Chapter 14

Hard But Easy

"So any preference of where you want to eat?" Amber asked the moment the car stopped at the traffic light just outside of their campus.

Krystal shook her head and just smiled before she turned to look outside of the window as silence filled the air.

"I was thinking of maybe getting something light for lunch, watch a movie and then dinner. What do you think?" Amber's suggestion was met with a nod by Krystal.

"I'm fine with anything."

Amber had asked Krystal if she was free that Saturday, just a few days after she had confessed about wanting to get to know Krystal better. Krystal agreed to meet up but Amber would have to send her back to her sister's apartment since she would be staying the night.

"Do you always sleep over at your Unnie's place during the weekends?" Amber asked, trying to find ways to create a conversation.

"Most of the time, yes. Unless I have urgent assignments that need to be done, then I would stay at the dorm." 

"I thought you used to go back to your parents house?" 

"It's only starting from this year that I would return to Unnie's place. Appa had his company set up in San Francisco early this year so my parents will be there most of the time to monitor the business. Which is why I've only got Unnie's place to return to." Krystal answered in detail.

"So I guess you would be staying at your Unnie's place during the winter break next month?" Amber asked as Krystal nodded her head.

Amber was running out of ideas of what to converse since Krystal would just answer whatever she was asked without trying to prolong the conversation. Both of them remained quiet as Amber sighed and focused on the road instead.

Krystal's POV

'Why does it feel so awkward? Maybe I'm just being nervous since it's our first date. Oh my god. First date.'

I turned to face the window to hide the smile that had appeared on my face since I didn't want Amber to see it. I noticed that Amber kept giving me questions which I answered accordingly until silence creeped in again between us. Then I noticed her sighing.

'Am I boring her out? But I really don't know what else to talk about. It's not that I'm not interested to know more about her. It's just my nature not to talk a lot.'

"I'm sorry. I don't really talk that much." I suddenly felt guilty towards Amber. "You must be feeling bored around me since you were sighing just now."

"It's okay. We've been friends for the past 3yrs, of course I knew that you're not a talker. Don't worry and don't be nervous. I can do all the talking and I have no problem if you'll answer me with just gestures. I'm fine with that as long as you don't ignore me." Amber grinned dorkily, causing me to giggle a little.

"It's the first time that we go out, just the two of us. Maybe I'm still not used to it." I tried to reason things out as Amber nodded her head.

"It's a date so obviously, there's just going to be the two of us." Amber smiled again. "Well, we've reached the mall. Let's go and grab our light lunch."

Amber's POV

'She's really not much of a talker. I should have expected it, since even when Sulli and Luna were around, she doesn't talk much. But this is really not as easy as I thought it'll be. If Ailee was around, she would be the one talking all the way. Teasing and making me laugh with her dorkiness.'

I frowned a little and sighed. 'Why am I comparing Krystal with Ailee?'

"I'm sorry. I don't really talk much. You must be feeling bored around me since you were sighing just now."

I heard Krystal suddenly apologising as I quickly explained to her that I was fine with her not talking much. I couldn't bring myself to inform her that my sighing had nothing to do with her since I was thinking of Ailee.

************************

"Thanks for today. I really enjoyed myself." Krystal smiled sincerely at Amber who kept grinning and nodding her head.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. So....?" Amber paused and started to scratch the back of her neck. "Will I have the chance to go on a second date with you?"

Krystal looked down to hide her blush before Amber held her chin to lift up her head. As their eyes met, Amber smiled while Krystal nodded her head.

"Take care then and send my regards to your sister. I'll keep you updated about our next date." Amber said and waved goodbye to Krystal before walking back to her car that was parked by the side of the road.

Krystal waited until Amber's car drove off before she turned around to make her way to Jessica's apartment.

"Yah, Jung Jessica. I really need your help."

