Chapter 96

Hard But Easy

Taeyeon and I were smirking at one corner of the cafe as we observed an interesting scene happening just a few metres away from us. Currently, both of us were at the opening ceremony of the shop as familiar faces appeared at the event. 

"Should we pity Yul or should we really pity her?" Taeyeon threw a witty question at me as I just chuckled. "I really didn't realise that Yul had so many admirers until today."

"The other three before her seems like admirer but this on seems a little different. An ex maybe?" I patted my own chin with my finger as if trying to remember if Yuri had brought the girl before to our old workshop. "Sica doesn't seem to be too happy anyway. By the way, didn't those girls knew that Yuri got married?"

"I don't think so. Yuri didn't invite any of our old customers from the workshop for her wedding, remember? I presume they still thought that Yuri is single. Well, until Jessica cling herself onto Yuri and introduced herself as Yuri's wife." Taeyeon answered as I felt a presence beside me.

"Is Yuri-unnie always this popular among girls?" 

I turned to my left and smiled at Krystal beside me. "She's quite famous when the 3 of us were still working at the old garage."

"But her popularity seemed to drop a little after Eunjin started working there. Some of her fans switched sides." Taeyeon laughed at her own remarks as my eyes grew wider.

"Is that so, Han Eunjin?" Krystal's words seemed cold as I shook my head immediately.

"They were just regular customers. Nothing more than that. I think Yuri treats them the same way too. As customers." I said with a nervous smile as I  noticed Yuri and Jessica making their way towards us. "Are you okay, Yul?"

"I'm going to kill Sunny soon. Why the hell did she invite our old customers to today's event?" Yuri looked around, presumably trying to look for Sunny.

"And I'm going to kill you soon, Kwon Yuri. If I have to introduce myself as your wife again to one more girl who's trying to flirt with you, you better pray for your own safety." Jessica gave Yuri a cold glare before she walked away to join Tiffany and Yoona who were busy taking care of the refreshments for the guests.

Taeyeon and I ended up laughing at Yuri's pitiful face as Krystal could only shook her head. Yuri started complaining to us about how Sunny's idea to help with the business by inviting old customers to the event was backfiring on her part. She had to handle 4 girls so far who had came up to her and tried to flirt their way. Lucky for Yuri, the 4 girls didn't arrived at the event at the same time.

"Sunny was just trying to help. She had our welfare in mind. Look at it at a positive side. At least now, those girls knew that you are already off the market." I tried to make Yuri feel better.

"Yeah, I'm glad about that but not when Sica's arnd. I don't want her to witness such things happening. Especially when it concerned my past." Yuri let out a sigh.

"I think Unnie was just kidding when she showed her anger just now. I can see how arrogant she looked when she introduced herself as your wife. When Unnie decided to marry you, she told me that she didn't mind about your past at all." Krystal smiled at Yuri and patted her arm.

"She said that?" A stupid smile finally appeared on Yuri's face as Taeyeon and I laughed at her. "Anyway, one of the girls asked me to send her regards to Eunjin. She said she couldn't find you among the crowd earlier. Must be during the time you went to the office to answer a call."

"Which girl was that?" Krystal immediately asked before I could say anything as Taeyeon laughed louder while Krystal glared at me.

"Must be one of the girls earlier. The ones that switched sides." Taeyeon added her comment while giggling away.

"Thanks, Taeyeon. That's a very helpful explanation." I grumbled and rolled my eyes at her.

"Relax. Krystal is a very understanding person. Just like her sister. Am I right?" Yuri asked her as Krystal pouted before sticking her tongue out at me. "We should go around and greet more people."

With that, all of us dispersed with Krystal clinging her arms on mine as we walked around the workshop.

The event ended slightly later then scheduled but everyone seemed satisfied although most of us were tired. When all the guests had left the place, the girls all gathered at the 2nd floor where the cafe was. Victoria prepared some light snacks for us to enjoy while we gathered around the table.

