Mongryong!

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Eun’s diary

Oh man! Guess what? Soondeok’s father actually bought us a pet dog! He’s so cute! It’s not fast…but it smiles at everyone that pats its head. I haven’t decided on the name yet – I suppose mother will be the one naming it since father-in-law bought it for her. He must’ve heard Soondeok saying how lonely mother had been living all by herself. Suddenly, I feel like the entire house is alive! Sure the dog’s noisy but I love it the way it is. Soondeok loves to play with it too – she and mother. I still haven’t had much time being with it since the girls kept it to themselves. I know I can have fun with the dog if I join them, but I don’t want to play along Soondeok. It’s not like I hate her…it’s just that I can’t be myself around her, and to have to pretend to like my wife in front of mother is really hard work.

Mother’s been nagging all the time telling us to have kids – I’m really getting sick and tired of it. If only a baby can drop from the sky! Then all my troubles will be lost! If only, if only. Soondeok said she’ll have to give me extra study time…she’ll be with me throughout to make sure I do it properly! What nonsense is that? I can’t even study when she’s not around, how’d she expect me to study well when she’s there?

I told my servants to copy the books for me…hope they’ll finish by today. Maybe I should give up on trying to impress Haesoo by being smart…should I start learning martial arts? I mean, all the hyungs are good with the sword, I guess I could…but then Soondeok will be the one to teach me! Again…not something I want. Oh, I want to drink some wine, if only I have friends to chat with me. But ever since mother’s been banished, all my friends stopped coming to see me – I know it’s not that they don’t like me, but because their parents wouldn’t let them. I understand, who would want their son to hang out with the son of the king’s banished wife? I miss them…

 

Soondeok’s diary

Mongryong! That’s what we’ve decided to call our new pet!!! Father gave it to us last night, it’s the best thing that happened in months! Father got it from a Persian merchant saying it’s a special bred from the far west – indeed I’ve never seen such a dog before. Big ears, short legs, tiny tail and a long body, like a sausage! Its fur is golden yellow and it has the most beautiful grin when it looks up at you! Mother decided to call it that saying that she originally wanted to name the prince this, but the king picked the name Wangeun instead. Imagine! Imagine the prince called Mongryong! Such a cute name! Mother planned to make Mongryong a house, I think it’s just wonderful! She’s even sketched it out for the carpenter to build it – she did it all by herself! I’m really thankful to dad, for making mother this happy and filling up her lonely days with something she can look forward to. I will go to the market today to get the house done, hopefully I can find a nice carpenter – workers in the capital these days are not as honest as used to be.

I’ll go after Eun’s study session, I’ve made him study under my watch because I really want to know how he studies and perhaps deal with the problem. How can he not memorize a paragraph in a week? Even the maid who comes in every now and then to bring us water memorized it!

---------- Later that day ----------

‘There, that’s enough for today.’

‘Finally! Ya, Soondeok ah. How long do you plan to do this?’

‘What do you mean prince?’

‘I mean this! This! This studying and reading and writing!’

‘Until you’ve smarten yourself to the standard of a prince – or impress Haesoo with your knowledge, whichever is quicker.’

‘Ah, I don’t know! I’ll just give up, please spare me! I don’t want to study anymore!’

‘Your highness, if Haesoo said she wants you to, will you?’

‘No one can make me study! I’m done with it! I’m going out!’

‘Out? Where to? I’m going out too! Maybe we can…’

‘No! I’m going out by myself. I’ve had enough of you today…I don't want to see you even when I shop, understand?’

‘Yes your highness.’

‘In the future, even if you do see me outside, pretend you don’t, get it?’

‘I get it. But when will we ever bump into each other outside?’

‘I’m just saying. Ah, so bored! I’m leaving!’

(Eun leaves)

‘Well, it was worth a try…’

(Soondeok leaves as well)

----------Later----------

‘What? 20 yang? That expensive? What nonsense is this?’

‘I’m sorry lady, but 20 yang is 20 yang. Take it or leave it.’

‘Look, I know this is a large company with the best workers and best materials…but 20 yang really is…too much don’t you think? It’s just a small dog house after all.’

‘This woman, I told you, take it or leave it! Now get out of here if you’re going to keep fussing about!’

‘Just because I’m a woman, is that why?’

‘Well, if you want to bargain, then bring your husband! You think we’ll bargain with a girl like you who knows nothing?’

‘Excuse me?’

‘Get out!’

‘I really didn’t want to do this, but it would seem you’ve messed with the wrong girl in town. I need to see your boss! If your boss doesn’t come out, I’ll flip this shop upside down to find him. How dare you insult me just because I’m a woman?’

‘You crazy woman! I ought to teach you a lesson! Guys, come over here! We’ve got some trouble going on, let’s show her how things are done here!’

(Men rushing forward)

‘How exactly are things done here?’

(A young man walks towards Soondeok)

‘Boss…we…we were just…’

‘Tell me, headsman, is that how we treat our customers? Have you been treating them this way?’

‘No…no sir…sorry sir.’

‘You leave this customer to me, I’ll take care of it.’

‘But boss!’

‘I said, I’ll take care of it!’

‘Yes boss…’

‘Have you all got nothing to do? Get back to work!’

‘YES SIR!’

(Other leaves, leaving the young man and Soondeok behind)

‘My apologies, would you mind taking this matter to my office?’

‘Your office?’

‘Yes, much better environment than this noisy, dusty, suffocating workhouse, don’t you think?’

‘I agree…’

‘Here, let me lead you the way.’

(After discussing in office)

‘Thank you sir, for everything.’

‘No, it is I who needs to apologize. I’ll pay closer to my worker’s attitude in the future. You can come and pick up the dog house in around 5 days, will that be alright?’

‘Sure! That’d be nice.’

‘Now, if you’ll just sign here, and here. Thank you. All done, let me show you the way out.’

(Gets up to leave)

‘Oh! You have this too?’

(Soondeok points at small dagger hanging in the office)

‘This? Oh this old thing, it’s been with me a long time.’

‘I had one too! My brother gave them as gifts to his friends when they came over to our house to play. Do you know my brother?’

‘Brother? Wait…You’re Mindeok’s sister?’

‘So you do know my brother!’

‘Of course! Wait, did you guys return to the capital? How can I not know? Wait…you’re her sister so you’re…Hyedeok?’

‘That’s my Onni, I’m Soondeok!’

‘Soondeok? Really? I really didn’t recognize you! You’ve grown into a fine young woman!’

‘And you are?’

‘What? Me? Oh, how rude of me, I’m Sehun, Oh Sehun. I didn’t play in your house often but I did come a couple of times before you guys left to join the army with your father.’

‘So nice to meet you! I’m sure brother would love to meet you again! I remember we used to play together, all of you boys since I didn’t like playing with girls. Remember the war games we did? Wait, were you there?’

‘I sure was! I was on the dragon’s team and we lost.’

‘That’s right! I was on the phoenix’s team! We won! We had to snatch flags from each other, I remember, you must’ve been one of them! My my, all these memories!’

‘Be sure to say hi to your brother for me. I’ve quite busy with business myself, but when I have time I will definitely visit you guys.’

‘Well…you can visit him whenever you want, but I guess it’ll be hard for you to meet me.’

‘Why’s that? Oh right! You’d be married by now! How foolish of me.’

‘But we can meet again, when the dog house’s done. Maybe we can grab ourselves a drink then and catch up.’

‘That’d be nice, I’ll look forward to it. Soondeok ah.’

‘I’m not a little girl anymore.’

‘But you sure do remind me of one. Let’s go, I’ll show you the way out.’

(Leaves)