Chapter 9

Hard But Easy

"Hi girls." Amber smiled as she took a seat at the bench beside Luna with Krystal and Sulli sitting opposite of them. "How's everything?"

The girls started to chat among themselves, catching up on their studies and assignments. Luna, Sulli and Krystal were majoring in theatre & arts while Amber was majoring in sports studies.

"It was nice catching up with all of you but I need to make a move now." Amber stood up to excuse herself.

"You have classes?" Krystal asked as she took a glance at her watch which showed that it was almost 2pm.

"Nope. I'm taking part in a basketball match by an external organiser." Amber answered with a smile. "Do you guys want to watch it? It's just a few blocks away from campus."

"Is it starting already?" Sulli asked as she looked at the messy table.

"It'll start at 4pm. I need to meet up with my group members first for a warm-up practice. If you all want to watch the match, I can write down the address for you." Amber said as she saw Krystal nodding her head eagerly.

"We'll go if we have the time. Anyway, good luck to you and your team." Luna said as Amber said her thanks, wrote down the address and walked away after waving goodbye. "I assume we're done with our discussion on our assignments? Is that right, Krystal?"

Luna was looking at Krystal with a smirk while Sulli giggled at her sentence. Krystal meronged at her before she looked down on her papers as the girls continued their studies.

At 3.45pm, the 3 girls were seen making their way to the basketball court after Krystal parked her car just a distance away. They saw quite a lot of people walking around, some already seated at the benches while there were groups of people who were wearing similar basketball attires.

"Did you see Amber around?" Krystal asked as her eyes started to wander, looking for their friend among the sea of people.

"Not yet. But it seems like the competition has attracted quite a number of participants. I've seen about 5 different teams already." Luna said as she pointed to a few groups of people. "Oh! I think that's Amber."

Sulli and Krystal turned to look at where Luna was pointing and saw Amber, sitting at one of the benches. She was busy talking on the phone and was looking down that she didn't noticed the 3 girls walking up to her.

"Thank you so much, Unnie and I'm sorry for calling you up at the last minute. I hope you can make it in time but please ride safe." Amber said to someone on the phone before hanging up as she finally looked up and saw the girls. "Hey, you are here. Thanks for coming. By the way, does any of you play basketball?"

The 3 girls looked at each other before they shook their heads. Amber sighed as her shoulders slumped.

"One of my player is down with stomach flu. I did manage to call up another friend for a replacement but I'm not sure if she can make it in time since she's still at work. Hopefully, her boss is willing to let her go off early." Amber explained as she stood up and gestured for the 3 girls to sit down. "Anyway, the 3 of you can take a seat here. These two benches had been allocated for my team and our supporters."

"Will your team be able to play with that absence?" Krystal asked as Amber nodded her head.

"We do have enough player to play a match but it's better to have extra players just in case someone gets tired or injured during the game." Amber smiled as she heard one of her teammates calling her. "I think they are starting the briefing soon. Wish me luck."

The first match started exactly at 4pm as Amber sat beside Krystal and watched the game. Her team would be playing next as she kept glancing at her watch.

"Is your friend coming?" Krystal asked with a concerned tone while Amber just shrugged her shoulders. "But I think even if she doesn't, you'll do well. You're one of the top players in campus."

Krystal smiled as Amber said her thanks. Luna and Sulli also gave some encouragement to Amber and they were busy chatting to each other until they heard someone calling Amber's name.

************************

I glanced at my watch as I hung up the phone and bite my lips with a frown appearing on my face.

"What's wrong?"

Yuri suddenly appeared beside me and wriggled her eyebrow.

"Amber called and asked if I was free to help her out. She's taking part in a basketball competition but one of her team members is down with stomach flu. She's asking if I could stand in for her friend." I explained as Taeyeon heard our chat and walked up to us.

"But you're not a student there. How can you join her team?" Taeyeon asked as I informed that it was a competition by an external organiser.

"What time does it start? As in the match?" It was Yuri's turn to ask.

"The first match will start at 4pm. Amber's is the second one so around 4.45pm." I replied as the 3 of us automatically looked at the clock on the wall, showing that it was already 3.55pm.

"You should make a move soon if you want to reach in time. You can never anticipate the traffic." Taeyeon said as I told her that I've yet to ask for early release from Sunny since we would only finish work at 7pm.

"There's nothing much left to do at the workshop anyway. Just go ahead. We'll inform Sunny later once she's back from her meeting with the suppliers." Yuri said as she patted my back, gesturing me to take a shower and get ready.

Parking my bike at the roadside, I switched off my engine and carried my helmet along with me. It was already 4.40pm when I reached the location where Amber had texted me earlier. Making my way to the benches where I saw quite a large turnout, I looked around and saw someone familiar. The girl was always around when Amber invited me to play basketball with her. I walked up to the girl and asked for Amber's whereabouts.

"Hey Am." The girl shouted as I turned to the direction where the girl was looking at . "Eunjin's here."

I was about to smile when I froze upon seeing the girl that was seated beside Amber. 'How many times do I need to see her in a month?'

Amber waved at me and gestured me to come closer as I noticed the cold stare that Krystal was giving me. Her friends were smiling and bowing their heads at me as I greeted them.

"Hey.. Luna and Sulli, right?" I asked as they nodded their heads. "Nice to see you again."

I was about to say something to Krystal when Amber stood up and pulled me away. It seems that their match would be starting soon and she needed me to change into their team outfit.

"There's a toilet there. Change and don't forget to do some warm-up exercise too. Our match will start soon but take your time. At the moment, you won't be involve in the first quarter." Amber informed as I nodded my head.

Krystal's POV

'Why is she here? Is she stalking me?' I thought to myself as I watched Amber passing something to Eunjin.

"Hey, Krystal. Why are you frowning?" Sulli nudged my shoulders, causing me to breakaway from my observation. "Why are you staring at her back?"

Sulli pointed to Eunjin, who had walked away towards the toilet.

"Why is she here?" I asked to no one in particular as Luna and Sulli turned to face me.

"Why can't she be here?" Luna asked with a curious look. "I saw Amber giving her team outfit to Eunjin-unnie so I presume Amber was referring to her about replacing her sick teammate."

"It's not even a week since I last saw her." I mumbled to myself as I folded my arms across my chest.

"I didn't know she could play basketball though. And she rides too." Luna giggled as I asked her on how she knew about that. "Didn't you see the helmet that she was holding on to? It's obvious that she's a rider."

"I wonder how good she is but if Amber is the one who asked her to come over, she must be good." Sulli added on her own comments as I rolled my eyes at them.

"Just because she's holding on to a helmet, doesn't mean she's a rider. She could be just a pillion. And I don't think she's that good. Amber is the best out there."

My reply caused Sulli and Luna to look at me and frown. When I asked them about their expressions, I was taken aback by their remarks.

"Do you have something against Eunjin-unnie?" Luna asked.

"You sound like you hate her." Sulli's sentence caused me to blink a few times before I put on my expressionless face.

"Well, maybe I do. She made me lost a precious shirt because of her clumsiness. Stupid idiot." I answered as Sulli and Luna just shook their heads.

Half an hour later, I had every reason to dislike Eunjin even further. She proved me wrong about her abilities to play basketball. If I was to admit honestly, she was much better than Amber. Even Sulli and Luna seemed to be fangirling over her. I sighed for the umptenth time as I folded my arms across my chest once again.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.... Did you see that?" Sulli tapped my thigh furiously just at the same time as the crowd went wild. "She shot that from the centre of the court."

I had to suppress myself from having the same reactions as Sulli while I watched how Amber excitedly went up to hug Eunjin, who had just scored a long distance shot, giving Amber's team another 3-points.

"I have to agree with you, Krystal. She's not good. She's awesome." Luna smirked at me as I meronged at her.

Amber's team won the match easily thanks to Eunjin's contribution even though she only started playing in the 2nd quarter onwards. The two of them walked up to us with Amber grinning happily with her arm on Eunjin's shoulder while Eunjin seemed to look a little awkward as she kept bowing and saying her thanks when the crowd cheered her on.

Eunjin's POV

'Oh man, why is everyone getting so excited?' I blinked my eyes and smile a little as I said my thanks when I heard some of the people from the crowd telling me that I had done a good job. 'And please don't tell me that Krystal is going to stay throughout the whole competition?'

I had to follow Amber towards the 3 girls, two of them were smiling at me while the other one was glaring at me. 'As usual.' I thought to myself.

"Good job, Am. You too, Eunjin-unnie." Luna said as I nodded my head.

"Thanks. It's a team effort." I replied as I took my helmet which I had placed on the bench beside Luna before the match. "Hey, Am. I need to go and place my helmet on my bike first. I didn't manage to put it earlier since I was in a rush."

"You have a bike?" Sulli asked as I nodded my head again. "Cool. Krystal didn't believe that you're a rider and said that you're only a pillion."

Sulli's remark caused everyone to look at Krystal as she punched Sulli lightly at her shoulders.

"Yah, you don't have to say it out loud." Krystal said as she suddenly stood up and walked away, towards the toilet.

Luna, Sulli and Amber just giggled at Krystal's outburst as I excused myself to place my helmet on my bike.

"Hey."

I had just finished clipping my helmet to the side of my bike when I heard a voice behind me. Turning around, I saw Krystal looking at me with a blank look. I didn't know what to reply tp her so I just lifted up my hand slightly and smiled at her.

"How's your fever?" Her question caused me to frown a little as I replied her that I was fine. I was about to ask her on how she knew about it when she continued talking. "Don't bother replacing the shirt. You won't be able to do so, anyway."

"I know. Your sister had already explained it to me. But I'm sincerely sorry for what happened." I said as I stared into her eyes. "And I really didn't mean to embarrass you with my gestures on that day."

Krystal looked away and sighed before she nodded her head. "Sorry for slapping you. I was just surprised when you pointed it out."

"Just like how you were surprised when you heard the thunder, right?" I asked with a grin as Krystal rolled her eyes at me.

"Stupid."

I chuckled to myself as Krystal started to walk away before she stopped and turn around.

"You did great earlier. On the court."

************************

"YAH!!! Are you even listening?"

I was shocked when Yuri slapped my forehead, forcing me to look away from the view outside of the cafe.

"That hurts." I rubbed my forehead as the stinging pain started to simmer down. "You were talking to Taeyeon, right?"

"I was talking to the both of you." Yuri said as Taeyeon continued to laugh because of the slap that I had received from Yuri.

"Why does it seem that you're always being slapped by the people around you?" Taeyeon joked about it as I meronged at her.

"What are you daydreaming about anyway? I noticed that you've been looking outside since we arrived." Yuri asked.

"Halmeoni called me last night. She said that Harabeoji wants to meet me." I replied as I saw Yuri's eyes widened.

"Really?!!"

That voice wasn't from Yuri or Taeyeon. Instead, it was from Yoona who had appeared with a tray of drinks in her hand. Sooyoung, who was walking beside her, was also surprised with her reactions.

"Does you sister get surprised easily?" Sooyoung asked Yuri as she took a seat beside Taeyeon. "She was also surprised when she heard the thunder a few days ago. But too bad she's not like Krystal. If not, I can get a free hug too."

Yuri, Taeyeon and Sooyoung started to laugh as I pouted and looked down.

"Krystal? Free hug? What are you talking about? Are you cheating behind my back, Choi Sooyoung?" Yoona asked as she pulled Sooyoung's ears.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch." Sooyoung exclaimed before she started rubbing her ears after Yoona let it go and sat beside her sister. "Krystal. Jessica's sister. The one that Eunjin barged into that day."

"Sica-unnie's sister?" Yoona paused for a while before nodding her head when she remembered. "Sica-unnie keep saying that I reminded her of her sister."

"Keep saying? I thought you've only met her once. Or was it twice?" Yuri scratched her chin and tiilted her head to think.

"She's been coming here at least once a week, either for lunch or dinner for the past one month. So I've obviously seen her more than once." Yoona explained as it was Yuri's turn to look surprised.

"Once a week? Alone or with Tiffany? Or was she with some other guys?" Yuri started to throw questions at her sister who smirked at Yuri's behaviour.

"Why do you sound eager to know about that? It's none of your concern with whom she's here with." Yoona replied as Yuri pouted. "Unless you're interested in Jes ...."

"A.. An.. Anni.." Yuri stammered as she intercepted Yoona's sentence. "By the way, why does Harabeoji wants to meet you?"

I was confused for a minute when Yuri suddenly diverted the attention to me. I arched my eyebrow at her, knowing fully well that Yuri had changed the topic on purpose.

"I'm not sure actually. Halmeoni didn't want to explain much through the phone. She just told me to come over whenever I'm free." I replied before leaning back into the chair. "Thinking about it, is giving me unnecessary stress."

"By the way, have you thought it through, Yul? About what I said that day. With regards to Jessica." Sooyoung's question brought the attention back to Yuri but before Yuri could reply, Yoona intercepted to ask about it since she was not aware about the question.

Sooyoung took the time to narrate about what happened after me, Yuri and Taeyeon had went to visit Jessica in her office. Yoona continued nodding her head as she listened to her girlfriend's story until the part where she heard about Yuri's answer to Sooyoung.

"You're not sure?" Yoona asked her sister. "Seriously?"

Taeyeon and I almost laughed when we saw Yuri's clueless face while looking at Yoona's fierce expression.

"After all these years. After dating so many girls. After all that flirting. You are not even sure what you feel about Sica-unnie?" Yoona looked a little disappointed as she sighed.

"I.. I.. I mean.. She's.. cold towards me. She looks as if she hates me." Yuri answered with a sad look.

"You've got a reputation, Yul. As a player. There's bound to be girls like Jessica who doesn't like that image of yours." Taeyeon tried to reason things out. "But honestly, I was shocked when I saw you staring straight into her eyes and calmly explain things to her at her office that day. I almost died when I saw her glaring at Eunjin after pulling her collar."

"That's right. I was so glad you were around at that time, Yul." I said as I patted Yuri's back. "But I noticed her grip on my collar was loosened after you called her 'Sica'. Do you think she's affected by you using that name on her?"

No one said anything as everyone was lost in their own thoughts. The cafe was already closed for business about 30mins ago. Since Taeyeon, Yuri and I had no plans for the night, we decided to hang out at Sooyoung's cafe. We were supposed to relax and chill after a hard day at work but it seemed that it was going the opposite of what we expected.

"It was because of her that I stopped believing in love." Yuri was the one who broke the silence as all the eyes were focused on her. "The person who taught me about love was also the same person who broke my heart."

"Are you talking about the girl whose name we shouldn't mention?" Taeyeon tried to lighten the atmosphere as Yuri smiled a little while nodding her head.

"She was my senior when we were in the University. I think Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Sunny would remember her. Mr Park's daughter." Yuri said as Taeyeon and Sooyoung looked at each other.

"You mean the Kahi-unnie that Seohyun mentioned before was Park Kahi from our school?" Sooyoung asked as Yuri nodded her head.

"You were in a relationship with her? I thought she was already in an arranged marriage?" Taeyeon had a disbelief look on her face.

"She told me that she didn't love him and I believed her since it was an arranged marriage." Yuri replied.

"Wait. Who is Mr Park and who is Park Kahi?" I asked.

"Mr Park was the dean at our University. He was known to be a very strict person. So nobody actually dared to get close to her daughter because of him. Which is why I'm surprise as to how Yul manage to do so." Taeyeon explained. "Park Kahi is one of our senior in school. Two years older than us. Very pretty, with a lot of admirers."

"So how come nobody knows that you and her are together? Not even Taeyeon or Sooyoung." I continued to ask.

"That person requested for Unnie to keep their relationship undercover. So nobody knows about it and my stupid sister can actually believe her when in actual fact, Unnie was being used by her." Yoona's tone of voice sounded a little angry as she hugged Yuri by the waist. "My poor Yul-unnie."

"How did she make use of you?" I turned to face Yuri, my voice a little more firm than before. Thinking of someone making a fool out of Yuri didn't really sits well with me.

"She and her friends were betting against each other on who would be able to seduce a younger student. They were a group of wealthy kids with nothing better to do. They wanted to prove that even though they are older, they can still seduce someone younger. The winner will get to have some privileges to some clubs or something like that." Yuri explained. "Kahi didn't want to lose out to her friends even though she's already in an arranged marriage. So to be on a safe side, she choose to seduce a girl so that her future husband and her father won't find out."

"She seduce you, ask you to keep it a secret, make use of you for the bet and eventually left you to be married to the guy that her parents had arranged for." Taeyeon said as Yuri sighed and nodded her head slowly. "How long were the both of you actually together? Didn't you suspect anything along the way?"

"About 4 months. I did. We even quarrelled a few times but every time, I would give in to her. She was my first girlfriend. I thought it was about give and take. She said she wanted to keep it a secret because of her father's reputation. She said she felt happier with me compared to when she goes out with her future husband." Yuri continued explaining.

"What?! She still goes out to meet that guy even when she's in a relationship with you?" Sooyoung's eyes almost bulged out in anger.

"Technically, Yul-unnie is not in a relationship with her. In Kahi-unnie's mind, Yul-unnie was just part of a bet." Yoona's words caused Yuri to bite her lips.

"But what actually turn you into a player? I mean I understand that she cheated you of your feelings but I think you're better off without her." I said as Yuri suddenly glared at me.

"It's because of what she said to me on the day that we broke off. She said I was poor with nothing to offer and I should be thankful that someone like her would even want to go out with me. She said I was naive, inexperience and there's no way other girls would even want to date me." Yuri slammed her palm on the table before she fisted her hand. "I prove her wrong. After she left me, I made a promise to myself that nobody can ever look down on me ever again."

"So you became a player and started to date a lot of girls, just to show to her that you're not what she said of you?" I asked as Yuri nodded her head, 

"I even dated some of her friends who were part of the bet and left them after a few dates." Yuri said with a smirk but her eyes showed that she wasn't even proud of what she did. "And I continued dating many other girls until now."

"Are you happy? With what you're doing?" I looked straight into Yuri's eyes, trying to make sure that she would give me an honest answer.

"It was fun and interesting in the beginning, meeting someone new. The flirting and teasing." Yuri answered before taking a deep breathe. "But then, I saw her. Jessica. It was totally different . I felt like I had no control over what I was thinking and feeling. It's like she came, smacked right into my head and I can't take her out from my mind."

"Maybe that's because she's precious to you. Your first love." I said as Sooyoung, Yoona and Taeyeon nodded their heads in agreement.