Chapter 83

Hard But Easy

"Aishhh..."

Yuri chuckled as she watched Jessica throwing her phone onto the table before her eyes continued to look at the TV screen in front of her.

"She will call you back once she's free. Why are you getting so frustated on your own?" Yuri asked her wife, who was already pouting and had folded her arms.

"I've been trying to call her for the past 20mins. I wanted to wish her happy birthday but she's not picking up her phone. Is she so busy that she can't even answer her phone?" Jessica mumbled and glared at Yuri, who had started to laugh out loud.

"Maybe she's in the bathroom or still sleeping. Eunjin is there with her. Let them spend time alone since they've been apart for some time. They need that privacy, especially after what happened between them. You'll have plenty of time to wish her when we meet her for dinner later. Anyway, it's almost 11am now. Don't you want to get ready?" Yuri asked as she took the remote control to switch off the TV. "Appa and Omma will be arriving in two hours time."

Yuri continued to chuckle as she observe her pouting wife, making her way towards the bathroom. She had woken up early, around 8am, to do some yoga exercise and had already taken a bath. She then decided to watch TV in the separated living room of their suite, while Jessica continued to sleep. It was almost 10.30am when she noticed Jessica trudging towards the couch where she was seated.

Appa Jung and Omma Jung had decided to come a day earlier to celebrate Krystal's birthday on the day itself. The initial plan was to celebrate it a day after, to let Eunjin and Krystal to enjoy some private time together. But after what happened between Eunjin and Krystal, all their plans went haywire. 

Jessica's phone rang, causing Yuri to be startled as she saw Krystal's name appearing on the screen.

"Yeoboseyo?" Yuri answered.

"Yuri-unnie?" Krystal's voice sounded surprised as Yuri explained to her that her sister was taking a shower at the moment. "Ohhh, okay. Because I received 10 missed calls from her so I thought something urgent came up. My phone was on silent mode."

"Your sister only wanted to wish you Happy Birthday. Maybe you can call her back in an hour's time?" 

"Arraseo. By the way, Eunjin asked what time will Appa and Omma's flight arrive later?"

"If I tell you, both of you will end up coming to the airport to receive them too. Just enjoy your time together and we'll see you at dinner tonight. Tell Eunjin, I told you that." Yuri replied with a chuckle.

"Arraseo, Unnie. I'll call again later to talk to Sica-unnie."

Yuri ended the call soon after and stood up to change her clothes. She could still hear the sound of the water from the shower and decided to try her luck by checking if the bathroom door was locked. She grinned when she realised that it was not locked and pushed it open. A loud shrieking dolphin-like scream echoed through the room before a laughing Yuri was literally kicked out from the bathroom.

 "Yah, Sica.... Just a short one." Yuri shouted at the closed door as she heard the clicking sound of it being locked.

"Andwae!! It's never going to be a short one with you and I don't want to be late to the airport." Jessica shouted back a reply as Yuri continued laughing while she rolled on the bed.

***********************

"What time will the dinner be later?" Appa Jung asked as Yuri informed him that she had made the reservation at about 8pm. "That's good. Enough time for me to get some rest. I'm never going to get use to long flights even though it's not my first time and I'm sure it'll not be my last time."

"Rest? Yeobo, you're just going to go back to the hotel to rest? What about shopping?" Omma Jung asked with disbelief in her eyes at her husband.

"You can ask Sooyeon to accompany you. I'll be more tired if I were to accompany you shopping." Appa Jung replied, causing Omma Jung to pout.

"It's okay, Omma. I can accompany you shopping. Yuri will be following us too." Jessica hugged her Omma's arm in an excited manner which caused Yuri to raise an eyebrow at her wife's reaction. "Let's send Appa to the hotel and we can start our shopping spree."

Jessica and her mother started walking to the car while Yuri and Appa Jung pushed the trolleys from behind.

"Do you need me to hang around while you entertain the two ladies?" Appa Jung offered a suggestion as Yuri shook her head. "I'm sorry for leaving you on your own while they enjoy their shopping."

"It's okay, Appa. You should go and rest since you're feeling tired. I'll manage." 

The four of them drove back to the hotel where Yuri and Jessica had been staying for the past few nights. Appa and Omma Jung's room was a few doors away from them and after leaving Appa Jung to rest in the hotel room, the 3 ladies made their way back to the car. Jessica started to give a few suggestions as to where they should start their shopping.

Two hours later, Yuri was starting to get bored on her own as she just observed her wife and mother-in-law roamed around another shop. She had lost count on the number of shops that they had managed to visit within that short time frame. She looked at her watch and realised that they still had about 2 hours to go before going back to the hotel to fetch Appa Jung before proceeding to the dinner place.

Yuri's phone rang and Eunjin's name appeared on her screen.

"Hey. What's up?" A smile on Yuri's face appeared as she brightened up a little.

"Hey, Yul. You sounded extra chirpy. Where are you at?"

Yuri answered Eunjin's question and pouted a little when Eunjin laughed at her complaint about being bored. 

"I'll drive over to meet you at the mall with Krystal and accompany you there. The mall is not so far away from the hotel that we're staying anyway."

It didn't take long for Eunjin to find Yuri at the mall as Krystal ran over to her mother's side to give her a tight hug. The Jung siblings were really glad to be able to spend time with their mother as Yuri and Eunjin just followed them from behind, with their hands full of shopping bags.

************************

"How was last night?" Yuri asked me as I looked at her with a confused look. "Don't pretend to look lost. I could see your hickeys from here."

Immediately, my hand went to my neck as Yuri started to laugh at my sudden reaction.

"Ouuhh... so that is where one of your weak points is. Anyway, I was just kidding about the hickeys. You don't have any with you."

"Yah!! Stop joking around. Krystal's mom is here. What if she had heard your comments earlier? I don't want her Omma or even her Appa to hear things like that." I pretended as if I wanted to punch Yuri, who continued to have a cheeky smile on her face.

"Are you scared of your future parents-in-law?" Yuri continued with her teasing as I just pouted. "Don't worry. Appa Jung and Omma Jung are cool people. Trust me."

"That's easy for you to say. You are already married to their daughter. What if I did something wrong and they decided not to allow me to marry Krystal?" 

"Then find a new girlfriend." Yuri replied in her teasing tone but a deep frown appeared on my face as I folded my arms. "Yah, I was just kidding."

"It's not funny, Yul. I'm serious about her and it has never crossed my mind to find a replacement of her in my life." I replied with a serious tone as Yuri stared at me before putting her arm on my shoulder.

"Hey, what's with the seriousness suddenly? It's not like you to not be able to take a joke. Of course I know that you're serious about Krystal and I've already accepted the fact that you'll be my sister-in-law soon. So what's with this sudden serious reaction?" Yuri asked, sounding worried.

Letting out a sigh, I looked around to check on my surroundings and noticed that Krystal, Jessica and their Omma were a distance away from both of us.

"I was totally broken when I saw Krystal with that guy. I felt so much pain in my heart, exactly just like the pain I felt when I saw my parent's car burst into flames." I swallowed a lump in my throat as Yuri's grip on my shoulders tightened. "I really thought that I had lost her and that's the end of our relationship. When I ran away from her, I kept blaming myself, just like how I blamed myself when I lost my parents."

"But that accident was not your fault, Eunjin." 

"I know but I can't help to blame myself for it. I'm the only survivor from that incident. My dad ensured my safety. I felt that it was his sacrifice for me." I stopped myself from talking when I sensed that my tears might start falling. "I'm sorry for taking this whole matter too seriously."

Yuri shook her head and smiled. "I'm sorry for teasing you. Especially after what happened between the two of you. But I've never heard you talking about your thoughts on your dad's sacrifice for you. Is everything okay?"

Our conversation ended abruptly before I could reply her when Jessica and Krystal appeared in front of us, along with Omma Jung.

"It's almost time to fetch Appa and proceed for dinner. But Omma and me wanted to get a birthday present for Soojung so we were thinking if you could help to fetch Appa first and then meet all of us at the restaurant instead. Will that be okay with you, Seobang?" Jessica clung her arms onto Yuri and gave her cutest smile as Yuri nodded her head.

"I'll see you all later then. Don't be late. Eunjin, you know where's the place, right?" Yuri turned to face me as I showed her a thumbs up.

Yuri walked away towards the carpark and it was Krystal's turn to link her arms with me while her sister walked beside Omma Jung. After they were done with getting Krystal her presents, we were making our way to the carpark when Jessica suddenly stopped and turned around.

"By the way, what did you get Soojung for her birthday present?"

It should have been a simple answer as I could easily tell her that I had actually prepared a surprise present for Krystal. But since it was so abrupt, I was totally taken aback and the memories of what happened last night flashed through my mind. I started to blush as a smile appeared on my face.

"What's with that eerie-looking smile?" Jessica asked as she looked at me suspiciously while I shook my head quickly. "Wait. That's not an eerie smile. That's more like a erted smile."

My eyes widened since Jessica had said it out loud while Omma Jung was standing beside her. I saw Omma Jung smiling while Jessica started to question us about what we did yesterday and why Krystal was not able to answer her call this morning. I could only grin nervously as I noticed Omma Jung tapping Jessica's shoulders.

"Why are you being so nosy? They're adults and in a serious relationship. Stop questioning them as if they are criminals. It's not like as if you and Yuri were very innocent when you both are still dating." Omma Jung said in a soft tone as Jessica pouted. "Let's get moving. We don't want your Appa to grumble at us for being late."

We arrived at the restaurant about 5 mins later than scheduled. Yuri and Appa Jung were already seated at the table and were looking through the menu. Krystal went up to her father and gave him a tight hug from the side. The waitress came to take our orders before all of us started chatting away. 

We were almost done with our dinner when I excused myself to the Ladies. As I walked away from the table, I diverted to a corner of the restaurant after making sure that no one saw me. I made my way to the kitchen entrance and waited for the waitress that had served us earlier. The truth was, I had made an arrangement with the restaurant to prepare a birthday cake for Krystal and also to help me with my surprise plan.

Krystal's POV

"I'm sorry but I need to go to the Ladies for a while." 

I turned to look at Eunjin who was seated beside me as everyone nodded their heads. She stood up and smiled at me before walking away from the table. Once she was gone, Appa started to ask me questions.

"You'll be graduating in six months time. So what's your plan after that? Are you going to continue working for your Sister or do you have other plans?"

"I'm thinking of continuing with my work at Unnie's company. But I will have to ask for a pay rise since I have better qualifications now." I grinned at Sica-unnie who replied that she might have to reconsider employing me again because of the pay rise. "Unnie.... you had promised me that you'll keep a place for me in your company."

Everyone laughed when I pouted as Appa asked if Eunjin was aware about my plans to work with Sica-unnie again.

"What if Eunjn wants you to work with her instead?" Omma asked a random question.

"Work with Eunjin? But my major has got nothing to do with shipping or logistics. I would not be able to fit in with her company's structure. Furthermore, Eunjin has never mentioned about wanting me to work with her."

"Omma, I don't think Eunjin will do that also." Yuri-unnie added her comments. "She understood Krystal's passion and fully supports it."

My parents nodded their heads at Yuri-unnie's remarks and I was about to say something when I heard a group of people singing a birthday song.

Turning around towards the direction, I saw the waitress earlier with a small cake in her hands and making her way towards our table, along with a few other workers of the restaurant. When the birthday song ended, they placed the cake in front of me.

"Ms Jung, we were informed that it's your birthday today. This cake had been specially prepared for you. Please make a wish." The waitress smiled at me as I closed my eyes and blew the candles after making my wish.

The moment the fire was out, I heard a familiar voice singing a song that seemed to be familiar to me.

As I searched for the owner of the voice, a light slowly appeared at a corner of the restaurant where I saw Eunjin sitting on a high chair while holding a mic. A smile instantly appeared on my face as the memories started to flood into my mind. This time round, I had my focus solely on her and the song that she was singing. 

I noticed the smiles on everyone else at the table as they most probably would have remembered hearing the song and when it ended, a loud applause was heard from the patrons in the restaurant.

Eunjin bowed her head and smiled as she waited for the crowd response to tone down.

"Thank you everyone for the kind and warm response to my singing. I apologise if my performance might have caused a little discomfort to anyone one of you who are dining here tonight. It's a special night for someone who is very special to me. A year ago, I appeared on stage at a restaurant where that special person was having dinner with her family to celebrate her birthday. The song was sung for her but due to some misunderstanding between her and me, she didn't realise that I was singing it for her. Which is why I decided to sing it again tonight, especially for her."

Eunjin paused her speech and suddenly stood up before making her way to our table. Stopping just beside me, she held out her hand and gestured me to hold it, which I did.

"Krystal Jung Soojung. Our first impression of each other was not that of love at first sight. It was actually something which was imprinted on my face."

I had to laugh when I was reminded of the slap that I had given her, the very first time that we met.

"But I guess we were fated to get to know each other better and there was never a single moment of it that I had regretted. Things were not always smooth sailing for us but I'm glad that we had managed to overcome it together, one at a time. Happy Birthday, my love. I wish for nothing but the best for you in everything that you do."

I bit my lips to hold back the tears that was threatening to flow out from my eyes but I had to gasp when Eunjin suddenly went down on one knee.

"I know you have a lot of dreams to achieve, especially after your graduation. Believe me when I say that I will be supportive of everything that you want to pursue but after what happened to us recently, I realised that I really can't afford to lose you. So with a humble heart, I would like to request for us to be more than just girlfriends."

I let out a louder gasp when Eunjin took out a small box from her pocket and showed me a simple engagement ring. It was not something grand but instead, it was a very simple one-studded diamond ring which I totally loved due to it's simplicity. I was staring at the ring when I felt a nudge on my shoulder. Looking to my side, I saw Sica-unnie frowning at me.

"Yah!! She's waiting for your answer."

Immediately, I turned to look at Eunjin and started to nod my head furiously. A loud applause broke out in the restaurant as everyone cheered for us.

************************

"Is that an engagement ring?"

Sulli exclaimed loudly as Luna started to become curious too. The two of them had planned to meet Krystal before their classes started for the day. They saw Eunjin dropping Krystal at the front gate of their University and had waved at her. Sulli's sharp eyes were the one that had noticed something shiny on Krystal's finger.

When Krystal finally reached to where both of them were at, she was surprised when they grabbed her hand to look at her finger.

"Oh my god. It's real. It is a ring. Engagement ring?" Luna turned to look at Krystal with that question as the owner grinned shyly before nodding her head. "Oh my god. Congrats, Krys. I'm so happy for you."

"We were only separated for a few days and you're already engaged. If we had left you for a few months with Eunjin, you would have came back pregnant." Sulli commented with a poker face as Luna and Krystal just stared at her.

"You know that it's not possible, right?" Krystal asked as Sulli grinned at her.

"I was just using a sample. Maybe it's not really a good sample." Sulli chuckled on her own. "Anyway, congrats to you and also Eunjin-unnie. Are you guys planning to get married after you graduated?"

Sulli's question caused Krystal to frown as the three of them made their way to the school's canteen.

"Actually, we've not talked about marriage yet. After my birthday dinner, we made our way back to the hotel where my parents and sister were staying. We gathered inside my parent's suite and Eunjin explained about how she had actually discussed the whole plan with my parents and had seeked their permissions to go ahead with her surprise plan."

"Was it because of that incident? Which is why she decided on this engagement?" Luna asked as Krystal thought for a while.

"She did admit that the incident had reaffirmed her decision about getting engaged but she made the decision even before flying here. Which means that she already had everything planned before coming to see me." Krystal explained further as they joined the payment queue at the canteen after grabbing their breakfast.

The three of them continued talking about other topics and were about to step out of the canteen when a figure appeared in front of them.

"Hi girls. Good morning to all of you, especially to the beautiful Krystal." Jongin smiled brightly at them before he held up a paperbag, which had a branded name across it, towards Krystal. "This is my birthday present for you. It's nothing much. Just a luxurious backpack that you can use for school. It's limited edition though, so not many people could actually afford it."

Krystal just stood there without receiving his gift. "Thank you so much for your kind thoughts but I don't think I deserve to receive such an expensive gift. Furthermore, my school backpack is still in good condition and we're only left with six months before graduation anyway."

"It's a gift. Shouldn't you just accept it willingly?" Jongin's voice was starting to show a little arrogance as he continued to wave the paperbag in front of the girls. "I'm confident that my gift is way better than what your girlfriend could afford. What did she get you anyway?"

"Girlfriend?" Krystal answered in a mocking tone. "I don't have a girlfriend."

Krystal's answer caused Jongin to be confused before a smile creeped onto his face.

"Wae? Did you both broke up already?" He asked joyfully before a hand appeared in front of his face.

Sulli had grabbed Krystal's hand and swung it to the front of Jongin's face. "She doesn't have a girlfriend anymore because she has a fiancee now. I don't think her fiancee will like it if she was to accept your gift."

The look on Jongin's voice was of total shock as the three girls tried to walk away from him. They were only a few steps away when Jongin ran up to block them again.

"Is it true, Krystal? Is that really an engagement ring? Are you really engaged to that girl now? But what about that guy whom you've been spending time together with lately? You're cheating behind her back?""

Krystal let out a frustrated sigh with all the questions thrown at her before she took a deep breathe. 

"That guy is my cousin's fiancee. I'm not cheating behind her back and my fiancee knows who he is. We're late for our classes so could you please excuse us?"