I miss you

Diary Entry - Eundeok Married Life (Baekhera)

Soondeok’s diary

My my! With a blink of an eye, it’s spring already!!! It’s been a while since I’ve last written. Mother’s spending her spring and summer in the temples, she says she wants to get herself some fresh air. I’ve been spending much time in my old house, because my Onni just moved back! She said there’s no point for her to live in the palace anymore after the king died and she didn’t want to live under Queen Yoo’s shadow so she moved out.

Come to think of it, thanks to Onni, I could meet Eun. It was on Onni’s wedding day that I first saw Eun, that’s when I started to like him. It pains me though, when I look at Onni now. How lonely she must’ve been, living in the palace all by herself, with no children. All of Onni’s children died before the age of 3…which left a trauma in her so deep that she started to have hallucinations. One day she said she heard her son calling on the roof so she got up there, but she slipped and fell down, she hasn’t been able to walk since. My poor Onni…that’s why I’ve been spending all my time with her now, hoping to cheer her up. She seems to be feeling better now, her mind being more stable after she had left the palace, to this I’m grateful. Eun’s not so happy though, he’s mad at how I’ve been spending all my time elsewhere instead of playing with him. But I think he understands, after all, every morning before I leave, he would wake up to see me off, no matter how early it is.

Prince So told me about Eun’s past…I really want to help him out of it, the way he had helped me out of mine. Is there any way I can help him without him knowing that I know? Maybe, if I go through the official records of that as well, I’ll be able to find the real criminal and prove to Eun that he’s not cursed. I really need to go to the palace then – I need to find out the truth. Every time he smiles at me or jokes around, I had to force myself to smile at it now…because I know the pain he hides within. I will help him, I will help him with love – my love will be able to get him out, it has to.

 

Eun’s diary

It’s really too much! I can let it go if Soondeok’s just spending her daytime with her sister, but now she even sleeps over at her old house now! For 3 days, she hasn’t returned to sleep! I hate her for that, for leaving me all alone. I wanted to ride with her so badly! It’s spring time, the flowers are blooming and she’s missing them! But I understand why she’s doing that, her sister experienced many tragic things. Still…if only we can meet more often…maybe I should just go there myself. Yet I don’t want to meet my scary father-in-law…

Oh Soondeok ah, can you just come home already? I miss your smile, I miss your hug, I miss your gentle words before bed…I miss you. She seems to have something on her mind too…her smile hasn’t been the same since she came back from the hunt, I hope it’s not because of her Onni.

Mongryong seems to miss her too, he’s been sitting by the front door as if waiting for her to return. Mother’s not here so the house is almost half empty…why did she have to bring everyone to have a holiday with her? There’s nothing for me to do in my house now! I’m bored! Oh, if only Yixing were here!! Should I just visit my friends? Chanyeol is travelling now…Jongdae’s busy with his hospital – flu’s peak season…Kyungsoo’s busy with the King’s portrait, he has to paint one every year…

My nightmares are getting worse and worse…but I will get over it, I’ve always gotten over it. They are just nightmares…nothing else. I will not let Soondeok know, till the day I die, she will remember me as her cheerful Oppa, that’s all I want.

Wait, is that Mongryong barking? Is Soondeok back?

------------------------------

 

(Eun wants to go out, but then Soondeok comes into the room)

‘YA! Park Soondeok!’

‘Your…your highness…I thought you’re…out riding. You usually do, this time of the day.’

‘How bold of you, huh? You dare come back? Have you been hiding from me? That’s why you choose to come back now?’

‘I’m sorry, Oppa, it’s just that…I’ve been with Onni and when I realize the time in the evening, it’s already really late. You know too, how dangerous it can be for a girl to be out late at night…’

‘Dangerous? Ha! You can fight off any men you come across!’

‘Still…’

‘If that’s an excuse for one night, I’ll take it. But Deok ah, 3 nights really doesn’t make any sense. We were separated for 3 days straight!’

‘I’m sorry, Oppa… I promise, tonight, I really will come back to sleep, really!’

‘Promise?’

‘Yes.’

(Eun pulls Soondeok to him and embraces her)

‘Oppa…’

‘I’ve missed you, Soondeok ah. How’ve you been?’