"How's Halmeoni doing, Eunjin?" Sooyoung asked me randomly after we chatted about the event. "It's just too bad that both your grandparents couldn't make it to the opening."

"She's still a little weak and Harabeoji has been accompanying her all this while. Doctor Ahn is still checking on her since she kept saying that she's been having discomfort in the stomach. Hopefully Halmeoni gets better soon." I explained while everyone nodded their heads. "Krystal and I would be going over to visit them tomorrow so if anyone is free, you are most welcome to tag along."

The gathering continued for another hour before we decided to call it a day.

************************

Krystal and I reached the hospital around noon since both of us had trouble waking up early due to the exhaustion. I had a few missed calls from Harabeoji in the morning but when I called him back, he told me that he would speak to me at the hospital itself. During the car ride to the hospital, Krystal had to keep assuring me that everything was fine as it was obvious that I was nervous. She was the one who drove us to the hospital.

 The doctors were checking on Halmeoni when Krystal and I walked into the room. Harabeoji was seated at the couch, his eyes were staring at the closed curtains surrounding the bed.

"Harabeoji. Is everything okay? How's Halmeoni? Why can't we talk on the phone earlier?" I started bombarding questions after questions at the old man who was seated calmly.

"Eunjin... lower down your voice. The doctors are checking on Halmeoni." Krystal tapped my arm lightly as I just blinked because I was not even aware that I had spoke loudly earlier. "I know you're nervous right now. Calm down."

Krystal sat beside Harabeoji and greeted him as I let out a heavy sigh. Harabeoji continued to keep his silence even though he nodded his head at Krystal's greeting. If Krystal was not there with me, I had a feeling that I would be losing my temper soon.

The sound of the curtains opening interrupted our tense atmosphere as I turned around to look. Doctor Ahn was there along with two more doctors and a few other nurses. I noticed they were talking among themselves before everyone left the room except for Doctor Ahn. I managed to steal a glance at Halmeoni who seemed to be sleeping soundly on her bed.

"How is she?" 

That was the first thing that I heard coming from Harabeoji since I arrived 10mins ago.

"She's fine. Her heart beat has stabilised." Doctor Ahn smiled as I looked at her with a confused expression. "I can see that you're not aware of what had happened but rest assured that everything is taken care of. Your Halmeoni's temperature shot up last night and she suddenly vomitted this morning."

"Fever again? And vomitting too? What's going on, Doctor Ahn? Are you really sure that Halmeoni is fine?" I started to question the doctor myself.

"It's just a normal virus but because of your Halmeoni's age and health, it's taking longer to recover." Doctor Ahn tried to reassure me. "But I worry about that old man right there. He's not been resting well these past few days."

"I'm fine, Doctor. Don't have to worry about me." Harabeoji knew the doctor was referring to him as he stood up before making his way slowly to the bed. "I'll feel better if I'm here with my wife."

"But Mr Han, if you want to be here for your wife, you need to take care of your own health too." Doctor Ahn tried to persuade Harabeoji as Krystal nodded her head.

"Harabeoji, why don't you let Eunjin send you home to take a shower and a nap after lunch while I take care of Halmeoni in the meantime? Both of you can come back here for dinner." Krystal suggested as a frown appeared on my face.

"Why do I....?" I couldn't complete my question when I saw the glare from Krystal. "I don't think Harabeoji wants to..."

" Okay. That's  good idea. I can go and buy her favourite food later for dinner. Let's have lunch now since Halmeoni is already asleep." Harabeoji stood up and walked towards the door, leaving me and Krystal behind.

Since he was walking a distance away from us towards the cafetaria, I nudged Krystal's shoulder and pouted. Even without saying anything, Krystal understood that I was unhappy about her suggestion earlier.

"He needs you. Even though he doesn't say it out, I could sense it. Just like you, he doesn't have anyone else besides Halmeoni. Don't you think that both of you should spend more time together, especially at times when it doesn't concern work?"

Krystal's words struck a chord in my heart and I couldn't say anything against it. Both of us walked in silence before taking a seat at a table where Harabeoji had sat down. Krystal took our orders and left.

