Stop hurting her!

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

We’re moving today – just waiting for the people from father’s house to arrive.

He found out, at last. The stuff Eun wanted to burn…Haesoo’s stuff…I told a maid to put them in the store room and Eun found it himself yesterday. He was angry I didn’t tell him I’ve kept it all hidden away…then I reminded him how he had wanted to burn everything and I was the one who kept it all along. He wouldn’t listen, then went on about how I was jealous of him liking Haesoo, blah blah blah…My heart hurts, of course it does, but I’m used to it. When we move into my room at my old place, I’m afraid I’ll have to sleep next to him again. The prince said he’ll visit the king today – while I take care of the move…I wonder what’s gotten into him, I guess mother finally persuaded him.

The king’s health hasn’t been at its best lately and everyone’s been going crazy about who’ll be the heir to the throne. If Yo ever becomes the heir, I’ll have to escape with Eun right away – the queen and her son will not let any male royals survive, I’m sure of it – after seeing how they ruthlessly threw mother out and almost sentenced Haesoo to death. But if it’s the crown prince, I suppose we won’t have to worry too much, he and I fought in battle before – though with a kind heart, he has a weak body…I hope he’ll live through it all.

Eun’s diary

As I was putting my things in the store room, I saw a nice box so I went over and looked inside, and there I found the things I’ve asked Soondeok to get rid of a year ago! The things reminding me of Haesoo! I’m confused…Shouldn’t Soondeok burn them all if she hates the idea of me liking Haesoo so much? For some reason, I got angry at Soondeok, I guess I was just too emotional back then. But me finding it out now…could it be a sign from heaven that Haesoo and I were really destined to be with each other? I’ve heard that she’s back in the palace to attend the king now, I’ll surely be able to see her this afternoon when I visit the king. I’ll apologize and I’ll ask her to wait for me and marry me! I’ve even written a poem for her, she’ll surely appreciate how smart I’ve become!

By the way, last night I heard some noise in the middle of the night…a lady’s voice, very soft – so soft that I can’t make out what she was saying, but I’ve heard it with my own ears. Kinda creepy actually…what if there’re ghosts here? I’ve never liked the idea of ghosts and sprites…I’ll definitely go after the sound if I ever hear it again, I’m sure there’re no ghosts in this world. To think that I’ll have to sleep with Soondeok again on the same bed in her new place is bad enough… Whatever I do, I must stay away from her, I can’t lose control and have her carry my child. Never! Also, I had a nightmare last night…a nightmare of me reaching out for Soondeok’s hand…it was all very blurry I can’t make out where I was in my dream, but there’s only thing I had in mind then – I need to reach out to grab Soondeok’s hand. I woke up in cold sweat, that’s when I heard the scary ghostly soft noises…it’s sending chills up my spine as I think of it…yikes!

------------------------------------

‘Haesoo! Haesoo! It’s me! Eun! I’ve heard you’re back in the palace! How have you been?’

‘Greetings, your highness.’

‘Come on, you can lift your head up and look at me! Don’t tell me you’re still mad because of what I said before?’

‘No, your highness.’

‘Let me tell you a great news! Don’t let anyone know, promise?’

‘Great news?’

‘Soondeok agreed to have divorce with me! 3 years after our marriage and if she still can’t bring forth a child, which I guarantee, then I can file a divorce and she’ll have to agree! She already said she will! So, if you marry me, you won’t be my second wife, but my first!’

‘Your highness…’

‘Oh, and I have been catching up on my studies! I’ve written a poem for you! Here, take it!’

(Eun puts it in Haesoo’s hand but Haesoo tears the paper to pieces)

‘Hae…Haesoo ah…’

‘Your highness! Look at me! You even know what status I’m in now? I’m a maid, a very low maid.’

‘I don’t mind! I love you, isn’t that enough?’

‘Fine, let’s go now.’

‘What?’

‘Now! Come on! Now!’

‘But…I…’

‘Come on, you know – let’s go!’

‘Just let me go back to my house…to get something…and say goodbye to my mother, and…’

‘No, if you love me, come with me now. Even knowing that it’s death sentence for anyone running away with a palace maid.’

‘Haesoo ah…’

‘Your highness. You see? You hesitated. You didn’t really want to. Do you even know what love is? I’m really disappointed in you, your highness. I thought you’re a loyal man, I guess I was wrong. You weren’t smart…but at least you’ve got character, and I liked you for it. When we first met, you were willing to be my friend, you were brave and kind…how did you…how did you end up being so ruthless to your wife?’

‘Haesoo ah…that’s because…that’s because I don’t like her, I like you! No! I love you!’

‘No…you’re not doing this because you love me, you’re doing this because you hate Soondeok. You’re doing this to make your wife angry, to hurt her, to make her sad. Prince…it’s been a year already. Don’t you think it’s time you stop acting so childish, stop hurting your wife and start treating her nicely? Have you ever asked her how she felt? Do you even know her? What’s her favourite colour? What’s her favourite food? What she likes? What she dislikes?’

‘Of course I know! After all, I’ve been with her for that long…she likes pink! No…purple? Wait…blue?’

‘See? What will you do if you know I like someone else and ignore you?’

‘Haesoo…I’ll definitely be sad. Very sad! I’d rather die!’

‘Well your highness, let me be frank with you. There’s someone else in my heart. So please! I beg of you! Stop dreaming of the impossible and start being kind to your wife! Even if you don’t have great talent, you should at least keep your character, your loyalty.’

(Leaving but then paused)

‘If I made you feel bad, I apologize, but bear in mind that this is exactly how Soondeok must’ve felt for the past year being with you, your highness… Unlike you, I won’t hate you or try to hurt you to make you stop liking me.’

‘Haesoo…I thought…I’m sorry…I…Haesoo! Haesoo! Come back here! Haesoo! She…likes someone else?’