Visit the King

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

It’s been a week since I married the prince so as to the tradition, we have to enter the palace and greet the king this morning. I should’ve reminded the prince last night because he slept in again this morning! I told him to wake up as I get out of bed to wash up and he nodded so I assumed he’ll get up afterwards, but when I’m done and returned, he’s still there, deep in sleep. So I had no choice but to shake him awake. He was mad I did that, who wouldn’t? But I had to today, we cannot be late when the king is the one waiting for us! I told him that we have to meet the king and he immediately bounced up. I got his palace clothes out then left the room as he gives himself a quick wash. I waited for a long time before he finally came out and we hastily get into the carriage that took us to the palace. We made it there just in time for the king’s morning tea break. The king smiled and greeted us warmly as we did our formal greetings. I’ve never seen the king up close, even on our wedding I only saw him in a distant. Eun acts differently when he’s in front of the king – I suppose the king was a strict father, and Eun probably took a lot of scolding for not studying and fooling around. His majesty asked us some questions, the usual: how was the wedding? Did you guys enjoy being together? What have you been doing? I answered most of them, since Eun seemed quite firm to keep his mouth shut. The king liked my answers, he reminded me of father. I miss daddy so badly, but it’s not proper for me to visit my father without my in-laws bringing up the topic first. However, the king did ask a funny question – he asked if Eun had trouble sleeping with me. Eun’s face suddenly changed and he stuttered as he answered no. I was going to say something but he grabbed my hand under the table telling me not to. The king said he had something to talk to Eun alone so I left them and waited in the garden. The garden in the palace is absolutely gorgeous, with lots of flowers I’ve never seen before. I want to bring some home for mother so badly, she seemed lonely living in the house with us rather than living in the palace like the king’s other wives.  I guess I’ll need to be with her more often.

Eun’s diary

That was so close! I didn’t think the king would ask about it! And Soondeok, that innocent girl thought the king was simply referring to us sleeping together. Should I call her dumb or be thankful that she is that innocent? After she went out, the king gave me this red book saying I should read it. I know what’s in it and I have no plan to read it whatsoever. Since we’re in the palace, I was afraid we’ll bump into Haesoo, luckily we didn’t. Gosh! Why am I mentioning her here? We’re over! All over!

I didn’t want to meet father, I still hate him for making me marry Soondeok, but I held it in. I hate him for this marriage. I hate him for giving me this ugly name! I hate him for having so many wives! I hate him for throwing mother away! I hate him for hurting mother! I hate him for telling me to have kids soon! I hate him I hate him I hate him!

I swear, if I can just throw away my title as prince, I’ll do that in a blink of an eye! I’m sick of this palace! Sick of this life! I’m sick of doing things people tell me to! I need to leave the capital! I need to breathe!