The Commencement of the Forbidden Love

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Yuri POV

It was a very nice day for a wedding ceremony. The two families, the Hwangs and the Kwons, have been invited for the union of Narsha Lee, Ms. Elizabeth's niece, and Tae Woo Kwon, Dad's young cousin. It was only a simple event for the families of the couple. However, due to the rumored truce that happened between Henry and Dad, it seemed to have become as an event of a lifetime. Lots of reporters actually gate crashed over the simple gathering. They were only held up by the security personnel of the two families, though.

Nonetheless, when the ceremony started. The attention of the audience was most of the time redirected to the two step-brothers, Henry and my dad. It was to the point they felt awkward themselves. Well, apparently, they sat next to each other so no wonder it's considered a big deal for those who are aware of their feud.

Set aside the issue of the adults, anyway, little Yuri and Tiffany were at it again on their choding-ness. Because they couldn't see the ceremony well due to their lack of height, the two decided to sneak out of their designated seats and headed up to the second floor view where the orchestra of the church was situated. They settled behind the rails of the viewing area and just peaked through it for the whole ceremony.

"Narsha-unnie's really pretty." Tiffany said.

"Yep but you are prettier." Yuri replied.

"Yah. That won't work on me anymore."

"But it's all true."

"Hmph." She looked away yet her smile was visible from the corner of her lips. Then, the ceremony started. He looked at his girlfriend as she stared at the altar dreamily.

"I wonder when I will be the one standing there." she said.

"I'll take you there. Give me ten years."

She sighed, "That's too long."

"We're still young, you know."

Hmm. It seems that the scene went reversed. Last time I remember, Tiffany was the one who doesn't want to get married sooner. Now, it's the other way around.

"What if you'll get to meet someone else?" she asked.

"I swore myself to love you for eternity and I'm a man of my word."

She looked at him and smiled. Still, worriment was obvious from her eyes. He offered his hand then she joined his. "We should get married now then." he proposed.

"What?" She chuckled. He then signaled her with his eyes to look at the altar.

The priest stated, "You, Tae Woo, and you, Narsha, having come to me signifying your desire to be formally united in marriage, and being assured that no legal, moral, or religious barriers hinder this proper union, please join your hands and give heed to the questions now asked you."

She stared back at her boyfriend. Their gazes never left each other.

"Tae Woo, will you take Narsha to be your wife? Do you commit yourself to her happiness and self-fulfillment as a person? Do you promise to love, honor, and trust her in sickness and in health, in adversity and prosperity, and to be true and loyal to her so long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Tae Woo answered.

"I do." Yuri also answered, still not removing his eyes from his girl.

"Narsha, will you take Tae Woo to be your husband? Do you commit yourself to his happiness and self-fulfillment as a person? Do you promise to love, honor, and trust him in sickness and in health, in adversity and prosperity, and to be true and loyal to him so long as you both shall live?"

"I do." Narsha answered.

"I do." Tiffany also responded  as she smiled over her boyfriend.

"You may now seal your promises with a kiss."

Little Yuri leaned forward making his forehead touch hers. Then, he kissed her and it lasted for a long sweet moment.

They broke away, still with their foreheads touched. "I love you." he said.

"I love you too." she responded.

The audience cheered as the bride and groom sealed their vows with a kiss. It was then a signal for the two kids to return to their families downstairs.

 

---

 

At the wedding reception,  the two families were designated to one table. The whole meal didn't become awkward though. Surprisingly, dad and Henry engaged to a conversation throughout the whole time. In fairness, for the months passed, the step-brothers have been gradually fixing their relationship.

This situation is somewhat contradicting to what I previously heard, though. According to Uncle Vincent, Henry was the one who was so adamant to stop my relationship with Tiffany back then. However, in this case, he's actually the one who insists for our relationship to continue and on the other hand, it was my father who disagrees. Uncle Vincent also told me that the rivalry didn't stop. He never mentioned a truce happened. Yet, now.... this? So, how did Tiffany and I end up separated? What's going on? Is this really a part of my past or just a dream for me?

 

After the two families finished on their meal, Mom and Dad went to socialize with their other relatives. So is Ms. Elizabeth too, yet, she went to greet hers. Henry didn't bother to join his wife though. He joked that he'll just be keeping an eye over the kids, in case they'll do something again.

Yet, after some time,  Henry stood up and went for the buffet service table to get a cocktail. In that moment, I saw someone familiar approached him. It was my other Uncle and step-father, Siwon Goo. It seemed he have invited the former for a chat as Henry followed him out to the entrance instead of returning to his seat.

"Wait. Mom's calling me." Tiffany snapped, calling her boyfriend's attention.

"Oh okay."

She then skipped towards her mom who was engaging a conversation with an old woman. She's maybe Tiffany's grandmother, I guess.

And with that, kid Yuri was the only left alone in their table. He ended up just doing nothing but wander his eyes around observing his parents and the Hwangs.

"Don't you wanna go greet your relatives, kid?" I asked.

"I'm not into social gatherings." he answered. He then noticed Tiffany's mother was gone out of sight. Tiffany was left there alone having conversations with her grandmother and aunts. "Maybe, I should go greet my future in-laws too." Kid Yuri said.

He was about to walk towards his girlfriend  when he noticed his father was about to walk out of the reception hall, leaving his mother alone entertaining the other guests. "Where is he going?" he mumbled. He then decided to follow his father.

"Kid, aren't you suppose to greet your future in-laws?" I asked as I eagerly followed him.

"Chit chat can be done later. This is more important."

"Maybe your father just wanted to go to the restroom."

"No. The male comfort room's on the other side of the hall." he stated. "Appa's up to something. I have to find out what it is."

As the kid and I got out of the hall, the direction seemed to have dad entered was to the balcony of the restaurant. It was a very long one with several levels. The place was also designed to cater dining services. Yet, it was just unoccupied which probably due to the whole restaurant being reserved for the wedding. Nonetheless, it was a perfect place to be alone.

The kid immediately hid behind the nearest potted plant as he gazed over his father wandering around as if looking for something... or maybe someone. He then froze for a moment as he looked down. He then decided to climb down the stairs to the lower balcony. Yuri went out of hiding to take a peak at his dad. A woman was there leaning on the rail of the balcony and was holding a lighted cigarette.

Yuri decided to climb down to the lower balcony too. Fortunately, the two adults didn't notice his presence as he decided to hide behind one table there.

Dad approached the woman and settled beside her. "Smoking?"

The woman was a little startled when she looked at the owner of the voice. "Yunho."

He smiled at her faintly. "Since when did you start smoking, Elise?"

She looked away as she puffed a smoke. "Probably, since years ago?"

"Stop it, then."

"No, I can't. It became a habit for me."

"Stop it." he stated again as if it has a tone of dictation.

She looked at him as if studying his eyes. They both engaged in a battle of stare.

"Hand me the stick." he ordered.

She sighed loudly in defeat and looked away as she obliged. Dad then pounded its lit on the balcony rail then threw it away.

She looked at him in disbelief, "You can't just throw it away like that. You're killing the environment on your littering."

He chuckled, "Look who's talking? You were the one who's polluting the air with your smoke."

"Hmpf." she looked away and back staring to the sky.

"The cigarette's biodegradable. I'm not so sure on its part though." he snapped.

She chuckled, "You are so weird."

He chuckled in return, "What's weird with that? I just justified my littering."

"Littering can never be justified." She then turned and leaned on the rail facing all the empty tables. Dad copied her.

"Yeah, no one can. But I can sure win the case."

"Still clinging on to your dream of becoming a lawyer?"

"I told you, I can be a lawyer without formalities."

Then, they both stated in unison, "Yunho Kwon, frustrated lawyer." Then, they shared a laugh. Probably, it's one of their inside jokes.

"Don't you remember I got you out of your speeding violation? You do owe me that."

