Scary father-in-law

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

It’s been a week since we returned to the capital – I miss the country side already. Father visited me a day after we returned, I was so happy to see him, I gave him a big hug as I greeted my old man. He asked how I’ve been and I told him all the things that happened during the trip – well, except the part about the argument I had with the prince and the plan he had to escape. He laughed at my stories but when Eun came to the living room to greet him, his smile vanished. He hadn’t liked the idea of me marrying the prince since the beginning, before the king approved of our wedding, he kept setting up blind dates for me, hoping I will choose someone else. Nonetheless, I guess father didn’t know just how much I love Eun. I wanted them to spend some quality time together so I left them – before that father gave me a box saying there are letters from Bogum inside! I got so excited that I ran to our room and read them all.

I’ve known Bogum for as long as I could remember – he was my father’s best student and lived with us ever since like forever. His mother died giving birth to him, just like mine, and his father fought in the war along with mine but perished in one of them. To me, he’s like my real older brother, yet a very good friend of mine, best friend since childhood. He’s now a captain stationed at the borders and we’ve been sending letters to each other for years, to fill up the days we’re not camping together with my father as we patrol throughout the country. He mentioned in one of his letters that he’ll be returning to the capital for holiday soon! I can’t wait to meet him! I think Eun will like to meet my best friend too. I’ll send a letter to him after this, telling him about my marriage and the fun we had on our trip. I guess father didn’t tell him about my marriage since he sent the letters to my old house – I suppose he’d be shocked to hear it. When we were young he used to tease me saying that no one will marry a rough warrior like me. Oh, those were the days.

Ever since I sensed the prince’s interest in my painting, I’ve been concentrating on it – I want to do what the prince liked…and truthfully, I found myself loving painting as well. He’s been spending more time with mother now and mother seemed very happy at that. The weather is getting cooler as summer leaves us, yet the prince still kicks his blanket around…I worry that he’ll catch a cold if this continues. Is there a way to just keep him still at night? Last night he sent his legs flying over my side and I can’t move my thighs for the entire night which resulted in the numbness I still feel now. I guess I need to practise my swords today to get the circulation going, it’s been a while after all. Oh, I hear the prince coming back, gotta go.

Eun’s diary

If I thought the king was scary, I was wrong. Soondeok’s father is way scarier than the king! I met him today and Soondeok got excited over some present she left the living room just like that – leaving me and her father behind. He didn’t say anything but just kept staring at me, to an extent that it got extremely uncomfortable. I tried to chat with him but he didn’t seem interested. The next thing I knew, he told me to go to the backyard and hit the wooden pole for a hundred times with a wooden sword! Is he mad? I’m his son-in-law, not his soldier! My arm’s starting to ache now…it’s all Soondeok’s fault. And to see how happy she got when she heard her father utter the name ‘Bogum’…oh, I don’t know! I miss our trip! I hate the city!