Boy talk

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

---------- The next day ----------

[NOTE: KJD: Kim Jongdae, PCY: Park Chanyeol, DKS: Do Kyungsoo]

Eun: ‘Sorry guys…not so much to offer. If only it didn’t rain today!’

PCY: ‘No worries, we can just chit-chat here! Boy-chat! You know what I mean, huh? Are you sure it’s fine to go through your room?’

Eun: ‘Sure it’s fine! Pick whatever you want to play with. I’ve got nothing to hide.’

KJD: ‘Really? You don’t have any…any things you don’t want us to see?’

Eun: ‘Hahahaha! No…I don’t think so.’

KJD: ‘That won’t do…you’re a man after all! Why? Does your wife satisfy you so? Huh? That’s why you don’t need those stuff?’

(Boys crack in laughter)

Eun: ‘Well…’

DKS: ‘You’re lucky then, your highness. My, look at this painting! Did you draw this?’

(Kyungsoo points at painting on the wall)

Eun: ‘Hmm? That? No, my wife did.’

DKS: ‘She’s good! Really good! Does she take lessons?’

Eun: ‘Don’t know…maybe.’

DKS: ‘She loves to paint flowers – close to my style. Is blue her favourite colour? I see her use that a lot.’

Eun: ‘Maybe.’

PCY: ‘Your highness, what’s this?’

Eun: ‘Ah, that? It’s my wife’s, I think.’

PCY: ‘Does she take pills?’

Eun: ‘Don’t know. I’ve never seen her take them. Probably just for cold or something.’

KJD: ‘These pills…I’ve seen them before, in my hospital, I don’t think they were for colds though. Is your wife ill?’

Eun: ‘Ha! Ill? She’s as strong as a horse! It’s next to impossible for her to get sick!’

(Jongdae looking at the pills and smelling them)

KJD: ‘Did she have chest pain?’

Eun: ‘What? Don’t think so. Why would I know?’

PCY: ‘Your highness, do you know your wife at all?’

Eun: ‘Sure I do! She’s my wife!’

PCY: ‘Hmm…it would seem otherwise though. My, all these books! You still read?’

Eun: ‘Nope. Those books are my wife’s. I don’t read. It hurts my head too much.’

DKS: ‘You used to love reading before, didn’t you?’

Eun: ‘There was a time…but not anymore.’

DKS: ‘Your highness…you should stop this act…I know that you do want to study and you do want to read, don’t you? It’s just that you won’t because that’s what the king wants from you.’

PCY: ‘Kyungsoo’s right. Your highness…no good will ever come from going against the king.’

Eun: ‘I’m too stupid for that now – it’s too late. Anyways, let’s not talk about that.’

(Voice from outside the room)

Maid: ‘Your highness, your snacks have arrived.’

Eun: ‘Oh! Nice! Bring them in!’

(Maids put snacks on table – boys sit around it and start eating)

Eun: ‘Enough about mine, how’re your wives?’

PCY: ‘So and so. Ya, but I’d like to know guys. Did your wives slap you on her first night?’

DKS: ‘No, why? She slapped you?’

PCY: ‘I was just untying her top then she slapped me! Like that! I was so shocked I didn’t know what to say!’

KJD: ‘Did you make it in the end though?’

PCY: ‘Of course I did! But that moment was just so funny when I think about it again. You should’ve seen her face after she slapped me!’

KJD: ‘My wife kept pulling my hair! That, I remember. I think I’m getting a bald spot because of it!’

DKS: ‘Were you being too rough on her first night? Ya, you should be gentle to them first! What if you scare them?’

KJD: ‘Ah wae? I was gentle! Gentle but powerful!’

(Crack in laughter)

PCY: ‘Your highness seems to be very quiet.’

KJD: ‘Indeed! You don’t have to be shy, we men talk about this all the time! I want to know about yours. Your highness seems to be always full of energy, is that so on bed as well? Huh?’

(Jongdae elbows Eun)

Eun: ‘Of…of course! I’m a prince after all! My father had close to thirty sons! No need to doubt my ability at all!’

DKS: ‘Your wife likes it fast or slow?’

Eun: ‘What?’

DKS: ‘You know…the style! Surely you know it by now!’

(Eun panicked then he starts to make things up)

Eun: ‘Sure I do! She…she likes…fast! Really fast!’

