Chapter 24

Hard But Easy

We were laughing away, chatting about random stuff when Yuri informed that Yoona and Sooyoung had arrived. She wanted to go out to bring the girls in but I volunteered to do so. Making my way towards the stairs, I was surprised to hear someone calling out my name. Turning to my side, I saw Amber smiling and waving her hand at me.

But my eyes grew bigger when I saw Krystal seated beside her. She seemed to be surprised too but she looked away when our eyes came in contact. I smiled and waved back to Amber before jogginng down the stairs quickly. Yoona and Sooyoung were already waiting so I didn't want to delay them any further.

Krystal's POV

Two of Amber's friend were already at the couch when we arrived so I sat at the end of the semi-circle couch while Amber sat beside me. A short introduction was done by Amber since I've never met them before. Our drink orders were also taken while amber started to chat with her friends. I was not interested to join in so I played with my phone while listening to the music. 

"Eunjin-unnie!"

I was looking down on my phone when I heard Amber calling out that name. My head automatically turned to face Amber as I saw her waving her hand at someone. As I turned to the direction where she was looking at, my eyes widened when I saw her.

'Why does she look so cool in that all black outfit? And that cute loop-sided smile? Aisshhh...'

Our eyes met as I quickly looked away. I saw her making a fast turn and jogged down the stairs quickly as I just observed all her movement.

'She seemed to be in a rush. Wait a minute? What is she doing in a club? Don't tell me she's also the type who loves to go clubbing?'

I didn't know why but my eyes kept their stare on the stairs, as if waiting for Eunjin-unnie to reappear. I got excited when I saw a head slowly coming to view but I was disappointed when it was the waiter who came to bring our drinks. I had almost gave up by then as I grabbed my glass of coke and was about to sip on it when I heard familiar voices.

Three figures came up the stairs as I immediately recognised all 3 of them. It seemed that Eunjin-unnie had came to fetch Yoona-unnie and Sooyoung-unnie from the entrance. This time round, Eunjin-unnie approached our table.

"Hey Am. When did you arrive? I didn't see you when we came earlier." Eunjin-unnie said as Amber replied that she and I had just arrived about 10mins ago. "Does your sister know that you're here?"

I knew that Eunjin-unnie was talking to me so I looked up since I was seated and she was standing just by my side. I shook my head and pouted.

"You might want to inform her before she finds out. She's here anyway."

I automatically stood up, almost crashing my head into Eunjin-unnie's chin but luckily, she managed to dodge it. I looked at her as she pointed to the last partition, as if telling me that my sister was there. Yoona-unnie also agreed that it was better for me to inform my sister personally.

"Don't worry. We'll make sure that she won't scold you." Yoona-unnie wrapped her arm on my shoulder as if she was preparing to protect me.

I turned to look at Amber who just showed me a thumbs up without saying a word. I sighed and nodded my head slowly as I followed the 3 unnies to where their other friends were.

Jessica's POV

Ever since Tiffany suggested for Yuri to stick close to me, this cute girl had been literally obeying that instruction. She sat close to me but making sure that I was not feeling uncomfortable with her closenes. Sunny and Chorong had been trying to persuade us to go down to the dance floor but Yuri rejected her idea.

"It's too crowded downstairs. If you want to dance, you can dance here. There's ample space for you and Chorong to do so." Yuri suggested and pointed to the space in between our coach and the glass ledge where we could see the lower floor.

"Obviously it's crowded downstairs. It's a club. Don't pretend like it's your first time here." Sunny said as Yuri pouted.

"It's been months since she went clubbing. She's a hermit now." Taeyeon laughed at her own remarks but her laughter stopped when Yuri threw a coaster at her. "By the way, what's taking Eunjin so long? I thought you said that your sister and Sooyoung are already here."

"That's right. Should I go and look for them?" Yuri frowned a little and was about to stand up when Eunjin appeared with Sooyoung beside her.

"Speaking of the devil." Tiffany smiled as Eunjin turned to look at Sooyoung.

"She's taking about you. Food devil." Eunjin giggled as Sooyoung pretended to choke her.

I was about to ask about Yoona's whereabouts when the girl appeared behind them with her arms on someone's shoulders.

"Soojung?" My eyes widened as my sister made a quick eye-contact with me before looking down. "Why are you here? Did Yoona bring you here?"

Krystal shook her head and replied that Amber was the one who brought her here. I wasn't sure why I was feeling angry all of the sudden. Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting my sister to be at a club. Or maybe I wasn't expecting her to be here without me. Whatever it was, I knew I had a cold expression on my face and was glaring hard at my dongsaeng.

"Don't be angry at her. She's an adult. And I think Amber is someone we can trust." Yuri's voice broke my glare as I turned to face her. "Do you and Amber already have a table, Krystal? If not, you can join us."

"Amber and her friends are already at the very first VIP partition." Krystal answered but still avoiding her sister's eye contact. "Unnie, I'm so..."

"Will you be coming home with me tonight?" My question must have confused her since she must have expected that I would be scolding her but after what Yuri had said to me, I seemed to have calm down.

"I... I... Luna and Sulli are at the dorm. They stayed in for the weekend." Krystal answered as I nodded my head.

"Take care of yourself and enjoy. Don't hang out too late."

************************

It's already 10minutes after midnight. Sooyoung, Yoona, Sunny and Chorong had already headed down to the first floor about 20mins ago. Taeyeon and Tiffany went to the Ladies so I was left with Yuri and Jessica. Both of them seemed to be in a deep conversation so I was feeling a little out of place at the moment. Taking my glass of cider, I walked to the glass ledge and looked down. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the music, dancing along and bumping into each other. I laughed a little when I saw the funny dance movements that Sooyoung and Yoona were doing.

When Amber appeared beside them to join in their weird dancing, my eyes started to wonder around as if they were looking for someone else. I noticed that Amber were pointing upwards but not to my direction. As I followed the direction of her finger, a grin appeared on my face when I saw Krystal leaning against the ledge. With her elbow rested on the metal rail, Krystal waved a little towards Yoona who was waving at her.

"Not joining them?"

My voice must have startled her as she took a step back when she turned to face me but when she realised who it was, she just rolled her eyes at me.

"I'm not in the mood. Furthermore, it's too crowded." Krystal replied as I nodded my head.

Silence creeped in as we stood beside each other while we continued to observe the activities below us.

"Is this your first time here?" I asked as Krystal nodded her head before she repeated the same question to me. "I've been to a club before when I was doing my degree. But not that much. Maybe about 4 times? That was also because of some events going on."

"Can I ask you something?" Krystal broke the silence as she tilted her body slightly so that she could face me as I nodded my head. "Is there something going on between my sister and Yuri-unnie?"

"What makes you think so?" 

"I don't know. It seemed like Unnie was a little upset with me earlier but when Yuri-unnie leaned and whispered something in her ears, her glare disappeared and was replaced with a soft look." Krystal explained.

"If they're together, would you be able to accept it?" I turned my body so that I could observe Krystal's reaction. "I'm asking because Yuri doesn't really have a good image tagged to her. You know what I mean, right?"

Krystal nodded her head. "As long as Unnie is happy and she take cares of Unnie well, I guess I'm fine with it. But what about you?"

"Me? What has this got to do with me?" I frowned a little, pretending that I didn't really see the connection when I knew what she was trying to hint.

"Aren't you and Unnie...?" Krystal didn't complete her sentence as she paused and frowned as if she had realised something. "Never mind. Forget what I had said."

I chuckled when I saw Krystal's confusion. I guessed what Yuri said was right. Krystal really thought that me and Jessica had something going on. Krystal glared at me when she saw me chuckling but it didn't affect me at all.  

"You thought that me and your sister has something going on, is it?" I shot back the question that Krystal had intended to ask me earlier.

"I saw you sending Unnie back that day. She was suppose to have a lunch date with someone on that particular day. That was what Fany-unnie said." Krystal explained herself.

"The person that your sister had a lunch date with, asked my help to send her home since her car broke down." I smiled when another frown reappeared on Krystal's face.

"How did you know the person that my sister had a....? Wait.. That person was Yuri-unnie? Am I right?" Krystal's question was met with a nod from me. "Then what about the flo...?"

"The what?" I couldn't really hear what was Krystal's next question, either because it was too noisy or because she didn't complete her sentence.

"Never mind. Just forget it." Krystal finally said as I just smiled and shook my head.

"It seems like you're the kind who likes to keep things to yourself. Hiding your true feelings, trying to make sure that you don't hurt others." I said nonchalantly while staring ahead of me but I knew that Krystal was looking at me from the side. "I used to be someone like that when I was young. And I lost the opportunity to show and express how much I appreciated the presence of people who had loved me."

"You've lost someone that loved you?" Krystal asked as I turned again to face her before nodding my head. "Was she special?"

"They were very special to me." I smiled a little while Krystal looked lost. "Maybe that's why when I found another special person, I wanted to make sure that I will protect her and show her how much I really care."

"Another special person?" The rapid blinking of Krystal's eyes made me nod my head along. "Who is....?"

"Hey, stop it."

Krystal's question was interrupted when we heard some commotions from my table. Turning behind, I saw Yuri trying to block a girl who seemed drunk from getting to Jessica. Rushing to their side, I informed Krystal to look for the other girls.

Grabbing the drunk girl from behind, I held her waist tight as she kept squirming around. Yuri had a nervous look on her face while Jessica was hiding behind her back.