That was the first thing that Krystal heard, the moment she stepped inside her sister's apartment. Making her way past the living room after taking off her sneakers, she headed towards her sister's room which she had a feeling that both Tiffany and Jessica would be in. True enough, she saw her sister sprawled on her king-size bed while Tiffany was standing near the closet with both her hands on her hips. Krystal tilted her head in since the door was already opened as Tiffany noticed her.

"Krystal!! You're back. Good, good. I need your help too." Tiffany gestured to the confused looking girl to come in and signalled her to take a seat at the edge of the bed. Jessica was still lying around with a 'can't-be-bothered' look. "Okay, Krystal. Do you think this dress looks good or this dress?"

Krystal looked from the left dress to the right dress that was hung at the closet door behind Tiffany before looking up with a blank expression. She turned to her sister, who was now lying on her sides and frowned.

"Unnie, what's going on?" Krystal asked as she laid down on the bed, just beside her sister.

"She's going out tomorrow with that midget." Jessica asked as Tiffany threw her wet towel, which was around her neck, at her friend.

"Yah!! How can you call her that? She's cute." Tiffany pouted as Jessica sat up because of the wet towel and threw it back to Tiffany.

"What's so different about tomorrow? I thought you're always going on dates with Taeyeon-unnie?" Krystal asked as she sat up too.

"It's different. Even though she didn't say it out, but I can sense it by the way she asked me two days ago." Tiffany had a bright smile on her face, along with her famous eyesmile. "She was extra nervous and was stuttering a little."

"You mean Taeyeon-unnie is planning to confess to you?" Krystal asked as Tifany nodded her head excitedly. 

"Maybe she's just nervous around you. I thought you said that Taeyeon was always awkward and shy when both of you go out together?" Jessica asked as Tiffany shook her head.

"That was only during the first 3 dates. After that, she showed her trueself. The dorky and cool side of her. She's really cute even though she hates it if I said it out loud at her." Tiffany smiled again.

"Is it normal to feel awkward on the first date?" Krystal's question grabbed the attention of both older girls as they turned to face her.

""Why are you asking?" Jessica frowned as she turned to look at the clock in her room. "Come to think of it, why were you late today? You would usually be here by afternoon but it's almost coming to 10pm now."

"I can't believe your sister only realise what is the time now." Tiffany rolled her eyes at Jessica who was still looking at Krystal.

"I went out with Amber." Krystal replied.

"Along with your friends?" Jessica asked as Krystal shook her head. "Just the two of you?"

The surprised look on Jessica's face didn't deterred Tifany from being excited about the new found info. She ran up to Krystal and jumped onto the bed, almost knocking into Jessica.

"You were on a date?" Tiffany's high-pitched voice really showed her excitement. "How was it? How was it? How was it?"

Krystal blinked her eyes a few times before she started narrating everything, from the time Amber asked her out until she sent her home. When she finished talking, both Jessica and Tiffany had frowns on their faces as if they were in deep thoughts.

"So, did you enjoy yourself?" Tiffany was the first one to break the silence as Krystal paused for a while before nodding her head.

"She didn't feel anything special, though." Jessica gave her opinion as both Tiffany and Krystal looked at her. "She paused before answering your question which means she had to really think about it."

"Maybe because it's the first time that I'm going out with her, just the two of us." Krystal tried to reason out her awkwardness towards Amber.

"Yes. That might be true. It's only their first time. Taetae was like that too. She was awkward and shy around me during our first date." Tiffany elaborated on her experience.

"But Taeyeon showed excitement through her eyes and gestures, right? That was what you told me before. You saw from Taeyeon's eyes, her eagerness throughout the date. But Krystal..." Jessica paused and pointed at her sister. "Even the way she was telling us the story earlier, don't you feel like it was lacklustre?"

Tiffany nodded her head instantly while Krystal sighed.

"I feel bad towards Amber. I think I made her bored throughout the date since I didn't really talk much. But she did ask if I would like to go on a second date with her which I had accepted." Krystal was surprised when Jessica knocked her head lightly.

"Yah!! Why would you agree? You should have just rejected her. What if you made her bored again?" Jessica nagged at her little sister.

"I think she didn't have the heart to reject her since Amber seems sincere about wanting to know her better." Tiffany defended Krystal's action as the younger girl nodded her head in agreement. "Maybe things will improve after the second date since you did admit that you have a crush on Amber since 3yrs ago."

"I guess so." Krystal answered but her voice was full of uncertainty.

"Since that's settled, back to my problem. So which dress should I wear?" Tiffany asked as she pointed to the closet doors.

************************

"Where's Taeng?" 

I turned around just in time to see Yuri's head popping out from behind the locker room door before she made her way in. I had arrived earlier and was changing into our working attire in the locker room.

"She's not here yet?" I asked as Yuri shook her head. "I didn't see her car when I arrive just now. Maybe she's late."

"Late?" Yuri scratched her head. "But Taeng has never been later than me."

Both of us looked at each other as if in deep thoughts, trying to think of why Taeyeon was still not at work.

"Wait.. She went out with Fany to confess her feelings last night, right?" Yuri asked me as I frowned before nodding my head. "Do you think something bad happened last night, which caused her not to turn up for work today?"

"Something bad? I don't think so. Let me check with my friend." I was about to pull out my phone when Yuri stopped me.

"Why do you need to call your friend? How would your friend know about what happened last night?" 

"The restaurant where Taeyeon was supposed to make the confession, was a place where I had worked part-time before. I was the one who recommended it since it was a quiet, romantic and cosy restaurant. I showed the restaurant to Taeyeon a few days ago and she fell in love with that place. My friend was on duty last night, so I asked her to keep a look out and assist Taeyeon in any way possible if she needs help." I explained everything in detail

"You worked part-time? When?" 

"While I was studying. Actually, I did a lot of part-time jobs throughout my studies right up to my Masters." I said as both of us walked out from the locker room after Yuri was done changing into her working attire. "To pay for my school fees."

Yuri turned to look at me with a disbelief expression. "Pay your school fees? Why do you have to do that when your grandfather owns one of the largest....?"

"Annyeong!!!!"

A loud chirpy voice diverted our attention as Taeyeon skipped towards us with the biggest smile that we've never seen before. She took turns to hug me and Yuri before standing in front of us, grinning like an idiot.

"Let me guess? Tiffany accepted you as her girlfriend." Yuri folded her arms and acted like she had discovered an amazing fact.

The grin didn't leave Taeyeon's face as she nodded her head eagerly, suddenly turning around and around as if she was dancing ballet.

"Oh man, I think she lost her mind." I pretended to whisper to Yuri even though I said it out loud. "Let's stay away from her."

Yuri nodded her head in agreement as both of us started to move away and pretended as if we didn't know who Taeyeon was.

"YAH!! I thought both of you are suppose to be happy and supportive of me." Taeyeon complained and pouted at us.

"We are but you need to stop behaving like a 12yrs old kid who had just discovered what love is." Yuri said as she unlocked the cabinet where all our tools were kept. 

"But I really did just discovered what love is, even though I'm not 12yrs old anymore." Taeyeon answered with a sad tone. "Don't have to make fun of me."

"I think she's right, Yul. Tiffany is her first girlfriend, right?" I said while scratching the back of my head as Yuri nodded her head. "We're sorry, Taeng. We didn't mean to make fun of you in such away. You were getting too hyper for us, causing us to be taken aback."

"Yes, Taeng. I'm sorry for my words. Of course, we are happy for you. Maybe the fact that we were confident of you and Tiffany becoming a couple, made the news less surprising." Yuri explained her point of view.

"It's okay. I understand." Taeyeon answered with a small smile as she made her way to the locker room.

The moment the locker room door had closed, Yuri grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face her.

"We've got to do something to cheer Taeyeon up. She really looks upset with us."

"Us? It's your fault. Why did you have to say those words to her?" I grumbled at Yuri, who was looking guilty at the moment and giving me the puppy looks. 

I folded my arms and sighed before rubbing my chin to think of an idea. "How about we plan a mini-celebration for the both of them? To celebrate them being a couple. We can have it at Twin Towers after work. Let Soo and Yoongie decorate the cafe for us. We can get Seohyun and Sunny to come down too."

"That's a good idea but do you think Taeng will agree to follow us to the cafe, since she's already upset with us?" Yuri asked as I shrugged my shoulders.

"We'll tell her that we are really sorry for our reactions with her news and as a form of apology, we'll treat her to dinner. But Taeng will not know that we had plan a surprise celebration for her. So, you need to contact Fany and ask her to meet you at the cafe, without her informing Taeng about it. Just explain to her what happened earlier."

"But Fany is going to kill me for what I did to her Taetae." Yuri pouted.

"That's your punishment but I think Fany would be more than happy to be involve in the surprise celebration. Well, obviously after she's done nagging at you." I chuckled when I saw Yuri sighing. "I'll contact Sica and ask her to join us too. Since Fany is her best friend, I think she would love to be part of the celebration."

"Wait a minute. Why do I have to contact Fany while you contact Sica?" Yuri arched her eyebrow and looked at me, as if I was hiding something from her.

"Do you want to contact Sica instead? You can contact both of them if you want to. It's fine with me." I said with a smirk as I grabbed my tools and walked towards one of the car in the workshop.

"I.. I.. I think I'll just contact Fany." Yuri stammered her words after pausing for almost 10 seconds. "She might not want to go if I was the one inviting."

"Who doesn't want to go?" Taeyeon suddenly appeared behind us as Yuri and me were taken aback. "If it's the great Kwon Yul, I don't think any girl will reject her."

Yuri swallowed her saliva and answered quickly. "It's you. We were talking about you. We were thinking of treating you to dinner as an apology for our lacklustre reaction to your good news. But we were afraid that you might reject our offer because you are upset with us."

Since Taeyeon was standing in front of me, I was able to show a thumbs up to Yuri for her quick-witted answer. Yuri managed to sneek a small smirk towards me when Taeyeon looked up to face the ceiling.

"Dinner?" Taeyeon asked as Yuri nodded her head. Taeyeon turned behind to look at me, just at the same time as I hid my hands behind me. "You're going too?"

"Of course. It's our treat for you. As an apology. Furthermore, after this, you might not be able to spend more time with us since you've already gotten yourself a girlfriend. So most probably you will spend more time with her." I grinned at Taeyeon who seemed to like the idea that I had mentioned about her being attached now.

"I guess so. I mean.. I will spend time with you guys but maybe not as much as before. But Ppany has never stopped me from hanging out with both of you anyway." Taeyeon smiled dreamily.

************************

"Holy ... This is so cool." Taeyeon walked in to the cafe which had been nicely decorated by Sooyoung and Yoona.

Both girls were grinning widely as they welcomed me, Sunny,Yuri and Taeyeon into their cafe. It was already 9pm when we arrived as Sooyoung informed that they had closed the cafe at 8pm just now. Since it was a weekday, there was not much customer around so it was easier for them to close the cafe early.

"Soo, Yoongie. Good job. The decorations is really nice." I said as I patted Sooyoung's back and showed a thumbs up to Yoona.

2 tables were joined and placed at the centre of the cafe while the rest of the tables were pushed to the sides. At the wall behind it, there was a banner with the words 'Congrats TaeNy'. Heart-shaped balloons were hanged around it as Taeyeon started to take photos of the deco.

"TaeNy?" Yuri asked as she turned to face Sooyoung and Yoona.

"Taeyeon and Tiffany. So Tae and Ny." Sooyoung explained as Taeyeon nodded her head with a big smile on her face.

"Too bad that Ppany is not here. She would have really love this setup." Taeyeon said as I placed my arm on her shoulders.

"What made you think that she's not here?" I asked as Taeyeon gave me a blur look. "We invited your girlfriend too. She should be on her way here."

Just when I had finished talking, the door of the cafe opened and Tiffany walked in. Me and Yuri looked at each as I saw the disappointment in Yuri's expression.

"She's not here." Yuri sighed as I patted her back.

"Well, I did told you that she might not be coming. You shouldn't have put your hopes up too high." I said and was about to console her more when I saw Tiffany approaching us as she suddenly pulled Yuri's left ear.

"Aaarrrgghhhh!!!"

"That's for bullying my Taetae." Tiffany said before she released her hand. "Oh my god. This is so beautiful. But who is TaeNy?"

Tiffany had just realised about the decorations in the cafe and as expected, she got excited over it especially when Yoona explained what Taeny stands for. The smiling girl ran up to Taeyeon before the both of them started to take photos of themselves in front of the deco.

"This two lovebirds is making me jealous." Sunny commented as I whispered the name 'Chorong' at her, causing Sunny to nudge me on my stomach as I just grinned dorkily.

Seohyun appeared from the kitchen during the commotions, along with Victoria and Hyoyeon. The 3 of them were preparing the food for all of us as we took our seats at the table. The cafe was soon filled with chatterings as some of the girls asked Tiffany about how Taeyeon had confessed.

"I think the place where Taetae brought me to, really played a big part in her confession. The restaurant was really cosy and romantic with a classy element in it. There was even a live band playing at a corner. The food was superb too." Tiffany started off as she continued narrating about what happened between her and Taeyeon last night.

"Everything went smoothly as planned. Thanks to Eunjin and her friend." Taeyeon said as she showed a thumbs up to me, causing me to smile. "Eunjin recommended the restaurant to me and her friend was always there to assist me throughout the night."

"Speaking of which, you said you were working part-time at the restaurant, right?" Yuri asked as I nodded my head. "As a waitress?"

"Anni... I was actually part of the band who performs there." I replied.

"You played in a band?" Seohyun voiced out and continued asking about the instruments that I play.

"I usually play the guitar but not that good though." I gave a shy smile.

"Your friend told me that you are the one who usually sings." Taeyeon pointed a finger at me as my eyes widened since I didn't expect my friend to inform Taeyeon about it.

"How about singing a congratulatory song for Taeyeon and Tiffany?" Sunny suggested and wriggled her eyebrow at me as I shook my head. I knew she said that as a revenge for what I did earlier. "Oh, come on. It's not even 10pm. We need some entertainment."

"But there's no guitar for me to play." I said as Sooyoung suddenly stood up, replying that she has a guitar in her office. "Really? Out of a sudden, you have a guitar?"

"Just sing one song for us will do." Victoria joined in.

"One will be enough. Just in case your voice ." Hyoyeon commented while the rest laughed at her remarks as I sighed and nodded my head,

While waiting for Sooyoung to come back with the guitar, we continued eating and chatting but the sound of the cafe door opening diverted our attention. All of us were surprised to see Jessica and Krystal walking in as Tiffany stood up to welcome them. Jessica then apologised for being late, citing that she had went to fetch Krystal.

"Your girl is here." Yuri whispered at me as I elbowed her stomach.

"Shut up." I whispered back and was about to nudge her shoulders when Sooyoung appeared with the guitar.

"Here you go. You might need to tune it a little since I've not used it for some time." 

I took the guitar and looked around. Everyone was smiling with anticipation as I started to tune the guitar. "Any song requests?" I asked with a grin as the girls started to look at each other.

"Can you sing an English song?"

I turned to look at a pair of cold eyes that I had gotten familiar with over the few months that we had known each other. As I nodded my head and smiled at Krystal, I started strumming the guitar.