I'll protect you

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Unbelievable! I have married the most innocent woman on the planet! I think innocent is the most polite term, though I’d rather use the word foolish. You’ll never believe what Soondeok said last night! She knows how animals mate! Isn’t it obvious that she should know how human make babies then? I just don’t get it! Come to think of it…how did I come to know about it? It’s not that hard…growing up in the palace with lots of hyungs who generously shares their stories with us…but Soondeok…growing up in the camp…her father must’ve been real strict with her. How will I be able to do anything with her on our 2nd anniversary? What if…the moment I kiss her and take off her clothes she starts asking why this and why that? Gosh! This is a real headache…should I just tell her to read father’s red book? Self study? By the way…where did I put that book again? It should come in handy soon…Man! Why am I writing about this? If Soondeok comes in now, she may think my face’s bleeding or something!

Ew…speaking of blood, her niece was born last night – I wouldn’t admit it…but heck I’m scared of blood! The moment I saw Soondeok stepping out with the baby, sure I was happy, but man was I scared! She’s got blood all over her! Her face, her hands, her dress…everywhere! I should be thankful she took a nice long bath before she slept. I made a promise I’ll be with her when her time comes…but like what she said, maybe I’ll faint the moment I step into the room. Who knows?

I’ll need to return home today, lots of home matters to deal with, servant’s salary…and such. Mother really is too much…how can she leave everything to my care and just go on a holiday? I know I’m head of the family now…but still, it’d be nice if she’s around to teach me…I miss her.

--------------------------------------

(Soondeok comes back from seeing her Onni and niece)

‘Oh? Back?’

‘Yes, I’m back. Oh my gosh, Oppa! Our niece is just so cute!! She smiled at me today!’

(Eun stands up and walks to Soondeok)

‘Oppa, what’s wrong?’

‘Soondeok ah, I need to go back to my house to take care of some…business today.’

‘Uh, really? Go ahead! You’ll be back tonight, right?’

‘Deok ah…I think it’s time we move back, don’t you?’

‘I…I want to too, Oppa…it’s just that, Onni just had her baby, and the boys will be back today.’

‘You can stay here a while and help them settle and all…but you can come back to sleep, right? Please?’

(An idea hits Soondeok)

‘Then…Oppa, what say I stay here till night time then I return home to sleep?’

‘Really?’

‘Sure! Maybe at around…11pm? How’s that?’

‘That’s too late, you said so yourself, it’s dangerous for a girl to travel around that late at night.’

‘Well…I’m confident in myself now, Oppa.’

‘And what should I do? Wait all night till you return? I’ll just wait for you, sitting on our bed till I turn into a rock? No way!’

‘You’ll find something to do…Oppa, I miss bathing at our house. What say you prepare a bath for me? Then when I return I can take a nice warm bath before retiring to our room and sleep?’

‘Bath? Oh right, you were supposed to have one when we return…Sounds nice, I’ll get it ready for you tonight. Rose petals? How about that?’

‘It doesn’t have to be fancy, Oppa.’

‘Um…one more thing…Soondeok ah, can…can I join in?’

‘Hm? Join in? Join in what?’

‘Your bath…’

‘Ya! Oppa! You mad? Of course not!’

‘Ah wae??? Why not?’

‘We…boys and girls…we can’t bath together…no way!’

‘Deok ah, we’re husband and wife, why can’t we?’

‘Who…Who says we can? Don’t…don’t even think about it. Don’t you dare peek in, I warn you!’

‘You…wa…it’s like you’ve read my mind…’

‘Aigoo…promise me you will wait for me inside our room tonight, promise?’

‘Alright…but after our 2nd anniversary, you’re dead. I’ll take bath with you every single day to make it up for times I’ve missed in the past 2 years!’

‘Why? I just said I’ll let you kiss me, I didn’t say you can…’

(Eun kisses Soondeok’s forehead then leaves before Soondeok has a chance to say otherwise)

‘Bye Deok ah! See you tonight!’

‘Ya! Oppa! I’m not finished yet! Oppa!!!!’

------------------------------------------

Soondeok’s diary

Can you believe it? Oraboni’s daughter came out last night! Well…to be more precious, it’s this morning. I don’t know why, but Onni must’ve really loved father so much – she was willing to hold it in till the midnight bell. I don’t think I’ll be able to do that if I were her. My nephews are coming back today, imagine what they’ll say when they see their mother holding their new baby sister! Imagine the disappointment they’ll have! They wanted another brother – oh well, they’ll learn to love her sooner or later, she’s such an adorable child. I hope she’ll grow up healthily like her brothers. Oraboni’s happy of course, after all these years, he finally has a daughter, I feel great for him. I want to hold my child soon too, like what Eun said…but the doctor said it’ll be hard if I continue to take medicine in that dosage…but, who knows?