She chuckled, "Yes, yes, how can I forget? During that whole hearing, I totally struggled from keeping a damn poker face. You gave me a hard time on that one."

He sent out a laugh, "I told you to act like a poor kitten, not poker face. I almost lost that case because of your bad acting."

"Ya! I tried my best, okay. No one can pull off a dramatic act while trying so hard not to laugh."

"Hmmm. Boa can." And they shared a hearty laugh again.

"Oh Boa..." she mumbled.

Dad chuckled, "She truly is the funniest one in our batch."

"And she doesn't need to try." she added.

"So, you're saying she has a funny looking face? Wow, Elise, just wow."

"Hey, I didn't say that. Don't try putting words on my mouth. Boa's just naturally funny. Maybe, it's because of her weird way of thinking."

"Now, weird? Wow, Elise, just wow."

She slapped his arm playfully, "Oh you stop it."

Then, they shared a chuckle. Afterwards, was a long silence. They were both looking like savoring the moment of them being together alone. From time to time, dad steals glances at his ex-girlfriend. Then, finally when he has gathered enough guts, he uttered, "I'm sorry about the last time."

"The last time?" she repeated in question.

"Yeah. On our family meeting? You were right. I was being an ."

She chuckled, "It's okay. You've always been an , even back then. I'm already used to it."

He chuckled too, "Yeah, I know."

"…"

"So, uhhhmmm… how's life? It's been twelve years since we uhh-- last had our conversation."

"Well… my last twelve years went fine, I guess? I actually just focused more on my career more than anything."

"I see…"

"How about you?"

"I guess we're just the same. I also busied myself with work."

"Oh, I see…"

"…"

"…"

He snapped another question, "How is he? I mean… how is he to you?"

"Well… we're okay, I guess. He's actually good to me."

"So, he's treating you right?"

"Yeah. Well, we have arguments though but, I think that's normal in marriage."

"Really? Just verbal fights?"

"Yeah. In fairness to Jaejoong, he's a gentleman."

Dad frowned the soon as he heard the last word. Then, he shrugged his thought off. "That's great then..."

She then turned and leaned back again on the balcony railing as she looked up to the sky. Dad then followed and did the same. The two then shared another moment of silence.

After minutes, Ms. Elise snapped, "I better go."

She was about to turn again when suddenly, Dad held her hand tight as he gazed at her intently. "Wait… stay."

"…"

"Please...?"

"…"

"Please…?"

She looked back at him. And with that, Dad forwarded his other hand to touch her cheek, then, he caressed her hair.

The kid sighed under his breath. He then decided that it's time for him to leave the two alone. The two adults didn't notice him as he climbed up the stairs again. As he reached the upper balcony, he took a one last look at them. The way I see it, there's no anger, no grudge in his eyes and instead, was only sympathy.

I also looked at the two. I felt chills ran down my spine. I felt uneasy. I felt... enraged. This... this is probably it. Now, I get it. It was all supposed to be perfect. No, I am certain. This was the very reason why...

 "Kid." I snapped. Yet, he didn't react. "Stop them. You should interfere."

...

"You're an idiot! You should've stop them!" . It's no use.

When he turned around, he noticed his girlfriend watching the same scene. "Hey." he snapped. Tiffany just looked at him and smiled faintly in return. He then held her hand and led her back to the hall.

"Why did you just let them?" she asked.

"I don't know… I just thought I'm not in the position to interfere on them."

"Should we tell my dad and your mom then? They are in the position to interfere."

"We better not cause a commotion here. There are many people around here."

Tiffany then glared at her boyfriend. She then stopped from walking and halted him too.  "Why do you sound like you're siding with them?"

"Did you see how they look at each other…?"

"…"

His voice then started to crack up, "Did you see how my appa looks at her...?"

"…"

"He never looked at my umma like that… he never did…"

"…"

"And I think it's the same with your mom…"

She then looked down.  "I don't want us to become like them someday."

"We will not. As long as I live, I will never allow anyone to stand between us." He cupped her face with his hands. "I promise you, I will do everything, my ver

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter