Chapter 75

Hard But Easy

"Thank you so much for the lunch, Mr Han." The man bowed his head to the elderly man before turning his body to face an elderly woman. "And it was very delicious, Mrs Han. My daughter should learn how to cook like you."

The 3 of them laughed before the man excused himself to return home. Once the door was closed, the two elderly couple made their way to the living room.

"Are you seriously going to consider his suggestion?" Halmeoni asked her husband, who just grabbed the newspaper and ignored her. "Eunjin already has a girlfriend, Yeobo. You've also met her for a few times. You yourself said that Krystal is a good girl. Eunjin is never going to break up with her since she loves her a lot. Remember what happened when you tried to plan an arranged marriage for Eunjin? She almost got killed."

"That's because that guy is a scumbag. But Mr Kang's daughter is not. She's the CEO of their airline company and I've read her profile. She's a capable woman." Harabeoji put aside the newspaper and looked at his wife. "I know that Krystal is a good girl. But we need to look at the bigger picture. The company."

"I thought you told Eunjin that you didn't really care about losing the company?" Halmeoni asked.

"I did. On my part, I don't care if we lose the company. But what about the workers? Some of them had worked hard and long for the company. The past few days, I've been  receiving calls from those retrenched workers, some of them were my friends in school. They asked me to withdraw the retrenchment decision against them."

"I don't think Eunjin will retrenched workers with no solid reason. They must have under-performed for Eunjin to retrench them." Halmeoni tried to guess Eunjin's decision.

"I know. Some of them should have been fired when they were still under my care but because they were my friends, I didn't have the heart to do so. That's why I told them that I can't interfere with Eunjin's decision and that her decision is final since she is now the Director of the company. Obviously, they ended up being angry and started to curse at me over the phone." Harabeoji replied with a sigh. "I heard from Ms Jeon that they did the same thing to Eunjin at the office. Cursing her and throwing things at her but there's a security guard always on standby."

Halmeoni eyes widened as she gasped when she heard Harabeoji's words. She took the small pillow from the chair and started hitting Harabeoji with it. "Yeobo!! How could you let such thing happened to your only granddaughter and to think that you even kept all these from me? What if she got hurt? Aigoooo..... my poor child. Until when are you going to suffer?"

"Suffer? Don't exaggerate. It's just some swearing and cursing. I've received all those too when I was still in the company. Those experiences will toughen her up."

"Toughen her up? Don't you think losing her parents at a young age, having to live her life alone and independantly are already tough enough for her? She's a girl, Yeobo. Just because she looks tough on the outside, doesn't mean that her heart is not fragile like a girl. You're lucky that your granddaughter is not the whiny and clinging type of girl. You should be glad that she's able to handle the company when you threw her into it.

"Threw her into it? I didn't force her to take over the company."

"You didn't directly force her. You were sick, remember? During that period, she had already felt obligated to take over your position since she didn't want you to work so hard and stress yourself out, especially with your condition at that time. She was thinking of your welfare. But what are you doing now? Planning to follow that Mr Kang's suggestion of marrying his daughter to Eunjin in exchange of continuous support to the company." Halmeoni let out a heavy sigh.

"Did you see me agreeing to his suggestion?" Harabeoji asked as Halmeoni slowly shook her head. "Do you think that I would force Eunjin to do something against her own accord?"

"I.. I.. I thought that you would agree with it since you told Mr Kang that you would consider the idea. And knowing how you would do anything for your company, I thought.. I thought.." Halmeoni couldn't complete her sentence as she just looked away.

"I admit that if it was the old me, I might have agreed to the arranged marriage. But I'm not. Obviously, I won't try to break Eunjin and Krystal apart, knowing how much they love each other. I said that I would consider out of respect for that man, who had took the trouble to come here to say it to me. Obviously, I will still inform Eunjin about Mr Kang's suggestion though. She has the right to know."

"But have Eunjin informed you of the proposal by K-line company? From what Mr Kang told us, his daughter had already went through the proposal with Eunjin two days ago but Eunjin informed her that she needed to consult you first." Halmeoni asked but Harabeoji shook his head. "It's all your fault. Do you have to throw a tantrum about Yuri's wedding?"

"I was just upset about the whole matter. But it's not as if I'm opposing it totally. No one is stopping her to come over and visit us also." Harabeoji replied. "I miss talking to Eunjin too."

************************

"I'm sorry for causing so much trouble for you."

I just shook my head and smiled at Jihyun, who had a guilty expression on her face. 

"Actually I didn't even know about all this since I have yet to pay my grandfather a visit."

