Letter

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

‘Go back inside now, Oppa – I’m in the carriage already.’

‘I’ll wave at you until you’re out of sight, Deok ah~’

‘You…you don’t have to do this…’

‘Love you!’

(Eun makes a huge heart with his arms and smiles as he sees Soondeok off – Soondeok looks out the window and keeps waving at her love as the carriage carries her further and further away)

‘See you tomorrow, Deok ah! Have fun!!!’

(The carriage makes a turn at a corner, Eun is no longer in sight – Soondeok falls back into the seat, sobbing her heart out)

------------------------------------------------

Eun’s diary

Aish…now what can I do? Soondeok won’t be back till tomorrow morning, the house feels empty without her. I hope she’s alright, she’s just not herself since last night, since her nightmare woke her up. I know how bad nightmares can get, I have them often, but last night Soondeok must’ve had a really tough one, I can tell. Oh, if only I can be next to her tonight! I reckon she’ll be too scared to sleep alone. Maybe I should just sneak into the hotel to find her.

Grandpa came today, he asked me if Soondeok’s pregnant yet – I think there’s something wrong with him, out of the blue he’s suddenly concerned about me! Man! I really don’t know what’s gotten into him! And now he’s threatening me, if Soondeok doesn’t carry a child by next year, he’ll force me into marrying someone else! What nonsense is that? I can only be glad Soondeok didn’t hear any of that, I can’t let grandpa’s words break her heart.

All I have to do is to make sure Soondeok gets pregnant this year, then all problems will be solved! If not, I can always sneak out of the country with Soondeok – it’s not like it’s a hard thing if you have money. Grandpa slapped me because I told him I would today, it hurts, but my heart hurts more. I really thought that he’d understand, after seeing what father has done to mother, I guess grandpa doesn’t love mother at all. Not surprising, he used mother to get to where he is now, power and all. I hate him. I hate him just the way I hate father, maybe even more than father. I swear, if he does anything to break my wife’s heart, I’ll really leave this damn place for good!

I know Soondeok will only be away for one night, but why do I have a bad feeling now? It’s like something bad is going to happen soon and I can do nothing but wait for it to happen. Surely, grandpa won’t make Soondeok leave me, right? He promised us one year, he won’t lie to me and do something like that, right? And Soondeok, she won’t leave me, right? She wore her ‘mask’ expression face again, like she’s hiding something from me. Is it because she is hiding something from me or just because she had a nightmare last night? Oh I don’t know! I need a walk, I’m bored!

-------------------------------------

(Eun goes out to walk around the market, bored without Soondeok. He comes back at last, just as the sun is setting. He sees someone looking into his house from the front door – a young boy.)

‘Hey there buddie. What are you doing here?’

(The boy turns around and looks at Eun, he bows as he hesitates whether he should answer him or not)

‘It’s okay, buddie, I’m not scolding you.’

‘Sir. Is this the 10th Prince’s residence?’

‘Indeed it is. Why?’

‘Do you know the 10th prince, sir?’

(Eun smiles)

‘Oh yes, I do. We’re quite close – I’m going in there myself right now. But…why?’

‘Oh, this.’

(The boy hands him a letter)

‘Would you please deliver this letter to the 10th prince?’

‘This letter?’

‘Yes, sir. I’m just a messenger and-’

(Suddenly a girl comes running towards them and takes the letter)

‘I’m sorry sir, my little brother made a mistake. You see, this letter is not supposed to be sent today.’

‘Noona.’

‘Oh? Little girl, are you saying that this letter is supposed to come some other time?’

‘Yes sir, I’m sorry for the trouble. We’ll deliver this letter tomorrow.’

(Eun thought for a moment)

‘Well, why don’t you guys give the letter to me and I can give it to the prince tomorrow.’

‘We wouldn’t want to give you the trouble, sir.’

‘It’s alright. I come here every day anyway. By the way, who sent the letter?’

‘I’m afraid we do not know, sir, we only work as messengers there.’

‘Where?’

‘Party Till Sundown hotel, sir.’

‘Ah~ I know that place. I’ll tell the prince about it, worry not.’

‘Thank you sir.’

‘You two can leave now. Ah, wait…’

(Eun gives them a few coins)

‘Buy yourselves a treat.’

‘Thank you sir, thank you!’

(The two siblings run out of sight, Eun stares at the letter in his hand.)

‘Someone would actually send me a letter…unbelievable…it’s not Yixing…he’d send it to me from his shop…’

(Eun walks back to his room then puts the letter on his desk – he stares at it, struggling whether he should read it today)

‘I mean, why can’t I read it? It’s for me!’

(Eun thinks about it again)

‘But it’s supposed to come tomorrow…what if I read it now and…gosh!’

(Eun walks around the room then comes back looking at the letter again)

‘Aish…I don’t know! I’ll just read it, heck!’

(Eun picks the letter up but then can’t bring himself to open it)

‘Maybe I should just…look at it…yes, that’s what I’ll do…and read it tomorrow…’

(Eun feels the envelop carefully, holding it to the light, trying to read what’s inside)

‘Wait…there’s something in it…’

(Eun rubs the envelop with his fingers, he feels a ring. Instantly, he peels the envelop open and reads the letter – it’s from Soondeok, he’s certain)

‘I should’ve known, no wonder why that hotel name sounded familiar – Soondeok’s staying there tonight! Aish, what’s inside? Soondeok ah, don’t do this to me.’

(With that, a ring slips out and falls into Eun’s palm – it was their engagement ring)

‘PARK SOONDEOK! Aish! Letter, where’s that letter? What’s she planning man?!’

(Hurriedly, Eun pulls the letter out and read it)

--------------------------------------

 

(Eun’s been searching for Soondeok everywhere – she’s nowhere to be found. Exhausted, Eun sat on the ground next to a tree somewhere in the city – in tears, not knowing what to do.)

‘Deok ah…Oh Soondeok ah…How can you do this to me? Is that why…those words you said this afternoon…oh Soondeok ah…’

(Eun takes the letter out and reads it again under the moonlight)

‘My dear husband,

By the time you read this, I’ve probably left the city already – with a heavy, torn heart. I’m not abandoning you, nor am I leaving you out of hate – rather, it is the very fact that I love you very much that drove me onto this path…’

(Eun cries as he reads the first few lines over and over again. Just then, he thinks of something.)

‘The hotel! Heck! Why didn’t I check there? Stupid me! Oh gosh, she IS clever!’

(Eun runs to the hotel in a flash, not caring how messy, how muddy, how untidy he looks. Thunder cracks)

---------------------------------

(At the party, the ladies are gathering around the tables, ready for dinner – Soondeok sits at the end of the table, alone in her own thoughts, allowing herself to sink in the sounds of the surrounding. Girls chattering, maids moving in and out of the room carrying plates after plates of food for the feast, clinging of cups…Just then, someone flings the door open)

----------------------to be continued