Heart Attack

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

That woman gave me a heart attack this morning! So…we had a fight last night…I don’t know why, but the moment she mentioned about other guys, I can’t help but feel mad, really really mad. I haven’t felt this mad since the time Haesoo rejected me, that pain is like having a knife stabbed right at my heart. I don’t even understand why I felt this way! I can’t possibly like her, no way. But I just do have this feeling…it’s like seeing other kids using your things at school – the most precious stationary you brought to school that you won’t even use but then suddenly someone comes, takes it and uses it – that sort of feeling. So in the end, we slept in silence. She said something about vanishing quicker than I thought, I didn’t answer her – too angry to do that last night!

I guess I shouldn’t have left the windows open because it was really cold this morning. The cold sea breeze woke me up and I got up thinking that since it’s almost time to see the sunrise, I may as well get up. I looked behind me only to find that Soondeok’s not there, not on the bed, not in our room nor in the bath. I panicked, I sure did panic. I called her name several times but no answer came. I went to find the inn keeper who had night duty and he said he saw a woman leaving the inn just a few while ago. He said it was a young woman with long eyelashes, big and beautiful smile and has hair tied up. That was Soondeok, I was sure of it. So I ran out the direction he showed me which was the road leading to the port.

The sky grew a bit brighter by the time I arrived there – it’s still very early but I could see her standing by the rails, leaning over. Back then I didn’t have time to think – I just ran straight at her and pulled her away from the rails, grabbing hold of her and asking how could she think of doing such a thing. I honestly thought she was going to kill herself! But then she looked at me in shock and told me she had only come out to see the sun rise. I really don’t understand that woman. Really! Just as I was about to apologize for what happened last night, she pointed over the sea and said, ‘Look! Sunrise!’

I gazed and sure enough, there it was. A golden sphere rising above the waters slowly – brightening up the sky gently and waking the earth up. All my troubles seem to have been washed away. It was the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen – a clear sky, a calm sea, and…having someone beside me to share the joy with. I guess I was a bit off last night, I’ll try to make her feel better now, like my little sister.

Soondeok’s diary

The prince honestly scared me this morning! I was just enjoying the sea breeze while leaning over the rail when he suddenly came and pulled me away. I don’t know what shocked me more, the fact that he got up so early or the fact that he worried about me. I feel sorry for arguing with him last night…he seemed hurt from thinking about the past…I shall never bring the subject up again, even when the prince does, I’ll push it away. We’ll be returning to the capital today, no point continuing this trip – besides, mother would be worried sick about us. When I get back, I suppose I should lose weight – Eun said I was heavy last night when I accidentally fell on top of him…how embarrassing…By the way, I’m not sure if I’ve heard it right, but I heard him yelling ‘wife’ this morning as he ran towards me. Could I have been mistaken?