PCY: ‘Fast?’

Eun: ‘Yes! Fast! My, she kept saying I’m not fast enough!’

KJD: ‘I wish my wife was like yours…’

PCY: ‘Me too…’

Eun: ‘Too bad for you but my wife is the best!’

DKS: ‘Indeed, you seem to love your wife a lot. I envy you so!’

PCY: ‘Your highness, please tell me how to make my wife love me more. You must have a way! I tried writing love poems to her…but she didn’t like it. What do girls like?’

KJD: ‘Yeah! Tell us! Mr. Love-expert!’

(Eun starts to make things up)

Eun: ‘I…how did I do it? Well…’

DKS: ‘Come on! Don’t be so selfish! Tell us!’

Eun: ‘Well…hmm…to make them love you…you need to…’

DKS: ‘Need to…’

(Eun stands up to make his speech)

Eun: ‘You need to give them your all first!’

PCY: ‘Whoa!!! Impressive! Boys, listen up, he’s giving a speech!’

Eun: ‘You need to show her you love her! Not just with your words, but with your body, your heart! Yes, with your heart!’

KJD: ‘How do they know it’s with our hearts?’

Eun: ‘Hmm…wo…woman have these senses! They can sense it!’

(Chanyeol puts his hand up)

Eun: ‘Yes, what’s your question?’

PCY: ‘Sir, how do you make them want to sleep with you?’

Eun: ‘Hmm…It’s simple! You let them feel your passion!’

PCY: ‘Passion?’

Eun: ‘Like this!’

(Eun shows them as he speaks)

Eun: ‘You create the atmosphere, you make it dim and romantic, you dress up well, you go to her with a gift, you tell her she’s beautiful, you tell her that she’s the only one for you, you tell her that you love her so much you’re willing to die for her! Then as she falls for your charm, you pull yourself away.’

DKS: ‘Pull away?’

Eun: ‘Yes, pull away! Make them want more from you! Give them only but one kiss then leave them. Smooth their hair, smile at them, wink at them then turn your back away from them! Pull her to you and embrace them for a few seconds then walk away! That way they’ll want more! Then you will conquer them!!!!’

(Boys clap and cheer)

KJD: ‘Wow! As expected! Our love expert!’

DKS: ‘Impressive, your highness! I now see why your wife loves you so much!’

PCY: ‘Thank you, your highness! I will try them out! You should write a book on it! It’ll be a top-seller! You’re the best love-expert in all of Goryeo!’

(Eun enjoying this)

Eun: ‘No. You guys are exaggerating. I just…shared my thought.’

DKS: ‘From experience indeed! When can we meet your wife?’

(Eun’s face changes)

Eun: ‘Huh?’

PCY: ‘You know, we’d love to meet her! And see how you guys get along so well! That way we can learn it!’

Eun: ‘Hmm…she’s…’

(Voice from outside)

Soondeok: ‘Your highness, it’s me, Soondeok – may I come in?’

PCY: ‘Wow! Just as we were saying!’

Eun: ‘Wait! I’ll come out!’

KJD: ‘Note to self…go out to bring wife in. Girls like that.’

(Eun goes out, pulls Soondeok aside and whispers)

Eun: ‘Soondeok ah! What are you doing here?’

Soondeok: ‘You told me to come back, remember?’

Eun: ‘Eh…sure I did…okay, listen – inside are my friends and I need you to act like you love me.’

Soondeok: ‘I don’t have to act like I love you, your highness, I do love you.’

Eun: ‘Yes dear, but what I mean is…oh, how should I put it?’

(Voice from inside)

PCY: ‘Hey! Your highness! What’s taking you guys so long? Are you guys kissing outside?’

KJD: ‘We want to meet her!’

(Eun continues to whisper to Soondeok)

Eun: ‘I don’t have time to explain. Just act like I love you very very VERY much now and you’re completely seduced by me. Okay?’

Soondeok: ‘Hold up…did you brag in front of your friends? About our relationship? You lied about it, didn’t you?’

Eun: ‘L…lie? Ha! Not at all! It’s just…please, just today, do that for me, please?’

Soondeok: ‘Uh huh? I guess I was right. Fine, I’ll try my best…let’s see how far you’ve taken your lie to.’

(Soondeok wraps her hand around Eun’s and both walked into the room)

Eun: ‘Soondeok, let me introduce you to my friends – Kim Jongdae, Park Chanyeol and Do Kyungsoo.’

Soondeok: ‘Nice to meet you all.’

Eun: ‘And boys, there’s my wife, the love of my life, my everything, a gift from heaven – Park Soondeok.’

Boys: ‘Wooooo!!!!’

Soondeok: ‘Dear gentlemen, how rude of me, I should’ve come in to say hi first…but my darling here looks real deadly today…I couldn’t stop myself from kissing him.’

KJD: ‘Wow! Lady, do you love him so?’

Soondeok: ‘Indeed! I could think of no one but my husband all day! He too is my love, my life, my all, my everything! Am I right, your highness?’

(Eun kisses Soondeok on the cheek)

Eun: ‘You’re right, my little dove. Boys, see? This is how you should do it.’

PCY: ‘Do you really like it fast?’

Soondeok: ‘What?’

(Eun whispers to Soondeok)

Soondeok: ‘Ah, yes. Fast! Very fast! As if feeling the wind is taking you up to heaven! I love ri-’

(Eun yanks Soondeok on the hand)

Eun: ‘That…that’s enough. Guys, that’s not a proper question to ask in front of my wife.’

PCY: ‘Hahaha! Now we really know you weren’t joking! Lady, you’ve got yourself a fine man here, a love expert, you know that?’

(Soondeok smiles while stealing a stare at Eun)

Soondeok: ‘Hmmm…Love…expert?’

DKS: ‘You should be thankful that you have a husband who loves you so much. He is indeed a blessing.’

Soondeok: ‘Thankful huh?’

(Soondeok eyes Eun. Eun looks away then tries to change the subject)

Eun: ‘Guys! What say we play a game of hide and seek?’

Boys: ‘Call!’

Eun: ‘Soondeok ah, you must be tired today. You should have a rest in our room, alright, my pumpkin?’

Soondeok: ‘If that makes you happy, it makes me happy!’

Eun: ‘Good! Boys, let’s go.’

(They leave, leaving Soondeok in the room by herself)

---------------------------------------------

Soondeok’s diary

I don’t know what the prince said that made them praise him so. He probably lied about how to get love from your wife or something. To think that he’d be doing that when I’m away! Isn’t it funny? They said that I should be thankful to have a husband who loves me! I wanted to burst out laughing back then, but I held it in. I’ll need a clear explanation from him tonight. I need to know how far he’s taken his joke. I can’t stop smiling though – he called me ‘little dove’ today. Funny, right? Since when did the prince learn all these? I guess he really is working hard to impress Haesoo.

I greeted mother when I arrived – luckily, she didn’t detect anything, not my illness, not my stay at the temples, good. I’ve showed her the portrait, she loved it – but she asked me to be the one sending it to His Majesty, alone. I will go as soon as I can arrange it…it’ll be my first time seeing the king alone. To be honest, I’m scared…should I tell Eun about that as well? Wait, I hear him coming back – the boys have probably left.

---------- That evening ----------

‘Your highness. You care to let me know what you’ve said today?’

‘Wh…why should I?’

‘I need to at least know it to keep pretending next time, right? You can’t keep yanking on my hand if I was about to say something wrong!’

‘Did I yank you too hard today?’

‘Just a bit…I mean, why would they ask me if I like riding fast or slow on a horse? Isn’t that what you told me? Doesn’t everyone like riding fast?’

‘Look, it’s complicated…just know that whenever we’re in front of my friends, act like I love you and you love me, get it?’

‘Alright…I get it. Then can we invite them every day?’

‘No.’

‘Every week?’

‘No.’

‘Every other week?’

‘Don’t even think about it. By the way, why have you been gone for so long?’

‘I was…resting.’

‘You rested for a month? An entire month?’

‘Can’t I? I mean, I did take care of your mother for a month.’

‘Did you miss me when you’re away?’

‘Why are you suddenly asking that?’

‘Nothing…never mind. Goodnight.’

‘What did you just say?’

‘Forget it if you didn’t hear it’

‘Goodnight too, your highness – my little dove.’

‘Ya! Don’t call me that! It’s embarrassing! I can’t believe I called you that today!’

‘You started it! Who told you to bluff? Little dove.’

‘Ya!’