Chapter 43

Hard But Easy

"I just remembered something. Why did you let out a deep sigh at Twin towers last night?" Krystal asked as I arched my eyebrow, trying to remember. "You said that you were fine but I don't believe you. There's something that was on your mind while Appa was talking to Yuri-unnie."

"Ahhh..." I finally remembered when she mentioned about Appa Jung and Yuri. "I was thinking about my dad. Seeing how cool your Appa was, I suddenly missed my Appa. He would be as cool as Appa Jung if he was still alive."

I was surprised when Krystal scooted closer to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. 'This girl has been showing a lot of skinship lately.' I thought to myself as I just smiled at Krystal.

"Of course your dad would be cool and awesome. Just like you."

"Woah... since when did you become so cheesy and clingy?" I chuckled and teased Krystal before pinching her cheek softly.

At the moment, both of us were at the hospital lobby, waiting for Doctor Ahn to finish her surgery. After Harabeoji and Halmeoni had heard about how I was not experiencing any anxieties while in the car, they urged me to check with Doctor Ahn about my condition. Just like how Shin Hye had suggested to me. So Krystal and I had left the house at around 4pm to meet up with Doctor Ahn at the hospital.

"Since I got to know you." Krystal meronged at me as I placed my palm on my heart, pretending to be hurt by her words. "Next time, don't hide your feelings from me."

I nodded my head before telling her about my conversation with Harabeoji earlier.

"He cried while asking for my forgiveness with regards to his treatment towards me all this while and also for his treatment to my parents. I told him that Appa and Omma had never held any grudges towards him since they've never badmouthed about him to me. Harabeoji said that he was proud of me. For growing up to be a fine person and I told him that it was due to the upbringing of my parents. Even though they had left me early, but during the short 10yrs that I was able to spend with them, I learnt a lot about love and the importance of the people around you."

"But I'm still amaze at how awesome a person you are. I've always tried to imagine myself in your shoes and everytime I did that, I will end up feeling upset and lonely. I can never understand how you manage to live through all that." Krystal said.

"I was not totally alone, remember? I had my late grandma with me when I was in Tokyo. Even though she was not that well-to-do and was always busy with her work, she did whatever she could and try to be there for me. But I was already independent since the time when my parents were still alive. Being the only child, there's a lot of things and feelings that you can't really share but it made me appreciate the freedom that I had. And when I was back in Seoul, I had Halmeoni. Even though she was also not always there for me, but I'm thankful for her care and concern."

"How did I manage to make such an awesome person to fall for me?" Krystal pouted and leaned back into the chair as I chuckled.

"You must have saved a nation in your previous life." I answered with a serious expression and Krystal was about to smack my shoulder when we heard Doctor Ahn's voice.

I was again surprised when I saw how close Krystal was to Doctor Ahn as both of them shared a hug and started to chat with each other without caring about my presence. I had to pretend to cough to grab their attention before they laughed when I pouted at them.

"Someone is being sulky and acting like a jealous kid." Doctor Ahn said as Krystal replied that I reacted the same way earlier when we were at Harabeoji's place earlier. "Silly kid. Obviously, Krystal would become closer to them after she helped to look after your Halmeoni when you were not around. She was here in the hospital when Halmeoni woke up from her coma."

Both of them giggled again before Doctor Ahn gestured for us to follow her to her room. Once we were inside, Doctor Ahn removed the shoulder brace and took a look at my injury. When Doctor Ahn swiped my fringe to the side, I noticed a frown on Krystal face. She had seen the scar on my forehead before so I was curious of her reaction.

"What's with the frown?" I asked her as she told me that everytime she saw the scar, she's reminded of how I had gotten it in the first place.

"It makes me sad when I'm reminded of it." Krystal replied as I by saying that I should get a plastic surgery to look better. "You look as fine as before except for that additional scar. I didn't comment anything about your looks so why do you need to look better? Who are you planning to impress anyway?"

The glare that came from Krystal's eyes caused me to swallow hard my saliva as Doctor Ahn laughed at my misfortune. Doctor Ahn added oil to the fire when she commented that I must have been a charmer when I was in school.

"Doctor Ahn! You're suppose to protect me." I argued as she laughed again while Krystal folded her arms. "Don't believe her. I was a nerd in school. A hermit. I don't mingle around with anyone."

Krystal ended up laughing along with Doctor Ahn while I sighed in relief before breaking into a smile.

************************

Have you had your lunch? - Krystal

Feeling a vibration in my jeans pocket, I wiped the grease in my hands before taking out my phone. After I had read the message, I smiled to myself and typed a reply.

Yup. Yuri went out to get some pizza for us. It's been quiet in the workshop. There's not even a single customer since morning. By the way, what time will you be ending your class today? Are you really coming to fetch me from work later? I can just hitch a ride with Taeng or Yul. - Eunjin

Placing my phone back into my jeans pocket, I made my way to the centre couch where Yuri and Taeyeon were busy playing games on their phone. I was already back to work 4 days after I had returned but since I was still wearing the shoulder brace, Sunny didn't allow me to do any repair works. Instead she asked me to do menial tasks such as rearranging the tool box or cleaning the tools.

Krystal had dropped me off at the workshop earlier in the morning before going off to school. She had been spending the last few nights at my apartment and had volunteered to fetch me from work later. She said that since her exams were over, she didn't have much classes left and was only waiting for her graduation day.

"Is Krystal planning to continue staying with you at the apartment?"

I shrugged my shoulders and leaned back into the couch.

"I think Krystal wants to take care of Eunjin until she had her shoulder brace removed. But even so, you should still be careful with your shoulder after the brace is removed." Taeyeon advised me as I nodded my head.

Of course, I am. Do you rather spend your time with them instead of me? *insert a pout* - Krystal

I laughed out loud at Krystal's reply, causing Taeyeon and Yuri to be curious as they tried to steal a peek at my phone but I kept moving my phone around so we ended up tussling with each other.

"Are the 3 of you very free at the moment?"

Sunny's voice echoed in the garage as we stopped moving before she told us to meet her in her office. I noticed Taeyeon and Yuri nudging each other by the elbow but both of them kept a straight face as the 3 of us walked into Sunny's office.

"Take a seat. I'll keep it short and simple." Sunny said before letting out a heavy sigh. "The workhop will be closing by the end of this month."

"Mwo?" I was the only one who reacted to the statement as I turned to look at Yuri and Taeyeon. "Both of you knew about this?"

They nodded their heads before they explained to me about the meeting that they had a few days before I came back. As I listened to their explanation, I had to let out a sigh too.

"Is your dad planning to sell away this place since he already has another workshop to concentrate on?" I asked Sunny who shrugged her shoulders. "How about the both of you? Have you decide to work with Mr Lee?"

Yuri and Taeyeon looked at each other before shaking their heads.

"Both of them had not given their decision yet about working there. I did told them that if they received better offer outside, they should go for it. Furthermore, both of them majors in subjects that had got nothing to do with cars." Sunny pointed at both of the girls who were grinning dorkily. "They worked in the workshop because of their interest and also because I'm in charge here."

"What do both of you major in?" I asked.

"Bachelor in NAOE. Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering." Yuri replied while Taeyeon said that hers was Bachelor of  Fine Arts.

"Fine Arts?" I repeated her answer as Taeyeon just grinned dorkily. "What the hell are you doing in a garage?"

"Yuri, remember when we had just started of this workshop and we have a catalogue of car decals and customised stickers?" Sunny asked Yuri who nodded her head. "She's the one who designed all those. But she doesn't allow anyone to know about it except for me."

"That was her designs? Yah!! Why did you hide it from us? I would have promoted those decals eagerly if I had known that it was done by you. By the way, where is the catalogue book? I don't see it around nowadays."  Yuri said before explaining to me that the workshop used to provide such services but lately, it seemed like it had stopped.

"That is one of the reason as to why I didn't want any of you to know. I didn't want you all to push the customers too hard into buying them. Furthermore, I'm not really confident that my designs were nice. As you can see, not much customers are asking for it." Taeyeon explained as I repeated Yuri's question about the whereabouts of the catalogue book. "It's in my locker. I kept it there after no one seemed interested in it."

"Taeng, can I see it?" I asked as Taeyeon hesitated before she finally agreed.

After Taeyeon left to the locker room. I asked Sunny about her major and it was not surprising when she said that she had a Degree in Business Administration. I asked if she was planning to work for her dad after the workshop closed but even she herself had not decided anything yet.

Taeyeon came back with the catalogue and handed over to me. As I looked through the designs, I noticed that most of it had skulls designs in it so I asked her about it. She replied that she found skulls intriguing.

"Omo... Taeng has a dark side hidden behind her innocent looks." Yuri teased as all of us burst out laughing.

"Isn't there anyway that we can keep this place? I feel so sad thinking that I can no longer come back here one day. This place holds so much memories for me. For all of us." Taeyeon commented after the laughter died down.

The silence in the room was interrupted by the ringing of my phone as I grinned when I saw the caller's name on my screen.

"Hello?... We're in Sunny's office at the moment... Just come in.. All of us are in here." I ended the call and kept it in my pocket.

"Who was that?" Yuri asked as I answered that it was Krystal. "She's here?"

"She came to fetch me from work." I had a proud grin on my face while Yuri, Sunny and Taeyeon scowled in envy. "Which is why I was thinking of getting a car. The one that Krystal is using was actually Jessica's old car. The last time I checked that car, it seemed that it won't last long."

"Oh yah, I just remembered. What did Doctor Ahn says about your condition?" Sunny asked while Yuri and Taeyeon shifted their attention to me.

Before I could reply, a knock on the door was heard before Krystal's head popped out behind it. Sunny ushered her in as Krystal made her way and sat beside me on the couch with a shy smile.

"Am I disturbing all of you?" Krystal asked as all of us shook our heads before I told her that we were just about to talk about my condition. "Your condition?"

"About how my condition might have cured by itself. Doctor Ahn said that there have been records of amaxophobia sufferers getting back to normal even though some takes a long time to do so. Because patients go through different therapy, their results usually differ from one another. She said that due to the kidnapping incident, where I was placed in a van and travelled a long distance in it without taking any medications, the possibility of my symptoms slowly disappearing was there. It was like expose therapy for me. The additional fact that I had actually came back alive from that awful encounter, had enforced a greater stability in my mindset about car rides, which might have offset the trauma."

As I ended my long explanation, I saw the blank expression on Yuri's and Taeyeon's faces but Sunny was nodding her head along to my words. I knew that both of them doesn't really understood everything but it didn't matter to me.

"So, have you made up your mind about the car that you plan to get?" Taeyeon asked as I shook my head.

"You're getting a car?" Krystal was surprised to find out as she arched her eyebrow and frowned at me. "We can just share my car."

"Your car will not be able to last long since I had it repaired when your Unnie was still using it. Furthermore, we won't have the luxury to use this workshop for repairs in the future since it's going to be closed down by the end o f the month."

The gasp from Krystal was evident of her surprise as Sunny explained about the whole situation to her. It was almost 7pm when all of us left the office to head home.

************************

"Try moving your shoulder slowly. See if it hurts anywhere." Doctor Ahn instructed as I followed her instruction. "Everything okay?"

"It seems a little stiff at the moment. I'm not sure if it's because of the braces or because of the injury. But other than that, I don't feel any pain."

"Are you certain about it?" Krystal interrupted, looking very concerned at the moment.

We were at the hospital again to remove my shoulder brace and to check with Doctor Ahn to ensure that everything was fine. Since it was a Saturday, Krystal had volunteered to drive me to the hospital even though I had initially asked Uncle Park to send me.

"You need to make sure that everything is really okay." Krystal looked really serious at the moment. "Doctor Ahn, what if she starts feeling discomfort? Maybe not now, but later. What should I do? Is there any medication, painkiller or anything?"

I stared at Krystal with a blank expression and my mouth agape before turning to face Doctor Ahn who was smiling at me. 

"Are you sure she's not your wife? She sounded like one though." Doctor Ahn had a teasing smirk on her face.

"She's a wifey material. And I'm glad she's mine." I replied with a dorky grin before me and Doctor Ahn started laughing.

Krystal pouted and folded her arms, looking sulky before I turned to look at her and smile. Apologising for teasing her but also thanking her for her concern, Doctor Ahn explained that if I really felt any discomfort later, Krystal should just take a cold pack and pressed it on the discomfort area. If the pain persisted, we should return to the hospital and let her check on it.

We left the hospital an hour later after Krystal was assured that everything was in order. After we had lunch at a nearby restaurant, I told Krystal to drop by the workshop for a while as I had left something behind yesterday. When we arrived, Yuri was under a car while Taeyeon was seated at the couch, looking through some paperworks.

"Hey, Taeng. New customer?" I asked as I pointed to the car which Yuri was currently checking.

"Anni. One of our regular customer. She claimed that there's some leakage underneath which is why Yuri is checking on it." Taeyeon answered before she waved at Krystal.

"What's wifth all those papers?" I sat down and grabbed a few pieces from the table. "Job application forms?"

Taeyeon nodded her head before letting out a sigh. "Me and Yuri didn't feel good about going to Mr Lee's place to work when he already have so many workers under him. Furthermore, we're not actually that qualified to be a mechanic. Unlike you."

I nodded my head and heard some movement near the car before Yuri appeared from underneath it. Her hands were greasy and there were oil stains on some part of her face as she grinned at us.

"How's the shoulder?" Yuri asked as I told her that everything was fine except for it being a little stiff. "It'll go off soon. Anyway, I saw your stuff that you asked Taeng to do. Not bad. She's really good at it."

Yuri did a thumbs up to Taeyeon who only managed to smile before she told me to wait for a minute while she went to the locker to get my stuff.

"What did you ask Taeyeon-unnie to do for you?" Krystal asked as I told her that it's a surprise.

When Taeyeon came out with a big box in her hand, Krystal's frown appeared on her face but it was replaced with gasps when she saw what was inside it.