"What's going on?" I tried to ask while trying my best not to drain my strength from the struggling girl. Yuri explained that the girl appeared suddenly from nowhere and started blabbering about not seeing Yuri for a long time and that she had missed her a lot. "Do you know her?"

Yuri took a deep breathe before letting out a huge sigh. "Unfortunately, yes."

By then, the other girls had arrived along with one of the waiters. Seeing that I was struggling with the girl, he helped me to call the bodyguards and took the drunken girl away. After they left, the rest of us took a seat including Krystal. No one said a word until Yuri stood up and bowed her head.

"I'm sorry for causing all this ruckus. I knew that girl. She was someone that I dated before." Yuri bite her lips and continued to look down.

"That was her, right?" Jessica said as she mentioned a name which she later explained was one of her friends who went to the same university as Yuri. "She was the one who told me about Yuri being a player, showing me photos of Yuri with different girls in intimate pose."

"Yes. That was her. I didn't know she'll be all cranky when she's drunk though." Yuri was pulled to sit down by Jessica. "Mianhae, Sica. You must have been shocked earlier."

"I'm fine. You protected me all the way earlier, standing between me and her when she tried to reach out for me. Did she scratch or hurt you? She was like a crazy cat, showing her claws." Jessica tried to mimick the actions earlier in a funny way so that the atmosphere won't be too tense. "Don't feel so bad, Yuri. I'm really fine."

"Do you believe now that there's really nothing between me and your unnie?" I whispered to Krystal who was seating beside me as she nodded her head slowly while her eyes continued to observe the interactions between Jessica and Yuri.

"Why are the two of you whispering sweetly at each other?" Sunny suddenly pointed her finger at me and Krystal before grinning away cheekily. "I saw the two of you standing by the ledge, chatting away privately. Are you confessing your feelings for each other?"

My eyes blinked repeatedly  as I swallowed my saliva. 'Aish, this Sunny and that big mouth of hers.' My cheeks were getting warmer as I stole a glance at Krystal who had turned her face away from me. 'Is Krystal offended by Sunny's remarks?'

"Looks like your sister is blushing, Jessi." Tiffany said in a teasing manner as everyone turned to look at her.

It was then that I felt a vibration in my pocket. Taking out my phone, I saw a message from my Halmeoni.

To Eunjin,

Your Harabeoji is at Seoul Hospital right now. He fell down in the bathroom and injured his head. I know that you and him didn't have a very good relationship but please come. At least for me. 

From Halmeoni.

I stood up abruptly, causing everyone to be taken aback. My heartbeat was rapid and my hands were shaking badly. Yuri was the first one to notice it as she rushed to my side.

"What's wrong, Eunjin? Who messaged you?" 

When she didn't receive any reply from me, she grabbed my phone and read the message. A gasp escaped from as Yoona and Taeyeon started to get worried too.

"I've got to go." I grabbed my phone from Yuri and made a dash to the stairs, leaving everyone dumbfounded.

No One's POV

After Eunjin ran off suddenly, everyone expected Yuri to explain what happened since she was the only one who saw the message. Once they found out about the incident, the girls grew worried for both Eunjin and her Harabeoji.

"Do you think she'll be fine?" Taeyeon looked at Yuri while biting her finger. "Riding in that state of mind could be dangerous."

"Should we just go and follow her, Unnie?" Yoona suggested. "I'm scared for Eunjin's safety. Furthermore, she rides. It's really dangerous if she's anxious and speed off to the hospital."

"Is her parents on the way to the hospital too?" Krystal's question caused everyone except for Tiffany, Jessica and Chorong to freeze in their spot.

Just when Yuri was about to answer her, a loud voice echoed through the sound system. The girls' attention were quickly diverted to the stage in the lower floor where the DJ was situated. But at the moment, Amber was standing on stage while holding on to a mic.

"Everyone!! I have a confession to make." Amber chuckled a little. "I've been going out with this girl whom I liked a lot. We've been dating for some time now. So right now, I want to use this opportunity to propose to her."

Krystal started to shake her head as if she didn't want Amber to continue her speech while the other girls looked at her with a worried tone.

"Krystal, would you be my girlfriend?"

Loud cheerings echoed in the club as the lights started to flash around and everyone started to echo the words 'accept her.' Amber suddenly jumped off the stage and started running upwards along with her friends as the cheerings grew louder. When she arrived at where the girls were, she was surprised to see Krystal looking at her with a disappointed look while the other girls seemed to look away.

"Hey, Krys. Is everything okay?" Amber asked.

"Why don't the both of you sit down and talk things out?" Yuri suggested as Amber took a seat at the couch while her friends sat at the next partition. "The rest of you, can you do me a favour? Go to the hospital to accompany Eunjin. I'll be here to accompany Sica. Anything just update me."

