Chapter 2(2020 U)

Externally Ethereal(revamping, title might change)

You sighed.

Wow, the day is beautiful. Well rather the twilight is.

  Going on walks was always such a great thing to do. It was just...so peaceful. Even if it was just to school. You loved seeing everything grow and bloom. Like the cherry blossom trees. Glancing at one, you smiled.

Gosh, they’re just so pretty.

  Everything seemed to be calm. As you began to walk along on the sidewalk, you noticed that there really weren’t any cars driving passing by, coming nor leaving.

Strange. Shouldn’t people be going to work by now?

  But that didn’t really bother you anyway. Next to the sidewalk you were walking on was a forest. Moonlight Path was mainly a huge forest, and ,unfortunately, people have always been pushing to make it modern. You hated that. You hated that selfish people have to destroy such a beautiful environment just to fulfill their desires. Big houses, businesses, factories, roads instead of dirt paths.

  You began to see headlights and sighed yet again, but out of disappointment. You checked your phone to see how much percentage was left when you noticed the time.

“!”

  You only had 10 minutes 'til your first hour started.

Where the hell did the time go? I thought I left early enough.

  Then you glanced to your left at the forest.

Hmmm….

  You knew growing up that the forest had a trail that would cut the distance between you and the school by at least half.

No harm in giving it a shot. Might be late anyways.

  So turning and picking up haste, you marched into the woods. Now you just needed to find the trail.

  Back here there were no cherry blossom trees, doesn’t mean there were many trees though. Ash, maples, willows, pines; they all made up this forest. Anything close to a cherry blossom was the dogwoods.

This is the place to be. Such a shame I have to hurry.

  You looked off into the distance ahead of you and saw the trail. Running towards it, you finally got on.

Maybe on the way home I can come through here.

  Staring at the nature around you, you lost track of time. You don't know how long it was until the trail led you to a clearing. Maybe it was because you were deeply lost in thought and staring at the world around you. Then you began to panic. You've never seen this before and began to wonder what trail you would take. You've always thought there was only one.

. I don’t know where I am.

  Looking around, you saw that the clearing was at least the size of a football field and you had no idea how long you been walking on the path until it led you to that place. Surprisingly, your phone dinged.

  Taking it out of your pocket, you saw that it was now at 11 percent and you got a text message from Christina.

 

Hey honey can you stop by the market and pick up a loaf of bread and flour on your way home? Hope you have a great day at school.

-Christina

 

How do I even have service out here?

  You replied back.

 

Sure thing!

 

Yet again, strange.

  Looking up, you saw that directly in front of you across the field was where the path picked up. You jogged across and continued. Ten minutes passed and you knew you’re late. And you were going to be super late. You were still wondering why you thought you left early enough. Another couple minutes went by and you were now on the sidewalk across from the market Christina told you to go to after school.

Whoa, neat. That means I’m only a block away from school. Yep, definitely taking the forest trail from now on.

  And with that, you went and officially started your long day.


   Your first class was study hall, and you were definitely happy about that. When you walked in, you got a lot of stares and heard a lot of unwanted whispers.

"Isn't that the rich girl?"

"Yeah the one that lives on the plantation estate?"

"Bet she's a racist, wouldn't surprise me."

"And I bet she thinks she's too good to talk to us. That's how she's always been."

Uh, ouch, okay. That's not nice.

   The teacher looked up from his laptop and saw you, he nodded his head. The study hall was basically two big classrooms connected to each other to make a wide open space with desks everywhere, at least 80. You sat down softly and put your head down. You knew that all these stupid pricks gossiped about you everytime they saw you, and most likely behind your back when you aren't there. But so what? You didn't live to please them, not anymore at least.You're a senior in high school, and in all that time, you dealt with this.

   After study hall, you felt as if time slowed down twice its original amount. You trudged through Pre-Calc next, and then Government, and then another study hall. That was the one thing you enjoyed about your last year there, you had just about all your required classes out of the way, especially since it was second semester. At least in the second study hall, you did homework from the earlier classes to pass the time. The bell finally rang and you didn't mind rushing to lunch. You weren't hungry anyways.

This day seems so off.

   So instead of heading to a loud and obnoxious cafeteria, you walked to the fine arts wing. A smile appeared across your face once you realized that your band director was in his office.

