You can't change fate

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Previously.....

(Then Eun carries Soondeok as they continue to kiss. Eun kicks open the door behind them and falls right on top of his wife as they landed inside the room. It’s summer and being in a small room is stuffy as well as unbearable, so Eun gets on his knees to take off his clothes but suddenly, he freezes, for they’re not alone in the room.)

---------------------------

‘Oppa, what’s wrong? You want me to take it off for you?’

‘Uhh, Deok ah-’

‘Here, I’ll take it off for you.’

‘No, Deok ah, we can’t…he’s here.’

‘He? Who?’

‘Your…your father.’

‘My father? MY FATHER?!’

(Soondeok sits up while pushing Eun over and turns around – sure enough, her father, the old lady, and her son are all there – mouths wide open)

Soondeok: ‘F…father! I…how did you, I mean when did you come back?’

Father: ‘Not important.’

Eun: ‘F…father, please accept our greetings.’

(Eun bumps Soondeok on the shoulder)

Soondeok: ‘Ah yes! Greetings, please accept our greetings, it’s been a long time after all.’

Father: ‘Forget it, your dramatic entrance did the job.’

(Eun and Soondeok look at each other then look away – blushing)

Father: ‘Ya, if you guys want to do it, just do it at home. This is the sacred temple, is that how I taught you daughter?’

Soondeok: ‘No! Certainly not! I…I’m sorry, father.’

(Father sighs then look at Eun)

Father: ‘Son.’

Eun: ‘Yes sir!’

Father: ‘Why are you guys here?’

Eun: ‘Ah, sir…you see, we’re here to see the old lady, after what happened last night, I mean, this morning…I mean…uh…’

Hyungsik: ‘In short, you don’t trust me, right?’

Eun: ‘Of course not! It’s just that…we’d like to see how the old lady’s doing, that’s all, we did save her…’

Father: ‘You two men, come out with me, let the ladies chit chat here. I have something to say.’

(Father gets up and leaves the room while the two men follow, Soondeok walks closer to the old lady who’s been silent the whole time, observing)

‘My daughter, Soondeok right? Is that your name? I’m sorry, my memory’s not as good as it once was.’

‘Yes ma’am, that’s my name.’

‘My dear, you’re beautiful.’

‘I…’

‘Just like your mother.’

‘You know my mother?’

‘Your father was my master’s best friend – friend is hardly the correct word for it, they’re more like brothers. Your parents visited my master’s place often, it was their second home, your brother loved coming to our place, just like your sister did. You would’ve spent half your time there had the incident not taken place…’

‘Oh…I…I’m sorry something like that happened…’

‘Yes well, no one wanted it to…’

‘Still…’

‘How long have you married the prince again?’

‘Almost 3 years, ma’am, we’ll be celebrating our 3rd anniversary soon.’

‘And children?’

‘I…not…not yet…’

‘Why’s that?’

‘I…well…we kept our distance for around 2 years…the prince was not very fond of me. And…because my health wouldn’t allow me…’

‘Oh? Is that right? In my opinion, you’re in excellent health.’

‘It may seem so for a certain period of time, but then it’ll go down again.’

‘Hmm…the medicine that I gave you.’

‘Ah yes, I’m sorry I couldn’t return it to you-’

‘Oh no no no, that’s not what I was going to ask, no darling, that was my gift to you, you keep it.’

‘I…the thing is, I’ve already used it…’

‘Oh dear.’

‘I was shot by an arrow not a while ago…right here at my heart, I would’ve lost my life had it not for your pill, ma’am. Thank you.’

‘I see…well darling, let me ask you something. Have you slept with the prince since that incident?’

‘I…no…I…no we haven’t.’

‘Ah ha…yes, then what about what just happened when you two came in-’

‘Oh that was an accident! No, I mean…well we were…I just…’

(The old lady laughs)

‘Oh my child, you don’t have to tell me, I was just curious, that’s all.’

‘About what?’

‘Why your fate and your story doesn’t match.’

‘My…fate?’

‘Yes, I can read a bit – people’s future, not good at it, but I’m never wrong.’

‘What do you see then, ma’am? What is it that you see that made you so curious? What was it that doesn’t match?’

‘My dear, you’ll soon find that out yourself. Just remember to look out for your husband, understand?’

‘Yes ma’am, I understand.’

