Chapter 64

Externally Ethereal(revamping, title might change)

   One thing you will definitely be able to remember is that calling this a festival was definitely an understatement.

   Currently you were walking down a finely-milled dirt road that led from the doors of the castle to around and through the forum. You could tell how often this 'road' has been used and you wonder how long has this civilization been standing with Iroh as a regent. Clearly Persephone has lended a hand but it couldn't be with how often she is in the underworld.  You take deep interest in some stone pathways that branch off and begin from the dirt path.

"Are you guys serious right now? It can't be like this the entire night." you whine.

   It was like being a movie star. The guardians boxed themselves around you, Persephone, Athena, and Sophie. Luhan, Kyungsoo, and Tao marched in front of you and you were absolutely sure there was a science to it.

"There is. I can read minds and detect threats and Tao can slow down time so if someone tries to get through us Kyungsoo can stop them."  Luhan explains in your head, like it was a useless fact.

"You are all so uptight, god." you groan. Sophie snorts.

   Chanyeol is standing behind Tao chuckling at your comment. Behind him is Sehun who has been trying to have some sort of skinship since this formation has left the castle. And behind him is Xiumin looking stoic as ever, obviously taking his duty very seriously. The path you are taking hasn't formally passed any people, so you have been trying to move to the right as you walk to make goofy faces at Xiumin so he could cheer up. He isn't finding it funny. 

   However, on the left Baekhyun keeps losing composure. In front of him is Suho and in front of Suho is Chen. Everytime you go to do something to lighten up the mood, Baekhyun starts having trouble with attempting to keep a straight face. Suho has even smacked your hand away because you tried poking him in the side to see if he's ticklish.

"Patience, you will be able to have fun when the festivities start." Persephone said with a soft grin, finding your playfulness amusing.

"Although you will have to pick at least one guardian to be with you at all times." Athena reminded.

"I recommend Yixing, Yuri. He's a healer if something happens, you know." Sophia added.

"Wise choice." Athena declared proudly.

   You were so close to agree, but something nagged at the back of your mind. Along with that, you could almost feel a stare boring into the back of your head. Then it gave you an idea.

"No, I think I'm going to go with Kris." you state nonchalantly.

"What?" all of the boys say.

   Luhan actually makes the entire formation halt as he stops dead in his tracks and turns to you. 

"Go with?" he questions.

"Why-?" Yixing was going to say.

"That's my choice and I'm sticking to it. Right skyscraper?" you say, turning away from Luhan's stare to meet the eyes of Kris. He does not seem pleased at all.

   He ignores you and the formation begins walking again. 

"Well aren't you the jolly green giant?" you mutter.

"I heard that."

   His gruff voice nearly shocks you. It has been less than five occasions on which you have heard him speak. That low rumble in the back of his throat is unmistakable. You would like to hear it more.

"Does it look like I'm trying to hide anything?" you tempt with sass.

"Yuri, stop." Kai reprimands, who has been behind Baekhyun and next to Yixing the entire time.

   You listen to the teleporter and the entire group is able to stay silent for more than ten seconds. Or so you thought.

"So I guess you're not always the one bossing around, huh?" Kris retorts.

"Guess not, cutie."

   Your smile even makes Sophie look at you like you've grown a second head. Finally after all this walking, you approach the crowds of people who begin to cheer louder than they ever have before.


   You were just as uncomfortable as you thought you would be.

   The citizens began chanting your name and you visibly cringed at the thought. You aren't used to all this attention and it all seems quite silly to you. Why do they feel the need to do this? You haven't done anything helpful, you fled your own planet because you were too weak. Too unprepared. 

"That's not true." Luhan says loud enough for you to hear as the parade continues. 

"Now is the time for happiness, young goddess. Appreciate those who stand and kneel before you." Persephone whispered near your shoulder.

   Instead of letting yourself die in awkwardness and embarrassment, you focus on the village surrounding you. It was like walking into a renaissance faire. Everything was more colored than you thought it would be and adults and children of all ages were running around with gleeful smiles. Decorations and flags hung from every surface and there was a common theme of emerald green and gold. 

"What do the colors mean?" you question.

"It's your signature. Most similar to a- what do you mortals call it- a coat of arms?" Athena explains.

"Oh, it was decided for me?"

"For years, they wanted it to be black and white, like the light and the dark." Xiumin interrupted.

"What changed their mind?"

"They believed that the true demi goddess of balance would want harmony and life associated with her recognition. Since it was known that she, or you, would be a descendant of Persephone and most of her guardians, or us, held a force of nature. It just fits." Suho added.

   There was truth in that. Xiumin, Luhan, Chen, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Sehun, and even Kris all had powers associated with forces of life in nature. It didn't make the other three seem less powerful, but it just made sense. You've heard talk around the castle while passing by maids and staff gossiping about how they think Luhan or Tao is the ones with the most power. In all honesty, you believe they are equally gifted. And it helps distinguish the real unique qualities they possess. 

"All hail the reign of Statera!" one shouted.

