has been set up, ready for our feast tonight. Then, the moment I tell her to open her eyes, all the servants and maids will throw colourful ribbons into the air and as we enter the tent, they will all clap and cheer until we’ve reached the head table. Then, PARTY TIME!!!! Oh my! I can’t wait!!! Everyone have prepared presents I’m told, it’s so sweet of them – they did it without mother telling them to, I guess they all like Soondeok very much. Indeed, she does seem to get along well with them, once she even helped out in the kitchen. Will she like it? I’m dying to know!!!! What if she doesn’t like it? What if she hates it? What if she thinks it’s childish of me? Ah, don’t think, Eun ah! I’ll do my best tonight! I think mother’s calling me. Wish me luck!

 

Soondeok’s diary

Finally, Eun had gone out, now I’m all alone in my room – finally I can cry. I know it’s not my fault…I know I wasn’t the one who killed her, but every year seeing father cry in front of mother’s grave really stabs my heart and makes me think so. He cried again this year – though he didn’t want me to see it, but I know, his eyes were wet and red when he bid me and Eun goodbye. Oh mother…my dear mother…I’ve brought so much pain to everyone. First to mother, then to father…and then to Eun who didn’t want to marry me and had a hard time accepting this marriage. Mother…if you can hear me in heaven, please promise me one thing – let Eun be happy, when I’m here, when I’m gone…when there’s something to be happy about, when there’s nothing to be happy about. If only I can just see you once, mother…if only I can see the smile on your face, touch your hands, give you a hug, talk with you for once... Though I don’t know you, I miss you, mother. I pray that my mother-in-law will live long, so the prince won’t ever have to go through the pain I’m going through now.

 

-------------------

(Eun slowly returns to room)

‘Soondeok ah! I’ve got a surprise for you! Come with me!’

(Soondeok hurries to wipe away her tears, Eun sees)

‘Deok ah…’

‘O…oppa. What is it?’

(Eun panics and walks up to Soondeok)

‘Soondeok ah…are you alright? Heck, what am I saying? Of course you’re not alright! Look at you. Deok ah…Were you crying?’

‘I’m…I’m sorry, Oppa.’

‘What for? It’s not a sin to cry. It’s a sin to make you cry! Here here, my girl, don’t cry. Your eyes will swell…here…’

(Eun wipes away Soondeok’s tears with his hand)

‘Deok ah, what’s wrong? You can tell me all about it. Tell Oppa what’s wrong, hmm?’

‘It’s…it’s nothing. I’m feeling better now, thanks, Oppa.’

‘Are you sure, you don’t look like so.’

‘Mmm…What…what surprise? You said you have a surprise for me when you came in.’

‘Ah! That! Yes, here, you need to get changed first.’

‘Are we going to somewhere?’

‘Kinda…here, come to the closet, I’ll pick a dress for you.’

‘D-dress?’

‘Yes, dress. Our Soondeok looks beautiful in anything actually, but I think dress is better. Here, try this one. You change into this – I’ll wait outside.’

(After a while, Soondeok comes out of the room, looking shy)

‘My! My my my! Is that you Soondeok? Boy, I thought an angel just came out of our room!’

‘Your highness, where are we going? Are we meeting your friends?’

‘Follow me – ah, first.’

(Eun uses one hand to cover Soondeok’s eyes)

‘Oppa!’

‘Shhh, close your eyes and follow me. Careful, take your time.’

(Eun brings her to the garden)

‘Oppa…isn’t this the garden? I can feel the thick snow beneath my feet. And…what’s that smell? It smells delicious!’

‘You’ll love it, Soondeok ah.’

‘Are we there yet?’

‘Not yet, almost.’

(Eun brings her to the entrance of the tent, everyone’s ready, Eun signals them with his hand)

‘Deok ah, on the count of three, you can open your eyes. One! Two! Three!!!!’

(Soondeok opens her eyes, instantly, everyone throws ribbons in the air. Soondeok laughed and Eun pulled her by the hand and headed for the head table where his mother is waiting for them)

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY SOONDEOK!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!’

‘Wa!!! Your highness! This is wonderful!’

(Soondeok throws herself at Eun, Eun hugs her in return)

‘You like it?’

‘Like it? I LOVE IT!!!!!! I…I do love it…very…very much…’

‘Soondeok ah, don’t cry.’

‘I’m sorry…it’s just that…I can’t help it…I’m so touched and…’

‘Here here…don’t cry, my dear. Deok ah, if you cry, your op- I mean…your husband will be sad. Smile, Soondeok ah, come on, let us see your beautiful smile! You’re the birthday girl after all!’

(Soondeok smiles at last, everyone cheers – they have dinner together, both young and old, men and women. After that, they all present gifts to Soondeok, she thanks them – then everyone retires to their room)

-----------------------

(Bedtime)

‘Oppa, what are you doing? Why are you sleeping on the floor?’

‘I’ll sleep here tonight, you have the bed all to yourself.’

‘Really?!’

‘Mm, really. It’s your birthday after all.’

‘I love you Oppa!’

(Soondeok gives Eun a hug then jumps onto the bed and rolls around)

‘Ahh!!! Bed!!!! Oh how I miss this feeling!’

‘Stop playing around now, I’m blowing out the candle.’

‘Oppa, can I stay up a bit tonight? Just a bit? Please?’

‘No, it’s important for you to sleep early, Deok ah. We’re really late tonight, it’s almost midnight!’

‘Oppa~~~ Please?’

‘Nope, I won’t give in to your aegyo, no way. Sis, you need to sleep.’

‘Fine…you sound just like Oraboni…I hate you…’

(Soondeok sleeps, Eun kneels beside the bed – resting his head on his hands as he gazes upon Soondeok’s face)

‘How can you look so pretty even from this angle?’

(Soondeok opens her eyes and sees Eun looking at her. She smiles then turn to look at him.)

‘Oppa, aren’t you sleeping?’

‘Looking at your pretty face helps me sleep.’

‘Liar…you’re going to make fun of me again, aren’t you? About my chubby cheek, about my stubby nose, about my eyes.’

‘Why would I do that?’

‘You did it all the time when we just got married…’

‘Ahhhh...that time? When I still like Haesoo.’

‘Yeah…that time…’

‘Come to think of it…love really is a scary thing. It comes in an instant – but takes what seems like forever to leave…’

‘There you go again. I’m not talking to you Oppa! Good! night!’

(Soondeok closes her eyes in protest)

‘Ya ya ya, Soondeok ah, I don’t like her anymore, okay? Man! Why did we bring this back up again? It’s your birthday! Talk about something else.’

‘You started it...’

‘You should’ve slapped me, Deok ah! Any other girls would’ve done the same.’

‘How can I slap your face, your highness? It’s too pretty.’

(Both grin at each other)

‘Soondeok ah. Aren’t you curious?’

‘Curious? About what, Oppa?’

‘Everyone gave you a birthday present tonight, aren’t you curious about my present?’

‘What do you mean? The party itself is a present to me.’

‘I definitely have one for you, Soondeok ah.’

‘Don’t worry about it, the party is enough, Oppa.’

(Eun leans close to look at Soondeok – his face close to hers)

‘Oppa…’

‘Are you looking down on your Oppa now?’

‘No! Not at all! Why would you think so?’

‘Aren’t you? You think that for someone as clumsy and useless and me – a party is already the best I can do, isn’t that so? You think that I can’t do any better other than organizing a surprise party for your birthday, am I right?’

‘Oppa, that’s not what I meant. I mean…for an older brother, organizing a party for your sibling is already a huge gift!’

‘Ha! See? You DID think so!’

‘That’s what all brothers do, don’t they?’

‘But I’m not JUST your brother, am I? Fine! Here’s one of my gift to you, Soondeok. From this moment onward, till the ringing of the midnight bell tomorrow night – I’m your husband, not your Oppa.’

‘For…for real?’

‘Of course! My little dove.’

‘Oppa, stop calling me that!’

‘Oppa? What did you call me?’

‘I mean…h-honey…’

‘Good girl.’

(Eun soothes Soondeok’s hair then sighs)

‘Aigoo…How hurt you must’ve been, seeing me sleep alone on the bed like that…that evening…’

‘What? When?’

‘I was referring to our first night – you gazed at me like this, didn’t you?’

‘How…how did you know, your highness?’

‘You thought I really fell asleep didn’t you, that night? I was awake the entire time, you fool, I just didn’t want to talk to you, that’s all.’

‘Now that we’re talking about it…you looked real handsome that night, dear.’

‘Did I? What about now?’

‘Hmm…well…well…’

‘Ya, Soondeok, be careful what you say.’

(Soondeok giggles then pats Eun on his head)

‘Aigoo…what should I do? I can but tell the truth…you know I can’t lie.’

‘Forget it, I look bad now, I get it…’

(Eun gets back to the floor to sleep – Soondeok leans over the edge and kissed his cheek)

‘You look even more charming now, your highness. Because I can see your smile – you smiling at me. Age doesn’t affect you, your highness.’

(Eun touches her nose with his finger then Soondeok lies on her back again. She clears then says)

‘Honey…I can’t sleep.’

‘Hmmm? Why can’t you?’