Tonight’s it, my one and only chance to sneak into the palace again. The guards change shift at around 10pm, if I manage to sneak in and get out by 10pm, things should go alright. Guards tend to doze off a bit before change of shift, I must hurry though – the palace’s always full of surprise patrols. I must get my hands on the record containing Eun’s birthday…6th day of the 5th month…I must. I need to be careful tonight. If possible, I would like to visit Queen Yoo as well…the fastest way to know the answer is through her.

------------------------------------------------

(Soondeok sneaks into the royal library which holds all the historical records, Soondeok busy thinking in her head)

‘Let’s see…this year, yes, this year…5th month…’

(Soondeok slowly takes the book out and flip through the pages, reading it under the moonlight.)

‘5th month…5th month…here it is…6th day…6th day…oh? That’s it? Only this much? I already know Eun’s born on this day…nothing else happened that day? It can’t be…Onni can’t be wrong…’

(Soondeok flips over another page)

‘7th day…Uh? The king gave the new born prince the title 10th Prince Wangeun, also recorded in the Book of Family…Queen Yoo went straight to find the king after this announcement and made a protest…Protest?’

(Soondeok walks closer to the window to read better under the moonlight)

Queen Yoo claims that the title should be kept for her son and the title of 11th Prince should be given to the now 10th Prince…What’s this? Her son? Wangyo? But he’s the 3rd Prince, isn’t he? And Wangso...Wangso Oraboni is 4th Prince…Prince Wangjung is 14th Prince…so how? Book of Family…where’s that book?’

(Soondeok puts the book back and heads off to find the Book of Family)

‘Here it is…Book of family – this book shall contain all the names of the royal descendants, any descendants of the king who live up to a day old will be given a title and recorded in this book…Oppa…where’s oppa’s name? Lady…ah, here’s mother’s name. Wangeun, 10th Prince, here it is. Nothing’s wrong…Queen Yoo!’

(Soondeok hears voices coming from outside, she hurries to flip through the pages)

‘Queen Yoo…Queen Yoo…here it is! What?’

(Someone comes into the library and sees Soondeok – but not her face, she has a mask on)

‘Hey you! Who are you? What are you doing in here?’

(Soondeok slowly puts the book down then speedily runs out after pushing the guard aside.)

‘YA!!!! Get him! Someone get him! He sneaked into the library! Get him!!! INTRUDER ALERT!’

----------------------------------------------------

(Soondeok jumps over the wall and enters Eun’s residence. She runs to the garden and places a sandbag on the wall, resting a pot on it – she then pokes a hole in the sandbag, allowing the sand to leak out slowly. Soondeok hides her sword then runs into the bath house – hoping the soldiers will not suspect her should they see her there. Soldiers are getting closer to their residence. Soondeok flings the bath house’s door open, which hits Eun, who’s been hiding there waiting for Soondeok)

‘OUCH! Ow…Oh my head…’

(Eun looks up and sees a person dressed in black from head to toe, with a mask over the face. Soondeok wants to escape but Eun pulls her back in fast, pinning her to the wall, questioning her.)

‘Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here?’

(Soondeok tries to break free, but Eun won’t let her. Eun looks closely at her eyes. His stare softens)

‘You…Deok ah…is that you?’

(Eun pulls down the mask and he sees Soondeok’s face.)

‘Soondeok ah…what are you doing here? And…why…why are you dressed like this?’

(Sounds of soldiers banging on their residence’s gate)

‘Oppa, I don’t have time to explain, please get out, I need to take a bath. I can’t let them suspect you as well.’

‘Suspect? Me? For what?’

(Soondeok pushes Eun out, but Eun won’t leave, he closes the door and locks it)

‘Oppa! Please!’

‘Tell me what’s going on. I demand to know!’

‘Oppa…I don’t have time to explain! Please…’

(Servants open the gates outside, soldiers rush in to search the residence)

‘They’re in…Oppa, please, you have to go!’

(Eun holds Soondeok by her arms, stares at her hard)

‘Deok ah, I will help you, I won’t let them catch you.’

‘Oppa…I don’t want to get you involved in this…it’s my doing, Oppa…If you know what I’ve done…you wouldn’t do this…’

‘Deok ah, listen, I won’t ask what you’ve done. I will protect you no matter what! I just want you to answer two questions. One, are the men outside after you? Will they throw you in jail if they catch you?’

(Soondeok nods)

‘More like…death sentence…if they catch me…’

(Eun nods)

‘And two, did those men…those BASTARDS do this to you?’

