XLV

The Ice Has Melted

AT TAEYEON’S PENTHOUSE

Taeyeon really mad that night. He never expect his father to say those bad things to Tiffany. Didn’t he supposed to feel happy when heard about his girlfriend? Didn’t he feel ease that he already open up his heart and start a new life?

While Tiffany went straight to her room after back from the dinner. She did feel hurt but it just slightly hurt her. What in her mind right now is why does Taeyeon’s father suddenly be like that? Where is the friendly, nice and calm person did she heard about before? She did heard about him before, all the staffs are talking good things about him. That is why she kind of didn’t believe of what she heard or see just now. And she think about Taeyeon too. That guy really mad. He didn’t talk anything in the car, he just keep driving and silence accompany them on their way. This night is totally a disaster.

Taeyeon went down after finish take bath. He takes time in the shower just now to calm himself. He didn’t want to be mad in front of Tiffany anymore. She shouldn’t see what he’s like just now. Taeyeon then thought of something. With idea that he have in his mind right now, he went straight to the kitchen. He want to cook something sweet for her.

Tiffany too smell something at her room. She went down and saw Taeyeon stand at the kitchen counter while wearing an apron. She smile, he really look cute in that outfits plus he wear it with his cartoon sweatshirt. Okay now he didn’t look like a man but he look like an elementary kids. She then slowly walk towards him, intend to surprised him but then…

“Fany I know you there…” He caught her already.

“Aish! Tae is no fun!” She stomped her feet and cross her arms around her chest.

Taeyeon laugh when looking at her. She looks like a little girl now.

“Hahaha. Sorry. Should we do again then? I’ll pretend that I didn’t notice you.” He suggest and laugh after that.

Tiffany then slap his shoulder. Feeling toyed with him. Taeyeon flinched with her sudden attack.

“Auch! Hahaha!. Omo you know what, your hand is like a metal. My shoulder could fell off if you keep hitting me.” He said while brushed his shoulder.

She pouted and said:

“You sound like Jess now.”

Instead of answering her, Taeyeon just laughing and softly pinch her cheeks. Why she’s being cute tonight? Tiffany just closed her eyes as he pinched her cheeks. They act like nothing happen just now. Taeyeon then continue to cook their meal. Just then, Tiffany thought of something. She then pull Taeyeon’s apron like a kid and Taeyeon too turned around and look at her.

“Yes baby?” He smile towards her.

“What did you cook Tae? I smell it from upstairs.” Taeyeon cover up the pan that’s why she can’t see it.

He actually cook pancakes for her. He has his own plan to get rid the thing happen just now from their mind. He then open the pan and show it to her. Tiffany smile and look at him.

“But why did you cook?” that is what she curious about. didn’t they have eaten earlier?

Taeyeon smile and look back at her.

“You’ll know soon.” He winked and continue to cook.

Tiffany didn’t mind it and went to sit at the bar counter while looking at him from a far. Looking at him skillfully flip the pancakes in the pan she notice that his skin was so flawless from side. She just smiling by herself while waiting for him.

Less than 15 minutes, Taeyeon already finish preparing the meal. He put vanilla ice cream on the pancakes and strawberries on top of it. Taeyeon then hold the plate. Instead of eating there, he got even better idea. So he bring it to Tiffany and told her that they’re going to eat it somewhere else. She wonders, what he’s trying to do. Taeyeon lead her to a room. That room located on the upstairs. Tiffany never knows that there’s another room at the upper floor. The difference is, that room is at another side of the floor.

When he open the door, it reveal that there is home theatre, couch, plushy things, a rack of DVDs and a… screen. A mini cinema. That is what Tiffany can say. She totally love that room.

He lead and asked her to sit while he put down the pancakes. He then went to the DVD racks and asked her for any movie she would like to watch but Tiffany let Taeyeon to choose it instead of her. Taeyeon just follow her and choose the movie. Few minutes searching, he then found a movie that he thinks suitable for them. He then install the DVD at the player and went to switch off the light. Automatically the bright atmosphere become a dark room. Taeyeon then take a sit beside her on the couch and wait for the movie to load the scene. Tiffany too can’t wait to watch the movie, few minutes after that the movie begin. Just at a glance, the first scene being played Tiffany already knows what movie it was.

“Breakfast at Tiffany’s?” She said. Taeyeon nodded and smile. Don’t know why, that night he feels like watching classical instead the modern one. So he just grab any classic movie on the rack.

“You don’t like it? If not, we can change it.” Taeyeon suggest. Worried that she might be uncomfortable with his choice of movie.

“What are you talking about? This is my favorite Tae!” She too like classical movie generally. She always adores Audrey Hepburn that looking elegant even though in real life.

Before the pancake become cold, Taeyeon feed and let her taste it. Bored of popcorn, he change it to pancakes. Just like usual, Tiffany mention about how good the taste and how great Taeyeon in cooking. That is the fact that she can’t denied it. Even he just try to cook, the taste still will be good. They then continue watching the movie. Just watching half of the movie, Tiffany land her head at Taeyeon’s shoulder. Taeyeon notice that and widen up his shoulder, so she can lay on his chest. He brush her hair and kiss her hair crown. Instead of focusing at the movie, Taeyeon look at his girlfriend from upper. He knows that she’s hurt but yet she look so calm, didn’t show anything. Taeyeon worried that she keep all by herself. Few minutes watching her focus on the movie, he asked her:

“Enjoying the movie?”

Tiffany look up and saw her face just a few inch from her as she didn’t move at all after put her head on his chest. Feeling comfortable there.

“Yup!”

Taeyeon smile looking at her. Relieved that she’s enjoying the time. But not for Tiffany, she can feel that Taeyeon didn’t enjoy it as much as her.

“Why? You didn’t enjoy the movie?”

Taeyeon shake his head. He did watch the movie though but he just feel interrupted by sudden thought of what happen just now, that’s why.

“I did. I enjoy it more because I watch it with you here,” She knows Taeyeon didn’t tell her something.

“Oh come on Tae, your face shows it all. Don’t you want to share with me?” Tiffany lift up her head from his chest and adjust her position. She then sit facing him, leaving the movie behind. Didn’t mind to watch it anymore.

Darn! He got caught up there. Taeyeon then let out a sigh.

“I’m sorry Fany.” He muttered.

She didn’t understand why he suddenly saying sorry. She see that he already hung his head low.

Taeyeon then explain that he was sorry because she had to going through that situation just now. If only he can figure out those thing will happen, he wouldn’t bring her there even though his father asked too. He feel embarrassed towards her. His family should be a good impression for her since it her first time meeting them, but thing turn out be beyond his expectations.

“No need to be sorry Tae, it’s fine. Maybe he misunderstood about me. Don’t worry we’ll make him understand okay?” Tiffany said, try to comfort him.

“What if he still be like that? I can’t let him say those things to you again,”

“Then we’ll make him change his perspective towards me. I’m good in convincing people, remember Tae?”  She answered him cheerfully. This is her positive vibes that no one can resist, not even Taeyeon. always be positive and try harder. She good in impressing other people, but this time Tiffany have to impress Taeyeon’s father.

Both of them then continue watching the abandoned movie and Tiffany finally fell asleep on his lap. Didn’t have a heart to wake her up, he just let her sleep there and he too finally drifted to the dreamland.

 

NEXT MORNING

Luckily today is Saturday both of them didn’t work. If not, they would be rushed right now. Tiffany open her eyes first after heard a phone ringing. She wake up and see that she sleep on Taeyeon’s lap while that guy looking so uncomfortable sleeping while sit on the couch. Gosh, why she always fell asleep here and there? But looking him like that, he did look cute though. She then slowly approached him and give a kiss on his cheek but when she want to get up from the couch, someone hold her hand preventing her from moving.

“If you want to kiss me, better do it properly or I’ll hunt you,” Taeyeon said.

She startled. Since when he wake up? Didn’t he sleep peacefully just now?

He already awake before her but didn’t move since he didn’t want to disturb her so he just continue stay there and close his eyes. Just when he wants to answer the phone, she wake up so he continue to play the game. He didn’t expect that she will kiss him first but when think about that, Taeyeon smile and now know that she’s kind of sneaky too.

“You’ve aa-awake?” Tiffany said, she still in his hold can’t move anywhere.

“As you see, I am awake.” He answer her with a sneaky smile. He let go the hold because his phone start ringing again. Just who dare to call him at this early morning. Aish! He thought when ignore the call, the caller won’t call him anymore but look like he/she are not give up.

Tiffany take the opportunities to get away from him. her face already burn and red. She then escaped to her room and take a bath, leaving Taeyeon alone in that room.

While Taeyeon take the call. He look at the caller id. Hayeon? What his sister want in this early morning?

“Hello,” He said lazily.

“Hi oppa, good morning!” Hayeon greet him cheerfully.

Taeyeon feel weird with his sister. She sound so hyped up. What’s wrong?

“Yah this already be a bad morning for me when you called you know that?”

“Whoa chill oppa. Hahaha take it easy. I want to make your day good here. That’s why I call you,” Hayeon speak on the other line.

“What do you want?”

“Oppa, let’s going to picnic today shall we?” Eh? Suddenly? Did she up to something?

“What? Yah Hayeon-ah are you okay?” Weird with her sudden plan.

“Hahaha I’m okay oppa. Look, I just want to make up about yesterday. Bring Tiffany unnie along too, I would like to know her more.”

Taeyeon feel weirder with her, suddenly asked him to bring his girlfriend along. “He’s not there right?”

“Who? Appa? No he’s not. He rarely join us to do thing like this remember?”

Yeah she’s true though. His father usually will be found at golf club on weekend. So he rarely join them to picnic like that. So he believe her.

“Alright then. Text the address and I’ll be there later with her.”

“Okay oppa!” Hayeon answer him. Taeyeon then cut off the line. After really sure that he has cut off the line, Hayeon then jumped happily.

 

“Yes!”

Taeyeon’s father that heard everything asked her:

“Did he agree?”

Hayeon nodded. Look like he already the bait though. Whoa. What happen here? actually his father has explain about last night to Hayeon and also her mother right after Taeyeon go home with Tiffany. He didn’t do it to hurt her. He just want to test her. Now both of them understand and agree to help him.

--

Taeyeon then get out from the room and went to knock Tiffany’s room. When she open the door, Taeyeon explain about the picnic they’re going later. She doesn’t have problem with that so she just agree with it. In fact, she would love to see Taeyeon relieved that she still agree meeting his family today since yesterday night incident. He then went to his room to get ready.

Since Tiffany has already clean herself, she got an idea to bring some food to the picnic. So she went to the kitchen and dig in every drawer there, hoping that there are ingredient that she want. Takes about 5 minutes searching, she finally found everything and started to cook. Whops scratch that, it actually bake. 

After about half an hour, Tiffany finish her baking and put it aside. She then going up to her room to get ready. Taeyeon too finish getting ready and come downstairs to find something that they can play at the park later on.

Few minutes later, here comes Tiffany. They then went out from the house and Taeyeon notice she holding a bag.

“What is that?” He asked her.

“Something that I bake just now.”

“Whoa, what is it? It smell so good though.”

“You’ll know soon” She give him the same answer like last night. Now he’s the one feeling curious.

Just go with her answer they then head towards the park.

--

Today was a good day. The sky is clear and windy. Both Taeyeon and Tiffany arrive after 20 minutes driving. Since the park is not far from the house, they didn’t take a long time to arrive. Taeyeon lead her to the place Hayeon said they’ll be.

As soon as they walk at the park, they already saw Sarang play with balloon and walk towards her. Taeyeon run and hug that little girl from behind, she look so surprised but then giggle when he started to plant kisses all over her face.

“Daddy no!” She said between the kiss Taeyeon’s planted. He stop when he satisfied in make her laughing.

Tiffany went straight to Taeyeon’s mother who sit on the blanket and greet her.

“Annyeonghaseyo Mrs. Kim,” She said.

“Oh please don’t call me that, just call me eomonim Tiffany, we’re like family now.” Mrs. Kim said while patting Tiffany’s back. She glad that Taeyeon found a girl like her who was kind and soft with elders.

“Ah yes eomonim,” She smile.

Tiffany then sit beside Mrs. Kim as she was asked to after her back being patted by her. Taeyeon still playing with Sarang and he saw Hayeon who was back from the toilet.

“Aunty Hayeon daddy is here!” Sarang yell her name after saw her from a far and wave her hand. Hayeon reply it back and run towards her. She then smile widely when saw Taeyeon was there playing with Sarang and look like he’s bringing Tiffany along.  She hug her brother than thanked him for coming. After that she went straight to her mother and Tiffany.

“Hi unnie!”

“Oh hi! Hayeon isn’t?” Tiffany still remember her name as she remember Mr. Kim call her name.

“Yup that’s my name, bingo!” She answered cheerfully. This girl really got tons of energy.

They were chatting and talking among themselves when Taeyeon finally went to them with his child. Taeyeon got to sit beside Tiffany after argue with his sister. While Mrs. Kim and Tiffany just laughing looking at both of them. She then take out something from her bag, she forgot to take it out since she so immersed in chatting with Taeyeon’s mother and Hayeon.

“Eomonim, here I brought some brownies for you, Hayeon and Sarang.” She open up and give it to them.

“Omo look how lovely are you Fany. Thank you.” Mrs. Kim take one of it and put it in .

Not only Mrs. Kim, but Hayeon and Taeyeon also take bite of the brownies. They eat quietly and suddenly Mrs. Kim speak.

“This delicious. Where did you buy it?”

Tiffany smile and look down. She glad that she likes it.

“She make it by herself eomma.” Taeyeon answer it instead of her.

“Omo. Really? It is so good! you’re great in baking! Maybe we can bake together one day,”

Not only Mrs. Kim but Hayeon also praised her. Taeyeon also proud of her. he didn’t know that his girlfriend can be good in baking.

“ ‘pweety’ aunty, Sarang love this!” She showed the brownies to Tiffany.

“You like it? Then eat more okay baby?” Tiffany caressed that little girl cheek and Sarang nodded when heard her ‘pweety’ aunty said to eat more of it.

Taeyeon lay on Tiffany’s lap while closing his eyes while Sarang play with Tiffany there. She be a bit embarrassed when Taeyeon suddenly lay on her but Taeyeon’s mother give her a thumb up as a ‘approved’ sign and not to forget, Hayeon too. They then eat and chatting happily.  But they stop when suddenly saw Taeyeon’s father come approaching them. Tiffany asked him to get up after saw his father. Taeyeon get up and already feel uncomfortable and he worry about Tiffany of course.

“Oh appa, didn’t you said that you can’t make it?” Hayeon start her acting.

“I said I’ll come if the game finish early,” Mr. Kim still in his straight face. Didn’t show any emotion.

“Ah I see. Come sit with us here appa.” Mr. Kim then sit beside his wife and didn’t bother Tiffany that was sitting there too. But for Tiffany, she still have to respect him no matter what.

Tiffany still greet him even though Taeyeon asked her to sit back. Mr. Kim just nodded to her, didn’t reply anything. Taeyeon asked her to get up and play with Sarang, but she refuse it. It would be rude for her to get up as soon as Taeyeon’s father sit there.

“You sure you’ll be okay stay here?” Tiffany nodded and smile to him. But then Mrs. Kim bug in:

“Let her be with me Taeyeon. It’s not like I want to kidnap her. Aigo”

Taeyeon shrugged his shoulder and just go with her decisions. He then went to play with his daughter. It’s not like he didn’t care to stay with her, actually he’s been monitoring from a far and ready to come back if his father start messing with his girlfriend.

Mr. Kim feel interested with brownies in front of him so he take it and eat it in front of Tiffany. After taking a bite, he can feel the creamy and sweet taste of the brownies. It really delicious.

“This is good Hyesun, when did you learn to do it? Or is it Hayeonnie did this?” Mr. Kim already aware that his wife love baking and he thought that it’s his wife or maybe Hayeon who try to bake it.

Hayeon laugh when she heard her father statement. Her mother too laughing beside her husband. While Mr. Kim who don’t understand feel curious with them.

“It’s not eomma nor I that bake that brownies but Tiffany unnie did it appa,” Hayeon said. Automatically, Taeyeon’s father choked. Look like she can bake well too instead of respecting elders.

He cough “You do it better than her Hyesun, this one too sweet for me. It can make my sugar level going high. Aish!” he take the last bite and just continue sit there watching people around. Tiffany just hang her head down when heard his comment.

“So Tiffany, what did you know about Taeyeon? What did he like?” He shoot out first question.

“Um I know that he likes to drink coffee and he also didn’t miss his breakfast every day” Tiffany reply. Mr. Kim quite impress with her. She knows that little thing about his son. But that is not enough, he need to know more.

“What else did you know about him?”

She smile and answer calmly while looking at Taeyeon who playing with Sarang “He’s perfectionist, he want everybody around him to be perfect. He maybe strict, but he’s kind hearted. Nobody can see that side of him when he’s working but he change when off work. Taeyeon is a nice man I can say. It look like he got a lot of personality in everytime I saw him. I just know that he can be funny, gentleman, and protective. There is something that I want to treasure in him. The fatherly side of him make me look him with other perspective.” Without knowing, she explain a lot about Taeyeon. 3 people there already smile hearing to her explanation. Her focus back to Mr. Kim when heard him cough. In his heart, he really happy to hear someone talk nice thing about his son.

“Did you know that he have allergies to peanuts?”

Tiffany shook her head. She didn’t know that. Taeyeon never told here before. Mr. Kim purposely mention about that in case she didn’t know. Alright he think that is enough, she passed in her second test which is the sincerity test. There is last test she got to pass.

 Few hours spending time picnic, it’s finally time to go home. Hayeon has her role to persuade Taeyeon to come home today. Of course he kinda hesitate to come home after last night thing, but after being convince by Tiffany too he agree to come home.

--

AT KIM’S MANSION

This is the last test for Tiffany. Of course in every family, they want their daughter in-law to be a good ‘chef’ in the house. She’s good in baking, so he want to know whether she’s good in cooking normal dishes.

As soon as they arrive home, Hayeon went straight away take care of Sarang while Tiffany and Taeyeon help his mother put things at the kitchen. Finish put all the things, Mrs. Kim offer Tiffany whether she want to help her in preparing dinner. Well that is one of their plan though. Taeyeon smile looking at them, so he leaving both of them and went up to his room. After Taeyeon went up, there is someone secretly looking at Tiffany and Mrs. Kim at the kitchen.

“Tiffany why don’t you cook today? You’re good in baking, then you must good in cooking too right?” Mrs. Kim played her role.

Tiffany that heard that feeling surprised.

“But-but will all of them like it?”

“That is why we have to try Tiffany. It doesn’t matter if we try it. So you want to try?” Mrs. Kim offer again.

Tiffany accept the offer and start to cook. She already figure out what she want to cook for them. Since Mrs. Kim give her the permission to do anything in the kitchen. She offer maids to help her but this one she decline it. She want to cook it by herself. So the maids just wait at the side, in case she need to ask something to them.

“This kitchen is yours Tiffany. I’ll go upstairs for a while. Make yourself comfortable okay?” Mrs. Kim purposely leave her alone in the kitchen. She then peeping her along with Mr. Kim.

“Yes I will eomonim,” she said with a smile and continue to cook.

Tiffany do everything smoothly. She doesn’t look uncomfortable or anything. she cut the ingredients all by herself without asking anyone to help her. She keep chatting and being friendly with all the maids. Once she finish, she give the maid taste and asked for their opinion. All of them praised her cooking and that makes her confident boosted.

All of them being witnessed by Taeyeon’s parents. Both of them smile to each other after see all of the scene. Look like their son got a very good girl. They then get away from there and Mrs. Kim continue her acting like usual.

--

All of them gather at the dining room after being called. Sarang already fell asleep after shower. Maybe she’s too tired from playing outside all day. So the one that sit at dining table right now is Mr. and Mrs. Kim, Hayeon, Taeyeon and Tiffany. Their sitting order exactly same like before this. They didn’t talk much, it just Taeyeon and Hayeon notice that something different with their dinner menu tonight. It doesn’t look like their mother usual cook. Taeyeon’s father give it a taste and quiet after that. But not for the others.

“Whoa this is good! Eomma, is this new menu? You never cook this before!” Hayeon said.

Same goes to Taeyeon, “Eomma, this time I agree with her. This is so delicious! Right Fany?” Without knowing that she’s the one that cook it, he asked her opinion.

Before she got to answer, Taeyeon’s mother already speak up.

“I’m not the one cooks the dish that all of you praised, that person is beside you Taeyeon”

Taeyeon look beside him. Nothing there, he just saw his father. his father cooking? That is impossible. He then look at the other side. He saw Tiffany smiling.

“You’re the one cook this?” didn’t believe that his girlfriend cook the dishes. He got 2 surprised today, first she’s good in baking and now she also good in cooking.

Tiffany just nodded shyly.

“Ohmy unnie, this is seriously good! I can’t deny it! you’re a good in cooking!” Hayeon also praised her.

“What is this?” Taeyeon’s father suddenly speak.

“It’s a garlic yogurt baked chicken Sir. Eomonim…, I mean Mrs. Kim offer me to cook so I just…-”

“I know.” He cut her off while chewing the food.

“This is good. I like it. Will cook it for me next time Tiffany?” He speak again. This is the soft tone he used to talk since the day they met.

Tiffany surprised with the reaction. Is she dreaming? Well not only her, even Taeyeon surprised with his own father. while Hayeon and her mother pretend to be surprised even though they’re not.

“Yes of course Sir. I would be glad if you request to eat it again,”

--

Finish eating, all of them then sit at the living room. Now the time to reveal it all.

“Thank you for coming Tiffany and thank you because being patient with me all the time.” Mr. Kim cut the silence.

Tiffany nor Taeyeon didn’t understand what he’s talking about right now. And their blurriness clearly showed on their face.

“Let me tell you the truth here.”

“Actually, the things that I’ve said to you, all the mean things I did, the hurtful word I said… it all just a test.”

“Test?” Tiffany and Taeyeon said in unison.

“What test appa? I don’t understand.” Taeyeon said while Tiffany still look confuse there.

“Test to know whether you choose the right person or not Taeyeon.”

“What? Wait… wait a minute I still can’t figure out what are you trying to do,”

This time Hayeon the one explain to him:

“Oppa, what appa mean here is, he just want to make sure that Tiffany unnie is a good woman for you and you too make the wise choice. Understand?”

Taeyeon quiet. Still thinking. He don’t understand why he must test her using hurtful words, mean things and so on. looking at Taeyeon’s expression, Mrs. Kim knows that her son is not in a good condition.

“Taeyeon, I know you mad. But what your father do is a right thing. I didn’t agree with him too at first but when I think about it again, he got his own point and that makes me agree with him.”

“So all of you know appa was testing her?”

Hayeon and her mother nodded. Taeyeon silence again after got his answer.

“I’m so sorry Tiffany. I know this is kind of childish but this is all I can do to know who you are.”

“Through this I can see your clear sincerity, your pure heart towards my son. I can feel that you’re a good girl since the day Sarang told us about you. She never mention about any woman that she met. But with you, she always said that you’re kind to her and she want to meet again.”

“But I can’t only trust her. I’ve to see it by myself and I’m glad you’re better than my expectation. The way you handle your emotion, being patient with me, keep the respecters how good you’re in impressing my wife and Hayeon and also the way you treat Sarang, let us to see the motherly side of you.” Mr. Kim explain more.

Now Taeyeon and Tiffany understand why did he does that. And finally Taeyeon also understand why did his father said “Because I want to see who is Tiffany Hwang.”. so now this is the reason. This is what he want to see in his girlfriend.

“I’m sorry Tiffany,” He apologizes once again to her.

“No Sir, what you do is right. I know you want the best for your son. I understand.”

“Just call me abonim Tiffany, we already be a family now.”

Mr. Kim then get up and walk towards Tiffany. She too get up after saw him approaching her. unexpectedly, he hug Tiffany as he feel really sorry to her. Tiffany reply his hug back. This hug suddenly remind her to her father.

“Welcome to the Kim’s family Tiffany,” Mr. Kim said between their hug.

Cut off all the drama and so on, now it’s time for them to go home. Taeyeon apologizes to his father for raised his voice to him last night. He also be rude to him earlier. So now, everything is clear. Their relationship officially has been approved by Taeyeon’s family. Before they going back, Mr. Kim did whisper something to his son.

“She’s a good woman. Don’t you dare hurt her,”

“Yes appa, I’ll not. I promise.”


here a looooonnngggg update! sorry for late!