(Soondeok wraps her arm around Eun)

‘How well can I be when I’m away from Oppa?’

‘Then don’t! Stay with me!’

‘You know I can’t leave Onni alone…why don’t you come over?’

‘Hate it! I don’t want to live in the same house as your father.’

(Silence)

‘You need to let go now, I need to get back.’

‘Wa…look at you! You don’t seem to miss me at all!’

‘No! It’s just that, Onni will be worried if I don’t go back soon. I’ve come here to bring some books with me actually, to read to her.’

‘Fine…you better not stay too late tonight. If you do, I’ll kill you!’

‘I’d like to see you try!’

(Soondeok gets what she needs then leaves)

‘Soondeok ah, wait! You’ve left something!’

‘What is it? What did I leave?’

(Eun kisses Soondeok on her forehead)

‘This.’

----------------------That evening ---------------

(Soondeok reading to her sister)

‘Soondeok ah, shouldn’t you head back now? It’s getting late.’

‘Uh? Just one more chapter, I can read you one more chapter.’

‘Soondeok ah, it’s 2 hours till midnight.’

‘Is…is it? It’s that late already?’

‘Soondeok ah, I know you don’t want me to be lonely, I thank you for it, but now you’re not just my little sister, you’re Prince Eun’s wife as well.’

‘I understand…’

‘Thank you for spending time with me, Deok ah. I feel much better after coming here, thanks to you.’

‘I hope Onni will forget your painful past and be happy again, that’s all.’

‘Soondeok ah…somethings cannot be forgotten, I’ve come to accept it now. Memories can be forgotten…but the feeling remains in the heart.’

‘Onni…’

(Soondeok gives Onni a hug)

‘Soondeok ah, I have something I want you to do it for me…is that okay?’

‘Sure! Just say it, Onni! It shall be done!’

‘I…I want to see the sea myself. Mother used to say…if she must choose between the mountains and the sea, she’d choose the sea – that there’s something special about it. I’ve never seen the sea myself…’

‘I’ll have a carriage ready tomorrow-’

‘No, Soondeok ah…I’m not well to go there now…but rather, why don’t you go in my place? Go and bring back something that will make me feel the sea.’

‘Make you feel the sea? Like…sand and shells and stuff?’

(Onni laughs)

‘Yes, something like that. It doesn’t have to be big…just something that will make me feel a little bit of the sea myself.’

‘I get it Onni. I’ll go tomorrow. And after you’re well enough, let’s go together! The doctor said you’ll be able to stand on your feet again soon! One day, you’ll be able to walk again, then we’ll go to the beach so you can walk on the sand on both your feet!’

‘That’d be nice, Soondeok ah, that’d be really nice. When I can walk again, let’s go there together. Promise?’

‘Promise! So Onni, you can’t give up. You need to do the exercise every day, alright?’

‘I will, don’t worry. And you too…you can’t give up. You need to take good care of yourself. I’m sorry I can’t be more like mother…she begged me to take care of you before she left…’

‘Onni…you’ve done more than I could ask. I’m sure mother understands, you have tried your best to be there for me, like my real mother.’

‘I miss her… I’m sorry I’m bringing this up…’

‘Onni, then I’ll leave tomorrow, when I’m away, Oraboni will take care of you.’

‘Thanks…and Soondeok ah…if possible…don’t take Prince Eun with you.’

‘Hm? Why not?’

‘It’s…it’s just that…’

‘Onni, are you afraid of the curse as well? You think it’s real too?’

(Onni looks shocked)

‘You know about it?’

‘Don’t worry, Onni, it’s all a lie. Eun isn’t cursed, I won’t die, Onni. Clearly someone’s onto him, that’s all.’

‘Stay…stay safe…and stay out of Queen Yoo’s way.’

‘I understand Onni, I will.’

(Onni hugs Soondeok)

‘Now, I think it’s really getting late. You should sleep in your room tonight.’

‘But…I promised the prince I’ll go back…’

‘I’m sure you did…but it’s too dangerous now. If you really are going to go back, you need to have someone you, understand?’

‘Yes Onni, goodnight.’

(Soondeok leaves. She thinks for a moment then goes to her room. She changes into her pyjama then lies on her bed, thinking.)

‘I’ll just sleep here tonight…tomorrow I’ll go back to pack things then I’ll ask the prince to come to the sea with me…he’ll be so happy, he won’t be mad at me for not returning tonight. After all…it really is too dangerous.

(Soondeok smiles)

‘Aigoo…this room feels so empty…if only Oppa is here…’

‘Soondeok ah!!!!!!!!’

(Eun pops out of nowhere and jumps on Soondeok, Soondeok screams.)

‘AHHHH! Oppa! You scared the hell out of me!’

‘You said you wish I was here, well, here I am! Ta-da!!’

‘Still…gosh, you’re giving me a heart attack…ouch…ouch…Oppa…help me…’

(Soondeok grabs her chest, Eun panics.)

‘S…Soondeok ah…you alright? I’m sorry…you alright? Where are your pills?’

(Soondeok smiles then laughs at Eun)

‘I got you! I got you this time, Oppa! Look at your face! You should’ve seen your face! You looked so worried!’

‘You’re…alright?’

‘I was playing around with you, Oppa. I’m fine.’

(Eun realizes he’s been fooled)

‘Ya~ How dare you? I was afraid back then, thinking I’ve made you have another heart attack!’

‘But it was so funny! Oppa’s face was funny!’

‘Aish! I’ll teach you a lesson! First you wouldn’t come back home to sleep, now you’re making fun of me for worrying about you? Have you forgotten I’m your husband, huh?’

‘What are you going to do then? Are you going to kill me?’

(Soondeok sticks her tongue out, Eun smirks)

‘Kill you? That’d be too light for a punishment. My dear Soondeok, I’m gonna kiss you till you beg for mercy!’

(Eun first attacks Soondeok by kissing her cheeks, then slowly attacks Soondeok’s neck – the way she did it to him before – bit by bit.)

‘Uh? That’s different. Oppa, you’re taking your time this time.’

‘You like it?’

‘It feels weird. It’s…is it hot in here? I’m hot…Oppa, can you open the window?’

‘Ha! That’s what you did to me, that night when you’re drunk. Like this, you kissed me…bit by bit, torturing me.’

‘Liar! I would’ve never done such a thing!’

‘But oh, you did, Deok ah.’

‘Me? Kissing your neck? ME? You’ve got to be kidding!’

‘You want me to re-enact it all out for you?’

(Eun pins Soondeok’s arms down above her head with one hand and runs his other hand on Soondeok’s tummy)

‘You were like this then, very naughty indeed.’

‘Nonsense! Oppa! Stop it! It tickles! Hahaha! Stop it!! Oh my gosh, it’s embarrassing!’

‘My hands haven’t even gone up yet and you’re embarrassed already? What am I going to do with you, Deok ah? You dare make fun of me one more time, Soondeok ah, I swear I’ll punish you this way over and over again!’

‘Please…hahahaha…I’m sorry I tricked you…please stop…it tickles!’

‘Soondeok ah…I don’t want to hold in tonight…I want to give you my all…I’m going to make you my woman.’

‘Hmm? Come again? Hahaha, stop! It tickles!!’

‘Any last words, hmm?’

‘Man! You’re serious? Well, there was something I needed to tell you…what was it? Ah! I remember! Oppa, I’m going to the west sea tomorrow.’

(Eun stops)

‘What? Why?’

‘You can come too if you want to. Onni wants me to bring back some feelings of the sea for her – I plan to paint the sea there and bring back some sea shells too. Will you come?’

‘Heck ya! Is that even a question? Of course I’ll come!’

‘Good! We’ll leave early tomorrow morning. Now, what were you going to do again?’

‘Never mind… uuhh… what did I expect? I got myself loaded for nothing…’

(Eun rolls over and blows out the candle)

‘You’re sleeping? I thought you were, going to make me yours.’

‘I was!’

‘What does that mean actually, Oppa?’

‘Forget it…if I make you mine tonight, you won’t be able to walk for 3 days, I swear!’

‘Why?’

‘Let’s just sleep, Deok ah, before I regret it.’

‘Goodnight, Oppa.’

‘Goodnight.’

(Soondeok hugs Eun)

‘It feels so good to sleep next to you again, Oppa. Sweet dreams.’

‘Sweet dreams…I need that…Soondeok ah.’