When There's No Exempt Individual to the Lottery of Death

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1st of double update

 

Yuri POV

No. Not my brother. not my brother too.

"Yoong!" Jessica shouted in so much panic as she rushed towards him. I quickly ordered my security personnel to call for an ambulance. Several of my security personnel secured the perimeter.

"Sunkyu go with your mother." I ordered him. Tiffany still looked so shocked at what happened. I quickly shouted at Rap. "Rap! Take Tiff and Kyu away. Get them to back safe in the car."

"Yes, boss!" He quickly attended to my wife and son, despite her former's hesitation. I rushed towards my brother and Jessica.

"Yoong, please. Please don't leave me." She pleaded while sobbing so hard. "Yoong, don't leave me. Yoong..."

Our standby ambulance has arrived. The respondents quickly attended for my brother and took him inside. Jessica and I rode it as well.

Throughout our travel, Jessica never stopped on crying and pleading for him to be okay. As we arrived and were only allowed to stay outside the operating room, Jessica had a breakdown. She couldn't control her emotions anymore and almost fell on the ground.

I pulled her to my arms. I embraced her tightly. "It will be okay, Jessica. It will be, okay. Don't worry."

"Yuri, I don't want to lose Yoong. I don't want to lose him too. Yuri."

"You're not going to lose him. He's not gonna die. He won't be. Please have faith."

Soon, the others have arrived. Tiffany immediately attended to her best friend along with Sunny and Hyoyeon.

Then, I happened to just stare at the door of the operating room. "Yuri." Tiffany called and reached for my hand. Then, she hugged me. "He'll be okay..."

I felt my cheeks were wet with tears. "He must survive this. He really must."

Eventually, Taeyeon and Sooyoung arrived. The former gave me a hug. "He's gonna survive this, man. Better be strong."

"Yeah. He will. Thanks, Taeng."

Sooyoung was just staring at us sorrowfully but with a hint of confusion on his face. I uttered to him, "He's my half-brother, Soo."

His jaw dropped. "What the---!" He stared at the door of the operating room. "We've been hunting for your half-brother for years. Me and Yoong... Now, it turned out he was just searching for himself?" He looked at me, "You didn't tell him yet?"

"I haven't even told him straight." I chuckled bitterly. "Well, I did but he didn't believe me. He's too dense to accept it."

"Damn..."

"..."

"How could this happen to him? Why? We've been protecting the girls... It turned out we're all not safe."

"We're all not safe in the first place, Sooyoung." Uncle Vincent snapped. "No one's exempted." He stood in front of me. "Perhaps, our enemy's too near us."

Our gazes met. He added, "He or she might be one of us."

"Yeah..."

Then, I recalled one of Sehun's last words to Tiffany...

*"You're not safe here. You're not safe with them. You'll be safe with me. Trust me on this, noona."*

Uncle Vincent's right. The culprit might be one of us. The one feeding information to the enemy... the one breaching the tight security we imposed...

I am confident with mine and the Hwangs' security groups. That time at the mall... I secured the whole perimeter. That's despite how crowded that place is. Not only that... Everywhere we go. Even at the graveyard earlier. I ensured the place was clearly reserved just for the funeral. No other visitors were allowed. Yet, that happened.

Uncle snapped, "Can I speak to you privately?"

"Okay..."

We went farther away from the rest. Then, he whispered, "I talked to the management of the cemetery. The two white cars were identified to be among us and even included in the list." He showed me two different documents. "This one on the left is the original list of vehicles we gave their management. This other one was the now the one they had. Someone might have replaced this during the process. That's the reason why those two cars got inside."

I balled my fists out of anger. "We deployed every man at every gate. We made sure the whole place is safe and now this still happened?!"

"They were carrying heavier weapons. On the gate where they entered, everyone was shot dead."

"God damn it..."

"This is really getting out of hand. Our enemies have already taken action. We should never again let our guard down."

"Yes..."

"I already had this place completely secured. Now if something happened again, I'm sure the culprit's really just within us." He looked at the rest.

"Do you already have one in mind?"

"Yes."

He gazed back to me, "Do you have the same person in mind?"

"Yeah, I guess." I briefly glanced at them then back to uncle.

"Let me handle this. I will plant a wrong information to that culprit for a frame up. We can't exactly confront that person right away."

"Right..."

Uncle and I went back to the rest. Soon after, Yoong's family came: Grandmother Yuna, Sir Im Minhyuk and his mother, Hana. Grandma Yuna and Miss Hana were so much in tears. Mom and Aunt Elise went to console them.

Sir Im Minhyuk approached me. "How was he?" he asked. "What happened?"

"He suffered from multiple gunshots. Three on the abdomen, one on the right rib, and another on his broken forearm. Until now, there's still no update from the doctor."

"I see..." He stared at the operating room and sighed deeply.


After a while, one of the doctors came out, "He needs a blood transfusion. The patient's A-negative. Who among here are of the same blood type or O-negative?" He wandered his gaze, "Family? Anyone?"

I stepped out and responded, "I am A-negative, doc."

"Okay. We'll have you undergo compatibility testing with the patient first before we proceed."

"Alright. Thank you."

---

Yoong has survived the operation. Currently, he's transferred to the ICU of the hospital. The doctor said, his condition is still critical, that, he still has to recover fully from this. Until now, he's still unconscious, though.

I decided to just stay in the hallway and give the Ims some privacy to be with him inside the room. Jessica's also with them too, though.

A few moments later, Tiffany came. She sat beside me. "Hey there." she greeted.

"Hey there."

"Is he still unconscious?"

"Yeah, I guess so..."

Then she sighed deeply as she rested her head on my shoulder, "How could this happen again?"

"..."

"First my two brothers... now yours..."

"We better be even more careful from now on, Tiffany. The enemy's really starting to move now."

"Yeah..."

"Where's Sunkyu, by the way?"

"Sunny and Tao took him home. I told Rap Monster to accompany them too along with your seven loyal bodyguards and five from mine. But, of course, the house is still heavily secured by my team. He's safe. Too safe." Then, she said darkly, "Else, I'll never forgive those security employees of ours if something bad happens to Kyu. I will have them all garroted. No exceptions."

"Yah. Fany-yah. Don't be like that."

"What's wrong with what I said? We keep on paying them for security yet, what's happening now?"

"It's not their fault, okay."

She sighed deeply. "Fine... I'll just make them suffer for the rest of their lives."

"Who are the ones deployed here, by the way?"

"My security group. Look, Yuri. It's not that I don't trust your team, but, I think the insider came from your security group. There's no way the insider will be from my team."

I sighed, "Yeah, I know."

"Who do you think it is?"

"You better not know."

"Gee. Again?"

"You're not a good secret keeper, Tiff."

"Oh yeah? Any proof?"

I chuckled, "Do you really want a proof?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter