I must keep him safe

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok's diary

My first kiss...well, forehead kiss. I thought I'd die yesterday – but even till the last moment, I had no regrets. I was with the man I love, riding with him, my arms around him, listening to his heart beating, the sound of him screaming with joy and the horse galloping across the fields. It was the best moment of my life. 

When I woke up last night and saw the prince writing next to me, I thought I was in heaven – seeing him right there beside me, with a brush in his hand writing. He even put my favourite things around my pillow like what my father had done when I was sick. He wasn't mad at my drawings...to this I'm thankful. The prince is still asleep now. I guess he didn't sleep much last night. 

I stumbled outside and asked the servants where my father was. Something doesn't seem right – there's this stillness in the air that made me feel uncomfortable. Oraboni saw me and asked if I felt better. He said father and Bogum entered the palace upon the king's request – and they're now rushing to bring the Crown Prince back before Prince Wangyo and his men grabs the throne by force. 

I begged him to keep the prince away from the capital for the time being, in case Yo really becomes king – so we came up with a plan. I hope it'll work and that the prince himself will not know of it. He must stay safe...I must keep him safe. I must. It would seem that he's awake now...I'll need to send him away as soon as possible. I'll need to stay here, I can't possibly travel in this condition, I'll only slow the prince down. My heart felt like it's being torn to pieces with the thought of, possibly, never being able to see him again...but he must survive no matter what. I just pray that father can bring the Crown Prince back quickly before a riot arises.

 

------------------------

'Herb?'

'Yes, your highness...unfortunately, my sister needs this herb for her medicine, but this herb has been sold out in the capital already. I'm afraid the stock we have won't last long...'

'What can I do? Tell me what I can do to help her! I'll go and find the herb, I'll go!'

'I know there are some imported herbs from the west...if you will just go to this place here, I've written the address for you...go to this town by the border and I'm sure they'll have the herbs. Give this letter to their boss, they'll know what to do.'

'I will do my best to get it, I promise!'

'There's not a second to lose, you must leave now!'

'Yes brother, I'll just say goodbye to Soondeok.'

(Eun rushes into the bedroom, Soondeok's sitting up – drinking her medicine.)

'Soondeok ah!'

'Your highness...is something wrong?'

'You're...you're taking your medicine?'

'Yes...'

'I...um...mother is sick so...I'll have to go to her...I may not be back for a few days, don't worry about me. You just focus on recovering, you understand? When you're up and well, we can go on a trip together again! This time to the South sea, sounds fun?'

(Soondeok nodded, smiling as Eun grabs her hands)

'Wait for me, Deok ah, promise?'

'B...Be sure...to stay safe, your highness...I love you. Really, love you.'

'Soondeok, you don't have to worry about a thing. I'll be going!'

(Eun kisses her on the forehead then leaves. Soondeok's tears roll down as she whispers.)

'Goodbye my prince. Hope we can see each other again. I love you, from the bottom of my heart.'

(Soondeok's brother comes in)

'This should do it, he'll be safe, sis....Deok ah, don't tell me you're crying.'

'Oraboni...'

(Soondeok's brother embraces her as she sobs)

'Oh Oraboni...'

'There there, my dear sister, don't cry. He'll be alright, the prince will be alright. If Yo really becomes king, my men there will smuggle him out of Goryeo, don't you worry.'

'He didn't want me to know I have run out of medicine...he lied to me to make me feel better...he looked so charming as he left me...oh Oraboni, please tell me I'll meet him again!'

'You sure will. If the crown prince becomes king, I'll send him back. If not, I'll send you to meet him, outside Goryeo. Worry not, my sister...everything's going to be fine...'

'But father's here.'

(Soondeok suddenly feels tightness around chest)

'Ah...'

'Soondeok! You alright?'

'Yeah...I'm fine...'

'You want me to tell you something to cheer you up?'

'Cheer me up? What could it be?'

'I'm going to be a father of 4 soon!'

'Really? Another one? Wow! Congratulations brother!'

'Thanks! Since I've had 3 sons, I really want it to be a girl this time. A girl as pretty as my wife.'

'I envy you...I wish I can have kids of my own soon...but I want to have the prince all to myself as well.'

'You girl, you can have the prince to yourself even if you have kids! You should have them sooner, I'm sure father would be very glad.'

'The thing is...Oraboni...I don't know how...and I don't think the prince knows either.'

'I'm sure the prince knows, he just didn't want it yet. Now, enough talk, you need to rest.'