‘Now, you better go out and rescue him, I’m afraid your father’s too shocked by the scene of you two, you know…being close to each other…’

‘How long will you stay here? I’ll come visit you soon.’

‘No need, I’ll be leaving with Hyungsik today.’

‘Where to?’

‘His hideout.’

‘His hideout?’

‘He’s been here for a while now. He’s got his own men working for him, they…they help the poor in their own way.’

‘Are they…per chance…are they the group of bandits who steal from the rich and give to the poor? I’ve been hearing about them lately.’

‘You’re as smart as your mother was, and fast too. Yes, yes they are.’

‘I see…’

‘Aren’t you curious about your mother? You can ask me anything.’

‘Not really…I mean…father’s told me enough already, but everything will just end with the story of how she died because I was born so…’

‘Oh darling…’

‘Anyway, thanks for the offer. I’ll be leaving now, like you said, I have to rescue my husband.’

(As Soondeok’s about the leave, the old lady got up to give her a hug)

‘My dear, sometimes blessings will come unexpectedly without us knowing – and that goes with trouble too. Stay safe, my child.’

--------------------------------------

(After dismissing Hyungsik, father goes over and sits on a bench under a tree just outside the building – Eun walks over and kneels down in front of him)

‘What are you doing?’

‘Please accept my apology, father, for the way I treated your daughter today, just then.’

‘Why? You didn’t do anything wrong. Continue when you guys get home.’

‘F…father.’

(Father chuckles a bit then makes a straight face again)

‘Son, got to seize your chance when you have a chance. I’m just happy to see you two being so in love with each other, I’m glad I didn’t stop my daughter from marrying you in the beginning.’

‘Thank you sir…’

‘Stop calling me sir now. Call me father.’

‘Yes, father.’

(Father looks around)

‘Ah, a beautiful day as such reminds me of the good old days…I miss your mother-in-law… Ah, by the way, have you seen Bogum?’

‘He…he’s here?’

‘He’s been saying here with the old lady and Mi-ah this whole time, don’t you know? Aigoo, I hope he’ll be back soon, Hyungsik can’t stay long…’

‘You want him to say goodbye to the old lady before she leaves?’

‘No son, I want him to meet his brother, and know the truth – well, it won’t be a pleasant scene I foresee, imagine seeing your twin brother showing up after all these years and suddenly discovering that he’s actually a traitor’s son…it will be tough for him to take it all in.’

‘He…wait…they’re related?’

‘Didn’t Soondeok tell you? My girl’s keeping her lips tight…’

‘I don’t understand, father.’

‘You don’t need to, it won’t do you any good anyway…maybe that’s why she didn’t tell you. Oh, there she is now. Soondeok! Over here.’

Soondeok: ‘Father. How can you make the prince kneel like that?’

(Eun bounces up)

Eun: ‘No! Your father didn’t make me, I did it myself.’

Soondeok: ‘Are you hurt? Did he make you run? Did he make you do push-ups? Father, you know the prince-’

Father: ‘Ya ya ya, I didn’t do any of that. Who do you think I am? Some kind of evili father-in-law who’ll work his son-in-law to death?’

Soondeok: ‘Yes.’

Father: ‘Aigoo, look at you…after all these years following me…aigoo, you – oh whatever.’

Eun: ‘What did the old lady say?’

Soondeok: ‘Nothing much…we just chatted, you know…’

Father: ‘You two better leave now, I’m afraid Bogum will return any minute and I assure you, you won’t want to see how messy it’ll get. You know how emotional Bogum can be.’

Eun: ‘I know.’

Father: ‘Be on your way now, either travel around or go back home and carry on with your business, I don’t care, just promise me you’ll stay safe, okay?’

Soondeok: ‘Yes father, we will.’

(Father walks back to the building, but before he gets into the room, he turns and shout)

Father: ‘Hey! Son!’

(Startled, Eun turns around to look at his father-in-law)

Eun: ‘Y…yes father?’

Father: ‘It’s a bit early but, happy birthday! I’ll send you a gift later!’

Eun: ‘Th…thank you sir- I mean, thank you father!’

(Father waves goodbye then goes into the room)

-----------------------------

‘General, you seem pretty happy today.’

‘He’s finally head over heels for her, how can I not? I’ve always been worried…guess I don’t need to anymore, ha! So, did you read her future for me?’

(The lady sighs)

‘Yes.’

‘How is it?’

‘Good news first or bad news first?’

