What am I to you?

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok's diary

Ever since the children have come back, the house is ever so full of energy! Eun loves to play with them, but he said he won't have kids of his own. Too bad, I say he'd be a great father. I mean, just look at him playing with my nephews! He takes them out, carries them on his shoulders, plays football with them, goes hiking with them, he even plays hide-and-seek with them and tells them bed-time stories every night. Isn't he what they call a "perfect dad"? It brought me so much joy seeing them playing around – father seems to be happy too, seeing his son-in-law playing with his grandsons. Daddy...he looks like he has a lot in mind recently, is it because of the king? The king has been very sick lately, I hope he'll get well soon. Sister-in-law hasn't been feeling well lately, so I need to take care of her a bit. Mother sent us a letter a few days ago saying that the renovation is going smoothly and that she misses us a lot, hoping we'll have a great time here. I miss mother too. Maybe I should go back and visit her sometimes, just to make sure she's been completely cured. Me? I still cough a bit, I try to hold it in when I'm with someone, but it's hard to hold it in at night. Luckily, Eun hasn't noticed it. The nights are getting cooler as summer departs. I guess I really need to ask the maids for an extra blanket. The prince seemed cold last night, he curled up like a ball and huddled towards me. This morning, we were only a few inches apart. I don't want him to catch a cold like last time.

Eun's diary

It's a miracle I have the energy to write this at all! The boys! How could they run so fast? This morning they climbed trees together but Luhan got stuck on the top branch so I had to go up and get him down. Yes! That's what I did! For someone scared of heights, I'd say that's pretty heroic of me. To be honest, I didn't really think about it back then. The moment I saw Luhan crying and calling for help, I just jumped on the tree and reached for him without thinking twice. Is this what they call 'courage'? Like what they say, that parents will do anything for their kids, even die for them. If parents can love their kids to an extent they'll die for them...does that mean father doesn't love me? I mean, he did kick me out of the palace with mother, after which he sent someone to bring me back to the palace because I'm still of royal blood – but I really hated him for doing that, for separating me with mother. Mother loves me, that I know. But father...Soondeok's friend Jongin said that the king reserves a seat for me every time...oh I don't know! It's so confusing!

Recently, I've found it fun to talk to Soondeok at night – just like when I talk to Yixing when he's around. She envies me of having a big family, of having a mother...I've never really felt thankful for having them. I, on the other hand, wish I could be like Soondeok...to have a caring father who loves her, who takes her everywhere, who teaches her everything. If she had been born into the royal family while I was born into the grand general's, would our destiny be changed? Will we end up getting married as well? What if it is I who falls for the princess and wants to marry her so badly, wants her love so badly – which I'll never get? Soondeok ah...what's happening to me? Have we...become friends?

------------------------------

Soondeok: 'Your highness, what are you doing? It's getting late, you should sleep.'

Eun: 'Just a moment...'

(Eun and Soondeok goes to sleep – storm hits, lightning flashes, thunder claps)

Soondeok: 'Ohh...It'll be stormy tonight. I'll sure sleep well.'

Eun: 'You like storms?'

Soondeok: 'Yes, don't you, your highness? I love to listen to the rain falling and the wind – like a beautiful piece of music. I sleep well on stormy nights.'

Eun: 'I hate rain! I can't play outside if it rains. Everything's like...damp! I just hate having everything get wet...'

Soondeok: 'If it rains heavy, there'll be floods...if it doesn't rain, there'll be droughts. Funny, isn't it?'

(Thunder claps)

Tao: 'Aunty! Uncle!'

(Tao runs in and hides under their blanket)

Soondeok: 'Oh...Tao ah...come out boy, come to aunty. There there, is our little Tao scared?'

(Tao nods)

Soondeok: 'You want me to bring you to mama and papa?'

(Tao shakes his head)

Tao: 'Tao here, Tao wants here. Aunty. Uncle. Here.'

Eun: 'Ah, Tao wants to be here with uncle, right? I get it, here boy, don't be scared, uncle will hold you tight.'

Soondeok: 'Tao ah, where are your hyungs?'

Tao: 'Hyungs not scared. Hyungs big.'

Eun: 'Deok ah, what did he say?'

Soondeok: 'He means, his hyungs are not afraid because they're older.'

(Lightning flashes, thunder claps)

Luhan and Yifan: 'Uncle! Aunty!!!'

(Luhan and Yifan runs into the room and hugs Eun and Soondeok)

Eun: 'Boys, it's alright, we're here. Soondeok ah, light another candle and bring it over.'

Luhan: 'I hate lightning...and thunder...it's scary.'

Yifan: 'Me too...'

Eun: 'It's alright. Uncle used to be scared of it too.'

Soondeok: 'Why don't you boys sleep here tonight? That sounds nice?'

Boy: 'We can? Really? Thanks!'

(Boys tucks in, Eun goes over to Soondeok and whispers)

Eun: 'Deok ah...wh...what about us?'

Soondeok: 'Just let them fall asleep here, we'll carry them back later.'

Eun: 'Ah...okay. When will they sleep? They don't look tired at all.'

Soondeok: 'Just play with them.'

Eun: 'Alright buddies! Want to hear a story?'

Yifan: 'Story?'

Eun: 'Yes, a story. After you hear this story, you won't be scared of thunderstorms anymore!'

Luhan: 'Really? Please tell us! Please, oh please!'