"The red one is yours and the other one is mine." I pointed out to the two helmets that was placed neatly in the box. "Customised designs, courtesy of Kim Taeyeon."

(Imagine that these two helmets were designed by Taeyeon.)

XHCBN004-BEON-Motorcycle-Helmets-safety- XHCBN002-BEON-Motorcycle-Helmets-safety-

 

"This is so cool. It's a couple helmet, right?" Krystal asked as I nodded my head. "But I thought you said that you wanted to buy a car?"

"I did. But I never mentioned about not riding anymore." I smirked at her as Krystal continued to admire her new helmet. "By the way, what's with 'BEON'?"

"When you pronounced it, doesn't it sound like 'Beyond'?" Taeyeon asked me as I nodded my head. "Just something that I thought of suddenly. Taeyeon, Beon."

She laughed out like a kid at her own childish explanation but I told her that it was actually kind of cool. Even Yuri agreed to my opinion. When I asked them about the job seeking process, both of them looked a little disheartened though.

"The fact that all 4 of us would have to find jobs separately, are already making me feel upset." Yuri commented.

"You might be helping out at your Harabeoji's company, Sunny might be helping out at her father's. Yuri was thinking of helping her father too if none of the jobs is of her interest. While for me..." Taeyeon sighed and pouted before shaking her head, as if she's resigned to her fate.

"Don't think too much about it, Taeng. Maybe something good will come out from all this." I smiled at her and patted her shoulder. "I'll make a move first. Harabeoji had made a reservation to celebrate my birthday in advance at a restaurant tonight. So I need to get ready even though I'm upset that Krystal didn't want to join me."

I pouted as Krystal pinched my cheeks, reminding me that she had some family matters to attend to which was why she couldn't accompany me.

************************

Even though my birthday would be tomorrow, Harabeoji wanted to have an early dinner celebration. So after Krystal sent me home from the workshop, I showered and put on the clothes that Krystal insisted I wore to the dinner tonight. Uncle Park was supposed to fetch me from my apartment but I was surprised when I saw Shin Hye in the car too.

"Shin Hye?" I asked as the girl smiled and waved at me from the back seat. "When did you arrive?"

As I made my way to the passenger seat and pulled the seat belt over me, I saw Shin Hye pouting when I turned around. Uncle Park was the one who answered my question by saying that he had just fetched her straight from the airport.

"You've just arrived? Aren't you jetlagged?" I turned my head again to wait for her reply.

"Don't you find it troublesome to keep turning behind to talk to me? Can't you just seat at the back with me?" Shin Hye asked before pouting again as Uncle Park drove off from the lobby of my apartment.

"I have a jealous partner to take care of." I chuckled as Uncle Park laughed along. "By the way, you look cute in that outfit."

(Imagine this is what Shin Hye was wearing.)

cc08dbdbdce86db5c0f995d427c5787d.jpg

"You've removed the shoulder brace? How was it? Does your shoulder still hurts?" Shin Hye asked as I told her that I had just got it removed yesterday and everything seemed to be alright. "Try not to overwork your shoulder for at least another week. Just to make sure that the injury has fully recovered."

I nodded my head and thanked her for her concern as the 3 of us continued talking before we reached a five star hotel. Once everyone exited from the car, we made our way to the lift as Uncle Park informed me that dinner would be held at the open rooftop of the hotel.

"Harabeoji really knows how to spend his money." I commented. "By the way Uncle Park, will you and Shin Hye be joining us? How about Aunt Nancy?"

"Everyone is here to celebrate with you." Uncle Park said with a smile that seemed to be hiding something from me.

"Everyone?" I arched my eyebrow and looked at Uncle Park. "You made it sound like there's going to be a lot of people when it's only going to be Harabeoji, Halmeoni and me."

Just at that moment, the lift door opened and my eyes widened when I saw so many familiar faces in front of me. As if on que, all of them shouted happy birthday at the same time, causing me to blink my eyes repeatedly. The Kwon family was there. Sunny and Taeyeon with their respective parents. Sooyoung, Tiffany and staff from Twin Towers, including Sulli and Luna were there too.

From a distance, I saw Krystal standing alongside her sister and parents but her eyes were not on me. Instead, it was on Shin Hye who was standing beside me.

"Are you surprised?" Halmeoni walked up to me and gave me a hug as I nodded my head. "You looked stunned."

"I.. I... am. I didn't... I didn't know." I stammered as Harabeoji just smiled. "Thanks... Thank you. Thank you for all these."

I kept bowing my head to everyone that was there, thanking them for coming before Harabeoji invited them to start taking food from the buffet spread. I took the opportunity to distance myself and found a quiet spot as I looked up to the sky, trying to prevent the tears from flowing.