Chapter 86

Hard But Easy

"Do you actually have something against me?"

I looked up to face Harabeoji, who was seated behind his desk inside his study room before shaking my head to his question.

"Why does it seem that you're removing all the pioneers in the company? Especially those whom I had employed when I just started in the company. They are like brothers to me. They've been with me through thick and thin."

"I understand that you're close to them but they're taking advantage of the connections and close relations that you have with them. They're not showing good leadership in their own departments." I replied to Harabeoji before explaining further about what I had found out from the workers in the Finance and Logistics Department.

"So you're going to believe those junior workers than the people who had spent 20 over years of their life to the company? So what if they produced the works done by their subordinates and get acknowledged for it? The acknowledgement is taken on their subodinates's behalf since we communicate more among the top management level. If their department does well, it's because they have been leading the team well." 

A frown appeared on my face as I disliked the mentality of Harabeoji. I folded my arms and stared hard at him without saying anything.

"You can't always be around at every department to see how the workers are. Let their Head of Department take care of that. You should get updates of the workers from the Head of Departments instead. It's more efficient." Harabeoji tried to suggest as I just continue to remain in silent. "You need to learn to delegate your work among your workers. There's a hierarchy system."

"What if there are favoritism in the system? Does that mean the ones who couldn't get in the good books of their in-charge will suffer, even though they did their part in contributing to the company?" I shot a question to Harabeoji who seemed to be taken aback by it. "The reason as to why you're siding with the Head of Logistics and Head of Finance is because both of them used to be your favourite juniors, right?"

"Han Eunjin! Are you accusing me of being bias?" Harabeoji seemed a little angry but I maintained my composure. "What matters is that things get done as scheduled. How they do it or who did it, it's not important."

"I beg to differ, Harabeoji. That is not the way I lead the company. Efforts are recognised and appreciated, even if you're just a junior worker in the company. Everybody should be treated equally no matter what post they're holding. If they do their work well, they'll be applauded but if not, they'll be dismissed. Even if they are the Heads of the Department."

"Are you telling me that you're going to fire them for not attending a company's meeting? Don't be stupid, Eunjin. They're going to sue you for unfair dismissal." Harabeoji's tone of voice sound a little threatening to me.

"I'm not stupid and I know what I'm doing. But if you don't agree to whatever decision that I'm going to make for the good of the company, maybe you should take back the company and do whatever you want with it. Just for your info, I'm not that petty to fire them for missing a meeting. You might want to check with your favourite 'brothers' about what they have been doing with the company funds for the past 10yrs. And just in case they will try to cover up everything, I've sent you a soft copy to look through the records. Good night, Harabeoji." 

I turned around and walked out of his study room before making my way down to the first floor. Halmeoni was seated at the couch in the living room as I made my way towards her.

"Halmeoni, I'm going back now. Thank you for dinner earlier and take care of yourself."

"You're not staying the night here? But it's almost midnight now. You still need to work tomorrow so why don't you just stay here so that you could have a longer rest." Halmeoni stood up and looked at me with concern. "Did you fight with Harabeoji?"

"Anni. Just discussing some work matters. It's okay, Halmeoni. I need to do some stuff at home so it's best for me to go. I'll see you around, okay."

"Arraseo. Ride safely then. Send my regards to Krystal if you're planning to call her later or whenever you keep in touch with her." Halmeoni held out both her arms, gesturing me to give her a hug which I did so. "Don't be angry with your Harabeoji. You should know his character better."

I only nodded my head to Halmeoni's words before making my way to my bike, which was parked at the garage. As I walked nearer to my bike, I came to realised that the bike looked a little worn out even though it was still in a good condition. I realised that the bike has been with me for almost 10yrs.

"Should I get myself a car?"

************************

"Will you be free to join me for dinner today?"

"Dinner? Even if I'm not free, I will make sure that I find time to meet you." I chuckled through the phone as I noticed curious eyes looking at me. "I'll see you tonight then."

Even before I could manage to put my phone on the table, I was already bombarded with questions asking me about who I was talking to and if I was cheating behind Krystal.

"Sica is going to kill you if she finds out about this." Yuri shook her head with disbelief in her eyes.

"Yah!!! Do you think if I was really cheating behind Krystal's back, I would speak freely like that in front of her sister-in-law?" I rebutted as Taeyeon nodded her head to my remarks. 

"Was it Ms Kang?" Sunny tried to guess. 

"Why would I talk that way to her?" I replied to her question before shaking my head. "It's Uncle Park, guys."

"Uncle Park? You're having a scandal with him?" Taeyeon looked really shocked while Yuri and Sunny looked at her with scrutinizing eyes. "Wae? Did I say something wrong?"

She ended up with a napkin on her face which I threw at her before Yuri and Sunny laughed out loud. The four of us were having our lunch together when Uncle Park gave me a call.

"Uncle Park and his family are here for a short holiday so he wanted to meet me while he's here. He's going to visit Harabeoji and Halmeoni tomorrow but he knows that I won't want to join them, since they'll most probably talked about older times."

"His family? So that means his daughter is here too?" Yuri asked as I nodded my head. "His daughter who has a crush on you."

I rolled my eyes at Yuri's comments before she continued asking if I was going to inform Krystal about this dinner appointment. "Of course I will inform her. I even told her about this lunch that I'm having with you guys."

"This lunch too? Whipped." Taeyeon commented which caused Yuri and Sunny to laugh at me. "You're not even married yet. Imagine once you're married, you even have to pick up her dry-cleaning during lunch."

Automatically. my eyes went to the paperbags that was placed just beside Taeyeon as Yuri and Sunny did the same thing. The 3 of us started laughing as we realised that Taeyeon was actually talking about herself.

"By the way, it's almost the end of the week already. Did the Head of Logistics and Head of Finance get back to you about the documents?" Sunny asked as I shook my head. "How about Harabeoji? Did he say anything?"

"He messaged me last night to say that he will leave everything to me to decide." 

"As expected. Your Harabeoji is really fickle-minded. He's always saying one thing and end up doing another thing." Taeyeon grumbled as I just smiled. 

We continued chatting for another 10mins before we made our way back to our office. While walking through the lobby, we met Hyuna who was waiting for the lift. She waved at us and started to ask about lunch. I knew that she was making her intention clear that she was wanted to talk to me by looking at me when she talked but Taeyeon, Yuri and Sunny took turns to answer her.

"Hey, Boss. Your lift is here. Go on then. Take care." Sunny commented as she pushed me towards the lift that will go straight to my office.

Chuckling to myself, I waved at the rest and closed the lift door as I noticed Hyuna's pouting expression. Soon enough,  a few messages came in through our group chat.

Did you see how she immediately stop talking to us the moment Eunjin left? - Yuri

I know, right. Cunning woman. - Taeyeon

That's why I quickly pushed Eunjin into the lift. Honestly speaking, when I first started to work here, I hated the idea of this personal lift for the Director because I need to take the lift down to the lobby from my office just to take that personal lift. But it seems helpful in times like this. - Sunny

Do you think the reason as to why Harabeoji had that personal lift built was because he wanted to avoid certain people? - Yuri

Anni. Harabeoji hated the idea of sharing and having to waste time to get to his own office. Because if he used the other lifts, he might be stopping at almost every level. - Eunjin

I see. Good foresight. By the way, we won't be meeting up after work right, since Eunjin is going to meet up with Uncle Park and family? I need to confirm so that I can inform Fany if I was going to pick her up later. - Taeyeon

Whipped. - Sunny

My exact sentiments. - Yuri

Like as if you're not whipped too, Kwon Yuri. - Taeyeon

Is this how marriage life is supposed to be? I'm having my doubts. hahaha... - Eunjin

The lift reached my office and I was surprised to see Ms Jeon there. She was standing at the round meeting table and arranging a few stacks of documents. She knew I was there as she turned around to greet me. 

"What's all this?" I asked the moment I reached the table but when I saw the documents, I straight away knew what it was. "So they managed to complete it? That's good."

"Only the Head of Logistics came to hand me these documents by himself." Ms Jeon replied before explaining further that the old man had came to pass her the documents before lunch without saying a word. "Are you going to go through these later?"

"I will. But maybe not today. I have a dinner appointment with Uncle Park after work later so I don't want to be engrossed in my checkings and forget about the appointment. I'll do it tomorrow." 

"Just let me know if you need my help tomorrow when you're doing the checks." Ms Jeon offered her help as I nodded my head before thanking her.

After Ms Jeon left, I took out my phone and sent a message to Krystal with regards to my dinner appointment before putting the phone aside to continue my work. 30mins later, a reply came in from Krystal.

