Chapter 57

Hard But Easy

I blinked my eyes rapidly, trying to grasp the situation that had just happened.

'Is Krystal angry with me for bringing back my workload? I understand that she disliked it but her reaction showed extreme displeasure about the matter. But can't she understand? If I don't bring back my workload, I won't be able to even be here right now.'

My train of thoughts were disrupted by Tiffany's voice as I looked up to see a concerned looking Tiffany with a glaring and folded-arrms Jessica beside her. They asked me what happened as they saw Krystal passing by the living room before entering her bedroom and closing the door behind her. I explained everything to them including the part where I had brought back my workload.

"You brought back your files from the office?" Jessica asked as I nodded my head. "Didn't you know that Soojung doesn't like it if you do that?"

"I know. She told me before that she didn't like it if either both of us, brought back work stuff home. Work is to be done at the workplace and home is a place to relax and chill. That was what she said to me before. But I didn't expect her to have such extreme displeasure with the whole matter."

"Did Soojung explain to you why she didn't like it in the first place?" Jessica continued asking as I shook my head. "Finish up your dinner first while I go and take a look at Soojung. The last thing you want to do is to add on to her displeasure by not finishing your dinner."

I nodded my head obediently like a son listening to a mother's orders as Tiffany and Jessica left me alone to continue eating. I heard Jessica knocking on Krystal's bedroom door before silence filled the whole apartment. With that kind of atmosphere, it didn't take long for me to finish up my food.

After I was done with clearing the table and washing the dishes, I walked out from the kitchen and was surprised to see the 3 girls already seated at the couch. Jessica pointed out to the empty seat beside Krystal and once again, I just followed her instruction obediently.

"Since Eunjin is already done with dinner, I think it's time for Soojung to say something."

All eyes were now on Krystal who seemed to be pouting a little before she let out a sigh. Turning to face me, she apologised for her behaviour earlier.

"Why are you apologising? It was my fault for doing something that you dislike. I should be the one apologising." I said as Krystal shook her head.

"I'm apologising for my actions earlier and also for not explaining to you the reason as to why I dislike it when you bring back workload from the office." Krystal started off before taking a deep breathe. "I had a close friend in middle school before. We spent a lot of time together and visited each other's house frequently. Her parents treated me like their own daughter and were very nice people. But one day, her father died of heart attack and her mother.... Her mother committed suicide along with my friend."

Silence filled the living room as everyone sympathised with the story. Even though I had wanted to ask the connection of the story with the workload, I just kept quiet since I didn't want to disrupt the atmosphere.

"You must be thinking what's the connection between my story and my displeasure about bringing back workload, right?" Krystal asked as I nodded my head slowly. "Her father had the heart attack because of stress and overwork. He had no history of any heart problems but he had the habit of bringing back his workload. Even when I came over to their house, I always see her father at the study table with stacked of files around him. The mother even joked that her husband sleeps with the files in his arms."

"The doctor said that due to his overworked mental state, it triggered the heart attack. He died at home while sitting at the study table, staring at his paperwork. At that time, his wife had went out to buy groceries to prepare dinner. When she came back, she saw the husband at the study table with his head on it. So she thought that he was taking a short nap. But in actually fact, he was already dead by then." Jessica added on. "Soojung's friend and her mother were not aware that the family was actually in financially difficulties and her husband had taken up a loan with the bank, using the house as the mortgage. The husband even borrowed money from the loansharks. Speculations went around that the mother killed her daughter before committing suicide due to the threats from the loansharks and the fact that they might soon have no where to stay."

"Which is why I started to hate the idea of bringing back workload. It's enough for a person to be stress at work. Once he's home, he should be able to rest and relax his mind. Spend quality time with the family and communicate well with one another." Krystal expressed out her opinions. "A few days after her father died and before my friend passed away, she told me that her mum blamed herself for not understanding her husband better. My friend said that if she had a chance, she would have asked her father not to bring back his workload home so that she can spend more time with him."

Once again, silence filled the room as I finally understood the reason for Krystal's displeasure with the idea of bringing back workload from home. Taking Krystal's hand and clasping them together, I looked at her and gave a small smile.

"I'm sorry for your loss. You must have missed her a lot. Now that I understand the reason for your displeasure, I promise to leave all my work behind in the office in the future. I will also try to learn to manage my time better so that I could spend more time with you and all my loved ones."

Krystal nodded her head and returned a smile to me before we were slightly taken aback when Tiffany started clapping her hands. She gave us her eye-smile while Jessica just shook her head.

"Thanks, Unnie. For talking some sense into me." Krystal's comment caused me to frown a little as I was a little confused. "Unnie came into my room just now and told me what you had told her at the kitchen before that. She asked me if I had explained to you properly about my reason for hating the idea of bringing back workload. I shook my head and was nagged by Unnie."