‘G…good news first.’

‘Well, general, you’ll have a grandchild soon, don’t need to worry.’

‘You sure?’

‘The blessing of having many children is written all over her face, general. It shouldn’t be long now.’

‘It’d better not be long. That old man is not going to put up an easy fight.’

‘Old man?’

‘The prince’s grandfather. He’s been too busy lately.’

‘Oh dear, don’t tell me it’s about…’

‘Yes, he’s preparing for that.’

‘Oh my, do they know?’

‘I don’t think so – I’ll deal with it my own way, how dare he try kicking my daughter out?’

(The old lady frowns with worry)

‘What’s wrong?’

‘There’s something else I saw on your daughter’s face, general…the bad news.’

‘Yes…the bad news.’

‘I…I’m afraid…I can’t tell you, general, it’s her fate, you can’t stop it.’

‘Just tell me. I’ll know what to do. Does it have something to do with her death?’

(The old lady shakes her head)

‘Not her death…’

‘Then…’

‘It’s the prince’s…’

‘What about it?’

‘The prince…he’ll die because of his love for her.’

‘What?’

‘This marriage was never meant to happen. She was never supposed to have anything to do with the royal family, that way she’ll be able to live a long and happy life. But because she has chosen that path, she’ll most likely meet her end soon. But…’

‘But?’

‘But there is a strong force that’s keeping her alive – the prince is keeping her alive, yet he’s using up his own luck. Eventually…the palace’s cruelty will take his life – if he’s not careful.’

‘The palace? He doesn’t give a damn for what goes on in the palace!’

‘Which is what makes him vulnerable.’

‘Oh cut off this rubbish – that’s impossible! It’ll never happen, I’ll never allow it to, not if I’m here!’

‘You can’t change fate. You can only avoid them, and you could’ve if you’d listened to me years ago. I’ve clearly told you not to let anyone in your family marry anyone from the palace, not the king, not the prince – none of them. But did you, dear general, listen?’

‘Don’t start me on that again…’

‘Your elder daughter could’ve lived a happy life, a long life, had you stopped her from marrying the former king.’

‘She insisted!’

‘Out of despair. I warned you, years ago, and now…not only did she suffer, but she’s got your Soondeok in trouble too.’

‘What?’

‘Your youngest daughter met the prince on her wedding day and fell in love with him, had that never happened, she’d never had known the prince…’

‘Then tell me what I should do now.’

‘Either separate them, or protect them. Before any blood is shed.’

‘I’ll protect them.’

‘It’s not as easy as it sounds.’

‘I’ll do anything to protect them, anything for my daughter, my son and my grandchild.’

-------------------------------------

‘Oh? There’s someone at our picnic spot.’

‘There is? What a bummer…’

‘Wait…Deok ah.’

‘Hmm?’

‘He…those two, you see what I see? Those two…look like Bogum and Mi-ah…’

‘Awww, so sweet, Oppa, I think they’re in love!’

‘No! This is not happening! I can’t let him get close to Mi-ah!’

‘Why?’

‘Mi-ah’s like my little sister, and I’m not planning to let her be with that jerk.’

‘Oppa, for the last time, Bogum’s not a jerk, he’s a nice guy, okay?’

‘You won’t say that if you’ve seen what he’s done to me.’

‘You’ve got a bad temper yourself, Oppa.’

‘What?’

‘Just saying.’

‘Oh, so you’re siding with him instead of your husband? HA!’

‘All I’m saying is, they seem like a perfect couple.’

‘Wa…unbelievable! Now I know how your brother felt when he sees me with you – it’s natural for a brother to be protective over his sister. Man! And I’m not letting him touch her – Mi-ah’s too young for love. Love is dangerous you know. She’s too young for that!’

‘Well, you better not look their way now then, Oppa.’

‘Why?’

(Eun looks at them and sure enough, Bogum’s leaning over to kiss Mi-ah. Eun’s eyes can’t get any bigger than they are now)

‘Aish! HOW DARE HE?’

(Eun runs up to them as Soondeok tries to calm him down. Eun pulls Bogum back by his garment and then kneels down to look at Mi-ah)

Eun: ‘Mi-ah! Are you okay? What did he do to you? Are you scared? Don’t worry, brother’s here to protect you.’

Mi-ah: ‘Your highness! I didn’t expect to see you here!’

