Baby Girl

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s Diary

I’m feeling a bit better now, my body slowly regaining strength, thanks to the prince. He’s been with me the entire time, I told him that I knew about his past – he no longer had to pretend when he talks to me, to this I’m grateful. Onni’s gone…but she left me a letter. It wasn’t a long one, very short – the handwriting wasn’t neat as I had remembered it to be, it was shaky…she must’ve been so weak when she wrote it down…oh, Onni…

Thanks to Onni, I’m now one step closer to finding out why Queen Yoo hates Eun so much…Onni said she’s heard rumours from the palace when she lived there – that the Queen hates him because of his birthday – the day he was born, that his birthday holds the key to it all. I must find out what happened on his birthday, I must, I need to know what’s happened. I definitely need to sneak into the palace again. Tomorrow…maybe…but it’s so hard for me to sneak out now…with Eun sleeping by my side…I’ll think of a way, somehow…

Today’s Father’s birthday, but he’s not here…no one is in the mood of celebrating. Mindeok Oraboni’s been worried about his wife lately as well, Hyojin Onni’s due this month or the next I think. Oraboni’s been trying to cheer me up, he and Eun tried to cheer me up by playing with me and all…but in the end I would just tell them I want some time by myself…They understand, I’m so thankful to have them with me in this time of pain.

Eun’s diary

Soondeok’s feeling better now, I’m glad to see her smile a bit more often today compared with the past 5 days. There’s nothing much to do…I’m bored to death, yet it would seem inappropriate for me to play with anything…even complaining about the boredom seems rude. Mindeok hyung has been calling me to his study, he’s been thinking about the name for his 4th child which is due soon. He hopes it’s a daughter this time, I understand, he’s already got 3 sons, it’s natural for him to want a girl. I hope it’ll be a girl too. I gave several suggestions, baby names, that is. Come to think of it, why did I do that? Those names I suggested were the ones I wanted to name my kids…what if he takes it? Oh well…that is, if I have kids at all. Soondeok said I can kiss her on our 2nd anniversary, which means…we can make babies too – that’s what she implied anyway. Will I know what to do? After all…it’ll be my first time… Heck! Let’s not think about it just now!

Sounds like another storm’s hitting us real hard tonight, it’s already pouring like mad now, with occasional lightnings which tear through the sky. Mindeok hyung told all the servants and maids to return home today – everyone’s been having a hard time this past month, he wanted them to rest today too, given that it’s father’s birthday as well. For dinner, Mindeok hyung said he’ll cook – awesome, isn’t it? He actually knows how to cook! He said that he learnt it from his wife – such a good husband, I have much to learn from him. Should I start learning cooking as well? Will Soondeok teach me? Come to think of it, I haven’t tried the food Soondeok’s prepared before – she used to make really good-looking cookies when we just got married, but I would throw them all away because I hated her back then…once, she saw me throw them out…she stopped making them after that…Oh, sounds like it’s dinner time! I’ll go tell Soondeok.

---------------------------

(Soondeok yawns. She, Eun and Mindeok are in the study room – Eun and Mindeok playing chess, Soondeok’s been reading.)

Soondeok: ‘Oh dear me…gosh I’m tired…Oraboni, what time is it?’

Mindeok: ‘Um…around an hour till midnight, why?’

Soondeok: ‘Already?! Gosh! Time sure flies when you’ve got a book in your hand… Aren’t you guys sleeping?’

Eun: ‘Deok ah, just wait a while, I will definitely beat hyung this round.’

(Mindeok laughs)

Mindeok: ‘Hoho! Deok ah, I made your husband addicted to chess in one day! Thank me!’

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni…he needs to rest…Your highness, you need to sleep.’

Eun: ‘Deok ah, this round will probably end soon. You go to bed first, I’ll be right there. Hyung, your turn.’

(Soondeok gets up)

Soondeok: ‘Alright…By the way…Oraboni, you sure Onni is fine? She’s been in her room all day.’

Mindeok: ‘Ah, her? She said she’s not feeling well today, better leave her alone…you know the temper she’ll throw if you don’t leave her alone when she feels like to.’

Soondeok: ‘Still…she didn’t even have dinner…’

Mindeok: ‘Happens all the time, especially when her belly’s that big…I feel sorry for her…Eun ah, if Soondeok ever gets pregnant, you need to take good care of her, understand?’

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni!’

Mindeok: ‘What? It should happen soon! I expect it to! Eun ah, you’ve been working on it, haven’t you?’

Eun: ‘I…’

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni! How can you say that to the prince?’

Eun: ‘I...I will, I mean…I’m trying, don’t worry hyung. Anyway…your turn.’

Soondeok: ‘I’ll…I’ll check on her before I sleep…Goodnight Oraboni.’

Mindeok: ‘Uh, good night sis. Eun ah, your turn. Be careful, I’ve set a nice trap for you, Eun ah.’

Eun: ‘I see that, hyung.’

Mindeok: ‘You’re not bad for someone who’s only learnt how to play this today.’

-----------------------------

(Soondeok knocks on door)

Soondeok: ‘Onni! Hyojin Onni, it’s me, Soondeok, you alright?’

(No answer)

Soondeok: ‘Onni…’

(Soondeok slowly opens the door and walks in. It’s pitch black, she lights a candle and walks towards the bed, there she sees her sister-in-law.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni!’

Hyojin: ‘S…Soondeok ah…’

Soondeok: ‘Onni…you alright? Look at you! You’re sweating all over! Are you sick? Fever?’

Hyojin: ‘No…Deok ah…I…it’s…’

(Soondeok touches the blanket and the bedsheet.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni! Your…your… water’s broken…How long has it been? This won’t do. I’ll need to tell Oraboni!’

(Soondeok gets up but stopped by Onni.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni…’

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…please tell me…what time is it?’

Soondeok: ‘Onni! That’s not important now! We need to call the midwife! Gosh, will anyone come in this storm?’

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…don’t tell…don’t…’

Soondeok: ‘What?’

Hyojin: ‘Soondeok ah…the midnight bell…has it rung yet?’

Soondeok: ‘There…there’s still an hour, Onni.’

Hyojin: ‘G-good…I can hold it for that long.’

Soondeok: ‘Onni! Why do you need to? This is insane, I need to tell them!’

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…you help me, I don’t need anyone else…’

Soondeok: ‘But Onni…’

Hyojin: ‘You know how to, I know you do…’

Soondeok: ‘But…’

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…check it for me, will you?’

(Another contraction hits. Hyojin grits her teeth in pain. Soondeok takes a look.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni! You can’t hold it, you need to push now! It’s almost here!’

Hyojin: ‘Soondeok ah…I can hold it…just hold my hand…for me, please?’

(Soondeok grabs her hands)

Soondeok: ‘Onni…can you tell me why? Why aren’t you pushing?’

Hyojin: ‘Soondeok ah…no matter what…our child…must not be born today…not today…’

Soondeok: ‘But Onni…Oraboni will come in soon…if he sees you like this…’

Hyojin: ‘Tell him that you will take care of everything…keep him out…for me, please…’

(Just then, Soondeok hears Eun and her brother walking towards their room. She goes out and shuts the door behind her)

Mindeok: ‘Oh? Sis, I thought you’re sleeping already.’

Eun: ‘Soondeok ah, why did you come out of that room? Our room is over there. And…is that blood? Deok ah, you alright?’

Soondeok: ‘I’m fine…your highness…Oraboni…Onni…she’s…she’s in labour now…’

Mindeok: ‘What? Now? Right now? My wife? I need to see her!’

(Soondeok blocks his way)

Mindeok: ‘Deok ah.’

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni, you’re a man, you can’t go in.’

Mindeok: ‘Is she alright? Is my wife alright? How is she? How’s our baby? How long has it been?’

Soondeok: ‘It’s been long…Maybe in another hour or so it’ll be over… Onni is fine…I’ll help her.’

(Eun panics)

Eun: ‘Soondeok ah, you think you can handle it? We need to call someone! Remember what happened last time at the temples?’

Soondeok: ‘Your highness, I promise, it won’t happen again. Besides, who are you going to call in the middle of the night, in this kind of weather?’

(Lightning flash, thunder clap)

Soondeok: ‘You two men just stay outside…I’ll take care of everything. Oraboni – get me a water basin while your highness get me lots and lots of towels…and scissors!’

Eun: ‘I get it, hyung, let’s go!’

-------------------------------

Soondeok: ‘Onni…you can’t hold it in any longer, you need to push, or you and the baby will be in danger.’

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…didn’t you say the bell will ring soon? 5 minutes you say?’

Soondeok: ‘Yes…but still…’

(Another contraction hits)

Soondeok: ‘Onni…I beg of you, push. Please!’

Hyojin: ‘Soondeok ah…I…I can’t…I won’t…’

(Onni holds in her scream)

Soondeok: ‘Onni, push! That’s what you’re supposed to do! Come on, you’re almost there! Onni!’

Hyojin: ‘I can’t…I can’t…I can’t do that…’

Soondeok: ‘I still don’t understand, Onni! What can possibly justify this?’

(Eun and Mindeok outside, Mindeok paces around in circle, Eun tries to comfort him)

Mindeok: ‘Why isn’t it out yet? Eun ah…things will go well, right?’

Eun: ‘Hyung, don’t worry, it’ll be fine. Hyung, you’ve had 3 sons already…you should be used to this by now.’

Mindeok: ‘I know…but…’

Eun: ‘Just relax, hyung. Relax.’

Mindeok: ‘Eun ah…something’s wrong inside…I can feel it…’

Eun: ‘What can possibly go wrong? Soondeok’s inside, she’ll take care of things.’

Mindeok: ‘There’s something wrong! Eun ah, I know it’s wrong!’

Eun: ‘What is?’

Mindeok: ‘I…I can’t hear anything! She’s not screaming! My wife is not screaming like she’s supposed to, Eun ah!’

Eun: ‘Hyung…calm down, I’m sure it’s because she’s used to it already…’

Mindeok: ‘Eun ah, my mother had 9 kids and she screams like hell every single time! Something’s wrong, Eun ah! I don’t know what is wrong…but something’s wrong!’

Eun: ‘Hyung…’

Mindeok: ‘I’ve been listening …she’s not pushing, Eun ah…she’s not pushing! Why isn’t she pushing? Something’s definitely wrong, Eun ah! Oh gosh! What should I do?’

Eun: ‘Hyung, relax…I’m sure Soondeok knows what she’s doing…’

Mindeok: ‘Eun ah…I think I’m gonna die waiting…oh why is it taking so long?’

Eun: ‘Just breathe deeply, hyung…’

(Inside, Soondeok keeps a close watch over her Onni. Finally, they hear the midnight bell.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni! Hear that? It’s the midnight bell! It’s the bell!!!’

Hyojin: ‘I…I made it, Deok ah.’

Soondeok: ‘Yes, Onni, you’ve made it! Now, when the next contraction comes, I need you to push all you can.’

(Onni smiles a bit)

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah, I’ve been wanting to do that all night…don’t you worry…’

Soondeok: ‘Onni…you can do it.’

(Another contraction comes, Onni’s scream fills the house, followed by the cry of the baby.)

Eun: ‘Hyung! Hear that?’

Mindeok: ‘Oh, it’s out! Oh thank goodness! Eun ah!!!!’

(Both men jump around in each other’s embrace, Mindeok in tears.)

Eun: ‘Congratulations, hyung!’

Mindeok: ‘Thanks, Eun ah…oh, I thought I’d die waiting!’

(Meanwhile, inside.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni! Congratulations, Onni!’

(Onni looks up)

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah…Boy? Or…’

Soondeok: ‘Onni, it’s a girl! It’s a girl!! A healthy little baby girl. ’

(Onni smiles and lets her head fall on her pillow with a sigh as she catches her breath)

Hyojin: ‘G-good…finally a girl…I hope this will be the last time…’

Soondeok: ‘Onni, she’s beautiful! Here, look at her.’

(Onni looks at her daughter)

Hyojin: ‘Oh my baby…Darling…I’m sorry I have to keep you in there for so long…it’s alright now…’

(Onni kisses her baby.)

Soondeok: ‘Onni…why…why did you do that? Why can’t she be born today? Uh…I mean…yesterday?’

Hyojin: ‘The saying, don’t you know? “Two family members cannot be born on the same day”, Deok ah…if it happens, “the young will live, the old will perish”…haven’t you heard?’

Soondeok: ‘Onni! What nonsense is this? You actually believed it?’

Hyojin: ‘Yesterday was father’s birthday…I can’t let our child be born on the same day…as him…’

Soondeok: ‘Onni…’

(Onni smiles)

Hyojin: ‘Deok ah, take her out to her father…he must’ve been waiting…’

Soondeok: ‘I will…you alright? How are you feeling?’

Hyojin: ‘I’m feeling just great. I’m fine…just tired, that’s all. Thank you, Deok ah, thank you.’

(Soondeok takes the baby out)

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni! Congratulations!’

Mindeok: ‘Deok ah! Sis, oh, thank you, thank you!’

(Mindeok holds his daughter)

Mindeok: ‘Oh my baby! Oh my dear little…little…Deok ah…is it a…’

(Soondeok’s smile vanishes)

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni…I know you wanted a girl…I know you wanted a daughter very much…’

(Eun and Mindeok both look sad but force a smile on their faces)

Eun: ‘Deok ah…are you saying that the baby’s…’

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni…’

Mindeok: ‘It’s alright, Soondeok ah, a boy’s nice. Another boy is nice, right Eun ah?’

Eun: ‘Uh? Yes! Of course!’

(Soondeok smiles)

Soondeok: ‘Oraboni, it’s a girl! She’s your daughter! Congratulations!’

Mindeok: ‘Really? But you just said…’

Soondeok: ‘It’s true, Oraboni! Check it out yourself!’

Mindeok: ‘Yes! It really is a girl! Woohoo!!! Ya, Eun ah, it’s a girl! It’s a girl!!!’

(Eun hugs Soondeok tight)

Eun: ‘Deok ah, you did it! Oh my, you’re amazing, Deok ah!’

Mindeok: ‘And Soondeok ah…my wife…how’s she?’

Soondeok: ‘I need to go back inside and take care of her. She’s doing great.’

Mindeok: ‘Thank heavens…Thank you, Deok ah.’

(Soondeok goes back in while the two men admire the new life in their arms)

Mindeok: ‘Eun ah, look at her, isn’t she pretty?’

Eun: ‘Hyung, she’s beautiful. Oh, she’s opening her eyes! Hi! Little girl, I’m your uncle, uncle Eun! Hi there! Aigoo, she’s so cute hyung!’

Mindeok: ‘Hi there little angle, I’m your papa. Aigoo aigoo, finally a girl! Hahahahaha!!!’

---------------------------------

‘You’ve worked hard tonight, Soondeok ah…’

‘I’m glad things turned out well…Phew…’

‘Soondeok ah, is something wrong? You don’t sound too well.’

‘Tired, that’s all…’

(Eun hugs Soondeok)

‘Go to sleep now, it’s really late. Good night, Deok ah.’

(Silence)

‘Oppa…just wondering…Would you want our first child to be a boy or a girl?’

‘I haven’t really thought about it…a boy’s good, a girl’s good as well…A big brother can protect younger siblings, a big sister can take care of them, both sounds good so it doesn’t really matter…Enough talk! Deok ah, you need to sleep, the sun’s gonna be up before we know it!’

‘Oppa…’

‘What?’

‘Please don’t be mad at me…but I have something to ask…’

(Eun sighs then brushes Soondeok’s hair with his hand)

‘Alright, go ahead, Deok ah. I don’t care if we chat all night, my darling.’

‘Oppa…you have to answer me seriously and honestly, alright?

‘I always do.’

‘Well…I’ve been thinking…What…what if I was the one giving birth tonight?’

(Eun smiles then moves closer to Soondeok)

‘I’d die of happiness then, Soondeok ah. Imagine…to be able to hold our child in our arms…’

‘To be honest…I was scared Oppa…Onni was in so much pain…there’s no way of describing it…’

‘Don’t you worry. Deok ah, when you’re having our child, I’d be sure to barge right in and be right next to you! I’ll be with you the whole time, Deok ah, you won’t be scared then.’

(Soondeok laughs)

‘Uh? You’re laughing? Ya, Deok ah, I really do mean it, I will be next to you, promise!’

‘Oppa, I’m sure you’ll faint at the sight! Boom, right away! All the blood!’