I frowned a little as I stared at the coffee cup in front of me. Jihyun had messaged me about an hour ago, requesting to meet me up urgently. Lucky for her, I had not made any plans to go out with Krystal since she had some shopping plans with Sulli and Luna. So I agreed to meet her straight after work for a cup of coffee.

I was surprised when she started telling me about what her father had done earlier, during lunch time. From what she told me, it seemed that her father, Mr Kang, had met up with Harabeoji behind her back to suggest an arranged marriage between me and her.

"I seriously don't understand where he got such an idea to do all this. I literally screamed at him over the phone after he told me about what he did at your grandparent's place. I was afraid that your Harabeoji will contact you to inform about this so I quickly arrange to meet you to avoid any misunderstanding. I'm really embarassed with the whole situation, right now."

I chuckled at how nervous she was and the blush that was obvious on her cheeks before she bit her lips and pretended as if she wanted to punch me. Both of us ended up laughing at each other and it took us about 5 mins before we calmed ourselves down.

A beeping sound from my phone to my attention away as I read Krystal's message.

Is the meet-up over yet? p/s: I'm starting to get jealous here. - Krystal

A wide smile spread on my face as I stiffled a chuckle at Krystal's message. Before I drove out from the office to meet Jihyun, I had messaged Krystal to inform her about the urgent meet-up. At that time, Krystal was already at the mall with Sulli and Luna. She replied my message by asking if it was because of company's matter but I told her that Jihyun had not informed me about the reason for her sudden request to meet me.

Let's meet up for dinner. I haven't had mine yet. p/s: I miss you so much. - Eunjin

"Your girlfriend?" Jihyun asked as I nodded my head, the smile still apparent on my face. "She's a lucky girl."

"Lucky girl? Wae?" 

"Seeing how you're smiling from ear to ear just by reading a message from her, I can see how much you really love her. That's why I said that she's lucky"

"We're lucky to have each other. I mean, I believe she would also react the same way if she's in my position. Maybe, you would also be doing the same thing when you receive a message from your partner."

"Provided I have one." Jihyun replied before letting out a sigh. "Maybe my dad grew tired of waiting for me to have a partner, which is why he came up with that stupid idea. He didn't even check with me to find out if you're single or not."

"So if I'm single...?" I decided to tease Jihyun but I was the one, surprised by her answer.

"I might consider his idea." 

Since Jihyun answered it nonchalantly, I didn't know how to react as an awkward silent creeped in. Both of us avoided each other's gaze and I thanked god when another message arrived from Krystal.

Can Sulli and Luna join us for dinner too? The 3 of us haven't ate yet. p/s: I miss you too, Stupid. - Krystal

I quickly typed a reply to Krystal, telling her that I was fine for her friends to join us. I stole a glance at my watch and saw that it was almost 7pm.

"I can see that you have a dinner appointment after this. I don't want to hold you back any longer. By the way, thank you for listening and I hope there's no bad feeling between us because of this incident."

"Don't worry. I can understand your concern. Thanks for giving me a heads up."

Jihyun excused herself and made her way out of the cafe as I just observed. Finishing up my drink, I left the cafe 10mins later after Krystal messaged me about her location and the place where the 3 of them had wanted to have their dinner.

Krystal's POV

"Are you sure Eunjin-unnie is find with us tagging along? We've got no problem going somewhere else for  our dinner. We don't want to intrude your quality time with Eunjin-unnie, right Sulli?"

Luna turned to her side to face her good friend as Sulli nodded her head vigorously.

"I've already checked with her and Eunjin's fine with both of you joining us. Furthermore, I wanted to treat both of you to dinner."

"Just one thing. Do not kill our appetite with your chessiness and PDA," Sulli voiced out her opinion with Luna agreeing along.

I tried to rebutt by saying that I'm not a cheesy kind of person and not the type to show affection in the public but both of them rolled their eyes at me before breaking out into laughter.

It was already 7.30pm when we reached the restaurant as the waitress showed us to our table. I informed her that we're expecting one more person and would be making our order once that person arrived. The waitress nodded her head and told us to look through the menu while waiting before she left our table.

"Krys, you said that Eunjin-unnie had an urgent meet-up with Ms Kang. That name sounded familiar though." Luna asked as I nodded my head while my eyes scanned through the menu.

"Yah, Ms Kang is that woman who came with Eunjin-unnie during Tiffany-unnie's wedding." Sulli slapped Luna's arm for forgetting as Luna had turned into an 'O' shape. 

I could sense that the both of them were giving each other eye signals even though my eyes were still on the menu. When I looked up, the two of them quickly diverted their eyes back to their own menu.

"Eunjin and her might be working closer soon since there's a possibility that they might be involved in projects together." 

Sulli and Luna looked at each other before turning to face me. Even without them saying anything, I already knew what's on their minds as I told them that I was fine with it. We were about to discuss what to order when I saw Eunjin standing at the restaurant's entrance, talking to a waiter probably asking for our table. I lifted up my hand and waved at her which she saw as a wide smile appeared on her face.

"Someone's excited to see her own girlfriend." Luna commented as both she and Sulli started to chuckle.

"Hi ladies." Eunjin greeted Sulli and Luna before kissing me on my forehead. "Hi sweetheart."

I noticed Sulli and Luna trying to hide their smirks as I tried to put a straight face on. Eunjin asked if we had placed our orders as the 3 of us shook our heads. The waiter came to hand Eunjin a menu so while she looked through it, Sulli, Luna and I placed our menu. Eunjin asked the waiter for their restaurant's specialty and decided to follow the waiter's recommendation.

"So how's the shopping?" Eunjin asked after the waiter left our table as she entwined her fingers with mine under the table.

Sulli and Luna started talking about it as I just listened quietly. Halfway through the discussion, our food was served so we decided to eat first while having small talks in between. 

************************

"Arranged marriage? This again?"

I nodded my head at Krystal's question as she started to fold her arms. After we finished our dinner with Sulli and Luna, we went our separate ways with Krystal taking my car. We talked a lot about the upcoming wedding of her sister and Yuri during the drive back home and were almost reaching Jessica's apartment when Krystal asked about my sudden meet-up with Jihyun earlier.

She showed an eager expression when I just started telling her about the whole incident but by the time I was done narrating everything, she was already looking at me with a deep frown.

"Harabeoji didn't tell you anything about it?" She asked as I shook my head. "By the way, is everything okay between you and Harabeoji?"

I was taken aback when she asked me that as she quickly explained that she observed some unpleasantness every time I mentioned about Harabeoji to her.

"Was I that obvious?" I pouted as Krystal nodded her head, causing me to chuckle. "I'm not on talking terms with Harabeoji at the moment. Because of Yuri's wedding. But it's nothing serious though."

I explained further about the reason to the hostility between me and Harabeoji as Krystal let out a sigh before she leaned back against the passenger seat.

"Don't worry too much. No matter what, I would still need to look for him to seek his advice on work matters. But maybe I'll do so after Yuri's wedding."

"Then how about this arranged marriage? What if your Habeoji is inclined into agreeing to it? Furthermore, it's a marriage that can save his company." Krystal questioned me as I just smiled at her worried look.

"I have a gut feeling that Harabeoji is not going to agree to it. Jihyun herself is not agreeable to the idea which is why she insisted to meet me immediately after finding out about it. She didn't want to create any misunderstanding between me and her. She also knew that my heart already belongs to you."

Krystal still had that worried look on her face so I leaned forward and kissed her on her lips when the car stopped at a red light. She was surprised by my actions and blushed a little before turning to her side to face the window momentarily.

When the traffic light turned green, I was about to continue driving when Krystal placed her hand on my arm.

"How about we go and visit your grandparents now?"

"Now?" I tried to reconfirm her suggestion as Krystal nodded her head while I stole a glance at the watch on my dashboard. "But it's almost 10pm. By the time we reached there, they might already be asleep."

"Why don't you call and check with them? Maybe they're still awake." Krystal suggested again as I frowned a little.

"If I called and they knew that we wanted to come, obviously they would stay up to wait for us, right?"

Krystal pouted and nodded her head slowly, reluctant to agree with my statement. Once again she looked out of the window while I shifted my attention to the road ahead. Silence creeped in between us as both of us were lost in our own thoughts until we reached the carpark to Jessica's apartment. Krystal removed her seat belt and was about to open the car door when I held her wrist.

"I'll make arrangement for us to meet my grandparents, okay?" I gave her an assuring smile but Krystal just nodded her head without looking at me.

"Good night, Eunjin. Drive safely."

With that, she pulled her hand and exited from the car. She didn't even turned to look at me or wave me goodbye as I just observed from a distance and waited until she disappeared behind the lift doors.

Letting out a sigh, I grabbed my handphone and typed a message to Halmeoni.

Halmeoni.... Are you already asleep? - Eunjin

Thinking that I might not be getting a reply so soon, I was about to turn the car keys when my phone vibrated.

Not yet. Me and your Harabeoji were just about to watch a movie at the basement. Wae? - Halmeoni

When I read Halmeoni's reply, I regretted my decision for not following Krystal's suggestion. Since my grandparents were planning to watch a movie, that would mean they would still be awake for at least two hours from now.

Is everything okay, Eunjin? You know you can always talk to me, right? - Halmeoni

Another message arrived when I didn't reply Halmeoni's previous message.

Everything is fine, Halmeoni. I was thinking of having lunch or dinner with you and Harabeoji, along with Krystal. She wants to meet both of you since she's back home for the semester break. I guess she misses you both. - Eunjin

I knew I was hiding the truth from Halmeoni but it's not a total lie. Krystal did want to see them.

Anything is fine with both of us. Just tell me the date and time so that I can prepare delicious food for both of you. - Halmeoni

I'll get back to you on that as soon as possible. Take care, Halmeoni and send my regards to Harabeoji. Love you both. - Eunjin

After sending that last message to Halmeoni, I typed a message to Krystal asking her if she's free to have dinner at my grandparent's place tomorrow. I waited for a few minutes but when there was no reply from her, I decided to make my way home, thinking that she might be taking a shower at the moment.

************************

Krystal's POV

As the lift doors closed in front of me, I finally let out a heavy sigh before looking up to the ceiling. My eyes was becoming teary but lucky for me, I'm the only one inside. The whole conversation inside the car flashed through my mind again as I felt more suffocated. Once the lift opened, I quickly rushed out before taking in a deep breathe.

I didn't want my sister to suspect anything so I made sure that I looked fine before I made my way to the door. As expected, Unnie and Yuri-unnie were at the living room, doing some preparations for the wedding this weekend. I gave them a smile as I sat down beside Unnie.

"Need my help?"

"It's okay, Soojungie. We're almost done here. But you will need to accompany me tomorrow. I have my spa and massage session tomorrow followed by my manicure and pedicure session."

"Are you getting stress out?" I teased my sister as Yuri-unnie chuckled.

"Your sister is very nervous since the wedding is this weekend. I kept telling her that everything is under control but she kept asking me to double check everything with the wedding planner almost everyday." Yuri-unnie chuckled again as I noticed a cold glare from my Unnie.

"You're going to make the wedding planner run away with your constant nagging, Unnie."

"Yah!!! Don't scare me with that idea. What if she really runs away?" Jessica-unnie slapped my shoulder's lightly before pouting as both me and Yuri-unnie giggled at her nervousness. "By the way, how's the shopping? How come I didn't notice any shopping bags with you?"

It was only then that I realised all my shopping bags were left behind in Eunjin's car since I just walked away earlier.

"Omo.. I left it all in Eunjin's car."

Both my sister and Yuri-unnie started laughing at my blunder as I just chuckled nervously. I quickly excused myself to get to my room while they continued laughing at me. I was just glad that they didn't noticed my slightly red eyes.

I was about to grab my towel to shower when my phone vibrated.

Are you free for dinner with me and my grandparents tomorrow? - Eunjin

I could only stare at the message as I was reminded once again about the arranged marriage. I remembered the kidnapping incident that happened to Eunjin before. Even though, I knew that it would not happen again because I believe that Ms Kang was a better person than that guy but I couldn't shake away the fear of losing Eunjin again. 

I thought about the company, the staff that were working there, the uncertain future for everyone and I felt a sudden burden on my shoulders. The fact that Ms Kang's father had approached Harabeoji directly to propose the idea, it made me felt like he had big plans for both companies. When I heard about it in the car, I was really desperate to hear from Harabeoji about his decision with regards to the arranged marriage.

But Eunjin didn't seem to bothered about it. She sounded confident that her Harabeoji would not agree to it but did she forgot that her Harabeoji could be unpredictable? What if he decided to go ahead with the plan to save his company?

I was at least assured that Ms Kang herself was not agreeable to the idea but that could be because she knew Eunjin was attached. If I was not in the picture, would she have agreed to the idea? I could see from the way she looked at Eunjin. There was a certain admiration from her towards my girlfriend.

Another vibration was felt from my phone as Eunjin messaged me to inform that she had reached home safely. She also said that she would be taking a shower first and told me to sleep early if I was feeling tired from all the shopping today.

By the way, you left your shopping bags in the car. I'll send it over to your sister's place before going to work tomorrow. - Eunjin

Feeling guilty for not replying to her messages from just now, I finally told her that I've already made plans to spend time with Unnie tomorrow for her wedding preparations. With regards to the dinner plans, I told her that I couldn't confirm about being able to make it since I'm not aware by what time would the sessions with Unnie end.

Inside my heart, I was dying to meet her grandparents but I've already promised Unnie to accompany her so I'm torn in between at the moment. I was about to put my phone aside when another message came in which put a big smile on my face.

I know you really want to hear about Harabeoji's decision with regards to the arranged marriage and I don't want to make you feel anxious longer than you should so keep me updated about your plans tomorrow. I promise you that we will sort this arranged marriage thing as soon as possible. Have a good rest. I love you. - Eunjin

I love you too. And thank you for being so understanding. - Krystal