Eun: 'It goes like this. A long time ago, there lived two friends – good friends. They do everything together! They played together, ran together, went to school together – they even celebrated their birthdays together! However, one day, one of them have to move away with their parents. Both friends were sad, really really sad.'

Tao: 'Sad...don't go...'

Yifan: 'That's sad...what happened?'

Eun: 'They've decided to run away! They ran away but a storm came in so they hid inside a cave. As they were shivering in the cave, they saw a light, a very bright light.'

Luhan: 'Light?'

Eun: 'Yes, light! Very bright! Guess what the light is! It's a fairy!'

Tao: 'Fairy!'

Eun: 'The fairy asked them what they were doing there so they told her what had happened. The fairy told them to return to their parents, but before they left, she gave them a gift.'

Tao: 'Gift!'

Yifan: 'What kind of gift?'

Eun: 'Ah, here comes the good part! She gave them the gift of thunder!'

Yifan: 'Gift of thunder?'

Eun: 'Since they'd be living far away, they can't talk to each other, right? Well, the fairy gave them the ability to send out and interpret thunder sounds! So even though they live far apart, they'll still be able to chit-chat occasionally!'

(Thunder claps)

Yifan: 'Uncle, does that mean they're talking right now? Right now?'

Eun: 'Yes buddy, it's just them talking. So, boys, next time you hear a thunder, you're not going to be scared, right?'

Boys: 'Right!'

(Eun gets up)

Eun: 'Ja...let's see here. Want to play pirate ship?'

Yifan: 'Pirate?'

(Boys jump up – Soondeok looks confused.)

Soondeok: 'Your highness, what are you going to do?'

Eun: 'Everyone get on the blanket then sit down!'

(Boys jump on the blanket then sit down)

Eun: 'Soondeok ah, you grab that side – yes those two corners.'

Soondeok: 'Ah, this! I remember father and Oraboni doing this for me!'

Eun: 'There, hold on tight boys! We're on the sea!'

(Soondeok and Eun rocks the blanket slowly)

Eun: 'Tonight, the sea is extraordinary calm. But then...suddenly...a storm comes!!!!'

(Soondeok and Eun rocks the blanket fast and high – boys giggle)

Yifan: 'Higher!'

Luhan: 'Faster!!!'

Tao: 'Pirate!!!'

Eun: 'Wooooshhhh!!!! Wooooshhh!!! Look out! There's a BIG wave!!!!'

Soondeok: 'Look! There's a giant octopus! We need to get away from it!'

(Soondeok and Eun carries them around the room)

Eun: 'Wooo!!!! Here comes another wave!!! And to the left! And to the right!!!!'

---------- Later ----------

(Boys fast asleep, Eun and Soondeok carry them back to their room then returns to their own)

Eun: 'I. Am. So. Dead...'

Soondeok: 'I didn't know you have so much energy left in you today.'

Eun: 'I don't! I used up tomorrow's. I'll need to sleep till noon tomorrow man!'

(Both gets to sleep)

Soondeok: 'Still, you're amazing tonight. That story you told them, that was impressive. Another one of your crazy made-up stories, right?'

Eun: 'I made up all the stories I told them, I'm glad they loved it.'

Soondeok: 'Oh it's been a long time...daddy used to do the pirate ship for me. What about you, your highness, who did it for you?'

Eun: 'No one.'

Soondeok: 'Oh...I...I'm sorry.'

Eun: 'I saw other kids play on it in the palace, their mother would do this with the king if he ever comes around...I just watched.'

Soondeok: 'Well, your kids sure will be lucky – they can play with it every day!'

Eun: 'I will love my little angels, if I ever have any – I will love them, as a father should.'

Soondeok: 'I can't imagine you being a father, I mean, you're still a kid yourself.'

Eun: 'What did you say?'

Soondeok: 'Aren't you? A kid? I mean, you like to play around, skip lessons, go shopping, gets excited when the maid brings in snacks. Aren't you just a big kid?'

(Eun looks at Soondeok)

Eun: 'Is that what I am to you? Just a kid? A big kid?'

Soondeok: 'Well...'

(Eun pulls Soondeok close to him)

Eun: 'This won't do...Deok ah. I guess I need to change that.'

Soondeok: 'Ch...change what?'

Eun: 'Have you ever looked at me as a man? Honestly, tell me. Me, as a man, your husband.'

Soondeok: 'I...I...let's just sleep...'

Eun: 'Tell me!'

Soondeok: 'Yes...yes I did. I still do. But when I look at your highness as a man...I think of you as my lover...my husband. You didn't like that, so I force myself to look at you as a kid...that way it'd be easier for me.'

Eun: 'From now on, look at me as a man, it's alright. Soondeok ah.'

(Soondeok nods)

Soondeok: 'Then...what about you, your highness? What do you look at me as?'

(Silence)

Soondeok: 'Do you see me as...your wife? Or your little sister? Or just someone who's your...burden, your trash?'

Eun: 'Deok ah...'

Soondeok: 'Please tell me, your highness. I'd like to know. To you...what am I?'

Eun: 'Soondeok ah...you are my...'

(Silence)

Soondeok: 'I get it. It's fine. Good night, your highness.'

(Soondeok turns her back to Eun, Eun embraces her from the back)

Eun: 'My person. Deok ah, you are my person. Mine.'