‘This bed is too big for one person – and no matter how many blankets I have, I feel cold, what should I do?’

‘Soondeok ah, are you cold? Here, take my blanket.’

(Eun gives her his blanket)

‘What about you, honey?’

‘I’m a man after all, don’t worry about me.’

‘That’s…that’s not what I meant…’

‘You need more? Should I go and get you more?’

‘How can you not get it, your highness? I don’t need more blankets…I need...’

‘What do you need?’

‘I…I need…I need you, your highness.’

‘But you were so happy back then, to have the bed all to yourself.’

‘I was. Yet an empty palace is meaningless, a party without guests is meaningless, a trip without companion is meaningless, a poem without reader is meaningless…this bed without my lover to share with…too is meaningless.’

‘Wow…I thought you were speaking in another language for a second there.’

‘If you insist sleeping on the floor, I too will sleep there with you. If you insist staying up all night, I’ll stay up with you, your highness.’

(Eun smiles then gets in bed)

‘Well…It’s not like I want to…but since you insisted, I guess I have no choice but to sleep with you tonight, wife.’

‘You’re happy, aren’t you, your highness?’

‘Of course not!’

‘Just admit you are, because I am, and I’d like you to be too. Hurry up and blow out the candle, I’m tired.’

(Eun blows out the candle, Soondeok hugs Eun, listening to his heart)

‘Deok ah…’

‘I know you don’t like it…but can I please sleep like this tonight? Just for tonight?’

(Eun hugs her tight)

‘You fool, why are you asking for one night when you can for many nights?’

‘I envy you so much…to have a strong, healthy heart beating like that…’

‘It’s beating because of you, Deok ah.’

‘Aigoo…goosebumps…don’t say that, your highness’

‘Why not?’

‘Because if you do…I’m afraid I’ll think it’s real. That you really meant it.’

‘You don’t think I really meant it?’

(Silence. Soondeok getting sleepy)

‘Your highness…’

‘Hmm? What is it?’

‘Thank you…for the party…my first party.’

‘Oh…that? It’s nothing, really.’

‘All my past birthdays were filled with tears, filled with sadness…filled with guilt. Thank you for changing that…thank you…for making me smile on my birthday, your highness…Thank you…thank you…’

‘I’ll make sure you will smile on all your birthdays to come, I promise, Soondeok ah.’

(Soondeok suddenly grabs her chest)

‘Soondeok ah…are you alright? Are you having chest pain?’

‘Uhh…I…I’m fine…it was just a flash one, it’s nothing.’

‘You scared me…if you do feel it again, tell me, alright? I’ll grab your pills for you, understand?’

‘Your highness…wouldn’t it be nice if we could meet in our next life as well?’

‘Why are you suddenly saying that? Don’t, I don’t want to hear it from you…you sound like a dying person. I hate it.’

‘Will I love you at first sight as well? Will we be able to chat together every night as well? Will we be able to…live together as well?’

‘Deok ah…’

‘Yes?’

‘Please…Please don’t like me…if we do meet in our next life…I don’t want you to be in pain again because of me.’

‘Pain without love is pain…pain with love is not pain, your highness.’

‘So, you’ll marry me even if there’s lots of pain to come, in our next life?’

‘If we both love each other…I suppose no challenge is too great. Funny…how we’re taking this so seriously. We may never even meet in our next life, your highness.’

‘Nonsense! I’ll find you, Soondeok ah, I’ll find you, date you and marry you, just like now – we’ll live together, I promise.’

‘How can you be so sure? It’s not like we can control that…you’ll meet other girls…you’ll love other girls…you’ll live a different life…that’s how things work. Maybe I’ll be married by the time we meet…maybe I’ll already be a mother when we meet in our next life…’

‘Soondeok ah, I don’t care who you marry in your next life – but in this life, you’re mine. Yes, Deok ah, you were right, we can’t control our next life, but we can control this life…Live with me, Soondeok ah – promise me you won’t leave me alone. Promise me you’ll always next to me…Promise me…you won’t leave even if it is to protect and save me…Deok ah…’

(Soondeok’s already fallen asleep. Eun hugs her tighter like a little child afraid to let go of his teddy – without knowing, a tear rolled down Eun’s eye)

‘Don’t leave me alone, Soondeok ah…if you’re gone as well...I’ll really be all by myself…’

(Eun prays in his heart)

God…if you do exist…please keep Soondeok safe. Don’t have her taken away from me like those who used to be around me…don’t let her die as well like them…please. Please let us meet in our next life as well…make me be the one who gets hurt and not her – let me repay the sin I’ve committed…let me love Soondeok at first sight.