Day versus Night

141224 The Day We Got Back Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

xuanmiin: Ga In's point of view. 

-

Then I enter the region where Kwon debuts. It isn’t very pleasant either, and understandably so. Thankfully, it’s not because of fissures within 2AM, as Ong and Changmin oppa have respected Kwon as the leader from the outset, even though he was younger than they. Honestly, at that time, Kwonnie was the central figure of 2AM. Many factors really. Back then he and Jay Park were recognised as the two standouts from OneDay, something that Kwonnie grudgingly admits to today. Then there was the fact that he had been in JYPE for so long, and he was the leader of 2AM. Add that to his presence on variety shows, and you’re well on your way to being called Jo Kwon and friends. The only reason why 2AM isn’t Jo Kwon and friends is purely because they’re fortunate that every member actually has a distinct personality with something unique to bring to the table. With all the attention initially on Kwon and his crazy dancing, one should be surprised that the tensions didn’t soar. But they’re 2AM, and 2AM is just different. That didn’t stop Kwonnie from feeling uneasy about it inside, since they were meant to be a group after all.

 

Then there were the never-ending comparisons with 2PM, and the whole issue of being shafted. This was hard on them, because I genuinely believe that JYPE did shaft 2AM in favour of 2PM. It’s difficult to blame JYPE, since 2PM is more marketable than 2AM ever will be. Of course, this is not funny if you’re 2AM though. Not only that, they couldn’t go around advertising their dislike for 2PM or swearing to beat 2PM, because 2PM are their friends. So they were effectively forced to live in the shadows of 2PM and wait for their big break, without complaints. Since I watched both 2AM and 2PM (Seulong and Taecyeon respectively), I felt indignant for 2AM for a long time.

 

Of course, there was their alleged commercial failure of a second song, Confessions of a Friend. I know exactly how it feels like when the sales fall short of expectations after a decent showing for the first album. The pill is very bitter to swallow, and introduces a great deal of additional uncertainty. To this day, I fail to see what is so wrong with the beautiful song that is Confessions of a Friend.

 

But with the passage of time, I’ve come to see the reason behind everything. Kwon is inherently built too small (and will look even smaller with the giants that are OneDay) to be a beastly idol. A mountain cannot accommodate two tigers, they will end up killing each other, so Kwon and Jay Park need to be separated. Jay Park is a perfect fit for 2PM, as Kwonnie is a better one for 2AM, so there was no alternative arrangement for that one. Him being in 2AM greatly benefits 2AM variety, which was admittedly essential for their big break.

 

Time doesn’t change that 2AM was indeed shafted in favour of 2PM. 2PM was formed to dance, 2AM was formed to sing. But 2PM was formed to succeed, 2AM was formed to be happy. 2PM was formed to capitalize to their popularity now, 2AM was formed to last. Is 2AM still singing, yes. They managed to comeback very successfully after a hiatus in excess of 2 years. Kwon managed to comeback as a soloist after an even longer hiatus. They have lasted through the biggest challenge that is military service. History has shown that idol groups that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter