Jongin's visit

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Soondeok left this morning before sunrise – I didn’t even see her leave the room, she just left, gone, vanished. I didn’t even have the chance to say, ‘thank you’ to her before she leaves. It was stupid of me last night, I should’ve at least asked which temple she was going to! What am I supposed to do should mother ask me about her? Come to think of it, it’s the first time in months that I’m all by myself again – without someone coming after me all day long making me study, without someone pulling me out of bed in the morning to wake me up, without someone reminding me to brush my teeth and wash my face for me. How should I fill up this sudden emptiness that I did not expect to take place? Maybe I should call my friends out – this time the gathering should be better – without Soondeok ruining the mood. I’ll call them to my house! That’d be nice, we can play with Mongryong! Chanyeol has a pet dog as well so maybe he can bring his and we’ll have a great time in the garden! Eating watermelon is a must as well for hot summer days like these. I’ll write an invitation before Soondeok comes back from having morning tea with mother…wait. Oh right, she’s not here. Uh, looks like I’ll have to get use to this again. Does that mean I have to be the one looking after mother now? Maybe I should, Soondeok kept reminding me to take care of mother – I guess I need to do a better job as her son now. Wait, I think someone’s calling me out.

 

Soondeok’s diary

It’s a relieve the prince didn’t ask further questions. I’m now resting at this temple in the mountains – very remote one, perfect for a sick person like me. Yes, the doctor called me out yesterday and told me that I seem to have been infected by mother and that I’d be best if I isolate myself for the time being. Actually…I plan to stay here for a long time…I don’t want Eun to get upset every day just because I’m around. Ever since that argument we had a month or so ago, it’s become apparent that the prince will never like me, and it’ll only add to the pain when we finally do separate should I try any harder. Am I making the right decision? Should I keep going after the prince hoping that he’ll come to like me one day? What will I do after the divorce? Will I really, like what Eun said, marry my friends? And what should I do with mother? I can’t just leave her like that, she’s already lost her husband’s trust, her son’s love…if she were to lose me as well, she may fall ill again, broken-hearted. When she was sick, she once said to me, ‘Soondeok ah…promise me, promise me to never leave my son…promise me you will be with him and protect him till the end. Promise me that you will love him till the end. Promise me that you will give him the love that I couldn’t till the end.’ Oh, what should I do? I miss my Eun already. I miss hearing him walking around his room. I miss seeing him playing with Mongryong in the garden. I miss eating breakfast with him every day. I miss helping him wash up every morning. I miss making him study. I miss hearing him read aloud. I miss looking at him. I miss hearing his soft snores at night. I miss gazing upon him from a distant. I miss doing all the things he wants me to do just to be out of his sight. I miss him calling me names. I miss him…a lot. I’ll survive, right? I will return healthy, right? I’ll be able to be by his side for as long as possible, right?  

---------------------------------------

Servant: ‘Your Highness, this gentleman is looking for your lady.’

Eun: ‘What is it? Who are you? Why do you want to find my wife?’

Jongin: ‘Your highness, I am Kim Jongin, it’s an honour to meet you today. I work in the palace and I take care of organizing events.’

Eun: ‘Skip the rubbish and say what you must.’

Jongin: ‘I…I was wondering if Soondeok…I mean, Lady Soondeok, will be able to perform in the upcoming event. It’ll be the King’s…’

Eun: ‘No.’

Jongin: ‘But your highness.’

Eun: ‘No is no. That’s final. Hold on…you’re that guy who carried her back the other night, weren’t you?’

Jongin: ‘Yes, your highness.’

Eun: ‘Very bold of you, you dare carry my wife? Did you know she was my wife?’

Jongin: ‘Y…yes I did, your highness.’

Eun: ‘Yet you still did that, touching my woman, huh?’

Jongin: ‘With all due respect, that evening she was drunk and as her friend, I was only doing what I should.’

Eun: ‘I’ll let it go this time. Don’t you do that again, understand? Ah, and you can go tell your “friends”, if you were to invite my wife to any event ever again, you must invite me as well, get it?’

Jongin: ‘Yes, your highness. About that performance…’

Eun: ‘And don’t you dare come back here again asking for permission! I will not allow my wife to perform anything in front of anyone, especially NOT in front of the king, understand?’

Jongin: ‘You do realize that the king really minded about you, your highness.’

Eun: ‘What?’

Jongin: ‘It’d be great if your highness can solve your misunderstanding with His Majesty. Every time I send out invitations, you would reject them, I’ve reported that to the king and wanted to cancel your invitations every time. Nonetheless, His Majesty will not allow me and insists that I reserve a seat for you, even if you were not able to make it. His Majesty cares about you…your highness, more than you think. I’m sorry I’ve disturbed you. I shall be going.’

(Jongin leaves)