‘Nonsense! I’m not afraid of blood!’

‘Oh yeah? When I first came out of Onni’s room with blood all over my hands, you almost fainted, didn’t you?’

‘W…when did I want to faint? Nonsense…’

‘I’ve been living in the army camp pretty much all my life, I know, men tend to be scared of blood. We girls, on the other hand, are not – ha! Not surprised, we see blood every month after all…’

‘Anyway…I don’t care, I’ll be next to you…promise. Cross my heart!’

‘Forget it, Oppa. Night.’

(Soondeok turns with her back facing Eun)

‘Uh? Forget it? You… are you looking down on me again? Ya, Park Soondeok, I warned you – what’ll happen if you ever look down on me again, haven’t I?’

(Eun gets on Soondeok and starts kissing her neck over and over, this time a bit down her chest)

‘Oppa! Hahaha, stop! Gosh, what’s gotten into you tonight? It tickles!’

‘Darn it…Deok ah…why’s our 2nd anniversary so far off?’

‘Oppa…you want to kiss me on the lips again?’

‘Seeing how beautiful your niece is, I want to make our own baby as soon as possible, Deok ah…Please~~ Tonight, how about that?’

‘Oppa, you promised, didn’t you? 2nd Anniversary, a deal’s a deal. Besides, it’s not like you have your seeds with you now.’

‘My what? Ah…right…you still think it’s like planting…oh dear me…’

‘I still don’t get it, Oppa…’

‘You will, on our 2nd Anniversary, don’t you worry. I’ll make SURE of it.’

(Eun gets off of Soondeok and sleeps again, both of them gazing at ceiling, Soondeok talking to herself)

‘If only making babies for us is as simple as animals…life would be much easier…’

‘Hm? D-Deok ah…what did you just say? You know how animals make babies?’

‘Ya! You think I’m a stupid? Of course I know! I told you, I worked at the camp stable before – spring time’s always a tough time for us, we had to separate horses…there was one time we were patrolling on the north then -’

(Eun rolls over and pins Soondeok down again)

‘O-Oppa…what’s wrong? Get off!’

‘So…are you saying that you know how horses make babies?’

‘What’s wrong? Come on, Oppa! Everyone knows how animals mate! Don’t tell me you don’t!’

‘Wa…you really… Gosh! I’m speechless! And you’ve been lying about not knowing how to make babies! You’ve been playing with me the entire time, haven’t you? You DO know!’

‘Oppa, what do you mean? I really don’t know how humans make babies! I really don’t know!’

‘But you know how horses do, don’t you? Ya, you fool! How can you say you don’t know then?’

‘Oppa! Horses and humans are different!’

‘Different? Daebak! We’re the same, you idiot! We’re all animals, Soondeok ah…gosh, I can’t believe it! I’ve met many fools in my life, but you top the list, Deok ah. Idiot!’

‘Oppa, how can you say we’re the same? This doesn’t make sense at all! Human speaks, we talk to each other, we build things, we make clothes, we invent things! Animals do not!’

‘Aigoo…Daebak…just daebak…Soondeok ah, what do you have in your head? Do you even put a brain in there?’

‘Then Oppa, are you simply suggesting that we do what they do? We make babies the way they do?’

‘YES! Deok ah! Oh for crying out loud! YES!’

(Eun stares at Soondeok with anticipation, Soondeok stares back – blinking hard. Silence)

‘Nope, I refuse to accept this, Oppa. It just doesn’t make any sense!’

(Eun sighs, he can barely lift his head, then gets off Soondeok again, he slumps back to sleep)

‘Forget it…I give up…Soondeok, you’re just…never mind…Good night Deok ah...Aish…why do we have to talk about this before we sleep?’

‘Good night, Oppa…sweet dreams.’

(Soondeok hugs Eun, Eun hugs her back)

‘Sorry for being loud back then… Night, my darling.’

‘I love you, Oppa.’

‘Me too, Deok ah, me too…’

(Soondeok places Eun’s hand on her left chest)

‘Deok ah! What…what are you doing?’

‘Oppa, keep it there…my heart will feel better if you put your hand here…helps me sleep.’

(Eun swallows hard, before long, Soondeok falls asleep – leaving Eun all alone to fight his manly urge)