(Eun holds Soondeok’s wounded arm up, blood oozing out of the wound – Soondeok lowers her head then nods, Eun sighs)

‘Those people hurt my wife, I don’t need to know anything else. That’s all the reason I need to protect you.’

(Sounds of soldiers getting closer)

‘Deok ah, you trust me?’

‘Yes. I always have, your highness.’

‘Then trust me this time as well.’

(Suddenly Eun strips Soondeok , Soondeok doesn’t know how to react, she covers her chest)

‘Oppa!’

‘Trust me, Deok ah. Get into the tub, now!’

(Soondeok gets in, she keeps her body underwater, facing the wall, both hands across her chest, trembling. Eun grabs her clothes, wipes away the blood on the floor then chucks them into the furnace, burning them. He then takes off his pajamas and gets into the tub as well.)

‘Deok ah, don’t you worry, I will not let them take you.’

(Sounds of soldiers banging on the bathhouse door)

‘Open up! By the order of His Majesty, open up!!!!!!!!!’

‘Soondeok ah, promise me to keep your wounded hand hidden. Understand?’

‘Yes, Oppa…’

‘Deok ah, look at me.’

(Soondeok doesn’t turn around, she’s trembling in fear.)

‘Oppa…please…look away…’

(Eun gently puts his hands on her shoulders, he turns her around to face him, Soondeok shuts her eyes tight.)

‘Please…don’t look…Oppa…please…’

‘Deok ah, don’t be afraid, look at me, look into my eyes. Look at your prince, hm?’

(Soondeok slowly opens her eyes and looks at Eun’s.)

‘Oppa…I…I’m fat, aren’t I?’

(Eun touches her face, smiling)

‘Idiot…you’re not fat, not at all. You look beautiful tonight, absolutely gorgeous.’

‘I…I was worried Oppa would…you know…find my body…not your ideal type…’

(Soldiers starts to bang hard on the door – the door’s about to be broken down)

‘Soondeok ah, I’m here for you, I won’t let them take you, I promise. Alright?’

‘Oppa…I’m sorry…I really am…’

‘Don’t say that, Deok ah. I believe in you. I know you’re a kind girl.’

‘Oppa…will you break up with me after this?’

(Eun smiles)

‘You fool, of course not. Soondeok ah, tonight, I’m not your brother, nor your boyfriend…tonight we are man and wife, I’m your husband.’

‘Thank you, Oppa…if…if anything goes wrong tonight, I just want you to know…I love you.’

‘Me too... I love you, Soondeok ah, I love you.’

(All of a sudden, Eun pulls Soondeok towards him, wraps her legs around his waist and kisses her on the lips.)

‘I love you Deok ah...’

‘Your highness…I thought we said…’

‘This will keep them out, Deok ah, I’m sure of it. Deok ah…your lips are sweeter than honey to my mouth, you know that right? I love you, dearly.’

(Both continues kissing deep, Eun brings her closer and closer to himself. As if the world has stopped, both only felt each other – as if nothing else mattered anymore. Just then, soldiers come barging in – seeing Eun’s back as he continues kissing)

‘Find the intruder! Hey you over there! Have you seen anyone coming in?’

(Eun stops kissing, lets go of Soondeok, turns around and stares angrily at the soldiers)

‘Oh…Your…your highness. It’s you…I thought…’

‘HOW DARE YOU COME IN HERE?’

(Eun pretends to be angry and stands up – keeping Soondeok behind him)

‘ARE YOU MEN CRAZY? Can’t you see I locked the door for a reason? How can you guys come barging in like this when I wanted to have some privacy? How dare you?’

‘Your highness, my apologies... an…in-intruder sneaked into the p-palace and he escaped to this residence. Y-You happen to…happen to see him?’

‘If I did, he would be dead by now! I’d kill him myself with my own bare hands for breaking in! I’ll do the same to you all if you don’t get your asses out this very instant!!!! I should have you all sent to jail for this!’

‘I’m so sorry, your highness…we were just…’

‘You know how hard it was to get into the mood with my wife? Huh?’

‘Apologies…your highness…we didn’t realize…’

(Soondeok speaks up)

‘Your highness…it’s getting late, maybe we should get back to bed…’

(Eun gets really really mad)

‘Ha! You men! Look what you soldiers have done! You know how long it took me to turn on my wife? Now it’s over! Because of you guys! Get out! Get out all of you!!! GET OUT!!!’

(Eun throws stuff at them. Just then, they hear the sound of pot shattering in the garden)

‘Sir! Hear that?’

‘It’s from the garden I bet!’

‘The intruder must’ve jumped over the wall there, come on guys, let’s go! Your highness…sorry for the trouble…have a nice evening with your…um…wife.’

(Soldiers run out hurriedly and closes the door. Eun turns to look at Soondeok. Soondeok once again gets embarrassed and turned towards the wall again, hiding her body)

‘Deok ah, it’s alright now, they’re gone.’

(Soondeok keeps her eyes shut.)

‘We don’t know if they’ll come back or not, so let’s just stay here a bit, alright? Deok ah, you alright?’

(Soondeok nods slightly, Eun keeps looking at Soondeok’s back – Soondeok doesn’t know how to react.)

‘Oppa…please look away…’

‘Ha! I thought you’re over this! Come on, Deok ah, it’s okay for you to turn around – we’ve seen each other plain and clean already!’

‘Not…not exactly…oh dear me…Oppa, please…look away…’

(Eun sighs, he grabs a soap and starts scrubbing Soondeok’s back.)

‘Oppa…you don’t have to…’

‘It’s okay, I’ll do it for you tonight. Your back needs a good scrubbing…heck, when’s the last time someone scrubbed it for you? Look at this!’

‘Onni used to do it for me when I was young…I usually take bath by myself so…’

‘Don’t you worry, Deok ah, I’ll give you a good scrub tonight. Make your back white as snow again, how’s that? Hm?’

(Eun helps her with all his might, finally he finishes and helps Soondeok wash it clean)

‘There, all clean! I’m a good scrubber, ain’t I? I used to scrub for my hyungs – they say I’m the best, looks like you’re blessed, Deok ah. Ha!’

(Soondeok is still shy)

‘Oppa…I…I can help you too…if you want…’

‘Hm? Me? Sure! Here, scrub here.’

(Soondeok turns and sees Eun looking at her, she turns around quickly again)

‘Oppa! Turn around!’

‘What? I want you to scrub my chest.’

‘No…no way! You turn around…I’ll…I’ll help you…your back…’

‘Fine…but how can I see your pretty face if you’re scrubbing my back?’

(Still, Eun turns around obediently, Soondeok uses the soap in one hand and rubs his back with another.)

‘Ooohh…aahhh~~~ Nice! Deok ah, you’re pretty good.’

‘Thank you, Oppa…for doing that…’

‘What?’

‘For…you know…helping me out…the soldiers…just then…thank you…’

‘Ah, that? It’s nothing…A bit harder please, Deok ah, to my left.’

‘Ouch!’

‘Deok ah, what’s wrong?’

(Eun turns around and sees Soondeok holding her wounded arm)

‘Heck! I totally forgot about it! We need to get you treated real fast!’

(Eun gets out of the bath and wraps a towel around his waist)

‘Deok ah, you can open your eyes now. Ayyy…just open them, I’m all wrapped up now! Here, here’s your towel, and your pajamas’ over there. I’ll go outside and grab something first, you can change in peace… you wait for me in our room, alright?’

‘Okay…’

‘Ah, here, Deok ah, give me that arm.’

(Soondeok gives him her wounded arm. Eun uses his headband to wrap it.)

‘Your highness! That’s your headband!’

‘It’ll be messy if I don’t do this, I don’t want blood all over your clothes, all over the floor… There, you dry yourself and get changed, okay darling?’

(Soondeok nods)

-------------Later------------

‘Deok ah, this is wine – we can use this to clean your wound.’

(Eun unwraps her arm and pours wine gently over it. Soondeok holds her breath and endures the pain.)

‘Does it hurt?’

(Soondeok forces a smile and shakes her head)

‘Liar. Look at this! This must’ve hurt a lot. It’s fortunate that it’s not too deep…Aigoo…how can they do this to you?’

(Eun soaks a towel in wine and dabs it on the wound)

‘Ouch!’

‘Sorry…Deok ah, does it hurt very much?’

(Soondeok nods)

‘Me too…it hurts me to see you hurt like this, Deok ah…what happened?’

‘S-sword fight, that’s all.’

‘And you were so confident in yourself…Here, I’ve brought some gauze as well. Let me wrap it up for you.’

‘Thanks…Your highness.’

(Eun wraps Soondeok’s arm up)

‘Oppa… Actually, tonight I was…’

(Eun pecks Soondeok on the lips)

‘Shh, darling, I’ll hear it out tomorrow. Right now, you need to sleep, okay?’

‘Are you not mad at me?’

‘Deok ah, we’ll talk about this tomorrow, hm? I’m not mad, not at all. Now, let’s sleep.’

‘Goodnight…’

‘Goodnight, Deok ah, I love you.’

‘I love you too, Oppa.’

 

[Note from author: Sorry guys, don't know when I can update again, please wait for it ^.^]