Bogum: ‘Your highness, Soondeok, I think there’s been some misunderstanding-’

(Eun sits on Bogum and holds him by the collar)

Soondeok: ‘Oppa!’

Eun: ‘You think you can have it easy on Mi-ah because she’s young and knows nothing, huh? You think you can do anything with her just because she’s weak, huh? Well I’m here to tell you, you dare touch her one more time, I swear I’ll break every single bone of yours!’

Bogum: ‘Your highness, please just calm down and have me explain.’

Eun: ‘I don’t care! I’m taking Mi-ah with me. Mi-ah, get up, you’re coming with me – it’s too dangerous for you to stay in the temple with him.’

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, just get off of him first.’

Mi-ah: ‘Your highness…thank you for being a good brother for me but…I can’t live without my husband.’

(Silence)

Soondeok: ‘Mi…Mi-ah…what did you say?’

(Mi-ah helps Bogum sit up)

Mi-ah: ‘Husband, are you alright?’

Eun: ‘M…Mi-ah…you saying that you’re married to him?’

Mi-ah: ‘Yes your highness, I’m sorry we didn’t tell you.’

(Eun looks fiercely at Bogum)

Eun: ‘YOU! YOU MADE HER MARRY YOU DIDN’T YOU? YOU’RE DEAD!!!’

(Eun tries to get to Bogum but Soondeok’s holding him back)

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, relax, they married out of love, there’s nothing to worry about.’

Eun: ‘Love? Mi-ah’s seventeen! What does she know about love?’

Soondeok: ‘And I fell in love with you when I was six! Do you not count that as love?’

Eun: ‘I…honey…it’s different…I saved Mi-ah so SHE won’t have to marry!’

Mi-ah: ‘Your highness, I chose him, he didn’t force me to marry him.’

Bogum: ‘That’s right. I didn’t force her to marry me, your highness. I’m not that kind of person. And for your information, I haven’t slept with her yet, if that’s of your concern.’

Eun: ‘HA! You expect me to believe that? A man not sleeping with his wife? No one will believe you!’

Soondeok: ‘Oppa, I think of all the people, you will.’

Eun: ‘Why?’

(Soondeok gives him the face, the you-know-you’re-talking-about-yourself face.)

Eun: ‘A…anyway! I won’t let anyone hurt my younger sister, and I don’t feel comfortable seeing her being with you.’

Bogum: ‘Then stop me, if you can.’

Eun: ‘Why you!’

Soondeok: ‘Whoa whoa whoa, time out. Oppa, let’s just leave – Sorry guys for interrupting…sorry! Send us a letter once in a while, okay? Okay, bye.’

(Soondeok drags Eun away as Eun keeps turning around and yelling at them)

‘Mi-ah! Don’t be fooled by him! You can still follow me if you want! I’ll protect you!’

‘Oppa! Just shush already! You ruined the mood for them.’

‘WA! Daebak! I can’t believe she married him without letting me know! I helped her escape so she can be free!’

‘Free to do what she wants to do.’

‘I don’t care, my baby sister can’t be with him, I’m going back to them.’

‘Oppa, just-’

(Soondeok makes Eun look at her then kisses him on the lips, just to make him be quiet for a while)

‘Oppa…try to express yourself without waking up all the animals in this forest, please?’

(Eun smirks)

‘Well…maybe I will if you kiss me one more time.’

‘Aigoo, I’ve had enough with you today, Oppa…’

‘Did we? Your father told us to continue when we get home, and I intend to listen to him for once.’

‘You dare? I’ll tie you up if I have to.’

‘Do you really hate it that much? Then why did you insist on helping me undress when we were inside the room, hm? You seemed thirsty for more.’

‘I…I wasn’t thinking straight then…as were you…’

‘Fine…Well well well…so where are we going now? Home?’

‘Not yet, I want to go to a place.’

‘Where?’

‘A cave.’

‘A cave?! Oh no honey, I’m not looking forward to bumping into a bear – a live one at that.’

‘Relax, it’s not for bear hunting. I used to come here when I was young, with father of course, and I once brought with me something special to hide inside a cave not far from here – like a time capsule. I want to open it today, with you.’

‘Sure darling, whatever you say.’

(They hear some rumbling sound.)

‘Looks like it’ll rain soon.’

‘We’ll be quick, Oppa, it’s quite close – get on the horse now. You can be in front this time~’

‘YES!’

To be continued.......