Chapter 46

Externally Ethereal(revamping, title might change)

  The darkness of night began to approach as everyone was running around the house in a panic. Sophie was giving out orders and assigning roles. Matter of fact, if you all weren’t in such a dire situation you would almost admire her confidence and realize how great you two work together.

 

  Persephone was in the corner of the room with her eyes closed. Her fingers were against her temples and she mentioned something about talking to her husband real quick. So that left Kyungsoo sitting on the floor against the sliding glass window trying to connect to the earth at a last effort to try and find the ‘scale of balance’. He was in a meditating position but quickly glancing over you see his forehead is scrunched and he seems frustrated.

 

  A couple minutes ago the boys power cleaned the kitchen (bless whatever luck that let this happen when most of the boys were here, or else nobody would know what to do) and boarded up all the broken windows. Right after that Suho, Chen, and Sehun decided to stand outside in the backyard (near the sliding glass door where Kyungsoo is on the other side, just in case) and create a large storm to cover up any strange occurrences that might happen tonight. Running out of the kitchen (you were grabbing knives and strapping them to your body like a psychotic war veteran) you see them outside. Sehun is waving his arms in a gigantic circle looking up at the sky, Chen is raising his arms with his eyes focused, looking back and forth at the forming clouds, and Suho is standing with his eyes closed and his arms stretched out.

 

  On the other hand, Luhan was standing by the front door mocking Persephone’s action. According to him, he was reaching out (with his weird brain waves or something) trying to penetrate anybody’s thoughts that could belong to someone malicious.

 

  Yixing was sitting with Christina trying to help her process everything and calm her down. She started panicking after Sophie issued our plans and you knew she was concerned for everyone’s health. However, if worse comes to worse you are confident that Christina can pull herself together and do whatever she can, whatever she has to. And that gave you a little hope, it was all you could do from not panicking as if something were to happen to her.

 

  Kai was the only one you let leave the property. He was teleporting to and from places near and in the forest. His goal is to find anyone human and convince them to go somewhere else while keeping an eye on anyone (or anything) that is not supposed to be there. You were currently wondering about him because he hasn’t checked in with Luhan or came back.

 

  Xiumin, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun were running back and forth across the entire house. They were locking windows and doors, and Xiumin even froze the locks and windows in some places so it would be even harder to get in. Baekhyun would makes stops throughout all the rooms to see if anyone needed help.

 

“It would be so much easier if I already knew this balance thing.” You say out loud, putting on your combat boots.

 

“I honestly wish Tao was here.” Yixing said from Christina’s side.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because he could slow down time for us. He’s really good in battle too.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Plus Kris could be flying around doing the same thing Kai is doing.”

 

  The television then makes a siren noise and everyone who is in the living room jumps, including Kyungsoo who was knocked out of his meditating position. There is a moving label moving across the screen calling for a huge storm. You smile as they issue everyone to stay inside.

 

“Perfect.” you hear Sophie say from somewhere throughout the house.

 

“Has anyone talked to Kai?” you ask loudly.

 

“I haven’t heard anything.” Luhan responds from the front end of the home.

 

  At that moment, Sehun slides open the glass door and steps into the living room, wind blowing in along with them. One side of his mouth quirked up and he nodded his head to everyone in the room.

 

“Wind isth strong. If I add any more it might start a tornado, so what can I do now?” he asked.

 

“I think we have to head out soon.” you sigh, because you might as well not procrastinate any longer. Persephone then steps out from the corner back to normal.

 

“Your Keeper is right I’m afraid.” the goddess says.

 

“No!” Christina interrupted.

 

  Everyone turned to her direction and her expression shown anger as well as fear. You knew she would do this, that she wouldn’t just let you walk out there that easily.

 

“Chri-” you start.

 

“No Yuri, no. I can’t let you do this.”

 

“Christina I need to-”

 

“You’re still a child!”

 

“Ma’am please, it is dire-” Persephone started.

 

“And you!” Christina shouted, pointing at the goddess before her, “Who do you think you are just showing up out of the blue? Acting like you care for my baby!”

 

“I do not mean to-”

 

“She is all I have left, do you not understand? There is no one else!” Christina wailed, breaking into a fit of violent sobs.

 

  You quickly run over and take Lay’s spot next to her and hold her tight. It has been so many years since you have witnessed her act this way. By this time, Sophie and most of the boys have heard the maid’s distress and rushed into the room. She began to rock back and forth and it shattered your heart to pieces, because you know. You know she’s right, you are all she has left and you have basically been her daughter throughout your precious teenage years.

 

“Christina look at me. Please.” you begged softly, waiting for her teary eyes to meet yours.

 

“Persephone is a goddess. A real goddess. If she says that I am one too, and that I need to protect innocent lives, then I am going to do it.” you tried saying as calmly and smoothly as possible.

 

“You may be a goddess on the outside-” Christina began.

 

“A remarkable, young, ethereal goddess if I may add.” Persephone chimed.

 

“-but you are still my little girl on the inside. I should be the one to protect you.” she tried reasoning.

 

“You are my priority too”, you replied, “and that means I need to shelter you as well, no matter how awkward that seems. I have these abilities Christina, these abilities to do good, and if I don’t stop them people are going to die. People who lived and were raised alongside us. People you know.”

 

“It’s not fair.” Christina whined, letting out one last sob.

 

“Christina you are my only stronghold. My boys keep me safe, and I am chosen to watch over them and guide them, but you are my voice and reason. You are my fortress. You are my home. And I need my home to be left standing tall and proud when I come back, okay? Because I will Christina. I will come back.” you said teary-eyed, overcoming with emotion.

 

  Christina leans over and hugs you and you feel no shame holding her tightly back, as an act of reassurance. Some of the boys have glistening eyes as well, and it isn’t until Sophie reaches for your shoulder that you finally pull away from Christina.

 

  As you walk away with heavy steps Sehun and Suho walk towards her, ready to serve their position. Sophie paces your way and hugs you tightly as well, whispering “you better come back home” before patting your back for good measure and then going to join your guardians. As you look at the rest of the boys around you Sophie unrolls a large map on the coffee table and grabs a marker. She places a letter ‘x’ where each person is suppose to be stationed.

 

“Alright boys, let’s go.” you confidently muster.

 

  Everyone else, including Persephone, began to follow you. As you make it to the front door by Luhan (he wasn’t in the living room but he clearly understood what happened) he looked up from the ground and shook his head at you. You frown.

 

“You sure we can do this?” Chen speaks up for the first time.

 

  Following his question, he makes his way over to you and he slips his hand into yours, making your face react in shock. This is the closest intimate skinship he has done with you since he has arrived, and it melts your heart.

 

“Absolutely. I love you guys. I have faith in you.” you smile.

 

  You walk out the door hand in hand with Chen, ready to face the world. But there was one thought still left lingering on your mind:


Where’s Kai?


 

 

 

A/N: I am so sorry.

 

I didn't mean to take this long to update, review and finals week got in the way and I had to focus on that.

How is everyone? I miss you all!

I am now on break so I will have time to update more often (I am going to work on CU next). However, I am going to Chicago tomorrow for 2 days so don't expect anything too soon.

 

I have a question for you all!

Comment down belowm, what has been your most favorite moment in Externally Ethereal so far?

 

See you then!