Chapter 22

Hard But Easy

15 mins ago, I had arrived at the restaurant and entered it through the back door. I had sent a message to one of my friend who was working there about my arrival so she was already waiting for me by then.

"Yah, long time no see, Eunjin." My friend gave me a hug and patted my back. "How did you manage to become so much good-looking now after you stopped working here?"

I meronged at her as the both of us laughed. I greeted the staff in the kitchen, some whom I knew from before while there are others who were new. My friend led me to a table near the stage, which can't be seen by the restaurant's patrons since it was placed at a secluded corner.

"You said you needed my help. With what?"

I took out a small box that had been neatly wrapped with an obvious birthday wrapper and informed her that I needed her help to pass this to someone who was having her dinner in the restaurant.

"Mwo? Why can't you just give it to her yourself?"

"Because she's here with her family." I replied as I saw my friend suddenly grinning cheekily.

"Someone special?" She asked as she kept nudging my arms while I pretended as if I was not bothered by rolling my eyes at her. "Don't have to pretend Eunjin. You've never shown so much interest in a girl before. Going the distance of getting her a present and even sending it here.. Wait a minute, how did you know she was here?"

"Her sister asked me to help with the reservation tonight." I said as I tried to take a peek at the tables in the restaurant. When I saw Krystal, I automatically smiled until I heard a chuckle beside me.

"Just looking at her can make you smile like an idiot. She's cute though." The teasing started again as I pushed the present to my friend. "I will help you to pass the gift to her but why didn't you write your name on this present. How is she to know who's the one who gave it to her? If you really like her, show it."

"I didn't want her to know that I'm here." I explained myself in a dejected tone. "Furthermore, she's dating someone else currently."

"So? Just because she's dating someone, doesn't mean you can't like her. She's just dating. They're not together yet, am I right?" Her question made me nod my head as she patted my shoulders. "Unless she said it herself that she's not interested in you, then you have every little chance out there to steal her heart. Don't waste it."

I watched as my friend went up the stage to sing a song while I leaned back into the seat and rest. After the song ended, I was surprised when she made the announcement as the whole restaurant suddenly echoed with the sound of a birthday song being sung. I didn't know when my friend had arranged for the delivery of the cake but I was glad that Krystal seemed to like it. The bigger surprise came next as I was totally not prepared when she made the next announcement.

"So without further ado, I'll pass over the mic to my friend who will be singing a song for the birthday girl."

My friend was grinning at me as she waved the mic at my direction. I didn't want to put my friend in a spot so I had no choice but to stand up and walked towards the mic as sound of applause was heard from the audience. Stealing a glance at Krystal's table, I noticed that she looked really surprised. Even Jessica had a shocked look on her face.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Eunjin-imnida. Honestly, I wasn't prepared for this since I was not aware that I'll be performing on stage but given this opportunity, I would like to dedicate the next song to the birthday girl tonight."

I turned to face my friend who then handed me an acoustic guitar while smiling away. I leaned closer to inform her the song that I was about to sing so that she could inform her bandmates. As I fine-tuned the chords and took a seat on the chair in the centre, my friend came and took a seat beside me while holding on to an electric guitar.

 

Krystal's POV

I kept blinking my eyes just to make sure that it was not playing a trick on me. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the performance as they listened quietly. 'How did she know that it was my birthday? I don't remember telling her about it.'

"Isn't she sweet?" I heard a whisper beside me.

Turning my head to face Sica-unnie, I saw that she was smiling widely at me before turning to face the stage. 'Unnie sounds like she's smitten over Eunjin-unnie.'

I sighed as I looked down at the remainders of my steak. Suddenly, I don't feel hungry anymore. Come to think of it, maybe the one who told Eunjin-unnie about my birthday was Sica-unnie. 'They must be talking and messaging each other at night. I guess she's doing all these to impress my Unnie and my parents.'

I was starting to feel sulky but I couldn't stop myself from listening to the song with every word that came out from Eunjin-unnie's mouth. 'Wait a minute. Did she just say someone loves me? Who?'

A frown appeared in my expression as I looked up to see Eunjin-unnie, singing the song with her whole heart. Her eyes would sometimes close but most of the time, her eyes would steal glances at our table. Honestly, she looked really cool while performing on stage with the guitar. 'I hope she's not talking about Amber because I know Amber doesn't feel that way about me.'

The loud sound of applause disrupted my train of thoughts as I looked up to see Eunjin-unnie, bowing her head to the audience before giving her familiar sheepish grin and walked away. Once again, I looked down to my food.

Jessica's POV

I was very happy that Eunjin took the effort to perform for Krystal. After what happened between her and Amber, along with the news of our parents flying off sooner than she had expected, Krystal didn't really had a memorable birthday celebration today. So I couldn't help myself from smiling widely as I watched Eunjin's performance on stage.