   You joined band after your parents' accident. Christina suggested it was a good idea to help you release the stress and anxiety that was built up. Right after it happened, you shut yourself down, locked yourself away. And then the panic attacks came. The feeling that you were going to die. That wherever you were, you had to run and get away fast but you were too afraid to move. Christina found you on the floor rocking back forth and sobbing, time after time. She took you to the doctor once because she said she couldn't handle seeing you like this. That she felt she was going to lose you too. You were all Christina had left as well. She basically had to drag you as you pushed away and refused. You told the doctor about the panic attacks, the anxiety, the stress, the nightmares, and the lonely heartbreaking nights where it was just too much to handle. You were later diagnosed with traumatic stress and a panic disorder.

   But you discovered that she was right, that learning music was the answer. You joined symphonic band and picked up on the bari saxophone, and you never put it down since. Maybe it was that it had a pitch so low it equaled that of tuba, bet held more soul. More feeling. You believe that the bari saxophone was the balance. It was considered a low brass and a woodwind, plus you along with the tubas were the bass line. And what was great was that nobody cared at the same time. Tubas were more relied on, so you were never in the spotlight unless it was on your own accord, and you loved that.

   Your director saw you and smiled and waved you in. Opening the door, you plopped on the couch across from his desk that was in his office. He didn't say anything as you set your stuff down, he knew all that you have been through. He was the only teacher you could confide in. Maybe it was due to the fact that each of you held a precious love for music. So you never felt uncomfortable, and you were sure that feeling was mutual.

   After a couple of minutes, the both of you made small conversation. It was just the everyday "how are you's" and "what have you been up to". After lunch you remained in that area of the school because you had band next. This was the advantage of going to fine arts wing instead of lunch, you never had to be late to band. During that class period, all you did was work on the three music pieces you had to perform at your spring concert towards the end of the year. Once that class was over, all you had left was creative writing, your second choice as an elective.

   Finally your school day came to an end.


   Walking out of school, you remembered what Chritstina texted you. Looking at your phone, you sighed. It was dead. It obviously wasn't a surprise. You suddenly got happier when you realized that after the market, you could take the forest trail home.

   Stepping into the market, you walked down an aisle and picked out a loaf of bread with the brand that Christina usually bought. Picking it up, you looked over and saw a woman staring at you. Looking away suddenly, you left the aisle to go find the flour.

   Once you got to that aisle, you saw the woman again. There she was. 

Why the hell is she following me?

   Or was she? Couldn't it be that she just walked into the same aisle as you again and stared for that reason? Whoever she was, she looked pretty. She looked at least six feet tall and had long wavy brown hair. She was wearing a floral dress that looked as if she made it. It was just so pretty. Seeing that, you noticed that her skin had a nice olive glow to it. And with that, you brushed the thought off your shoulder. She was just a really pretty woman, that's all.

   Without a care, you walked to the register, paid, and then left. Stepping outside, you felt the feather-light wind as it softly blew through your hair. It was just so nice out. And then you saw it.

   Across the street right by the forest trail was a little stand that someone put up on the sidewalk.

Well, that's weird.

   But yet you were intrigued. You saw an old man sitting behind the table set up and he smiled at you. Looking both ways, you crossed the busy street. 

   You saw that he had to at least be in his seventies when you approached him. You looked down and gasped. It was jewelry. All very beautiful jewelry. There were necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, pins, you name it. You picked up a pair of earrings that caught your attention. There were little flowers with a pearl middle and silver petals.

I have to get this for Christina.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

   You jumped from being startled. The man's voice was quiet and soft, not gravely and hoarse like you would think it would be. He smiled at me again with a twinkle in his eye.

"I must buy it, I know someone who would love this. How much is it?"

   The earrings would fit Christina well. She was never into huge flashy appearances. She liked the small things, simple or elegant. Sometimes both. Realizing that, you really needed to get this for her. She would love it so much, you just knew it.

"That's sweet of you, if it's a present how about just give me ten dollars."

What? For earrings that are REAL silver with REAL pearls?

"What are you sure? I'm willing to pay more, it's okay I have enough on me." you implied.

"No no no, it's alright. I need to sell these anyways."

   Sighing you handed over the small amount of money. He took the earring and put them in a minature velvet drawstring bag.

"I hope whoever the person you're buying for will love it." he said nicely.

"Thank you." you replied as you smiled back at him.

   You were turning around when you noticed something else on the table.

Whoa, how did I not see that?

   It was a necklace. But instead of it being silver, the string was a leather cord, and it had a pendant on it at least the size of your palm.

   And you found it absolutely beautiful.