"Pray to the heart of your goddess." a mother said to her tiny child, who looked absolutely terrified of the guardians marching in step.

   The mother brought the child closer to the formation block and the little boy clung to his mother's thigh for dear life, nearly teary eyed.

"Wait." you say out loud, but none of the boys seem to notice.

"Guys! Hold on! Guys stop- you know what? HALT!" you shouted.

   All twelve boys stopped immediately and you nearly tripped over Kyungsoo in the process. They all look stunned and Yixing walked up to you asking if something was wrong and if you felt okay. You waved him off. 

"Kris, come with me." you ordered.

"Why?" he asked, uninterested.

"Doesn't matter why." you fired back.

   You leave the protective force field that is your guardians and walk over to the little boy and mother. Kris hesitantly follows and sighs, standing protectively five feet behind, surveying the crowd around you. Every citizen that could see what's happening all quieted down.

   Approaching the woman, she goes to kneel and you grab her by the elbow gently to stop her.

"There's no need, I should be the one kneeling. Not everyone can raise a family." you smile sweetly.

   She nods profusely and then looks to her son. She gestures for him to step out from her grasp to greet you, but he shakes his head.

"Don't disobey a goddess!" the mother snaps.

"Woah woah it's okay, it's okay really." you respond with your hands raised in surrender. Some people around you gasp as you take a knee to meet with the boy's face who is currently buried in the robes of his mother's clothing.

'Hi there, I'm Yuri. What's your name?" you ask. 

   He looks in your direction but doesn't respond.

"It's alright, there's no reason to be scared."

"Javier." he squeaks.

"Hmm?"

"My name is Javier."

   You look up at his mother from your kneeling position, surely getting dirt on the light colored material of your dress.

"Meaning bright, correct?" You ask, she nods. "I like finding the meaning of names. Some people believe my name means glass, others think it means justice."

"I would go with justice giving your standpoint, my lady." she giggles and you smile back.

"Well Javier, that is a stunning name I must say. Where is your daddy?"

"He passed during military training, there was a big accident." his mother interrupted mournfully.

"James was a good man." says a voice behind you.

   Glancing over your shoulder, Kris has an expression of guilt and sadness. What happened?

"You knew my James?" said the woman.

"Aye, I did. Stubborn old man he was."

   The mother laughs, "That's him! Could never get him to do nothin', once he decided on somethin' he stuck to it!"

"You are Grace, right?" Kris asks, and your jaw nearly drops. You have never seen him this nice before. 

"I am! James told you about us?" Grace gasps, holding a hand over her heart with tears in her eyes.

"Every day. I'm sorry for what happened. I hope your family continues with peace." he says sincerely, and you feel your heart skip.

"Did you hear that Javi? Daddy knew a guardian!" Grace whispers. The boy's mouth forms a circle with wide eyes.

"And now you know a goddess. How about you and your mommy come have breakfast with me and Kris tomorrow? I'd love to hear you talk more." you say, and Grace bursts into tears.

"I knew you'd be a goddess of compassion, I knew it!" she cries.

   You openly hug her with the little boy between you. The public explodes with cheering and shouts, and for a reason you can't explain, tears form in your eyes too. Happiness and the feeling of love overwhelm your chest. 

"It's time to go." Kris says, and just like that he's back to his cold, stony attitude.

"Wait", you say and you take the wreath off your crown to pluck a red flower, "bring this tomorrow to the castle and I'll have a man let you inside. His name is Iroh and he's really kind."

   Handing the boy the flower, you rise from your spot and pat the dirt off your knees. You say your good-bye's and walk back with Kris at your side.

"How did you know him?" you ask curiously.

"Because he sacrificed his life training to protect you for when you decided to arrive. You were a month too late."

   The venom in his voice makes your stomach drop and tie into knots. You lower your head and let out a slow breath. What were you supposed to do in a situation like that?

   Ignoring his presence the rest of the time, you enter the block and stand next to Chen. He gives you a sad smile and rubs your shoulder, you shrug.

"Hey I have a question." you say after you regain your posture and continue walking. 

"Okay, shoot."

"Well, I have two."

"Alright."

"Who is 'Statera'?"

"You are."

"Huh?"

   You look at him absolutely confused. One corner of his mouth quirks up and reveals some of his teeth. Oh, how you could definitely get lost in his smile. He catches your expression an blushes before looking away to answer.

"It's an epithet."

"A what?"

"Epithet. You know how they called the war hero Alexander. 'Alexander the Great'? That's what an epithet is. Statera directly translates to balance. They're not saying that your the goddess of balance, but you're the existence of it. As in you are balance."

"Wow..." You whistle.

"What is your other question?"

"Where are we walking to?"

   He outright laughs. It develops into more of a deep bellow laugh like he just heard the funniest joke in the world. 

"I'm serious!"


 

 

 

 

A/N: Things are going to pick up pace from here. What are your ship names for Christina and Iroh

Did I mention the story is shortly coming to an end?