Chapter 48

Hard But Easy

I stretched my arms and placed it behind my head as I leaned back against my seat while trying to stifle a yawn. I was finding it difficult to keep myself awake as I stared blankly at my computer screen. In one week's time, Harabeoji would be holding a meeting with our company's shareholders, counterparts and managers from other branches. He was planning to introduce me to everyone as his replacement once he felt that I was ready to do so.

There was a stack of files on my table which I have yet to touch since morning. All this while, I've been looking through the company's logistic statistic to find ways to improve our services to our clients.

A buzzing sound grabbed my attention as I looked at my phone screen.

What are you having for lunch? - Krystal

After reading the message, I just realised that it was already lunch time although I didn't feel hungry at all. Usually, Sunny was here to remind me of lunch but since she had to bring Yuri around the offices today, I was alone in the office.

Harabeoji had taken the day off today because he had an appointment at the hospital for his weekly check-up with Doctor Ahn. Staring at the phone, another message appeared before I could reply the first one.

Why are you taking so long to reply? Don't tell me that you're not eating again. *angry emoticon* - Krystal

I chuckled to myself when I read the message. Ever since I started work at the company, there had been a few times that I had skipped lunch because I was too engrossed in trying to absorb as much information about the company as possible. Initially, Krystal was not aware about it until she met Taeyeon and Sunny at Twin Towers having their lunch one week ago. Those two 'kind' souls were the one who told Krystal about my new habit of skipping lunch.

I'm waiting for Sunny and Yuri to come back to the office before going out to lunch with them. Taeyeon said that she's lunching with Tiffany. - Eunjin

I know. Taeng-unnie is already here in the office, waiting for Fany-unnie to finish up her work. - Krystal

Taeyeon is already there? But it's only been 15mins since lunch time and it takes 30mins to reach your sister's office. Did that shorty just left early for lunch. *thinking face emoticon* - Eunjin

Oooppsss... Did I just put Taeng-unnie into trouble? - Krystal

Just tell her that you had accidentally told me about it. I'll handle the rest of it. By the way, Yul and Sunny are back. Enjoy your lunch with your Unnie. Take care. - Eunjin

Arraseo. You take care to. I'll see you later. *winking emoticon* - Krystal

"Must be Krystal messaging her. That's why she's grinning like a dork." Sunny commented as I meronged at her before keeping my phone aside.

"How was it, Yul? Did you manage to meet everyone?" I asked as I stood up to walk towards them.

"I did. Sunny brought me to every department and introduced me to the person in-charge of those departments. Everyone seems nice though." Yuri answered but there was a little uncertainty in her voice. "But I'm still being skeptical."

"I understand. I've experienced it all when I took over momentarily when Harabeoji was hospitalised a few months back. Almost everyone treated me well but I knew that some of them had hidden agenda behind those smiles." I explained before patting Yuri's back when I saw her shoulders slumping.

"It's part and parcel of life. The higher you climb, the more difficulties you would face to find genuine acquaintance. You will slowly develop the abilities to sort this out but it's not 100% correct. Sometimes, you will get hurt or backstab." Sunny added on before I smiled.

"But you can always rely on me, Sunny and Taeyeon. We're the powerhouses at the moment." I laughed dorkily along with Sunny while Yuri just shook her head. "Frankly speaking, I'm really glad that you decided to join us and I'm really thankful for your help."

"I've not started work properly so you don't have to thank me. I may not live up to your expectations." Yuri let out a sigh.

"But I know you will. I have faith in you and your skills. Anyway, where should we lunch today?" I placed both my hands on Yuri's and Sunny's shoulders before dragging both of them to the lift.

************************

I had arrived in front of Jessica's building to fetch Krystal from work. From a distance, I noticed Krystal talking to another girl as I stopped my bike near them. Saying goodbye to the girl, Krystal waved and smiled at me as she made her way towards me.

"How was work today?" I asked, the moment Krystal stood in front of me as I put on the helmet for her.

"Tiring. Unnie is so different at home and at work. She's more naggy and more serious in the office." Krystal pouted as I chuckled at her.

"Obviously she has to draw the line between personal and work. She's the Director and in front of everyone, you are one of her workers." I explained as Krystal slanted her eyes and glare at me. "Wae?"

"Are you like that at work too?" Krystal questioned me as I shrugged my shoulders and grinned at her before we rode off.

While waiting for our food to arrive, Krystal repeated her question again.

"I'm not sure how I am when I'm at work. You have to ask Sunny, Taeyeon or Yuri about that." I replied with a smile.

"How's Yuri-unnie coping on her first day? Which department is she going to?" Krystal asked, her tone of voice showing a little more concern than usual.

"Why does it seem like you're really concerned about Yuri?" I asked in a teasing way as Krystal pouted.

"She's going to be part of my family, my future sister-in-law. Of course I have to show concern. Stupid."

"Ahhh...." I nodded my head and grinned. "She's going to be part of the Department of Technical Support. They are in-charge of the conditions of our ships and the repair works. With her qualification, I gave her the position of a Technical Supervisor . She would be reporting to one of the Fleet Managers in the department."

"How many fleet managers do you have?" Krystal asked.

"Four. Each of the team will be taking care of 26 ships." I explained as I saw Krystal's eyes widened.

"That's like 104 vessels. How much does a vessel cost?" Krystal asked as I noticed her shocked expression when I told her that it's between $70million to $100million, depending on the size.

I had to stifle my laughter when the waiter arrived with our food but the moment he walked away, I laughed out loud. Krystal kicked my leg under the table as I grimaced in pain, asking her the reason for doing that.

"You laughed at me." Krystal glared as I explained that she looked really cute when she's shocked. "Of course I'm shocked. I know that you're rich but I didn't know that you're 'THAT' rich."

"Harabeoji is the one who is rich. I'm not." I said before Krystal informed me that it's a family wealth and that I would inherit it all since I'm the only descendent. "Omo.. I guess you are right. You are going to be married to a rich person."

Krystal rolled her eyes at me as I continued laughing when the realisation hit me. Calling me a dork and stupid, we ended up laughing at each other.

While we were having our ice-cream after our main course ended, I was reminded about the quarrel that me and Yuri had two days ago.

(Flashbacks)

"Didn't want to feel indebted or inferior to me. Is that what you are going to say?" I tried to guess but I was surprised when Yuri nodded her head to agree with my words. "Really? That's how you feel right now? I can't believe this."

Grabbing my keys, I walked out of the cafe towards my bike that was parked a distance away. As I put on my helmet and climbed my bike, I turned the key to start my engine when the roaring sound of the bike caused me to pause.

'If I was Yuri, would I have felt the same way?'

That thought came to mind as I let out a deep sigh. I was about to switch off my engine when I saw a convenience store across the street.

After buying an ice-cream for myself, I took a seat on the bench that was facing the street. From where I was seated, I could see the Twin Towers Cafe and I noticed that Sooyoung and Yoona were already seated at the table.

"They must be talking about what happened earlier. By now, Yuri must have started to feel guilty for her words." I mumbled to myself as I took a bite on my ice-cream which gave me a cooling effect. "But I was at fault too for not controlling my temper. If I was in Yuri's shoes, I would feel inferior too."

I sighed again and was lost in my thoughts before I accidentally looked up. At the same instance, I saw Yuri pushing the door of the cafe as she stared straight at me. I noticed Taeyeon bumping into her from behind as I waved at them while smirking.

The two of them crossed the street as I stood up but the moment Yuri was in front of me, both of us didn't say a word. We just glared at each other before Taeyeon grabbed my ice-cream and ate it all.

"YAH!!!" I reacted as Taeyeon looked at me innocently.

"Mwo? The ice-cream was melting. Since both of you are having fun glaring at each other, might as well I save the ice-cream before it's wasted." Taeyeon explained without any sense of guilt.

"Mianhae."

I heard Yuri said as I turned to face her. She was staring at the ground but she repeated what she said earlier.

"Mianhae. For saying those words to you. I didn't mean to hurt you in any way. I was just feeling down at the moment."

"And I'm sorry too for not being more understanding to your situation. I should have controlled my temper better." I said as Yuri looked up and both of us finally smiled at each other. "So we are good?"

"We are better than good." Yuri grinned as I showed her a thumbs up. "And I think I might want to take up your offer for that job but....."

"No buts, Yul. We'll be there for you. I promise." I intercepted her as Taeyeon nodded her head. "Look at Taeng. She's fitting in comfortably at her post as the Assistant Manager in the Advertising team. She said that the Manager is pretty."

"Yah!! I didn't say that. I said that she was easy-going and pleasant to look.... I mean work with.." Taeyeon blinked her eyes repeatedly as if she was trying to remember her words before me and Yuri ended up laughing at her.

(End of flashbacks)

"Yah, Stupid. Why are you grinning while staring at the ice-cream?"

Krystal's question brought my attention back to her as I told her that I was reminded of what happened between me and Yuri that night. 

"I hope that Yuri-unnie would gain back her confidence with regards to her interest in ships. I was really surprised when you told me that she majored in NAOE. Not many girls will actually take up this course. Which means that Yuri-unnie was really interested and very good in these things before she lost her confidence in herself." Krystal commented as I nodded my head.

"There was less than 10 girls in a cohort of around 200 plus students during her year. Even in my company, there's not many female workers in the Technical Support management. Hopefully, Yuri would be able to adapt well."

************************

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon. What the hell are you doing?" I shouted across the court as I saw Taeyeon trying to dance her way around Yuri and Sooyoung. "Aigoo, this shortie."

"Go away. I can't see the front with both of you blocking me." Taeyeon grumbled as Sooyoung and Yuri continued to by blocking her view. "Aisshh... Whatever."

Taeyeon slapped the ball to the floor and surprisingly, the ball went in between Sooyoung's leg and bounced off as I ran to catch it. Sooyoung was too shocked to react but Yuri was alert and tried to steal the ball away from me. From a distance, I shot the ball and scored a 3-pointer. Taeyeon ran towards me after she saw that the ball had went in.

"15-10."

Taeyeon shouted as I gave her a high-five. Yuri was grumbling towards Sooyoung who was trying to defend herself by saying that it was not her fault that the ball went in between her legs. From behind the glass door, I heard the girls laughing as I saw Yoona carrying a pot to the table.

"Are you done cooking, Yoongie?" I shouted as she nodded her head.

Sooyoung was the first one to ran out from the court towards the glass door with Yuri and Taeyeon following her. I laughed at their reaction as I grabbed my towel from the side. Our girlfriends were already seated at the table, along with Seohyun as they started to prepare our lunch.

It was a Saturday and all of us were gathered at the recreation part of Harabeoji's mansion. The girls were amazed to see a half-court along with a mini kitchen when they came down the stairs. When I showed them the basement, they were even more surprised.

studio-nigro-640x427-c.jpg Modern Basement Design Ideas Decobizz Within Practical Finished Basement Ideas

"Let's play pool after this. I don't think I can continue with basketball." Sooyoung said before she scooped up a mouthful of rice and the chicken stew cooked by Yoona, into .

"Eunjin-unnie, those guitars at the basement, does it belong to Harabeoji?" Seohyun asked.

"I think only one or two belongs to him. The rest belongs to my Appa." I explained before I continued by saying that this part of the house had not been in used since Appa left the mansion. "It's only recently after I came back from LA, did Harabeoji instruct the maids to clean this whole place."

"Seems like you and your Appa has a lot of common interest. Basketball, ice hockey, and playing guitar." Jessica commented and I was about to nod my head when Krystal intercepted.

"She's good-looking like her Appa too. I saw his photo before. Her Omma is sweet too. She has dimples on both sides while Eunjin only has one" Krystal elaborated as everyone's attention was on her.

"Seems like your sister is already acquainted with her future family-in-law, Jessi." Tiffany's comments caused Krystal to blush as she looked down and concentrated on her meal while the other girls giggled.

Footsteps were heard coming down the stairs as we all turned towards the same direction. One of the maids appeared along with Sunny and Chorong behind her. Both of them had the same speechless expression, just like how the other girls had when they arrived. After the maid went off, me and Seohyun offered the two girls our seats since we were done with lunch.

"Did Yoona cooked this?" Sunny asked as all of us nodded our heads. "No wonder it looked familiar."

The girls offered the remaining food to Sunny and Chorong before Sunny asked about Halmeoni and Harabeoji.

"Both of them went off for a short trip this morning. Most probably would be back by tomorrow evening. Which is why I asked all of you to spend the night here." I explained with a dorky smile.

"This house belongs to your grandparents?" Chorong looked at me as I nodded my head. "I didn't know you were from a super rich family."

"If you knew?" Sunny asked teasingly but she didn't expect the reply from Chorong which caused an awkward silence in the atmosphere.

"Then maybe I would have gone after her." Chorong answered with a straight face but when she noticed the silence, she quickly chuckled. "I was just joking."

She laughed as all of us decided to laugh along. Even Sunny who looked a little bitter, smiled and just nodded her head. Well, except for Krystal, who was staring hard at Chorong from the side. Trying to get out of that awkward situation, Yuir quickly suggested for us to go down to the basement to see a movie or play pool.

"There's an arcade machine and some workout equipment too." Taeyeon added on as I told them to go down first while I volunteered to clear the dishes. Sunny and Krystal volunteered to help me out but I told Krystal that Sunny alone would be enough. "We'll be quick. I'll see you in a while, okay."

Sunny's POV

I grabbed the dirty plates from the table and brought it to the sink while the other girls made their way down the stairs. I noticed Eunjin talking to Krystal who was pouting before the younger girl followed the rest.

"Gwenchana?"

I heard Eunjin's voice as she stood beside me and helped out with the washing. I nodded my head without facing her and continued in silence. Noticing that Eunjin was sighing, I stole a glance towards her.

"I'm really okay." I broke the silence but I knew that my voice didn't sound as convincing as it should be. "She said it was a joke."

"Do you believe her?" Eunjin asked as I let out a sigh.

"Do I have a choice? If I don't believe that it was a joke, what am I suppose to feel? Disappointed? Upset?" I shot questions after questions to Eunjin who then closed the running water before she turned to face me.

"I know that both of you are dating at the moment. She knows how you feel towards her but do you know how she feels about you? So far, I have yet to hear anything from you with regards to her feelings." Eunjin said before I suggested to her that we should quickly clear all the dishes before sitting down to talk.

10mins later, both of us were back at the table, facing each other as I tried to gather my thoughts. Eunjin was patiently waiting for me to start off as I took a deep breathe.

"Honestly, I was a little hurt with Chorong's words earlier. Even if she said that it was a joke, I kept feeling that she's saying it so because of the awkward atmosphere. It made me think if she's dating me because of money. Although I'm not as rich as you." I explained as I saw Eunjin frowning. "But she has never asked me for anything luxurious. As in when we go out together, she doesn't behave like a gold digger."

"I don't think she's like that too. But if you're willing to listen to my advice, it's best to talk it out. I know both of you are still not in a proper relationship yet but if this is a concern to you, it's better to straighten things out. You won't want to continue doubting her throughout the relationship, right?"

I nodded in agreement with Eunjin's words but I was worried on how I should even begin talking about it.

"What if she thinks that I'm trying to hint about her being a gold digger?" I asked as Eunjin broke into a smile.

"You've always been good with words and can always get away with that aegyo of yours. I don't think you will have a problem in straightening things out. That is why I put you in-charge of the new Department of Procurement." Eunjin's smile became wider as I finally nodded in confidence. "Speaking of work, where is Chorong working now after she left the workshop?"

"She's helping out her brother-in-law temporarily. He owns a logistic company." I replied before I broke into a smile. "Thanks. For talking to me about this."

Eunjin smiled and showed her palm as I gave her a high-five.

************************

Drying my hair as I walked out from the bedroom, I smiled when I saw Krystal on the bed, leaning against the wall while messaging someone on her phone. I walked across the room to the other side where the walk-in closet were and hung my towel. As I sat on the edge of the bed, Krystal showed the messages on her phone.

It seemed that some of the girls were complaining about the rooms that they were in as I chuckled while reading it all. My phone was charging so I didn't really looked at the group chat messages.

Both of us were currently inside Appa's old room. A room where he grew up in before he left the mansion. Aunt Nancy told me before that the room had gone through a few changes over the years as Appa grew up. From a young boy's room to the man he was. It had always been the same room. Aunt Nancy said that the maids had been diligently keeping the room clean even after Appa left.

(Imagine this is Eunjin's Appa room)

bed-black-chic-cosy-Favim.com-2261353.jpg

"Too bad for Taeyeon and Sooyoung. Anyway, it was decided by their own luck." I chuckled as I remembered what happened after dinner.

(Flashbacks a few hours ago)

"There's a total of 7 rooms upstairs. Two master bedrooms which belongs to my grandparents and my Appa. One study room and the rest are guests rooms. Me and Krystal will be using my Appa's room. Harabeoji's room is out of bound. So the rest of you will have to share the remaining 4 guests rooms. 2 of the rooms have queen-sized bed, one with two single beds and the last one has two bunk beds." I grinned dorkily when I saw the expression on their faces.  

Sooyoung, Yuri and Taeyeon started arguing about using the guest rooms with queen-sized bed so Seohyun came up with a good idea of playing the Korean ladder games. The ones participating will be Sunny, Taeyeon, Yuri and Sooyoung, They had agreed that whoever gets the bunk bedrooms will have Seohyun along with them.

When the results came out, Yuri and Sunny got the queen-sized bedrooms. Taeyeon got the two single beds room and Sooyoung with the bunk bed room. Everyone laughed when Yuri teased Sooyoung about having to take care of both her sisters.

(End of flashbacks)

"I really love the simplicity of your Appa's room." Krystal commented as a dorky grin appeared on my face.

"If you love it, we can have our room similar to this." I chuckled when I saw Krystal rolling her eyes at me before I caught her smirking.

Suddenly, I was pushed down onto my back as Krystal straddled on me. She leaned forward, placing both her hands on each side of my head. My eyes started blinking rapidly before I started to look away when I noticed that the first button on Krystal's pyjamas were ed. 

"Kry...Krys..Krystal... What are you doing?" I stammered my words as Krystal continued smirking. "We should get some sleep. It's getting late."

"But it's only 11pm. The night is still young, baby. By the way, am I not y enough to tempt you?"

My heartbeat was getting faster as I swallowed my saliva. Even though Krystal had slept over at my place a few times, we had never been intimate with each other. I even placed a bolster between us when we slept on the same bed. 

"You are.. very y... But... but I.... I'm feeling tired and a little sleepy." I tried to give an excuse as Krystal finally leaned up and started to laugh.

"You should have seen your expression. It was so cute. I didn't expect you to get so nervous like this." Krystal slapped my shoulder lightly before climbing off and settled beside me. "I didn't know you are so shy with skinship."

It was after she lied down beside me that I realised about the teasing as I tilted my head and looked at Krystal who was smiling sweetly at me. Squinting my eyes at her, I gritted my teeth and turned off the bed lights.