Chapter 21

Hard But Easy

"Happy Birthday, Soojung."

Krystal smiled as her parents took turns to give her a hug before giving her the presents. Jessica was busy snapping photos of them before spreading her arms wide to hug her little sister.

"I'm not sure what to get for you so I will grant you any wish you ask from me. But only for today. It expires at midnight." Jessica laughed as Krystal rolled her eyes at her sister.

The Jung family had breakfast together, prepared by Mrs Jung as they chatted about work and other things. Once breakfast was over, they left the house to send Krystal for her classes which luckily would end early today since she would only have 2 classes.

"We'll come and fetch you later to have some bonding time before having dinner together." Mr Jung said to her younger daughter who just nodded her head before skipping away.

Mr Jung drove Jessica to her office before leaving to watch a movie with his wife, while waiting for his daughters to end their school and work.

"Krystal!!"

The girl turned around to see Sulli skipping happily to her while Luna just walked leisurely, lagging behind the excited girl.

"Happy birthday, my friend. This is for you. But you can only open it when you're alone." Sulli giggled after she handed Krystal a box that was neatly wrapped.

"Alone? Is there something fishy inside here?" Krystal frowned as she tried to shake the box while Sulli just grinned. "I'm going to kill you if you put anything weird inside."

Luna arived and gave Krystal a hug while wishing the girl as she handed a small paper bag to Krystal. "My gift is not that big but I hope you like it."

"It's the thoughts that counts, Luna. Thank you, anyway." Krystal said as she smiled sincerely while the 3 of them made their way to their classroom.

Just when they were about to enter, Krystal heard someone calling out her name again and was surprised to see Amber walking up to her. Thinking that Amber was there to wish her too, Krystal waved her hand excitedly.

"Hi Krys. Hi Sulli. Hi Luna." Amber greeted the 3 girls before giving them a dorky smile. "I was wondering if you girls are free after class later? Ailee is having a charity bazaar for her new workplace and she was hoping that all of us could come down to give her some support."

The smile on Krystal's face disappeared when she realised that Amber might had forgotten that it was her birthday. She saw that Sulli was about to say something so she quickly intercepted her. 

"My parents are back in town and they will be fetching me after class for some family bonding time. I'm not sure about the other..."

Before Krystal could end her sentence, Sulli and Luna replied that they had something planned after class and would not be able to join Amber. The tomboyish girl pouted for a while before she grinned again.

"Well, that's too bad then. But I think Ailee will understand. Anyway, who's birthday is it?" Amber pointed to the present that Krystal was hugging which was given by Sulli earlier.

Luna was about to reply when Krystal intercepted her again by saying that it was one of their classmate's birthday and they were planning to give it to the person later. Amber nodded her head before waving goodbye to the 3 girls. Watching Amber running off, all that Krystal could do was to sigh.

"I can't believe she didn't even realise that it was your birthday." Luna started to nag as Krystal just pulled her into the classroom.

Luna's nagging turned to whisper since their classmates were around. As the 3 girls made their way to the last few rows of of their classroom, they stopped at Krystal's table to continue their conversation since the teacher had not arrived.

"You." Luna suddenly pointed a finger at Sulli. "Don't you dare message Amber to tell her that it's Krystal's birthday today."

Sulli blinked her eyes repeatedly and pouted. "I wasn't planning to do that. Anyway, does Amber even know when is your birthday?"

Krystal nodded her head and replied that Amber had asked her before during their second date. "Girls, just forget it. Maybe she's busy thinking about helping Ailee's charity bazaar that it slipped her mind."

"She should have thought of you first before Ailee. You're her girlfriend." Sulli's remark put a frown on Krystal's face.

"I'm not her girlfriend. We're just in the dating process." Krystal said as Sulli looked confused. "Just because we're dating each other, it doesn't mean we're a couple."

"Same goes to your Unnie and her." Luna whispered to Krystal without Sulli realising since she was distracted by the arrival of their teacher as Sulli and Luna quickly went to their seats.

************************

Krystal was surprised to see her sister in her parent's car when they came to fetch her at 2pm. She didn't even have to ask since Jessica spontaneously explained that she had taken time off from work so that they could spend time together as a family. 

"I handed over my stuff to Tiff for her to handle in my presence." Jessica grinned as Krystal shook her head. "So, birthday girl. Any place in mind that you wish to go?"

Krystal paused for a while before she mentioned the amusement park. "I feel like skating. But where are we having our dinner later?"

Jessica shrugged her shoulders and replied that it'll be a surprise. The journey to the amusement park was filled with laughter and chatters and before they even realised it, they had reached the destination.