"Excuse me sir, what's this?"

   You picked it up and showed it to him. And then your eyes rounded. Not from the old man's reaction or what he said, but what you felt when you picked it up.

   Love. 

   Was it love?

   It was weird. As soon as you touched the string and lifted it up, you were enveloped in warmth. The only way you could explain it was if someone was holding you, telling you that everything was going to be okay. And it almost brought tears to your eyes for some reason.

What in the actual is wrong with me right now.

   The old man looked shocked as well, you didn't really know why. Then he spoke.

"Take it if you want."

"What?"

"Go ahead, I've had it for so many decades and the way you looked at it just now tells me it found a new owner."

Huh?

"Are you sure?"

"Yes go ahead, it never held importance to me. Found it one day and decided to keep it. Go on."

"Wow, thank you so much."

   He just nodded his head and smiled. You looked at him, took the necklace, and turned to walk down that trail path.


   You enjoyed the forest even more now that you could take your time going home. The feather-light breeze was still among you when you reached the open clearing. Sighing, you set the groceries down and looked at your new piece of jewelry. You held it in your hand the whole way, you loved the feeling it gave you. Gazing at it, you felt how warm it was against your palm.

I should put it on. It would be less of a hassle to carry the bread and flour with both hands.

   Lifting it up, the sun caught the pendant. You were in awe. You could not understand why it intrigued you so much. You were so thankful that the man let you have it. You didn't think you could pull yourself away from it if he had said no. Finally, you put it on.

   That's when everything changed.

   The feeling was indescribable. You became teary-eyed. You just felt so happy, like a burden was lifted off your shoulders. Amazingly, it didn't feel heavy hanging from your neck. It went down to right above your belly button. You didn't realize it was so long.

What's happening?

   Then you heard a light female voice call your name.

"What I think what's happening is that the world finally found it's demi-goddess of balance."

   You looked up. And screamed.

   The woman from the market was standing ten feet in front of you in the clearing. Your jaw dropped.

What the hell? Oh god I'm going to die. She followed me. Who is she?

   Your mind began to shout questions.

"Shhhhh. It's okay, there's no need to be afraid of me. Please don't leave. You need to know!"

"Excuse me?" you found yourself asking.

"You need to know. The time has come."

What the ! She's crazy!

"What in the hell are you talking about? How do you know my name? Who are you?" you demanded.

"You may have heard of me before. My name is Persephone."

Yep, she's definitely out of her mind. And she knows my name. Wonderful.

   You struggled to find words. What is going on? What's happening right now?

"Do you need help? Do I need to take you somewhere ma'am?" you tried to say calmly.

"No we need you though. Please, listen to me."

We? WE? There's no one else here but us!

"Uh-"

"My dear, I am the actual Persephone. And you are my descendant, and from looking at that," she said while pointing at the necklace you put on, "tells me that we have found the demi-goddess of balance and the Keeper of the Guardians. You."

"What? I don't understand, who is the 'we'?" you asked.

"Your Guardians." she simply stated.

"What do you mean my guardians?"

   She sighed.

"This is going to take a little while to explain. Please bear with me."

   This whole time, you were holding onto your necklace. You only bought it today and it already felt like a security blanket.

You know what, it. I have nothing else to do. I 'll listen.

   I nodded my head slowly and she began.

" A long time ago- and when I say long ago I mean it dear-, a king and a queen gave birth to twelve children. But this was no ordinary family. The king is Sol, the reason why we have our sun, and the queen is Luna, the reason why we have the moon. Their children all hold a special ability that is unique to each and every one of them and belongs to no one else. However, the children were very young when a terrible war reaped through their kingdom. It was all planned by an evil sorcerer who wanted to kill the children. The sorcerer imprisoned the king and queen and their home was turned to ruins. This was all predicted by anicent oracle on Delphi, known as Apollo's oracle, my brother. Unfortunately it came true. But before this horrid being could take the children, Luna called me to her side and told me to take them and take them far away. So that's what I did. Matter of fact, I took them to another planet. The planet we call EXO. There, the children were raised by their planets parthenon and they became these guardians. Shortly after that terrible war ended, my brothers oracle told of a girl that will soon be born as the demi-goddess who would control the earth's balance, known to be a descendant from me. It was also said that she is, and will always be, the 'Keeper' of her Guardians."

"They're immortal?"

"Yes they are. You, my sweet child, are that girl. And it is proven since that necklace found you."

"I don't understand."