************************

I don't know how I could manage to ride well with my state of mind in a turmoil. It could be due to the fact that I knew I had to be alive to reach the hospital. After parking my bike at the side, I dashed to the counter to enquire. I shouldn't have need to waste time asking since Harabeoji should be placed in the VIP room. As I made my way quickly to the lift to get to the highest floor, unconsciously I started to pray for Harabeoji.

The lift opened and the first person I saw was Uncle Park, seated outside at the corridor. There was a bodyguard in front of the room as I walked up to the elderly man.

"Uncle Park."

He lifted up his head slowly and I could see the sadness in his eyes. No words were exchanged as I just patted his shoulders before walking up to the door. I was about to place my hand on the door knob when the bodyguard stopped me.

"Let her in. She's the Director's granddaughter."

I heard Uncle Park's voice behind me as the bodyguard bowed a little before opening the door for me. Walking in, I saw Aunt Nancy standing at the corner of the room. Her swollen eyes were proof that she had been crying a lot. Harabeoji was lying on the bed with some wirings attached to the tubes on his body. His head was bandaged and there was no sign of him waking up soon. Halmeoni was seated by the side of the bed, both her hands clasping Harabeoji's left hand and rubbing it gently. 

It was the first time that I came to see Harabeoji without him glaring down at me. Seeing him so fragile on that bed, it made my heart felt heavy. Even though we've never been on good terms, he was still my grandfather. 

"Halmeoni..."

She turned around and smiled a little when she heard my voice. Gesturing me to come closer, I grabbed a chair and sat down beside her.

"What happened? Is he going to be alright?" 

"He slipped while he was in the bathroom. I heard a loud thud sound as if something hit the floor. There was no response from your Harebeoji when I called out to him so I knew that something was wrong. I tried to open the door but it was locked so I called Nancy for help. We still couldn't open it until Park came. Harabeoji was already covered in a pool of blood when we managed to get in. The doctor said that he hit the edge of the wash basin when he slipped."

"What else did the doctor say? When is he waking up?"

"At the moment, he himself is not sure when your Harabeoji will be waking up. There's a cut on his head but they had managed to stop the bleeding and sew it up. All we can do now is just to pray." Halmeoni replied as her head dropped down. 

I saw the movement of her shoulders and I knew that Halmeoni was crying. Putting my arm on her shoulder, I rubbed it gently before bringing her head to rest on my shoulder.

"I've lost my son and my daughter-in-law. If I was to lose him too..... Otteoke?"

"I'll be by your side, Halmeoni. Harabeoji will get well. He's a strong man. He loves you a lot. He won't leave you on your own." I tried to make Halmeoni feel better as I continued to rub her shoulders.

Aunt Nancy came up to us to hand some napkins for Halmeoni to wipe off her tears. While we were doing so, we heard some knocks on the door before the bodyguard's head appeared.

"Ms Han. There's a group of girls here who claimed to be your friends."

I frowned a little as Halmeoni sat up straight. She told me to check it out and invite them in if it was really my friends. I nodded my head and walked to the door, surprised when I saw Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Yoona and Sunny. I closed the door behind me and informed the bodyguard that they were indeed my friends.

"What are you all doing here?"

"Yul-unnie told us that your Harabeoji had a mishap. We came to see if you're okay. We were worried about you when you left us in a hurry." Yoona explained as I apologised for my abrupt actions earlier.

"Is he okay?" Tiffany asked as I explained about Harabeoji's condition. "Oh my god. Poor thing. Is your parents here too?"

When I heard Tiffany's question, I realised that she didn't know about my family background. She, Jessica and Krystal were the ones who have yet to find out about it. By the way, talking about Krystal....

"Where's the rest?" I asked as Sunny replied that Chorong had to return home since she has plans for tomorrow. "I mean, where's Yuri?"

"You're just looking for Krystal, right? Just ask straight to the point." Taeyeon's remarks caused me to pout. "Yul is accompanying Jessica at the club. Amber proposed to Krystal to be her girlfriend."

A sound of pain escaped from Taeyeon when Tiffany punched her arm and glared at her. It was obvious that Tiffany didn't expect Taeyeon to say out everything. 

"Amber asked Krystal to be her girlfriend? So did she agree to it?" I asked as the five of them looked at each other and shrugged her shoulders.

"We left before Krystal gave the answer." Sooyoung said as I nodded my head before turning away so that they could not see my disappointed look.

"Let's go in so that you can meet my Halmeoni." I pushed the door and walked in.

After introducing everyone to Halmeoni, she chatted with them as the girls tried to console her. I just sat at the couch quietly, feeling physically and emotionally drained out of a sudden. I knew I should be more worried about Harabeoji's condition but after hearing what Taeyeon had told me earlier, my heart felt heavier.

'Will Krystal really accept Amber's proposal to be her girlfriend?'

That thought never left my mind until I left the hospital.