As they were walking towards the entrance of the park, Jessica nudged her sister's elbow and whispered to her.

"I wonder why you choose this place. Is it because it reminds you of someone? A hero maybe?"

Before Krystal could react and reply to her sister, Jessica had skipped forward and linked her arms with their parents who had walked ahead.

Krystal's POV

'Is Unnie jealous by asking me that question since she obviously know that this place reminds me of Eunjin-unnie?' I sighed before pouting out my lips. 'I really feel like skating though. It's just that when I think of skating, I'm reminded of Eunjin-unnie and the time we skated together. Which then reminded me of the time that we were in the haunted house. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen this place.'

Omma must have noticed me sighing when she suddenly came up to me and asked if I was okay. She said that I've been looking down since I left school and was wondering if there was something bothering me.

I shook my head and told her that I was fine and maybe I was thinking too much about school assignment. 

"Put aside your thoughts of school for today. It's your birthday. It's time for you to celebrate. Just for today." 

I nodded my head as we reached the ice rink and took turns to exchange for our skates. Unnie sat down beside me as we both wore our skates in silence. Just when I was almost done, Unnie grabbed my arms and leaned closer to me.

"What did Amber give you as a present?"

She pulled herself away and waited for my reply. I appreciated that she had asked the question discreetly since I didn't want my parents to know about me and Amber but at the same time, the question made me feel upset again.

"I don't think she even remembered that it's my birthday." I stood up abruptly after answering harshly and made my way to the ice rink, leaving Unnie behind.

Jessica's POV

I was taken aback by Krystal's answer since I didn't expect her to answer in such a harsh way. But then, I kind of understand that she must have been upset about my question. 'How can I feel at ease, leaving Krystal in Amber's hands if that girl doesn't even remember my sister's birthday?'

I shook my head as I made my way to the ice rink. By then, my parents were already happily enjoying themselves, skating together. Suddenly, seeing them in that way, it reminded me of Yuri when we skated together.

'Will I be able to have a loving relationship like my parents, with Yuri?'

I thought to myself as I took a deep breathe. I remembered the lunch date that we had a few days back. 

(Flashbacks)

"Thank you for inviting me for lunch and I'm sorry I took so long to reply." Yuri bowed a little as a form of apology as I arched my eyebrow at her.

"Why did you take so long to reply anyway? Did you need to rearrange your other appointments since I heard that you're usually quite busy on the weekends."

I knew my question sounded a little sarcastic but I wanted to find out the truth from her. Yuri shook her head before letting out a sigh.

"I know you must have heard things about me even way before we met again. Knowing my reputation, I don't think it's that easy to hide the kind of image that I have." Yuri paused and looked up to me with a pair of forlorn eyes. "I took a long time to reply, because I was questioning the reason as to why you wanted to meet up, knowing the kind of person that I was. Honestly, I would never dare to dream of this happening. Of you, inviting me out."

"Why? Because it hurts your pride that I was the one who asked you out instead of the other way round?" I looked straight in her eyes, trying to detect any form of anger in Yuri but the girl shook her head again.

"Even if I wanted to ask you out, I don't have the courage to do so. Not because you're scary or anything. I just feel like you don't deserve to be treated like the other girls that I've been with. You're different, Sica." 

A familiar feeling swirled in my heart when she called me with that name. Flashes of the time when we were in high school appeared momentarily in my head.

"Why am I different?" I asked after that short period of silence.

"Because you're special to me. Even from way before. Since high school." Yuri admitted as I saw her biting her lips. 

"Yuri, the reason why I decided to ask you out is because of the song dedication that you did for me. I listened to every single word of it. I'm trying to understand your feelings from the song. It mentioned about finding your true self. What actually happened that made you like this?"

Even though I knew the story from what Yoona had told me, I still wanted to hear it from her. It's not because I didn't trust Yoona but I wanted Yuri to know that for me to accept her in my life, I need her to be honest and open up to me. There was a long pause as Yuri took a deep breathe. The appearance of the waiter with our food, made it more awkward as Yuri suddenly asked us to eat first while the food was hot.

I almost gave up waiting for her to tell me the story as we ate our lunch in silence but when we were almost done, I was surprised when Yuri suddenly started to narrate to me about what happened during her university times. Just like how I had promised Yoona, I listened to it as if it was my first time hearing about it.

After Yuri had ended her story, silence filled the table again. Once again, the waiter came to our rescue by bringing our dessert to the table. After he left, I took the opportunity to break the silence.

"I waited for you to return on our graduation day but you didn't turn up." 

Yuri looked up and blinked her eyes repeatedly before grinning sheepishly. She started apologising for making me wait on that day.

"It's okay. I understand that you were very famous in school back then. Even until now." I gave a cold glare as Yuri swallowed her saliva.

"But I only had eyes for you." Yuri blurted out as her eyes widened when she finally realised what she had said. 

I had to stiffle a smile when I saw Yuri's cheeks turning red as she started to look away and rubbing the back of her neck. She must have felt very hot when she grabbed her drink but ended up choking on it, making me startled. I quickly handed her a tissue and asked if she was okay. Yuri just nodded her head before breaking into a shy smile.

"Since you've been very honest with me, I'll be honest with you too. I've had a crush on you since the time you helped me with the books." I said before I explained further about how I heard about her changes in character through a friend of mine. "I didn't believe her at first but she started showing me photos of you with different girls in intimate pose. So I ended up, kind of hating you."

"Who was your friend who went to the same university as me?" Yuri asked as I mentioned her name. "Really? She's your friend? I dated her before."

I was totally surprised with Yuri's confession since my friend didn't tell me about it at all. I tried to defend her by asking how could Yuri remember when she had dated so many girls before.

"Of course I could remember her. She was really clingy on me even though I only went out with her for two times. She started telling everyone that we're a couple so I started avoiding her and continued going out with other girls. This is your friend, right?" 

Yuri suddenly took out her phone and showed me a message which she had received a few weeks ago. From the profile photo, I could see that it was indeed my friend.

"She's been trying to ask me out even after all these years but I didn't respond." Yuri said as I nodded my head. "I didn't expect her to tell stories of me to you even though it's the truth."

"Yuri-ah, Tiff told me that you're changing yourself. Spending a lot of time at home instead of doing things that you used to do. Is that the truth?" I asked as I explained further that Tiffany knew about it from Taeyeon.

Yuri nodded her head. "Ever since I saw you again, things are not the same anymore. Initially, I thought it was just a passing phase. That I could forget you easily just like other girls. But like I said earlier, you're different and I think my heart knows it too. Which was why I'm trying to find the real me."

"What happens after you find the real you? What are you going to do?" I asked, anticipating her reply.

"I'm going after my true love. I'm not sure if I'll succeed, but at least I'm willing to give it a shot." Yuri suddenly looked up, straight into my eyes. "So, Jessica Jung Sooyeon, are you willing to take that risk on me?"

(End of Flashback)

"Unnie!! How can you daydream at an ice rink?"

Krystal's voice caught my attention as I grinned at her who was rolling her eyes at me. Without realising, I've been standing still at the side of the ice rink for the past 20mins.

************************

"Hey, it's Krystal's birthday today."

I felt a hand on my shoulders as I just nodded my head. Yuri frowned at my reaction as she leaned against the car that I was repairing. 

"Why do you sound like you're not interested to know?"

I turned to Yuri and smirked. "I've already known since last night." I had to laugh at Yuri's shocked expression. "Your sweetheart called me to ask if I could make reservation at the restaurant where Taeyeon asked Tiffany to be her girlfriend."

"I heard my name." Taeyeon rolled out from under the car that was beside the one where I was repairing. "By the way, how come I didn't know that Yuri had a new sweetheart? What happened to Jessica?"

Me and Yuri turned to look at each other with a blank expression before both of us turned to glare at Taeyeon. From our expression, I believed that Taeyeon could see what we were trying to show her.

"Ouhhh... So the sweetheart is Jessica. Arraseo, arraseo. Don't have to glare so hard. Your eyes are going to pop out soon." Taeyeon grumbled as me and Yuri laughed at her. "Anyway, what's with the reservation?"

"Jessica wanted to celebrate Krystal's birthday there with her family. A dinner for the 4 of them. She wanted to go there since Krystal likes to eat beef and Tiffany told her before that the steak there was delicious." I explained as Taeyeon and Yuri nodded their heads.

"So did you get her a present?" Yuri asked as I shook my head. "Wae? You should get her something."

"I'm not sure if I should. I mean, I'm not even considered as part of her circle of friends." I asked while biting my lips.

"Of course you're not part of her friends. You're not even at that friendship level." Taeyeon commented as I pouted. "But I wonder why she called you for help out of so many of her friends?"

The smirk on Taeyeon's face made me think twice of what she said before Yuri joined Taeyeon's side by saying that maybe to Krystal, I'm more than a friend.

"Yah!! Stop giving me hopes." I nagged at them.

"There's nothing wrong with having a little hope, Eunjin. I know that you feel conscious about the fact that Krystal is currently dating Amber but they're only dating. They're not a couple yet." Yuri expressed her thoughts on the matter.

"You should listen to Yul. She's someone with a lot of experience when it comes to dating." The teasing tone in Taeyeon's voice, caused her to be strangled by Yuri as the two of them started to wrestle playfully at each other.

"Even if I buy her a present, how am I suppose to hand it over to her? She will be spending time with her family until end of the day." I scratched my head, wondering if I should really buy a present for Krystal.

"When there's a will..." Yuri said with a smirk.

"There's always a way." Taeyeon completed her sentence before both of them started to laugh at their own remarks.

I rolled my eyes at both of them as I continued to repair the car in front of me. Within minutes, the 3 of us were back to our own stuff with Yuri leaving soon after to drive the tow truck out since there was a call for a broken down vehicle.

There was not much cars in the workshop so me and Taeyeon were already done with our job by 6pm. Yuri was on her way back so both of us sat down at the couch to relax while waiting for her.

"What time did Sica made the reservation?" Taeyeon asked me as I replied that it would be at 7pm. "Since you know where they will be, why don't you go there to pass the present to Krystal?"

"Mwo? When her parents are there?" I shooked my head vigorously as Taeyeon chuckled. "Furthermore, I won't have time to get her anything. They would most probably end their dinner by 8pm or 8.30pm. By the time I get to the shopping mall, it'll be 7.30pm already."

"Then make a move now. It's not as if we have any more work to do. It's 5 minutes past 6pm. You have more than ample time to be there. Don't have to pass the present directly to her. Since you know some of the people in there, just ask them to bring the present to Krystal's table." Taeyeon's suggestion was something that I didn't expect coming from her.

"Daebak. Since when did you get so good in planning surprises?" I teased as Taeyeon smirked arrogantly,

"Since I found Tiffany."

Her reply caused me to squirm in my seat as I pretended as if I wanted to barf. Taeyeon insisted that I made a move first and didn't have to wait for Yuri to come back. She said that even if Yuri was around, she would agree with Taeyeon's suggestion.

As I rode my motorbike towards the nearest mall, my mind was racing with thoughts of what to get for Krystal. I mumbled to myself, nagging for not knowing much about Krystal. "Pabo-yah, Eunjin-ah. You like the girl but you don't know anythng much about her."

Meanwhile, the Jung family had just ended their ice skating session and were making their way to their car. Jessica informed her father about the address of the restaurant that they would be having their dinner.

"Appa, Omma. This weekend, we can go and watch this upcoming movie that I've wanted to watch since they released it." Krystal said excitedly as Jessica nodded her head in agreement.

"Soojungie has been talking about it since the movie came out last week. She said that we should watch it as a family even though it's actually an animation movie. Aigoo... my little dongsaeng is still a small girl at heart." Jessica sister by trying to tickling Krystal's chin but she paused when Krystal gave her the eye contact.

"Hhhmmm... girls." Mr Jung paused as he tried to clear his throat. "I know that I've told you girls last night about me and your Omma staying here in Seoul until next Monday but something came up."

"Your Appa received a call about an urgent meeting so we have no choice but to fly back tomorrow morning." Omma added on as silence filled the car.

"It's okay. Next time then." Krystal answered shortly as she turned to face the window, looking at the scenery outside.

Jessica released a sigh as she turned to look at her sister, who had turned her face away, by then. She knew that her sister was upset but as usual, Krystal would just bottled up her feelings inside. Silently, Jessica grabbed her sister's hand and gave it a tight squeeze, trying to show that she'll be there for her little sister.

No one said anything until they reached the restaurant. By then, the atmosphere had toned down a little as they were brought to their table. Everyone was focused on reading the menu and after the waiter had taken their orders, Mr Jung was the one who broke the silence.

"Mianhae. I know that both of you are upset with us for leaving so soon. If I could miss the meeting, I would have done so." Mr Jung looked at her two daughters with a sad expression.

"Don't worry, Appa. We understand." Krystal tried to give a bright smile but Jessica knew her sister was just pretending. "I'm really feeling hungry. Luckily Unnie brought us to this place where they served steak. There's even a live band performance."

Not wanting to dampen the mood any further, Jessica smiled too and explained that Tiffany was the one who recommended this place. The Jung family continued to chat and 15mins later, their food arrived.

"Ladies and gentlemen. I hope you all are enjoying your meal. I'm sorry for disrupting but someone informed me that there's a girl in here who is celebrating her birthday today. Shall we sing her a birthday song?" The lead singer from the band smiled at the audience.

Krystal looked up and was surprised when a waiter brought out a small cake with a single candle on it, walking up to their table and placing it in front of her. By then, everyone had started to sing her the birthday song and they clapped loudly when Krystal finally blowed on the candle.

"So without further ado, I'll pass over the mic to my friend who will be singing a song for the birthday girl."