"I can just go home on my own later. You should just stay in the hospital since you had just arrived." Harabeoji said to me without looking at my direction.

"Why did you agree to Krystal's suggestion in the first place? I thought you didn't want to leave Halmeoni's side." I questioned his decision and noticed a small smile on his face.

"I agreed because Krystal volunteered to stay behind to look after Halmeoni while I'm away."

I frowned a little at his reply. "That's it? As simple as that?" I asked as I couldn't believe that his reasoning was as simple as having someone else around to be there for Halmeoni.

"Yes. It is as simple as that but I need to be able to trust the person that is taking care of Halmeoni. I trust Krystal which is why I agreed to return home for a while."

"You could have just told me to look after Halmeoni if you wanted me to do so." I replied, feeling a little disappointed that he didn't seem to trust me as much as Krystal.

"Telling you to do something and you yourself volunteering to do so, is two different matters. Are you going to do it because I tell you to do so or because you really wanted to do it? Furthermore, you've been busy lately and I didn't want to burden you." Harabeoji looked at me and smile. It was a warm smile, which showed that he understood my position.

"Taking care of you and Halmeoni will never be a burden to me. I'm sorry if I seemed to have neglected both of you." I started to feel guilty when I thought back about my packed schedules for the past few weeks, especially during the times when Halmeoni was not well. 

"I understand. Me and your Halmeoni understood that you were busy. Especially with what happened to the company. You must be thankful to Krystal. Whenever she has the time, she would call or visit us." Harabeoji informed me as I just nodded my head. "By the way, there's something that I need to talk to you about. It's something that me and Halmeoni had discussed before. About you and Krystal. We were wondering..."

Harabeoji didn't complete his sentence when Krystal appeared with a tray of food at the table. I helped her out and arranged the food for everyone. Harabeoji immediately changed the topic and started to talk to Krystal about other things. At that time, I felt that it was not a good time to ask Harabeoji to continue his sentence earlier so I decided to just concentrate on my lunch.

'I'll ask him later when Krystal is not around.' That was the thought that came to my mind as I just listened in to the conversation between Harabeoji and Krystal.

************************

The drive back to Harabeoji's place was filled with silence. The old man seemed to be taking a nap as he closed his eyes by the time I left the hospital carpark. 

'He must have been really exhausted.' I thought to myself and wondered about those times when Harabeoji kept things to himself with regards to his thoughts and feelings. 

When I reached the garage and had parked the car, I shook his shoulders softly to wake him up. 

"Harabeoji, we have arrived home." 

I just observed as he stretched himself slowly before nodding his head. Both of us made our way to the house where the maids greeted us and asked if we wanted then to prepare any food or drinks. 

"Just prepare some tea and light snacks. I'm going to take a bath and have them later." Harabeoji replied to them before turning to face me. "I'll see you later at the dining area in an hour."

I nodded my head as he walked up the stairs to head to his room. I decided to walk out to the outdoor area and laid down by the swimming pool while I sent a message to Krystal. 

I just arrived at Harabeoji's place. He had went to take a bath and informed me to meet him in an hour at the dining area for some light snacks - Eunjin

It didn't take long for Krystal to reply back and she said that Halmeoni had woken up. She informed me about the surprised look on Halmeoni when she saw her instead of Harabeoji. 

But Halmeoni was glad that I managed to make Harabeoji agree to go back home even for a short while. - Krystal

Harabeoji told me that he agreed to your suggestion because you volunteered to take care of Halmeoni when he's not around. He said that he trusted you and believed that you'll do a good job. - Eunjin

It's not a big deal. Halmeoni is not someone that is difficult to take care of. By the way, you should get some rest too while you're there. - Krystal

I will. I'm currently resting on one of the lounge chair by the pool. - Eunjin

After a few more exhange of messages, I told Krystal that I was getting sleepy and she quickly told me to take a nap. I didn't know how long I was asleep but I woke up due to a soft shake of my shoulder by someone. When I opened my eyes, it was one of the maids who informed me that Harabeoji was waiting for me at the dining table.

I nodded my head to her and told her to help me to inform Harabeoji that I would be joining him soon after washing my face.

30 mins later, I was already seated beside Harabeoji at the dining table. The old man was reading the newspaper while taking small sips of his tea. 

"Harabeoji... Can I ask you a question?" 

The old man gave me a knowing look before putting his cup down and folded the newspaper. As he nodded his head, I continued talking by asking about his incomplete sentence earlier at the hospital with regards to me and Krystal. 

"Aaahhhh. That." He paused for a while before a smile appeared on his face. "Marriage. I was about to ask you about marriage." 

Even though his reply was something that I had expected, hearing it out loud still made me speechless. It was not something that I had not thought about but it was something that I had never discuss outrightly with Krystal. 

Seeing that I had kept quiet, Harabeoji must have felt a little guilty as he continued by saying that Halmeoni and him were not planning to pressure me about the matter. 

"I'm sorry if the topic is not something that you want to talk to me about. Maybe it would have been better if Halmeoni was the one who brought it up to you." 

"It's not that, Harabeoji. Even though I kind of expected this topic to pop out one day, hearing it out loud stunned me a little. I've never actually discussed about marriage with Krystal before. Not that we have never talked about it before but.... " I stopped talking and swallowed my saliva as I was momentarily lost for words. 

"I understand. It's good that you had at least thought about it. You do want to settle down with Krystal, right?" Harabeoji asked with a teasing tone. 

"Of course. What kind of question is that?" I replied while pretending to be a little shocked since I knew he was joking around. 

Both of us ended up laughing before Harabeoji suddenly appeared to be in deep thoughts. 

"Eunjin, I know you don't like to hear what I'm going to say next but this is part and parcel of life. At one point of your life, you will have to face it whether you like it or not." Harabeoji paused as he took in a deep breathe. "Halmeoni and I are getting on with age. If possible, before we close our eyes, we want to make sure that you are in good hands. I have not done my part as a good grandfather to you. I know you had gone through a lot of hardships because of my selfishness and ego. But I'm really thankful that you had never held it against me. This could be our very last request to you."

Harabeoji then looked at me before giving a warm smile. 

************************

"Remember to eat your medication and follow the doctor and nurses instructions."

"When did you start to nag so much? You're becoming more and more like your Harabeoji. Did he brainwashed you when both of you when back home together earlier?" Halmeoni teased me as Krystal just giggled.

Harabeoji and I had returned back to the hospital around 7pm after buying some dinner for the four of us. Once we were done eating, we chatted for a while before Halmeoni suggested for both Krystal and I to go home and rest. That was how all the naggings started.

"I'm not being naggy. I'm just showing my concern." I retorted back with a pout as Krystal walked up to me and gave me a side hug.

"Halmeoni was just teasing you, sweetheart. But she's right. It's almost 9pm now. We should head back and let Harabeoji and Halmeoni have some private time. Seems like Harabeoji had a good rest earlier at home." Krystal smiled at Harabeoji who just showed her a thumbs up.

We said our goodbyes and made our way down to the carpark.

"Did something happened just now when you followed Harabeoji back?"

It was question thrown to me by Krystal while I was driving back to our apartment. I was too absorbed in my own thoughts that I didn't realised that both of us had not spoken to each other since we left the hospital carpark.

"Nothing happened. We just had some talks between us."

"Talks?" Krystal repeated my word as I nodded my head. "About the company or Halmeoni?"

"About us." I replied as Krystal looked a little surprised before she broke into a small smile. "Wae? What's with the smile?"

"Anni. It's just that I think I know what the talk was about and you don't have to tell me about it. I just want you to know that whatever your decision is, you will always have my full support." Krystal continued smiling as I turned for a while to look at her before looking ahead to concentrate on the road. "I love you."

A smile automatically appeared on my face as I turned again to my side for a quick glance.

"I love you too."