Uncle Park? Is he on a business trip or just travelling around? - Krystal

He's here on a short holiday with his family. He had planned to visit Harabeoji and Halmeoni tomorrow but he knew that I won't want to join them since they'll most probably talked about the old times together. Which is why he asked me to join him for dinner tonight. - Eunjin

If he's here with his family, that means his daughter will be there too? - Krystal

I guess so. I didn't really asked who will be there during dinner. He only mentioned that he'll be with his family. Wae? - Eunjin

Nothing. Enjoy your dinner later and send my regards to Uncle Park and Aunt Nancy. - Krystal

I can't enjoy my dinner if you're hiding your true emotions. You've asked about his daughter so I guess something must have crossed your mind. Am I right? - Eunjin

I'm just not that comfortable knowing that Uncle Park's daughter is there. I can see that she has a thing for you. - Krystal

She's engaged. - Eunjin

Really? How come you never mention it to me before? - Krystal

I'm talking about myself. Just in case you've forgotten, I'm already engaged to you. Isn't that enough to prove that you're the one for me? - Eunjin

The messages stopped for a good 20mins before my phone started vibrating continuously. It was a call from Krystal so I quickly answered it.

"Hi swee..."

"I'm sorry."

I was stunned momentarily with Krystal's words after she intercepted my greetings to her. I didn't know what to say but Krystal seemed to have more things to say as she continued talking.

"I shouldn't be feeling so insecure about it. It's not that I'm doubting you though." Krystal's tone of voice sounded remorseful as a smile appeared on my face.

"I understand. It's okay to express your true feelings. I'm okay with it. Being jealous means that I'm precious to you. right?"

"You are. You're very precious to me." Krystal answered quickly as I chuckled at her reaction.

"Glad to know that. Anyway, what are you doing? Not asleep yet?" I asked as she replied that she had just finish her assignments. "Get some rest then. And don't worry too much. I won't misbehave."

I heard her giggle as she apologised once again before ending the conversation.

************************

As I stared into the mirror in front of me while brushing my teeth, the conversation that I had with Uncle Park kept going through my mind. A frown immediately appeared as I let out a sigh before rinsing my mouth. I was getting ready for work as I exited the bathroom to change into my office attire.

45 mins later, I was already at my desk with a pile of documents in front of me. It was the documents that Ms Jeon had handed over to me yesterday. Taking a deep breath, I was about to reach out to the pile of papers when my office phone rang.

"Good morning, Ms Han. I've just received a call from the receptionist at the lobby that the Head of Logistics is requesting to see you. Will you be free to attend to him?" Ms Jeon spoke through the phone as she waited for my reply.

"Head of Logistics? He's alone? Bring him up then."

Once I put down the phone, I continued to grab the papers in front of me and flipped through it while I waited for them to arrive. The sound of lift was heard about 10mins later as I looked up to see Ms Jeon walking in with an elder man.

"Mr Ok, I heard that you had requested for this meet-up so how can I assist you?" I stood up and gestured for him to take a seat in front of me as I held out my hand for a handshake.

"Ms Han, thank you for agreeing to meet me even though it's a last minute request." He paused for a while as I saw his eyes taking a glance on the documents on the table. "Are you going through the documents again?"

"Yes, I am. Wae?" I asked him out of curiosity as he let out a sigh.

"Can we talk in private?" He turned to look at Ms Jeon who in turn, locked her gaze on me.

"Ms Jeon is my secretary. She knows everything that is happening in this company. I have no problem about her presence here at the moment." I replied firmly as Mr Ok just nodded his head slowly. "So what is it do you want to talk about, Mr Ok?"

"Have you actually went through the records before giving it to us for checks?" He asked in an awkward tone and it seemed like he was picking his choices of words.

"You mean all of these?" I pointed to the stack of documents in front of me, to which Mr Ok nodded his head. "Yes I did. Is there a problem?"

"Just like what I had expected. If you had gone through the records, that means you would have found out about the discrepancies in the records throughout the years. So why did you actually even asked us to go through it? What's your motive?"

"Discrepancies? Is that what you called it because I called it embezzlement of the company funds. My motive? I was planning to fire both of you after the meeting that day but you both didn't attend. I asked you to recheck the records to let you know that I'm already aware of the situation and I wanted to see what else do the both of you have up your sleeves. That is besides complaining to my Harabeoji about what I had asked both of you to do."

"Your Harabeoji? Mr Han?" Mr Ok looked genuinely surprised as a frown appeared on his face. "I didn't complain anything to him. I haven't even contacted him for a few months. Don't tell me.." He paused again before letting out a sigh. "Ms Han, since you're already aware about what had been going on all these years, I sincerely apologised for what I did. Due to my greed and because I really thought that Shin will always have my back, I agreed to help him out. Please do not fire me. Let me resign from this company. All these years, I've never felt proud of what I did and I felt worse when your Harabeoji treats us so well. But please. Please don't fire me. I won't know how or what to say to my family if they knew what I had done all these years."

A deep frown appeared on my face as I turned to face Ms Jeon. "Could you serve us some drinks?" The moment she walked away, I stood up and gestured Mr Ok to follow me to the small meeting area at the side of my office.

"Mr Ok. Could you kindly explained to me how and when did all these started? Because I have my own resources who told me that you're not the mastermind behind it. I'm actually glad that you came forward to look for me, with regards to this matter."

As both of us took our seats, Ms Jeon arrived with some drinks and I asked her to excuse us for a while. I felt that Mr Ok needed that privacy to tell me the truth which was why I sent Ms Jeon away. I told him to have his drink first before explaining to me.

"Ten years ago, Shin came to approach me a few months after both of us were promoted to our current position. Both me and him were close with each other since we were employed to work at the company at the same time. We went training together and he said that he was close to the Director of the company because they were from the same University. Shin said that he had found a way for us to earn extra money but he needed my help. Those times, even though you hold quite a high position in the company, your pay is not actually that big. The company were not doing so well at that time and there were a lot of competitions around."

"So let me guess, Mr Shin proposed to embezzle the company funds by asking you to amend the logistics records of the company?" I intercepted his stories as he nodded his head. "He's a clever man. He used another department's records to hide his deeds because I didn't find any errors in his finance records. But I did find some suspicious links with both department's records, whereby he would just approved anything that was submitted to him by you even though it was obvious that there was amendments done to the records."

"That was the plan. Those logistics accounts that requires finance department approval for funds will be sent to him for approval. So the extra money will all end up in our pocket. I don't know how he manage to get the Director to approval all his finance records but he just told me not to worry about that as he would take care of it." Once again, Mr Ok let out a heavy sigh as he looked down on the table. "I should have stopped doing all this when I can but it came to a point where it was too late to turn back. He started to blackmail me after I told him that I don't wish to continue doing so." 

"Blackmail you? With what?" 

"A few years after we started doing all these, I made a mistake of getting drunk and ended up sleeping with a stripper. I don't know how Shin found out about it but he threatened to inform my family about it."

I shook my head as the elderly man covered his face in embarassment. He must be feeling a lot of remorse at the moment as he didn't even dare to look at me.

"When I asked both of you to recheck the records, did Mr Shin asked you to do anything to it?" 

"He did. He asked me to check everything to ensure that you won't find out about what we had done. That was when I realised that the errors in the records was mostly on my side. If you were to find out about it, Shin could merely said that he was just following my logistics records and claims accordingly. Which is why I decided to come to you with the truth."

I clasped my hands together and looked at the elderly man in front of me. "Mr Ok, I'm not going to tolerate such behaviour in my company but since you have made the effort to speak the truth about it, I would not take any actions against you. I will respect your request of letting you resign from the company instead of firing you. I'm doing all these because of your friendship with my Harabeoji. He's aware of the situation too and has given me his full support with any decision that I'm making. So, please submit your resignation letter within the next 24hrs and I wish you all the best in your future."

With that, I stood up and stretched out my hand as he gladly took it. Thanking me for saving him some grace, he bowed his head before walking out of the office. Once he left, I took out my phone and called Harabeoji to inform him about what had happened. After hanging up the call, I dialed another number.

"Uncle Park, you were right. He was not the mastermind behind it." I said through the phone before once again repeating what I told Harabeoji to him. "I have asked him to submit his resignation letter within 24hrs. Now I will just what for the next action from Mr Shin. Thanks for the info, Uncle Park. I will update you again if there's further news."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

To all my readers, thank you for always supporting my stories and I apologised because I've been taking a longer time to updates my stories. It's the last day of 2017, a year full of memories which are either good or bad, happy or sad. No matter what those memories were, I hope that 2018 will be a better year for everyone. Not everything will go according to what you plan but have faith that it will turn out well, maybe better. Happy New Year to all my readers and once again, thank you for your continuous support.

p/s: I've already started drafting a new TaeNy story since June 2017 and there's actually Shinee members in it, all five of them. After Jonghyun's passing, I'm not sure if it's still okay for me to continue having him in that story. I want him to be part of it though because he's a great person and in a way, it's something to remember him of. But I'm not sure if readers will accept it as they might think it's disrespectful. What do you all think?