White Flags Raised by Both Counterparties

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri POV

I never thought it will all turn out like this. It was only just few hours ago when she joked about death. Yet, I didn't really know if she's serious on it.

Jessica's now fighting for her life for more than three hours now in the operating room. Tiffany immediately called me as soon as they arrived at the hospital's emergency room. I then contacted everyone else. Yoong's the first one to arrive and then, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung. However, we couldn't contact Taeyeon for some unknown reason.

Tiffany's tears haven't stop from falling until now. She couldn't even get her mind straight and goes in panic each and every time the clock ticks a minute. No one can ease the pain she's feeling right now though, not even me. Witnessing such a dreadful scene is indeed the most traumatic of all.

This news really had me in total shock too. Until this time, I feel like my mind's floating in the air, thinking of all the what ifs and of all the regrets. I shouldn't have gone to Incheon. I should have just stayed then followed her too. Maybe, I would have been able to save my friend.

Yet, I wasn't the only one being consumed by remorse. Yoong had it worse. His eyes were already sore from crying even from the very moment he stepped in the operating room's hallway two hours ago. Like Tiffany, he's in total panic, even goes berserk from time to time. Too much blood were dripping from both of his knuckles too. It was all because of him letting out his frustration by punching the stone walls.

He's intensely in regret for rejecting Jessica. He mumbles by himself saying it was all his fault. That, he shouldn't have swatted her away earlier. That, he should have just swallowed all of his pride and accepted everything. That, if only he hadn't made himself to be consumed by anger, maybe, Jessica's fate will not turn out like this.

Another hour passed, Taeyeon finally arrived with Sunny right behind him. The same as Yoong, he was in total shock and crying too. Sunny, on the other hand, was also in deep sadness. She sat beside Tiffany, held her hand tight, consoling her, and saying everything will be okay.

Taeyeon had his phone turned off for some reason that is why he couldn't be contacted. He regretted that too but not as much as how he is on every wrong thing he has done to Jessica. He, too, mumbles words of regret to himself, saying it's all his fault. That, he should have just let her be together with Yoong. That, he should have just been happy for the two. That, he shouldn't have fueled his selfishness the entire time, and then maybe, this will all not happen.

 

It was an hour passed again when one of doctors came out of the operating room. We all stood up and confronted him. "How was she, Doctor?" Sooyoung asked.

 "I have to be honest with you. There's only forty percent chance she'll live." he answered which had us all shocked.

"What did you say?!" Soo grabbed the doctor by the collar. "What the hell are you doing in there?! Just watching her die?! Can't you even do your ing job right?!"

I broke him away from his grasp with the doctor. "Sooyoung, enough."

He still continued, "You are being paid here by my family. So ing do your job right and save her!"

"Mr. Choi, I sincerely apologize for upsetting you. I assure you we're trying our best to save her. But this shouldn't just be an effort on our part, should be on her too... Her body's not fighting. Her condition's deteriorating more and more..."

"What are you saying? That, she can no longer be saved even by medicine or surgery?" Taeyeon asked.

"Yes. It's all up to her now if she still want to fight for her life." he ended then excused himself.

"Goddamnit!" Sooyoung shouted in frustration. "Those doctors are useless!"

"Sooyoung, doctors are humans too. They're not God. So, calm down." I said.

He grabbed me by my collar, "Calm down?! How can you still calm down, Yuri?! Jessica's about to die! Don't tell me you already accepted this?!"

"Blaming doctors will not gonna make her condition any good. So, just calm down as there's nothing we can do now... but to pray. She's not gonna die. At least, we should all have faith in her."

"Damn it." he hissed. He let then let go of me. Afterwards, the strong Sooyoung finally had his peak. Tears are now falling from his eyes.

Hyoyeon's now crying too. She uttered, "Jessica... She had always wanted this to happen. But why so soon..."

Right. Jessica had always dreamed of this. Her very own death is her own lifetime wish and now she's about to get it fulfilled. Though, I really hope and wish not.

Her wanting must also be the reason her condition's getting worse. They say one should have a drive to escape death. Without it and instead even wanting the opposite, will just surely send you to the other side, no doubt on that.

 

---

 

Sooyoung and I decided to buy coffee for everyone from the nearby vending machine.

"It's been six hours already..." he said.

"Yeah."

"Damn it. This is so frustrating."

"Yes it is. But cheer up. We're the ones that should be strong in this situation right now or else no one will. Taeyeon and Yoong had lost it."

"I know..." He sighed deeply. "I just hope she's gonna make it."

We went back to the hallway. It seems everyone else has no plans on taking a rest. We waited again for another two hours. It was then the time, the doctor went out again of the operating room.

"How's Jessica, doc?" I asked.

He then responded with form of a slight relief on his face. "Her condition has finally stabilized."

"Thank goodness." Tiffany said and faintly smiled. The others and so was I, smiled and thank the heaven too in relief.

The doctor continued, "However, I am afraid she'll be in comatose condition for days or even weeks. So, from then, she still needs to be under intensive care. Apparently, her rate of survival is still on fifty-fifty."

 

---

 

Sunday morning has come, Jessica's currently in Choi Medical Center's Intensive Care Unit. Sunny and Hyoyeon went home for a bit to get things and also to drop by each and everyone's homes for checking. On the other hand, Sooyoung went to the police station hours ago to take care of the hit-and-run case.  While, us four were left here, still hoping for her to wake up any time soon.

Yoong and Taeyeon are sitting beside each other in the lobby nearby, both just staring over nothingness. Tiffany's just in front of the Intensive Care Unit watching her unconscious best friend.

A few minutes later, Sooyoung finally came back. "How's Jessica?"

"Still the same." I answered.

"I see... By the way, I brought food." He then called for the other three, "Guys, let's eat." Yet, he got no response from them. He just sighed and then handed me a hamburger. "You eat, Yuri."

"Thanks."

"Anyway... I already filed a report for what happened to Sica. No good though. Until now, the exact police car that hit Jessica still could not be ascer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter