Chapter 8

Hard But Easy

Krystal's POV

"Oh my god, what's wrong with this car?" I mumbled to myself when the car which Unnie had given to me just 2 days ago, suddenly died while I was driving.

I tried to start the engine again but there was no reponse to it.

"Unnie should have just sold this car instead of giving it to me for passing my driving test last week." I continued to nag while I unfasten my seat belt and pressed the button to open the car hood. Looking up to the sky, I noticed the presence of dark clouds as I closed my eyes and clasped my hands together.

"Please don't rain now. Please rain after my car is fine. Please, please, please."

After I was done praying, I quickly walked to the front of the car and lifted up the hood. Looking at the car engine, I frowned.

"Where is the problem? Everything seems fine though." I continued frowning as I started to touch here and there at the engine parts.

"Hi, do you need any help?"

I heard someone's voice from the back and sighed in relief since I knew that I won't be stuck at the roadside for long.

"Yes. I'm not sure...." I quickly answered before I turned around but I was surprised when I saw the familiar face. "You!!!"

The person must have been shocked when I gasped out loud and pointed a finger at her as her tone of voice changed a little.

"Hi. I didn't expect it was you." She answered nervously and even tried to smile a little at me.

"I don't need your help." I answered her before turning back to face the engine.

I heard her sighing and from the corner of my eyes, I saw her turning around to walk away. Just at that moment, the loud cracking sound of the thunder had shocked me so suddenly that I was not aware of my reactions as I closed my eyes.

"Krystal?"

I heard her voice calling my name so I slowly opened one of my eyes. Before I could even realise the position that we were in, raindrops started to fall on us and it was getting heavier. That was when I felt the pull of my hand as I was lead back into the car. As the car door closed, I just observed how she stood outside in the rain before she walked away and disappeared.

'Did I really hug her just now?' I thought to myself as I bite my lips when I felt my cheeks becoming warmer. 'Stupid thunder. Giving me a shock that caused me to end up hugging her. But did she really just walk away?'

I tried to look out but my view was blocked from the hood that was still up. I was still busy looking around when I saw her walking up to my car door. Knocking on my window, I pressed a button to bring down the window slightly.

"I'm going to take a look at your car. I need you to try and start the engine for me when I show you the thumbs up, okay." She said through the small gap of the car window.

I nodded my head as she walked away again, carrying something that looked like a toolbox. I noticed that her clothes were totally drenched since the rain was quite heavy. She was gone for a while before I saw her head reappeared from the side of the car engine. Giving me a thumbs up, I started the engine but once again it was the same results. Seeing her gesture of asking me to stop, I switched off the engine. I wanted to just wait in the car but something in my heart told me otherwise.

Eunjin's POV

"I shouldn't have stop earlier. Why didn't I recognise this car just now? I should have known that it's Jessica's car which means her sister is driving it since she had bought a new one. I should have suggested to Jessica to just sell off this car."" I mumbled to myself as I continued to look around to find the problem after Krystal didn't managed to restart the engine. "And does it really have to rain so heavily know? I'm totally drenched right through my underwear."

I sighed as I wiped away the raindrops from my forehead so that my vision won't be so blurred. Suddenly, I didn't feel anymore raindrops on my head as I looked up and saw an umbrella over my head. Turning to my side, I was surprised when Krystal was the one holding on to it but there was stll a cold glare on her face.

"Do you even know what you're doing?" She asked with a blank expression even though her tone of voice was not as cold as before.

"I'm a mechanic. My tow truck is there." I pointed out to the vehicle that was parked a few metres ahead. "But then, I don't seem to see any problem with the engine. Do you mind if I take a look inside your car?"

Krystal shrugged her shoulders as she just followed me, all along sheltering me from the rain with the umbrella. I took a peek at the car's dashboard and realised what was the problem. Turning to face her, I smiled a little.

"I think I know what's the problem now. Can you wait for me in the car while I go and take something from my truck?" I said as she nodded her head once again.

Handing the umbrella over to me, I made sure that she was shielded from the rain until she was safely inside the car. I wanted her to take back the umbrella but she insisted that I used it first so I made my way back to the truck and grabbed something.

Once I was done with whatever that I need to do, I closed the car hood and gestured to her to switch on her engine. That was when I saw her smile the moment the car engine was revived. I walked up to her to hand over the umbrella as she unwinded the car window since it was shielded by the umbrella.

"What was wrong with it?" She asked, looking at me straight in the eye as I smiled.

"Your car needs this actually." I lifted up the petrol bottle that I had taken from my truck earlier. "But I don't think it's enough so I suggest you proceed to the nearest gas station to fill it up."

I could almost see the blush in her cheeks when Krystal realised that the car had stopped because it was out of fuel. When I saw the dashboard earlier, the first thing I saw was the empty fuel tank.

"Hhmmm.. Thanks... For the help." She said with her eyes focused on the steering wheel. "Just take the umbrella. It's still raining. I have another one with me."

"My pleasure. And thanks for the umbrella. Drive safely." I answered as I stepped back a little to allow her  to maneuver her car back to the main road.

As I watched her car sped off, I recalled back the smile that I saw earlier and smiled to myself at that memory.

'You look more beautiful when you smile.'

************************

"Yah!! Can the both of you hurry up? Palli!!" I shouted towards our locker room as Sunny just laughed at me. 

I was already done with warming up my bike while Sunny was seated at the couch, waiting to close up the workshop. Taeyeon, Yuri and me were supposed to make our way to Jessica's office and reach there by 4pm. But now, It was already 3.45pm. We were suppose to visit Jessica's office two days ago but I was down with high fever and had to report sick from work. I was lucky that Sunny had to attend her family monthly dinner gathering so the workshop would be close early for today.

"Why are they taking their own sweet time? We're already late." I continued to mumble.

"Did you make an appointment with Jessica?" Sunny asked as I shook my head. "Then why are you in a rush? It's not as if Jessica is waiting for you."

"I'm scared she'll be off from work if we're late. We can never predict the traffic, nowadays." I answered as I saw Taeyeon and Yuri walking out from the locker room, looking all smart and smelling nice. "What the hell? Why are you both dressed up so nice? You both even bathed when you don't do so usually after work."

Taeyeon and Yuri turned to look at each other before breaking out into a smile and giving a high-five. Both of them meronged at me and made their way to their own cars.

"Maybe Taeyeon is planning to go on a date with Tiffany after that. For Yuri, well... She's always on a date." Sunny said as she stood up and quickly gestured to us to move off.

We reached Jessica's office at around 4.30pm as we made our way to the information counter. We requested to meet with Jessica which the receptionist seemed to look surprise. She told us to wait for a while as she tried to contact Jessica's personal assistant. We took the time to look around the building and admired the sophisticated interior design.

"Jessica's got a good taste." Taeyeon said as me and Yuri nodded our heads. "Hopefully, she's got a good taste in choosing her future partner too. Unlike someone I know."

Yuri immediately turned to look at Taeyeon who had a mischievious grin on her face. Sensing that Taeyeon was hinting on her, she grabbed Taeyeon by giving her a headlock. Both of them started to tussle each other until the receptionist called out to us.

"I'm sorry but Ms Jung's PA said that her boss had instructed her that there should be no more guests after 4pm. You will have to arrange for another appointment with Ms Jung if you want to see her but her PA said that her schedule is full until end of the month. So the next available slot will be next month." The receptionist politely explained.

"Next month? But I can't wait until next month. I've not been sleeping properly for the past one week because of the guilt. And even when I met her again yesterday, I still felt so bad about what happened that day." I started to mumble on as Taeyeon and Yuri looked at me with confusions. "Jessica is still in the office, right? Just tell her to give me 10mins.. maybe just 5. I just need to ask her one question."

"I'm sorry. But instructions had already been given. No guests after 4pm." The receptionist replied.

"You met her sister again yesterday?" Yuri asked me as I sighed and nodded my head.

"You didn't tell us about that." Taeyeon added on as I looked at the both of them.

"Do you really think that is very important right now?" I looked at the both of them. "I need to know where to get that shirt. I couldn't find it anywhere and Jessica is the only one who can help me. If only both of you didn't take so long to get ready just now."

"There was only one shower room." Taeyeon replied.

"We have to take turns. Unless you want both of us to...." Yuri pointed to herself and then to Taeyeon as the 3 of us looked at each other before we immediately shook our heads.

"Taetae? What are you doing here? Yuri? Eunjin?" 

We turned to where the voice was coming from and was relieved to see Tiffany walking towards us. She was carrying a big parcel and Taeyeon immediately went to her to take it away.

"I'll help you to carry." Taeyeon said with her normal dorky smile.

"Thank you, Taetae. That's so sweet of you. But it's quite heavy. Are you sure you can manage?" Tiffany asked with a slight frown as Taeyeon continued to smile while nodding her head. "Why are the 3 of you here, anyway?"

"We need to look for Jessica. There's an urgent matter that I need to check with her." I quickly answered while trying to surpress my laughter when I saw that Taeyeon was actually struggling with the parcel.

Yuri must have noticed it too since she suddenly covered and then pretended to look at the ceiling while rubbing her neck.

"Jessica? She should still be upstairs. I'll bring you guys to her." Tiffany smiled as she walked to the receptionist to talk to her for a while. Maybe for security clearance.

"Psssttt... Can either of you help me with this?" Taeyeon stood between us and whispered as she stole glances at Tiffany. "It's freaking heavy."

Yuri and I looked at each other and pretended not to hear her request as we walked towards Tiffany who had managed to get the visitor's passes for us.

10mins later, we were ushered into Jessica's office as the girl looked at us with the same cold stare that has became so familiar to me.

'Does that stare runs in the family?' I thought to myself as Tiffany gestured us to come nearer to Jessica's desk

"Tiff said that you wanted to see me. With regards to?" Jessica looked at us before Yuri nudged my shoulders.

I took out the stained shirt from my backpack and showed it to Jessica. "May I know where I can get a replacement for this?"

Jessica's eyes widened when she saw the shirt as she stood up instantly and grabbed my collar from across the desk."That's Soojungie's. Where did you get that and what have you done to my sister?"

If looks could kill, I would have been dead by now as I gulped down my salive and trembled a little when I saw the glare in Jessica's eyes. 

"I... Your sister.. She..." 

"She accidentally barged into your sister and spilled the ice cappucino that your sister was carrying onto her shirt last week. She's here to ask if there's any way she could find a replacement for that shirt."

Everyone turned to look at Yuri, who was calmly looking straight into Jessica's eyes while she explained what really happened to the shirt on my behalf.

"It's not Eunjin's fault actually. She had stopped to save your sister from falling down but I continued to walk into her, causing the whole thing to happen. Eunjin has been feeling bad about damaging the shirt so we hope you could help her out, Sica." Yuri ended her words as I noticed the lossen grip on my collar the moment Yuri called her by that name.

"Wha.. What.. did you just call me?" Jessica's voice was nervous initially before she glared back at Yuri. "Who said.. you.. you.. can call me by that name?"

Yuri was about to say something when Taeyeon interrupted her.

"Can we just get back to the main point as to why we're here?"

************************

Sooyoung pulled the chair as she took a seat at the table where 3 gloomy-faced girls were seated. She looked at each of them before shaking her head. "What's with the lifeless expression?"

Taeyeon, Yuri and I turned to look at Sooyoung and sighed at the same time.

"There's no replacement for the shirt." I answered.

"She hates me." Yuri gave her answer too.

"I'm just blending in with them." Taeyeon's answer, caused all 3 of us to look at her as she maintained her poker face before it changed when Yuri strangled her lightly. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be joking around."

Sooyoung and I shook our heads as Yuri released her hands from Taeyeon's neck. Sooyoung then pointed to me and asked me to explain about the shirt.

"Jessica said that she had that shirt personalised for Krystal's birthday. The emblem on the shirt was designed by her friend which was the combination of their initials. J&K. Which is why I couldn't find it anywhere. It's the only piece." I sighed when I remembered about what Jessica had informed when we were at her office 3hrs ago. 

"Jessica should have the contact details of her designer friend, right? Ask her to design it again then." Sooyoung suggested as I shook my head.

"Her friend went back to San Francisco about 3yrs ago and she had lost contact with that friend of hers." I explained to Sooyoung.

"Then what about you? Who hates you?" Sooyoung's attention turned to Yuri who then mouthed the word 'Jessica'. "Jessica hates you? Why? What have you done to her? From what Yoona told me, she was your first love, right?"

Yuri nodded her head as she explained how Jessica didn't seemed happy when she called her by the shorter name. Yuri also commented that Jessica was extremely cold towards her compared when talking to Taeyeon or Eunjin.

"Tiffany and Taeyeon has something going on so maybe that's why she's nice to Taeyeon since Tiffany is her good friend. For Eunjin's case, I think Jessica likes her." Yuri ended her remarks as I frowned.

"She doesn't like me. Trust me. She thinks that love is a hassle." I replied as Yuri had a disbelief look.

"Do you think something happened to her before? There must be a reason as to why she thinks that way. Maybe she had a bad experience just like Yul." Taeyeon pointed her finger at Yuri. "You still haven't tell us about that person. She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named." Taeyeon ended her sentence while making some funny voices as she quoted a line from her favourite movie, Harry Porter.

Her actions finally caused the rest of us to laugh before it slowly quietened down.

"Okay. Yuri's problem first." Sooyoung said as she shifted her position so that she could face Yuri properly. "You said that Jessica is your first love. So I want to know if your feelings for her has changed over the years?"

"But she hates me." Yuri answered while Sooyoung shook her finger at Yuri.

"I'm asking about your feelings. It doesn't matter if she hates you or not. Which in this case is still not confirmed yet. I want to know about your feelings. So?" Sooyoung asked again as Yuri bite her lips and paused for a while.

"I... I'm.. not sure." Yuri  answered as Sooyoung suddenly clapped her hands.

"That answer will do. Don't you realise it? Everytime we talk about feelings or love, you will always say that it's a hassle or just totally shove the topic aside. But this time round, you actually thought about it and is not even sure. You need to think thoroughly about this, Yul." Sooyoung's words made me and Taeyeon nodded our heads in agreement.

"And you, my friend. What's with your obessesion with that shirt? It's already stained and spoiled. Yoona already gave her another shirt as a replacement on that day itself. So?" Sooyoung turned her body towards me as I was stunned with the sudden change of attention on me.

"I... I... I felt bad. I mean she seems really angry with the whole incident even though I had apologised. Even yesterday, she would have rejected my help if not because of the rain." I replied.

"Yesterday? What happened yesterday?" Sooyoung asked as Taeyeon and Yuri also urged me to share since they were not aware of it.

I took a deep breathe and started narrating about what happened yesterday when I found Krystal by the roadside until the part where she drove off.

"She hugged you?" Yuri was the first one to ask.

"She sheltered you from the rain?" Sooyoung added on.

"She drove with an almost empty tank?"

The last question from Taeyeon brought a grin to my face as I remembered how Krystal had blushed when she realised her mistake. I let out a small chuckle when I was also reminded of the smile that Krystal had on her face when she managed to start the engine again.

"Yah, yah, yah!! Why are grinning and chuckling to yourself?" Yuri asked as she knocked on the table to grab my attention. "That reaction reminds me of someone."

Yuri and Sooyoung then turned to face Taeyeon, who looked like a lost kid, before she gave us a silly grin.

"What's with you and this girl, anyway?" Sooyoung turned back to face me as her fingers started to move around my face, causing my eyes to follow it around.

"There's nothing between us." I slapped her fingers away while Sooyoung smirked.

"But she hugged you." Yuri repeated her sentence as I explained that it could be due to the shock from the thunder.

"Is that why you were down with high fever for the past two days?" Taeyeon asked as I shrugged my shoulders. "It must be because of that day. You were practically drenched when you came back to the workshop with the tow truck. You said that you got caught in the rain and I wanted to ask you further but it slipped my mind."

"Stop mulling over that shirt, Eunjin. Krystal is not after you for the replacement. Maybe she herself knew that it was not possible to get one." Sooyoung gave her opinion as I nodded my head.

************************

"She went to see you?" Krystal asked as Jessica nodded her head. "Stupid. There's no way she can replace it."

"I can see that she was sincere to replace it for you. She said she felt bad for damaging your shirt." Tiffany ended on. "Taetae told me that they were suppose to come to see Jessi two days earlier but Eunjin fell sick so it was postponed to yesterday."

It was the weekends and as usual, Krystal would look for her sister to stay the night at Jessica's apartment before returning to the dorm on either Sunday night or Monday morning.

"She was sick?" Krystal looked to Tiffany who added on that Eunjin was down with high fever. "High fever? Was it because of the rain?"

'What rain?"

Even though Krystal had mumbled her last sentence but her sister had heard and questioned Krystal about it so she had to narrate the whole incident. But Krystal skipped the part where she had accidentally hugged Eunjin and also the part where she had shelterd Eunjin with the umbrella. She only mentioned that she had given Eunjin the umbrella after she noticed that the girl was drenched.

"Pabo-yah. Why didn't you check the fuel level before you drive?" Jessica knocked Krystal's head lightly with her knuckles. "You were lucky Eunjin was there to help. If not, you'll be stuck by the roadside in the rain.

"Poor Eunjin. She must have been totally soaked if she was to end up with high fever. She even saved you in front of the cafe that day, although she ended up damaging your favourite shirt." Tiffany continued her comments.

"It was not entirely her fault. Kwon Yuri barged into Eunjin and caused her to shove into Krystal." Jessica bite her lips when she was talking about Yuri.

"Kwon Yuri? Isn't that the name of your first crush in high school? The one that you like because she was humble even though she was popular in school. The one you called a hero for protecting you against the bullies." Krystal said as Jessica tried to cover from talking any further but failed. "Is she the same person that we had talked about before? The one that had accompanied both of you to the car showroom and also the sister of the owner of Twin Towers."

"I think it's the same person." Tiffany giggled and smirked at Jessica who was glaring at her. "Even though I didn't know that Jessi had such opinions on Yul before. Like I said, she's really a nice person once you get to know her better."

"But she has changed a lot and I no longer have a crush on a player like her." Jessica replied as Tiffany shook her head.

"People can change, Jessi. To become worse or to be better." Tiffany answered her friend.