"I told her that she should have explained it clearly as to why she didn't like it when you bring back your workload. How does she expect you to understand her better if she doesn't say things straight out? In a relationship, communication is very important." Jessica gave her piece of mind as I heard Tiffany giggling.

"Wah, Jung Jessica. Since when did you become so mature?" Tiffany commented before she continued giggling.

"Since I met Yuri. She always emphasize on the need of communication. I think I have similar characteristic with Soojung. Both of us don't express ourselves well enough. That's why sometimes, I know Yuri has a hard time trying to understand me." Jessica admitted as I nodded my head vigorously. "Yah, why are you nodding your head suddenly?"

I chuckled and scratched the back of my head before nervously admitting that both me and Yuri had previously talked about Jessica's and Krystal's similarities. "I just nodded my head in agreement."

"Does that mean that Kwon Yuri had been complaning about me to you?" Jessica squinted her eyes at me as I quickly shook my head. "Don't try to protect her. That tanned monkey is going to get it from me."

I just watched as Jessica grabbed her phone, dialing Yuri's number and continued mumbling as she walked to her room. Krystal and Tiffany on the other hand were laughing at me and teasing me on how I had 'betrayed' Yuri. I could only pouted and facepalmed myself as both girls continued laughing.

************************

People always say that time past very fast when you're having a good time. Ever since that incident at Jessica's apartment, I had managed to find time to spend with Krystal, especially on the weekends. It could also be due to the fact that there was lesser workload to handle after I had rushed through most of them. Harabeoji's condition was also improving a lot and he had been travelling around with Halmeoni to spend time together. Doctor Ahn had not approved of him flying out so both of them only visited places within the country.

Just last week, both me and Krystal had joined the elderly couple for a short visit to Busan. I felt like a tourist in my own country since it was the first time that I was going there. It was a great time when we were there and at some point, it made me missed my parents. Even so, I was glad that me and Harabeoji had reconciled.

The sound of vibration on the table disrupted my thoughts as I saw that it was a messsage from the groupchat.

Where are we eating lunch later? - Sunny

I was thinking of going to that samgyetang restaurant down the street. What do you all think? - Taeyeon

I'm fine with anything. You might want to check with that traitor. She might have other plans since she always do things on her own. - Yuri

I chuckled at Yuri's message. Ever since she was nagged at Jessica that night because of that accidental outburst from me, Yuri had been calling me a traitor for ranting about her to Jessica. But both of us were not at loggerheads because of the issue. It's a just a continuous teasing from each other.

I'm fine with anything too. Anyway, seems like someone is still mad at me for what happened. - Eunjin

She must be pouting right now. - Sunny

She's trying to turn her lips into something like Angelina Jolie. So that she can kiss Sica better. - Taeyeon

That's provided she wants to kiss me. She's still angry at me for talking about her behind her back. And it's all thanks to Eunjin for blurting it out - Yuri

You should just be rough, Yul. Steal the kiss from her. Who knows Sica is just waiting for you to do that. - Eunjin

Woahh... Eunjin seems to be an expert in this. Don't tell me Krystal is like that too? Since both of them are sisters. - Taeyeon

You are lucky that this groupchat only consists the 4 of us. Imagine if Sica saw this. She's going to skin you alive. - Sunny

No worries, I can always screenshot this and forward it to Sica. - Yuri *evil smirk*

Yah!!!! - Eunjin

30mins later, the 4 of us were gathered at the basement carpark where we decided to hitch a ride in Sunny's car so that it'll be easier to find a parking lot later. Taeyeon purposely rushed to the passenger seat, leaving me and Yuri no choice but to seat at the back seat together.

"Both of you better behave at the back. I need full concentration when I'm driving." Sunny gave us an early warning as I just shrugged my shoulders and smirked.

I decided to talk about Taeyeon's upcoming marriage. It's been decided that the wedding in Seoul would be held on 24th of July followed by the wedding at LA on 31st of July, a week later. Taeyeon replied that almost everything had been settled and even the invitation cards had been sent out a month earlier. For most of us, we had already made our bookings to fly off to LA 3 days before the wedding itself.

"When is Krystal flying off?" Taeyeon asked as I took some time to recall the date.

"22nd of July. About two weeks from now." Yuri was the one who answered as she gave me a smirk. "You can't even remember the date of her departure? Krystal will be so disappointed if she knew."

I gritted my teeth and faked a punch at Yuri who continued laughing at me before I taking out my phone when I felt a vibration. It was a message from Krystal who informed me that she would be meeting Sulli and Luna after work and asked if I wanted to tag along. While typing a reply, I noticed Yuri edging closer to me before I turned my phone away and glared at her. She scrunched up her face and looked away.

"Can the two of you stop fighting already?" Sunny commented as she stole a glance from the rear mirror.

"We're not fighting."

Both me and Yuri answered at the same time before both of us folded our arms and meronged at each other.

"Childish." Taeyeon commented.

"Says the person who has stopped growing since she was 10." Yuri replied.

"And craves for ice-cream everytime we walked past the convenience store." I added on as Yuri gave me a high-five. "See. We're not fighting."

"We're just irritated with each other."

Yuri's ending words caused all of us to laugh as Sunny found a parking lot for the car. While we were making our way to the restaurant, I heard someone calling out my name.

"Ms Han."

Turning behind, the four of us had the same surprised expression as Hyuna and a few other girls walked up to us. She casually asked if we were planning to eat at the samgyetang restaurant but Sunny quickly commented that we were going to another restaurant which was a few stores away.

"Really? We were planning to have our lunch there too. Right, girls?" Hyuna turned to her other 3 friends who just nodded their heads nonchalantly. "Shall we walk there together?"

"Oh no. I think I left my phone in the car. Why don't you and your friends proceed first?" Sunny once again answered as Hyuna nodded her head and waved us goodbye.

"I thought we were going to the samgyetang restaurant?" Taeyeon asked after Hyuna and her friends were a distance away. "And I thought your phone is in your back pocket? I saw you taking it with you earlier."

"Pabo. I'm trying to help Yuri and Eunjin from any troubles. It's obvious that girl was trying to hit on Eunjin. I had a feeling that she was trying to tag along with us which is why I told her that we were eating at a different restaurant. Since they are gone, let's proceed to the other restaurant." Sunny smirked as me, Yuri and Taeyeon looked at her with awe.

"I didn't realise that you are so witty." Yuri commented. "But what do you mean you are saving me from troubles? It should only concern Eunjin since she's the targetted person."

"And do you think Sica will let you off easily if she finds out that you didn't do anything to stop Hyuna from trying to seduce her sister's girlfriend? We promised to be her protection squad, remember?" Sunny asked as Yuri finally realised about it. "Come on, girls. Let's quickly proceed to the restaurant before Hyuna realised tha we've tricked her."

Lunch was over soon and luckily, we didn't met with Hyuna again when we were on our way back to the office. The 3 girls continued to tease me about what happpened earlier and how I owed Sunny a meal for saving myself from further trouble. The girls commented that they must really look after me since I'm a little naive when it concerned about girls.

"By the way, have you and Krystal did i beforet?" Taeyeon randomly asked.

Since we still got about another 15mins before lunch was over, we decided to hang out at my office for a while. I was about to sit down at one of the couch when Taeyeon shot me that question.

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon! How can you bluntly asked that kind of question?" Sunny threw a pillow at Taeyeon who was grinnng dorkily.

"Why not? There's only us in here. When do you expect me to ask that question? When Jessica, Tiffany or even Krystal are around?" Taeyeon rebutted as Yuri sat down beside me.

Tapping my thighs, I turned to look at her as Yuri gave me a small smile. "Are you still worried about Sica's reaction about the whole matter?"

I paused a little before shaking my head. "It's not about Sica. I understand that she's trying to protect her sister. But the bigger problem is that, I... I'm not sure on how to actually do it."

Silence filled the office momentarily before sounds of laughter erupted from Sunny, Taeyeon and Yuri. Seeing them laughing at me, I pouted and sulked as Taeyeon commented about me looking like a lost puppy.

"Yah, what do you mean you don't know how? Just go with the flow." Yuri said as Taeyeon added on that I've still got a long way to go.

"Both of you. That's enough. Don't pretend like you are very experienced in all this." Sunny nagged as she smiled at me. "Can I ask you something? Are you certain of Krystal? As in, is she really the one for you?"

"Of course." I answered confidently before Sunny asked me the next question with regards to my intimacy level with Krystal. "Well, we're comfortable with cuddling during sleep."

At the mere mention of cuddling, Taeyeon and Yuri broke into another round of laughter before they were silenced by the flying pillow thrown by Sunny.

"We should be helping her, you idiots. Krystal will be leaving in two weeks time and she's going to be there for two years." Sunny reminded us as Taeyeon and Yuri suddenly became serious. 

I didn't really saw the rationale behind Sunny's words until Taeyeon gave her comments and caused me to blush.

"Two years is a long time to wait. I don't think I can hold on to my hormones that long if I was in that position."

"Have you both kissed before?" Yuri asked as I nodded my head but immediately shook it when Yuri pointed at her lips. "You haven't even kissed on the lips yet? Yah!! What have you both been doing until now? Cuddling like young girls?"

"Have you all did it before?"

My question caused the 3 of them to look at each other before they nodded their heads slowly. I had to stop myself from smiling when I saw the blushes on their faces. I had the urge to ask them to narrate to me their experiences but when I thought back for a moment, I decided not to since I won't be able to face the other girls if I was to know more about it. Especially between Yuri and Jessica.

Yuri then asked me about that incident at Harabeoji's house where Krystal  tried to tease me when we were sleeping at my Appa's room. I roughly told them about what happened as they listened intently. Yuri also asked about the bolster which I immediately answered that it was no longer there. I could see that Taeyeon and Sunny were trying their best not to laugh when they heard about it.

"So ever since that incident, did Krystal try to do it again?" Taeyeon asked as I shook my head. "You have at least kissed her once on the forehead, right? I think I saw it before."

"Yes. Forehead and cheeks. I've kissed her there before." I admitted. "But ever since the bolster had been removed between us, I noticed that Krystal has been wearing y pyjamas to sleep. Those thin and almost see through kind."

"Yah, pabo!! She's trying to seduce you. Don't you see it?" Sunny almost threw another pillow at me as I just grinned sheepishly. 

"She's really a pabo." Taeyeon gave me a disappoved look while shaking her head.

"That's why Krystal calls her Stupid." Yuri added her own comment as Taeyeon and Sunny nodded their heads along with her.

"YAH!!! All 3 of you. Go back to your own department. Lunch is over." I said as the 3 girls meronged at me before leaving my office.

************************

I was glad that the week was finally over. Packing my stuff and arranging the thing on my desk neatly, I looked at my watch and smiled. It's Friday night which means that I'll be free for the next two days. Hopefully. In two weeks time, Krystal would be flying off. After that would be Taeyeon's and Tiffany's marriage. Thinking about Krystal leaving soon, I sighed before making my way to the lift.

"Two years is a long time if you think about it properly." I mumbled to myself. "Can I really manage without her by my side?"

I remembered about the conversation with Harabeoji a few days ago. I was sharing my thoughts with him about Krystal and he told me that distance makes the heart grew fonder. He told me that long distance relationship was going to be hard and trust was something that both of us would need to rely on.

"If at any point of the relationship, you think that you are hurting each other, it's best to just let go. Better to leave with good memories than the bad ones."

My train of thoughts were disrupted by an incoming message from Krystal who said that she's already at my apartment and that she's preparing a surprise for me. By then, I was already at the carpark and was walking towards the car.

'Surprise?' I thought to myself before another message came in. This time round, it was a picture.

Victorias-Secret-symbol-logo2.png

I was staring at my phone, trying to remember where I had seen that logo before when I felt someone putting her arm on my shoulder.

"Why are you staring at a Victoria Secret logo?" Taeyeon asked before I enquired about it from her. "Of course, I can recognise that logo. It's Fany's favourite brand. Everything pink is mine."

I had to chuckle at Taeyeon's attempt to immitate Tiffany as I saw Yuri and Sunny walking up to us. Even before I could say anything, Taeyeon had already informed them about me receiving that picture.

"Why would someone send you that?" A frown appeared on Yuri's face as I answered that it was from Krystal. "Krystal? Oh my god. You're sooooo going to get laid tonight."

It was my turn to frown while trying to understand Yuri's words while watching the 3 of them laughing at me. When it finally hit me, my cheeks instantly turned red.

"I.. I don't .. think ... it's that.. It... It could mean something else." I stammered with my words as their laughter became louder.

"Whatever it is, take it slow. Just enjoy the moment. Don't think too much or stress about the whole thing. It'll come to you naturally." Sunny advised before showing me a thumbs up. "Anyway, does the two of you have any tips for her? Any good advices?"

Sunny turned to look at Taeyeon and Yuri who smirked cheekily at me. Before they could even say anything, I climbed into my car and locked it. I wasn't ready to hear any funny comments from those erts, especially Taeyeon. Giving them a merong and waving my hands at them, I drove out from the carpark until it stopped at a traffic light.

Taking out my phone, I keyed in 'victoria secret' and googled it but the images that came up, caused my eyes to widen as I swallowed my saliva hard. "Aissshhhh.. because of them, I can't stop myself from thinking of unnecessary stuff. And why did I even googled the word. Now my thoughts are running wild, especially with those lingerie images. Aigoo... Stupid Eunjin. You're really a pabo."

The traffic light turned green as I prepared myself for the surprise that Krystal was planning to give to me at home. Although it's not the first time that both of us would be spending the night together, the mere thoughts of the surprise was making my heart beat faster than normal.