"Today you will. The time has come for you to receive your first two guardians that should be attached to your heartstrings forevermore."

WHAT.

"Wait, what do you mean my heartstrings?"

"Each of these warriors are going to develop a 'heartstring bond' between you. It will develop once I give you their bond necklace. I will summon them and you will put the necklace on them. From then on, the bond will never sever."

"Why me?"

"You are the sole reason why Earth has balance. Why one side cannot live without the other. You cannot live without them, nor can they live without you. Therefore they are put forth into your care from now on. Protect each other. Love each other."

   You just stood there. You had so many questions running through your mind. This woman cannot be crazy. No one could just make that up. You were standing in front of a real goddess. And apparently you are one too. Kinda.

"Why now?"

"You will find out later. It's now time to call upon your first two guardians. You will gain two more after two days. This will repeat until all twelve are with you and you have developed all the bonds. From there, they will teach you your abilities. The order you get them does not have a pattern, such as age or personality or ability. You will gain two at random each time. Do you understand?"

"I guess so."

"Okay, this is a lot to take in dear so I understand if you're having conflicting feelings. Like the feeling that necklace gives you versus the panic you are showing. I can see it, I can feel it. Let me summon the first two."

   At that time, she raised her hands to the sky and closed her eyes. What happened next, you couldn't believe at first.

   Not even a milisecond passed after that when a black mist appeared and two boys stepped out.

Oh god. She's not kidding. ohmygod.

   Your mouth stood agape and you stared at them. They were between you and Peresephone and they didn't mind staring back. They looked around your age. They were side by side and dressed in what seemed to be long pieces of cloth. The boy on the left had a child-like face and brown curly hair, the one on the right was more darker skinned and his hair was jet black. And, boy oh boy were, were they nice to look at. Boy on the left was shorter than Boy on the right. 

Woah, I wonder what their names are?

   Both of them lowered their eyes to your stomach and saw you still holding the pendant on the necklace. They both looked up and the shorter boy on the left smiled widely and spoke.

"Goddess! She's the one, Kai!"

   The taller boy on the right looked at the smiling, curly-haired boy on the left and smiled. You point to the one on the right.

"Your name is Kai then?" you asked.

  His smile didn't fade and he nodded. Then the other boy stepped towards you and spoke again.

"Goddess, my name is Luhan!"

"Ah, uhm, you don't have to call me that, uh-Luhan. But it's nice to meet you."

   The whole time Persephone stood there smiling, watching them. You then looked at her.

"Uhm, am I supposed to do the thing now?" you asked her.

"What? Oh yes, let me get it"

   Luhan and Kai looked at each other and actually started hugging each other. And jumping. Like little girls. 

I'm guessing they're pretty happy to meet me too. Or to claim them or bond us or whatever it's called.

Persephone pulled two necklaces out of thin air. They were silver looking and each had a small charm that let off a glow. She handed them to you. Then there it was, that feeling again. You smiled and the two boys saw that you did. You then looked at the charms. Randomly picking one, you spoke to them.

"Okay so who's is this?"

"That's mine Goddess!" Kai quickly said.

"Well come here then."

   He walked to you and actually got on one knee and bowed his head. You gently put the necklace on him. He suddenly stood up.

   And he hugged you. He actually hugged you.

   You jumped in reaction, but it didn't seem like he noticed, or if he did and he didn't care. You just stood there holding onto the other necklace.

"If you're curious why Kai did that, you placed the necklace around his neck he felt the same feeling you did when you put on yours." Persephone said.

"Oh okay, that makes sense. Uhm Kai? Can you, uhm, let go? I have to do the same thing to your, ah, brother." you said.

He quickly released you and stepped back, never letting go of that million dollar smile of his. Luhan then approached you and did the same thing Kai did. He got on one knee and bowed his head. Before looking at the charm on the necklace one more time, you placed it gently around his neck.

   Afterwards he got up and stared at you. He looked so happy. The only expression you could compare it to is if someone were to give you a puppy. It was so cute, he was absolutely adorable.

"Well then, I hope you have fun as you spend the next two days together. Talk to them, provide them a place to sleep and eat. The three of you will meet me back here around the same time once those 2 days pass. Good luck." Persephone said.

   And with that, she was gone.

   You were left there with two gorgeous boys standing in front you.

"Uhm, shall we go then?" I said.

   They nodded and they began to follow you as you picked up your groceries and began to walk through the clearing.

What the hell did I just get myself into?