'Soojung-ah, are you watching? That girl is singing for you.' I thought to myself.

I clapped along with the audience once the song ended and turned to look at Krystal, expecting her to be clapping too but I was surprised to see her looking down and playing around with her food.

"Soojung-ah, gwenchana?" I asked but before my little sister could answer, we were interrupted by my father's voice.

"Was that your friend? The one who sang earlier." Mr Jung asked as I nodded my head. "No wonder she knows that it's Krystal's birthday today. That was very sweet of her. But from the way she was singing, is there a possibility that she's actually confessing to your dongsaeng?"

Mr Jung smiled teasingly as I grinned wider. "I think so too, Appa."

I had to control my laughter when I saw the confused look on Krystal's face before she continued staring at her food. 'Soojung seemed to have something in her mind though.'

No one's POV

The Jung family didn't take long to end their dinner and were almost reaching their car when one of the staff came running to them and handed Krystal a small box. The staff informed that it was a present from the invited person who sang on the stage earlier.

"The one who sang earlier?" Krystal repeated the staff's words who nodded his head as a confirmation. 'Eunjin-unnie?"

"I think so too. She knew about your birthday when I told her that I needed her help with the reservation for tonight. But I didn't expect her to get you a present and even perform for you. She didn't tell me about that plan of hers" Jessica said as they entered the car.

"Why? Are you unhappy that she prepared all these without informing you?" Krystal's tone of voice was harsh and cold, causing Jessica to blink her eyes in surprise. "Appa, I'm sorry. Can you drop me at the dorm later? I just remembered that I need to submit some assignments by tomorrow."

************************

Krystal laid down on her bed as she stared at the ceiling of her room in the dorm. Her two friends, Sulli and Luna, were surprised to see Krystal back at the dorm since they thought that she would be going back to her parents house for the whole week. Krystal explained to them that her parents had to fly off tomorrow because of the urgent meeting so she would just continue to stay in the dorm.

Knockings on the door made Krystal sat up as two heads popped out from the side of the door.

"Can we come in?" Luna asked as Krystal nodded her head. "We didn't mean to interfere but we noticed that you were looking upset earlier so we just wanted to make sure that you're okay."

"I know it's upsetting that your parents had to..." Sulli's words was cut off by a remark from Krystal.

"Eunjin-unnie was at the restaurant."

Sulli and Luna looked at each other, confusion was apparent on their faces as Krystal elaborated further. Both of them looked in awe after they found out what Eunjin had did for Krystal but they were surprised when Krystal said that Eunjin did all those, just to impress her sister. The two of them quickly made their way to sit beside Krystal on her bed.

"How sure are you about that? Maybe she really did it for you." Luna arched her eyebrow.

"Wait. Am I missing something? What has Sica-unnie got to do with all this?" Sulli asked, her face frowning deeper.

Luna took the liberty to explain to Sulli about what had happened last Saturday when she and Krystal had met up for lunch.

"So Eunjin-unnie bought the flowers for Sica-unnie and met her for a lunch date before sending her home?" Sulli tried to access the information that she had just received from Luna.

"Come to think of it, I didn't see Sica-unnie carrying any bouquet of flowers that day. Did you?" Luna turned to face Krystal who frowned for a while before shaking her head. "Then who did Eunjin-unnie gave the flowers to?"

"Don't tell me Eunjin-unnie is seeing someone else behind my Unnie's back?" Krystal exclaimed as she looked at her two friends, who had blank expressions on their faces. "Is that why Sica-unnie said that it was complicated?" 

(Flashback 30mins ago)

As Mr Jung's car pulled up at the dorm's carpark, all of them exited from the vehicle with Krystal hugging her parents. Bidding them farewell and asking them to take care of themselves since she won't be able to send them off tomorrow at the airport, Krystal was about to walk away.

"I'll accompany Soojungie to her dorm lobby." Jessica said as Krystal declined but she couldn't say much when she saw the glare that was given by her Unnie.

While their parents waited in the car, the Jung siblings made their way to the dorm lobby in silence. Just when they were about to reach the main lobby, Jessica grabbed Krystal's wrist lightly and turned her sister to face her.

"Are you angry with me?" Jessica asked as Krystal shook her head but avoided eye contact with her Unnie. "Look at me, Soojungie."

Krystal looked up, keeping a straight face and her cold glare as Jessica folded her arms.

"Do not glare at me, Jung Soojung. Unless you have a very good reason to do so. So what is your reason?"

"I've nothing to say to you. And you should know very well that I'm born this way. With this snobbish and icy look. That's just the way I am." Krystal answered even though now, her tone of voice was not as harsh as it was when in the car earlier.

"No. That's just the way we are. Both you and I have the same icy look but you don't see me throwing my glares at you with no reason. I know you are hiding something from me." Jessica tried to lower down her sisterly tone in the hope that Krystal would expressed her true feelings.

"If you know so much about me, then I don't think I have to explain myself." Krystal answered before looking away. She was on the verge of tears. Maybe because she has been trying to hold in her disappointment since the time Amber had forgotten about her birthday.

"Soojung-ah.... Things are just complicated at the moment."

Krystal turned to look at her sister, not understanding what her unnie was trying to tell her. Seeing that Jessica was not planning to explain further, it frustrated her even more as Krystal stomped her away to the main lobby, leaving her sister behind.

(End of flashback)

The 3 girls looked at each other with unreadable expression as they were lost in their own thoughts. No one said anything for the next 10 seconds until Krystal laid down on her bed with a big sigh.

"What is Unnie trying to tell me? What does she mean by complicated? Why is everyone trying to frustrate or piss me off today? It's suppose to be my birthday." 

In the end, Krystal let out the tears that she had been holding back as Luna and Sulli were taken aback and were rendered speechless momentarily before they started to coax their crying friend.

"Krystal, please don't cry. Maybe your Unnie will explain to you when the time is right. I believe that your Unnie will never do anything to hurt you." Luna said as she rubbed Krystal's back slowly.

"That's right, Krystal. It's your birthday today. You're suppose to be happy. Didn't you feel happy that Eunjin-unnie sang for you? I mean even if you think that she's doing it to impress your sister, but at least she took the effort." Sulli said as Luna quickly shook her head since she was afraid that Krystal might misunderstand Sulli's words and took it the wrong way. But Sulli continued talking. "What song did Eunjin-unnie sang for you just now? Why don't we listen to it once again."

Luna was about to cover Sulli's mouth when Krystal suddenly stopped crying and even told Sulli the title of the song. While Sulli searched for the song on youtube, Luna sighed which caused Krystal to look at her.

"Wae?" Krystal asked as Luna shook her head and smiled.

"You're bipolar. One minute you're unhappy that Eunjin-unnie sang for you but the next minute, you're willing to listen to the song for the 2nd time." Luna explained her reaction while Krystal shrugged her shoulders.

As they listened quietly to the song, Krystal was reminded of how Eunjin had did it on the stage. This time round, without her sister beside her, Krystal started to have fluttering feelings in her heart. 

"If I was there when I heard the song, I would have thought that Eunjin-unnie was expressing her feelings to you." Sulli commented as Krystal was reminded of what her Appa had said.

"Appa commented the same thing. He was asking teasingly if maybe Eunjin-unnie likes me and Sica-unnie seemed to agree to it."

"Sica-unnie agreed?" Luna tried to reconfirm as Krystal repeated the exact words which her Appa and Unnie had exchanged during that conversation. "This is really confusing. If your sister is really dating Eunjin-unnie, why would she agree about Eunjin-unnie confessing to you?"

"What if it was a sarcastic reaction? Or maybe Sica-unnie wants to hide her relationship with Eunjin-unnie by agreeing to your Appa comments so that he would not suspect their relationship? But then again, what happened to the flowers on that day? Who was it for?"

Sulli started to mumble alone, shooting questions after questions without anyone responding to her before she suddenly stopped and looked at Luna and Krystal.

"This is really complicated."

************************

"So what did you buy for her?"

I placed the bottle of drink on the table and looked at Yuri who was grinning at me. Taeyeon sat beside her and was busy finishing up her lunch since we were taking a lunch break at the workshop. 

"Buy what for who?" Sunny, who was seated beside me, asked as Yuri explained to her about yesterday. "So when are you planning to make a move on Krystal?"

Sunny's question which she had asked in a cool manner, caused me to blink my eyes repeatedly while Yuri and Taeyeon burst into laughter. I gritted my teeth at their reaction as I asked Sunny about how she knew of my interest in Krystal.

"If you go to such an extent for someone on her birthday, I think she's someone who is special to you. Remember the time when you raced to her place after just a phone call?" Sunny shot a question back to me as I rebutted by saying that I was not racing.

"I heard you did more than just giving her a present." Yuri smirked as Taeyeon and Sunny started to push for answers from me.

"I sang for her too. Without expecting to do so, thanks to my friend." I said as I explained the whole situation yesterday.

Cheerings were heard among the 3 of them as they applaused me for the effort while I rolled my eyes since I knew that they did it teasingly. Lunch continued until Sunny repeated her question about when I was planning to make a move on Krystal.

"I'll do that once you've made a move on Chorong." I smirked with my quick-witted reply as Sunny pretended to clench her teeth as Yuri and Taeyeon laughed at her.

"But seriusly, what did you get for her? A necklace, a bracelet?" Taeyeon asked as I shook my head.

"A beanie." I answered as I saw the look in their faces that showed disbelief. "Wae, wae, wae?"

"That's all? You just bought her that? Just a beanie?" Yuri shot the questions at me as I kept nodding my head. "Wow.. That is sooo romantic."

I knew that Yuri was being sarcastic from her tone of voice as I sighed. "Frankly, I don't know much about her. What she likes, her favourite things. I had a hard time thinking of what to get her while I rode to the mall. I know a necklace or a bracelet would be a romantic thing to get her. But we're not romantically linked. I bought her a beanie because I noticed that she likes to wear it. Furthermore, the weather will be getting cold soon."

"Actually, what Eunjin said is correct. Getting Krystal something that is too romantic might scare her off. We don't know how Krystal feels towards Eunjin so it's best to keep it simple." Sunny gave her opinion as I nodded my head in agreement. "Okay, enough of the break. Back to work."

The 3 of us grumbled as Sunny made her way back to her office while laughing away. Yuri and I cleared the table while Taeyeon went off to wash .

"So I guess, Sica and you are keeping in touch?" I asked as Yuri turned to face me with a blank look. "That is how you knew something happened at the restaurant last night, right?"

The smirk on Yuri's face was already an answer to me as both of us made our way to the rubbish bin outside the workshop, disposing off the leftovers.

"We've been messaging each other at night. Sometimes, if she's not sleepy, we will talk on the phone." Yuri said as I nodded my head. "She wanted us to keep it low for the time-being."

"Keep it low? Does this mean both of you are already together?" I frowned a little as Yuri quickly shook her head.

"We're at the dating process. Trying to get to know each other better. I did inform Sica that I'm still receiving invites to the clubs by girls whom I've dated before. Some even wants me to meet them up for lunch or dinner." Yuri informed me further. "I did explain to the girls that I'm no longer who I used to be but they thought that I was just kidding around."

"Maybe that's why Sica wants to keep it low at the moment. People who knew you, won't be able to understand the changes that you are trying to make . Imagine if you made it obvious about going out with Sica. People will think that she's just another girl for you to play around with. How will that make Sica feel?" I asked as Yuri sighed.

"I get what you mean. I don't want people to think likewise about Sica too. Going slow is not that bad either. No rush." Yuri smiled as I patted her back. "By the way, there's something that I need to share with you. With regards to Krystal."

"Krystal? What's wrong with her?" An immediate deep frown appeared on my face. "Is everything okay?"

Yuri started to chuckle as I started to feel confuse and was about to punch her shoulders when she quickly raised up her hand. "It's funny to see you being all worried about someone whom you're not romantically linked with."

I rolled my eyes at her before Yuri started to tell me that I was not suppose to know what Jessica had confided to her last night. I promised to keep it a secret so Yuri continued to tell about the little fight between the Jung siblings after they left the restaurant.

"Fight? They were fighting?" I showed my fists as Yuri chuckled.

"Not with their fists. More like an argument kind of thing." Yuri said as I waited for her to elaborate. "Sica was not sure what was the triggering factor because Krystal suddenly got pissed off while they were in the car. Her sister requested for their father to send her back to the dorm, giving the excuse that she had some assignment to settle even though the plan was to stay at their parents's apartment for the whole week."

I was surprised to find out that Amber had actually forgotten about Krystal's birthday yesterday and also about the early departure of their parents back to California.

"Poor girl. She must have been really upset yesterday. First it was with Amber, then with her parents. No wonder she got pissed off easily." I tried to come up with a reason for Krystal's reaction.

"But Sica was sure that those were not the trigger factors. She thinks that it has got to do with you." Yuri's remark caused me to be taken aback.

"Me? Wae? She didn't like my singing?" I asked while Yuri shook her head.

"Sica thinks that Krystal thought that you and her are dating." Yuri's words confused me as I stared at her blankly until she gave me a light knock on the forehead. "Yah, pabo. What's with that stupid look?"

I quickly blinked my eyes and rubbed my neck. "Why would Krystal think so? Was it because of what happened when I was hospitalised?"

"Anni. Krystal saw you sending her sister back on the day that my car broke down. Remember the lunch date that I had with Sica?" I nodded my head at Yuri's question. "Coincidentally, Fany had teased Sica about having a lunch date before they left the house. Therefore, when Krystal saw you, she thought that her sister went for a lunch date with you."

"But why would Krystal be upset? Even if I'm dating her sister, although it's not the case, there's no reason for her to be upset, right?" I blinked my eyes innocently at Yuri who let out a sigh.

"Maybe she likes you, pabo-yah." Yuri's answer caused my heart to skip a beat.

"She likes me?" I repeated Yuri's words before a wide smile appeared on my face.