My wife needs me!

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

'Hello? Anyone here?'

'What is it?'

'Oh...I came from the capital...my bro...uh, I mean, my master told me to buy herbs here.'

'Herbs? We don't sell herbs.'

'Please...oh, this letter...this letter here. He wrote it and told me to give it to your boss.'

'Just a minute...I'll bring it to him, you wait right here.'

(Boss comes out with his other men)

'Greetings. Yes, I see you're looking for that herb. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while for it.'

'When will I be able to get it? It's urgent...my wife...her life depends on it!'

'I understand, sir, but I'm afraid we can do nothing but wait for it to arrive. You'll have to wait here.'

'If you guys don't sell it, I'm sure other shops will have some. I'll go and check.'

'No! I mean...you need to stay here. Here, right here. It's for your own good.'

'Nonsense! I can go whenever I want. I'll travel all over Goryeo to find it if I need to!'

(Eun turns to leave, men come and grab him)

'Hey! Let me go! What are you guys doing?'

'I'm sorry sir, you left us no choice. Lock him in the store room!'

'Yes sir!'

'Hey wait! Let me go! Why are you doing this to me? Let me go! I need to find the herb! My wife needs it! She'll die if she doesn't have it! I will pay! I'm willing to pay! Just let me go!'

(Locks Eun in the store room. Eun bangs on the door.)

'Hello! Anyone? You can't do this to me! Let me out! My wife! My wife needs me! Guys! Please...please...'

(Eun sits on the floor)

'Soondeok ah...Oh Soondeok ah...what should I do? Oh please be alright...hang in there, your husband will get you the herbs, don't worry. I will do it...I must do it!'

(Gets back up and bang on the door)

'Let me out! Let me out!!!!!'

-----------Outside----------

'Boss...who is that man?'

'He's Prince Eun.'

'What? Then why did we...'

'Lady Soondeok wants us to smuggle him out of Goryeo in case Yo becomes king. Haha! My my! So, I guess this is the man I've heard she loves so badly. Her brother was right, the prince really is very different from his sister. I wonder what made her love him so.'

'What do we do now sir?'

'Firstly, have our men sent to collect any news concerning the king. The moment Yo is confirmed to be king, we must do as the master tells us.'

'How will we get him out when he's this loud?'

'We'll have to put him to sleep...then we'll hide him among the cargo as we sail away. Get things ready and prepare the boat. We could leave any time. Understand?'

'Yes sir! Wait, is Lady Soondeok not coming?'

'That girl, if that's the Soondeok I know, she'll stay in the capital.'

'What? Why? If Yo ever becomes king, she'll die too.'

'She'll probably try to save her father. Aigoo, that girl's completely blinded by love. We just need to do our job. Now, get going.'

'Yes sir!'

-----------------------------------

Soondeok's diary

I feel really uneasy these days...every second I fear the news will come, saying Yo has claimed the throne. I've prepared everything for mother's escape. I will not go with her – my maid will take her there. I will stay and try to free father – I am her daughter after all...before I was Eun's wife. 

The prince will probably be there by now...will he listen to our men and wait? I doubt it...with the prince's character, I think he'll fuss about having to wait and will try to find the herb elsewhere...Then I suppose our men will have no choice but to lock him up somewhere...Oh, to think that the prince is somewhere cold and dirty while being desperate to get my herbs...this thought really pains me. But at least I know he's in safe hands now – yet why do I keep hearing his cry ringing in my ears? I miss him dearly...I miss his smile, his voice, his childish acts, his endless complaints. I think I've been enchanted by him...is it because of my medicine? Is it a side effect or I've been overdosed?

I body feels better now and can walk without panting much. I'm going over Eun's things as I have nothing to do but wait. He really loves to keep very interesting things. All those toys he got from the Persian merchants, will he get mad if he finds out I touched them?

Eun's diary

I've been locked up like a dog...these men must've kicked out the original owner of the shop and have claimed it as their own, that's why they said they don't sell herbs here. I need to get out, I need to! Before Soondeok's medicine runs out, I need to return with it. If anything happens to Soondeok, it'll break mother's heart...maybe even worse than the time father threw her out of the palace. Oh heavens, hear my prayer! Please keep my Soondeok safe...I'll be nicer to her when I return, I promise!