Eun and Mongryong

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

I can’t believe it! Sehun! One of the boys that used to come to our place and play with brother! I’ve sent a letter to brother telling him what happened yesterday, oh gosh, I hope 5 days will pass faster! I was having this argument with the person in the shop and then he came and scolded them off, a very manly boss indeed! As I said goodbye, he said he has a pet dog as well and there might be some toys he can let me take home since he already has tonnes. Such a gentleman. I think our pet and his pet should meet up sometime, it’d be nice to have them play together. Today during the prince’s study session, I dozed off a bit and he attempted to throw brushes at me…like a kid. He can’t sit still for even a moment and it took him 5 minutes to actually open the book and start reading out loud…And then suddenly mother came in and she brought Mongryong with her which concluded our study session because the moment it came into the room, Eun chucked his book away and ran to it. He and Mongryong had a nice time in the garden, playing fetch – while mother and I watched on one side. Mother told me that Eun had always wanted friends but never had much because of what happened to her – she felt sorry for keeping Eun lonely and all. I told her that it’s not her fault and that Eun will eventually find real friends. Mother held my hand and looked deep into my eyes as she said, ‘Soondeok ah, please be that good friend to my Eun.’

I really want to…I really did try…but every time I take a step forward, the prince will take two steps back. I really wanted to let mother know how I felt, how I wanted to be that friend to Eun if only he would let me…but I can’t bring myself to tell her that.

Yesterday I asked the servant, who has been with Eun all day outside, whether there’s anything of concern. He told me that Eun has been hanging out at the inn, watching people dancing, playing music, singing all day long – with lots of girls by his side. He said he was worried that the prince will really bring a girl home one day and make her his second wife. I reassured him not to worry and keep protecting Eun when he’s outside. ‘We’ll never know whether the girls are after his money or not. You must protect him at all times.’ Was what I said.

 

Eun’s diary

Mongryong is his name and I think it fits him perfectly! Oh, if only mother had named me this instead of Wangeun! I went to the inn again yesterday – I really wish the girls will leave me alone! I know I’m handsome and charming, but they always chat and giggle loudly around me to an extent that I can’t hear the music! Mother won’t let me learn music when I was young, the only thing I really wanted to do, so I had to learn it secretly – by watching people play. If only I can buy myself an instrument! But mother would never have let me – another thing I hate about being a prince. I mean, if Baekah can, why can’t I? Mother said it’s because Baekah’s mother didn’t mind…and the king never really did care about him so he can. Maybe I should go in disguise next time, wearing shabby clothes and with a bamboo hat so no one, including the girls, can see my face and I can enjoy and observe the show all I want!