Chapter 98

Hard But Easy

I leaned against the couch and closed my eyes with both my hands behind the back of my head. The room has been in silence for the past 30mins as I tried to clear my thoughts. But I knew it was of no use as I let out another heavy sigh for the umptenth time. Straightening up my back, my hands were now across my chest when I heard the sound of the door opening.

Taeyeon walked in with a small smile as she wiped away the grease in her hands. She placed the dirty rag on the table in front of me and took a seat on the couch opposite mine.

"Manage to clear your thoughts?" Taeyeon asked as I shook my head. "Told you that it won't work. You need to talk to her."

"I'm not in the right state of mind to talk to her. Not after what happened earlier."

"But you need to do something about it, Eunjin." Taeyeon replied

"Do something? Like what? I don't even know if I'm angry, upset or just disappointed with this whole situation."  

I saw Taeyeon opened to say something before she closed it back. It was her turn to let out a sigh as both of us stared into space.

(Flashbacks)

I stared at my phone for a minute before turning to my side to face Jihyun.

"Are you okay? You look a little.. flustered." 

I was about to reply her when I was taken aback by someone shouting out my name. Turning around, I saw Luna speed-walking towards me with a deadly glare. It seemed that she was pulling Krystal along but what grabbed my attention was the fact that Krystal's eyes looked teary.

Both of them stopped abruptly about an arm length away from me as Krystal avoided eye contact.

"Hey. What a surprise. I didn't know both of you were around here when Krystal called earlier." 

"It's a good thing that you didn't know or we would not have caught you red-handed." Luna replied with gritted teeth as Krystal continued to look down.

I could immediately sense the sarcasm from the reply and seeing how Luna was now glaring at Jihyun, I remembered Krystal's words earlier. Putting the pieces together, I could roughly guessed what was going on as I clenched both my fists. Turning back to Jihyun, I forced a fake smile.

"Jihyun, you should go in and have your lunch. Your secretary has been waiting for you since just now. Don't have to worry about Taeyeon. I'll send your regards to her later."

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Krystal lifting up her head when I mentioned Taeyeon's name. As I watched Jihyun's expression, I knew she had seen Krystal's teary eyes. With one hand, I patted Jihyun's arm lightly while my other hand signalled to her to just continue her way into the restaurant. I saw her mouthing the word 'Gwenchana?' as I just nodded my head. The moment Jihyun entered the restaurant, I turned around to face the two girls who now had a confused expression on them.

"Please... tell me... This is not... what I think.. it is." I asked both of the girls slowly as I was trying to control my emotion inside.

Krystal opened as if she wanted to say something but she ended up biting her lips and looked away.

"Eunjin.. It's not Krystal's fault. I was..." Luna tried to explain but was interrupted when Taeyeon appeared behind them, smiling away without knowing the situation.

"Hey.. Krystal, Luna. What a coincidence. Are you both here to eat at the restaurant too? Seems like we met a lot of familiar faces today. Right, Eunjin?"

"Jihyun sent her regards." I said to Taeyeon with a flat tone while my eyes were still on Krystal.

"Oh okay. Did you suggest to her to get the sashimi? It was...." Taeyeon momentarily stopped talking the moment she saw Krystal's eyes. "Omo, were you crying? Did something happen? Yah, Han Eunjin. Did you make her cry?"

Krystal immediately looked at Taeyeon and shook her head furiously. Luna was about to say something when I lifted up my hand to prevent her from doing so.

"Taeyeon and I need to return back to the workshop." With those words, I pulled Taeyeon away and headed towards the carpark.

On the way to the workshop, I told Taeyeon about the phone conversation and about what happened in front of the restaurant. Initially, Taeyeon was saying that I could have misunderstood the situation on my part but a message from Krystal, made Taeyeon stayed in silence until we reached our destination. 

I'm sorry for accusing you of lying to me. Please forgive me. - Krystal 

I told Taeyeon that I needed some time alone and asked for her help to settle some of the pending repair works. Before I made my way into the lounge area, Taeyeon suggested to me to talk it out with Krystal instead of bottling it all inside. I just nodded my head without having the intention to do so.

(End of flashbacks) 

"Are you really not going to talk to her about this?" Taeyeon's question snapped me out of my thoughts as I just stared blankly at her. "You are going to see her later at home, right? What do you plan to do?"

"I don't know. I don't even know if she will come home later." I replied as I showed Krystal's messages while I was alone earlier.

I know you are angry with me but please forgive me. I don't know what I was thinking earlier. I totally lost it when I saw you standing beside Jihyun outside of the restaurant, looking so happy while laughing away. - Krystal

I didn't plan to confront you at all. Luna was the one who dragged me towards you. I had wanted to just walk away. - Krystal

It's all my fault. Me and my insecurities. Even after we had talked about trusting each other, even after you told me repeatedly that it's all business between you and Jihyun, I...I... I still feel insecured. - Krystal

I don't think I have the courage to face you at the moment. I'm so ashamed of myself. I made myself looked like a fool in front of Jihyun earlier and embarrassed you in front of her. I'm seriously an idiot. - Krystal

Please forgive me. - Krystal

I'm really sorry about everything. - Krystal

"You didn't even reply to any of her messages?" Taeyeon asked me as I shook my head. "Wae? Were you that angry with her?"

"Shouldn't I be? I was accused of lying and maybe cheating by my own fiancee when I didn't even do so. Don't you think that I should be angry or upset about all these?"

"Is it because it happened in front of Jihyun? Were you embarrassed by what Krystal did in front of her?" Taeyeon continued asking as I let out a heavy sigh.

"It's got nothing to do with Jihyun's presence. I could have just explained the whole situation to her and said that it was just a misunderstanding. But the fact that Krystal would actually thought of me doing those things to her, that is what hurts me the most."

************************

I knocked on the glass door and smiled before making my way towards the person sitting behind the desk. Her table was messy with lots of paper on it and since she was busy on the phone, I decided to take a seat quietly while waiting for her to finish her conversation. I took my time to look around the office and saw a photo that made me smile.

"So, what advice did you need from me? I might need to charge you for my consultation fees." 

I turned to face the owner of the voice and pointed towards the photo that I was looking at earlier. "When did you take that photo? Seems like the three of us were not even aware that someone took a photo of us, judging from the way we were messing around."

"It was during one of those times when the three of you were busy squabbling about something. I found it cute so I decided to take a photo. It's a memento for me of my first three workers."

"First three? Did you forget someone? A secretary maybe?" I grinned when I saw Sunny rolling her eyes at me. "Arraseo. I'm not here to tease you anyway."

"I can see that. You don't seem like your normal self. What's wrong? But before that, want a drink?" Sunny asked as she pointed to a mini fridge in her office.

"I'm good." I let out a sigh and leaned against the seat as Sunny walked up and made her way towards the fridge to take two cans of beer.

"A little booze usually helps to calm the nerves. Here." Sunny opened one of the can and handed it to me.

I took a few sips and paused momentarily. 

"So what happened between you and Krystal?" Sunny asked with a poker face.

"How did you know that I wanted to talk about her? Are you aware about what had happened?" 

I saw a proud smirk appeared on Sunny's face and I knew she was happy that she had made a correct guess.

"No... But I suspected that it's about Krystal. Because you stared at the can of beer after taking a few sips. If it's about work, it won't take you this long to talk to me." Sunny replied confidently.

"I could have wanted to talk about myself." 

"Then you would have looked for Yuri or Taeyeon. But you didn't, which means that the topic is something that you can't talk to Yuri about since she will be trapped between Jessica and you. You can't talk to Taeyeon because there's a possibility that Taeyeon might tell Tiffany which will lead to her telling Jessica. So, I'm the safest choice." 

After praising Sunny for her good observation skills, I started telling her about what had happened between Krystal and me. About the mall incident and also about some small arguments that both of us had been having for the past one month.

"So you are telling me that Krystal had not been coming home since three days ago after that incident at the mall and you have not replied to any of her messages since then?" Sunny asked as I nodded my head. "Yah!!! Han Eunjin!! What is wrong with you?"

I was a bit startled when Sunny raised her voice at me as the impact jolted me from my seat. Both of us looked at each other and silence filled the room for the next thirty seconds.

"If she's not coming home, she's most probably at her Unnie's place. So why is Jessica not after you yet?" Sunny asked as she frowned at me.

"Yuri took care of it. But what makes you think that Jessica will come after me? From what Yuri told me, Jessica is also unhappy about what she did to me." 

"So, does it make you feel better? That there are others who agree with your actions of treating your own fiancee in this manner?" Sunny stared hard at me as I blinked my eyes rapidly.

"Sunny, whose side are you on?" I asked as Sunny folded her arms across her chest.

"No one. I don't agree with what Krystal did to you but I am extremely unhappy with how you had reacted about it."

I could feel my heart sank with Sunny's reply as I slouched back into the seat, feeling a little dejected. I noticed Sunny taking a deep breathe.

"I agree that Krystal was wrong for accusing you of cheating or lying but you have to admit it, you were wrong too when you ignored her even after she had seek for your forgiveness. People make mistakes and no one is perfect, Eunjin. She was so ashamed of her actions that she didn't have the courage to face you. She apologised but you ignored her. Then she went back to her sister's place only to be reprimanded about her mistake again by her own sister. She did hurt your feelings with her accusations but don't you think at the moment, she's the one hurting more."

I sat there in silence, absorbing every single word that Sunny had said to me and continued listening.

"It was a misunderstanding blown out of proportion due to interference from others. If Luna was not there to drag her or if Jihyun was not there to witness the misunderstanding between the two of you, I would believe this whole incident would not turn out so bad. You told me that previously, both of you had small arguments when it concerns Jihyun but did you really address this matter properly? You told Krystal that everything is business between you and Jihyun but you are no longer actively involve in Hanjin Shipping. So why does Jihyun keep looking for you?"

"She needs help with some proposal that Uncle Park came up with." I replied quickly, trying to defend myself.

"Listen to what you had just replied me, Eunjin. Some proposal that Uncle Park came up with. So shouldn't she be looking for Uncle Park instead of you? You said it yourself. It's all business. So whether Jihyun like it or not, whether she is comfortable or not, she still has to liase with Uncle Park and not you. Don't you see that indirectly you are the one who is instilling those doubts into Krystal. You are the one who gave her that insecurities." 

"I.... I..." I bite my lips as a frown appeared on my forehead. "But Krystal knows that I love her a lot. How can she think that I would lie or cheat on her like that?"

"You knew that all along Krystal was not comfortable with you being close to Jihyun. To you, it's purely business. But to Krystal? Have you ever put yourself in her shoes? Did you do anything to help her overcome her insecurities even after she told you about it?" Sunny bombarded me with questions.

I placed my right elbow on the table with my right palm tucked under my chin. I thought about those times in the early stages of our relationship when Krystal showed her discomfort when it's about Jihyun. I also remembered that Krystal always felt like she was not good enough for me and was not able to assist me much when it's about Hanjin Shipping. It was then I realised that if I had taken more actions on my part to settle the issue, this whole incident would not even need to happen.

"Actually, I had started to feel bad about the way I ignored her after she didn't came home to my apartment that night. But I still felt that I shouldn't give in especially after Yuri told me that Jessica nagged at her. When she still didn't return for the 2nd night, I got restless and yesterday she didn't contact me at all. I didn't know how to approach the situation anymore."

"If you think you are in the wrong, then apologise. In a relationship, it does not matter who apologises first. Is your pride more important than your love for her?" Sunny asked as I immediately shook my head. 

"Then I think you already know what to do." Sunny said as she smiled. "Finish up your drink before you leave."

"Thanks, Sunny. Talking to you really clears up my clouded mind. And thank you so much for knocking some sense into my head." 

"It's been a pleasure. Come again if you need some more knocking. I'll bash through that thick skull of yours." Sunny laughed at her own remark as I meronged at her. 

Making my way to my car, I dialed a number and waited for the person to answer it.

************************

"Are you still staying at your Unnie's place?" 

Krystal looked up towards Luna and nodded her head without saying a word. She let out a sigh before taking another sip from her drink. At the moment, both she and Luna were hanging out at a cafe after they were done with work. Krystal didn't feel like going back home straight so she asked Luna to accompany her at the cafe.

"Is your Unnie still nagging at you?" Luna asked another question and this time round, Krystal just shook her head. "If you are not planning to open your mouth to even talk to me, I rather go home."

"Luna... Mianhae." 

Krystal finally answered but her eyes were watery as Luna quickly gave her some napkins. Luna tried to comfort her friend by rubbing Krystal's back as Krystal snifled quietly into the napkin.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry. By the way, has Eunjin replied to any of your messages?" Luna was careful with her question as Krystal paused momentarily before shaking her head.

"I stopped messaging her since yesterday because I felt that it's no use. She's very angry with her and no matter what I said to her, she's just going to ignore it." 

Krystal slumped into the seat and just stared at the ground. Luna was about to say something when her phone vibrated with an incoming message.

Hi, Luna. This is Eunjin. Is Krystal with you right now because I'm at her Unnie's place and she's not here? - Unknown

Luna was about to show Krystal the message when the phone vibrated again.

If you're with Krystal, please don't inform her that I'm looking for her. Just tell me where both of you are and I'll go there instead. - Unknown

Another message soon appeared.

I need to apologize to Krystal. Please help me. - Unknown

"You seem busy. Who's that?"

Luna almost dropped her phone when Krystal shot her that question.

"Oouuhh.... Just.. Some unknown.. I mean someone from work. Give me a second. I need to send some work related stuff." Luna stammered her reply, causing Krystal to look at her suspiciously but Luna continued to maintain her poker face as she quickly informed Eunjin about their location. "Okay, done."

"Maybe we should just go home. I don't want to disturb you if you need to settle your work matters." Krystal was about to stand up when Luna stopped her.

"It's okay. It's just a small matter. Anyway, do you want to get some dessert or sandwich? I'm suddenly hungry."

Krystal had a confused look as she watched Luna making her way towards the counter and looking through the cake display in the cafe.

Eunjin's POV

I bite my lips as I stared at my phone, waiting for a reply. After meeting Sunny earlier, I had called Yuri straight away to check if she was at home. After confirming that she was, I had made my way there without telling her.

(Flashbacks)

I waited for the door to open after pressing the doorbell and Yuri had a surprised look on her since I was holding on to a bouquet of flowers. 

"What are you doing here?" Yuri asked as I grinned sheepishly.

"Has Krystal reached home?"

Yuri shook her head and invited me in. I saw Jessica seated at the couch and she also had a surprised look on her when our eyes met.

"Oh my god. I didn't know that you're coming. Yuri didn't inform me anything." Jessica stood up and looked a little awkward with my presence.

"I didn't inform Yuri that I was coming. I'm actually looking for Krystal." There was a moment of silence after I stopped talking as the three of us looked at each other. "I  believe both of you knew what had happened between the two of us. I'm here to apologise to Krystal for the way I treated her."

Jessica and Yuri looked at each other, both with confusing looks as Jessica started to question my decision to apologise.

"Why do you need to apologise when it's clearly Krystal's fault for accusing you?"

"Because she's been asking for forgiveness but I was too selfish and neglected her. I should have been a bigger person instead of an ." I let out a sigh when I was reminded of the way I had been ignoring Krystal the past few days.

"Krystal's not home yet. She's been coming home late ever since that incident. I think she's trying to avoid us." Yuri replied while Jessica emphasized that her sister was trying to avoid her naggings. "Maybe you can check with Luna. Krystal might be hanging out with her."

I told Yuri that I didn't have Luna's number but luckily, Jessica had it. I left their place and immediately texted Luna.

(End of flashbacks) 

The sound of an incoming message disrupted my thoughts as a smile appeared when I received the address from Luna. I quickly started my car engine and drove off from Yuri's house carpark.

It took me a while to reach the cafe as it was quite far from Yuri's place. I had just switched off my engine when I received an incoming message.

Are you here yet? We had already finished our cakes and drinks so Krystal is planning to leave. I've got no more idea to stop her. - Luna

I quickly typed a reply as I hastened my way towards the cafe. Since I was also holding on to the bouquet of flowers while typing, I wasn't aware of what was in front of me and ended up bumping into someone.

"I'm sorry."

The person quickly spoke and bowed her head but a smile appeared on my face as I could recognised the owner of the voice even without looking at her.

"And I'm sorry too. For hurting you more than you've already been."

Krystal's POV

"Let's go home. I'm starting to feel sleepy already."

I placed the empty glass on the table as I saw Luna looking a little troubled. Without saying anything to me, she took out her phone and typed something quickly.

"5 more minutes." She replied with a grin as I frowned at her.

"Wae? You've already finished your cake and drink so why do you need more time?"

Luna continued grinning as she shrugged her shoulders. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my stuff.

"I'm leaving. You're acting strange at the moment and it's making me feel uneasy. You can stay if you want to. Bye."

We were seated quite near the entrance so it didn't take long for me to reach the cafe door. I was about to step out when I turned around as I heard Luna calling me. That action caused me to bump into someone who was about to enter the cafe.

"I'm sorry." I quickly apologised and bowed my head as I saw a bouquet of lilies in the person's hand.

"And I'm sorry too. For hurting you more than you've already been."

I looked up when I heard that familiar voice.

"I'm sorry for ignoring your messages. I'm sorry for taking your insecurities lightly. I'm sorry for not taking action to prevent you from having those insecurities. I'm sorry for making you doubt the importance of your presence in my life. I'm sorry for being such an ."

Eunjin's mouth was quivering and her eyes were teary by the time she stopped talking. She held the bouquet up and her tears finally flowed down.

"Jung Soo jung, will you forgive me?"