Chapter 23

Hard But Easy

"I'm really sorry. Please forgive me." Amber clasped both hands together and gave a pitiful look as Krystal let out a sigh.

"It's okay. It doesn't matter. It's not like I had a great birthday celebration anyway." Krystal replied as she started to keep her school belongings.

It's been almost a week since her birthday so Krystal was surprised when Amber came into her class after it ended and gave her a stalk of rose. Amber ended up apologising for forgetting to celebrate it with Krystal on the actual day itself.

"Why don't I celebrate it with you today? I will make sure that it's the best celebration that you'll never forget." Amber grinned widely but Krystal frowned.

"Today? But it's already 4.30pm. Don't you think it's already too late?" Krystal asked as Amber looked at her watch.

"How about tomorrow? I'll pick you up in the morning and I will send you back to your sister's apartment at the end of the day." Amber suggested.

"I'm not going to my sister's apartment this weekend." Krystal answered as Amber just nodded her head.

"That's even better. We can both return to the dorm together." Amber grinned dorkily, waiting for Krystal's reply.

"Fine. Pick me up at 10am tomorrow." Krystal replied before walking out of the classrom where Sulli and Luna were waiting for her.

Amber's POV

Waving my hands at her, I let out a sigh after Krystal disappeared from my sight. I was relieved that she had agreed to my suggestion. I scratched my head, scolding myself for forgetting her birthday.

"Stupid, Am. How can you remember her birthday wrongly? Luckily, when I handed her the rose, Sulli had intercepted my words. If not, Krystal would have found out the truth."

(Flashback)

"Hi Krystal. Hi girls."

I waved at the 3 girls as I walked into their classroom after their lecturer had left.

"This is for you." I gave her the stalk of red rose that I had hid behind my back. "Hap..."

"Do you think giving this rose would make Krystal forgive you for forgetting her birthday last week?" Sulli folded her arms and glared at me.

"Sulli, let's just give them some time alone." Luna quickly pulled the girl away. "Krystal, we'll wait for you outside."

I stood there blinking my eyes as I watched the two giirls walking away before turning my attention to Krystal who had a blank look. Immediately, I knew that something was not right and remembering what Sulli had said earlier, I quickly clasped my hands together and started apologising.

(End of flashback)

"Why did I keep thinking that her birthday was on the 31st October?" I scratched my head before suddenly realising something. "No wonder I messed it up. Ailee's birthday is on 30th May and I kept telling myself that Krystal's birthday was after Ailee's until I remembered the date wrongly."

I chuckled myself as I made my way to meet my schoolmates for a game of skateboarding, with my mind full of ideas on the outing tomorrow.

Krystal's POV

"So you agreed to go out with her?" Luna asked as I nodded my head.

We were already making our way to our dorm since our classes had ended for the day.

"Are you sure about not going back to your Unnie's apartment this week?" Sulli asked as once again I nodded my head. "Are you still upset with her?"

I shrugged my shoulders and let out a sigh. Ever since I walked away from Unnie near the main lobby last week, I've not spoken or message her at all. That was until this morning where I had left her a message saying that I won't be going back to her apartment this weekend. Unnie replied my message, asking me who else would be staying with me in the dorm but I didn't reply her.

"In that case, I'll stay in the dorm for the weekend." Luna said before Sulli also agreed to stay in.

"Both of you don't have to stay just because of me." I started to feel bad but they insisted with their decision, citing that they needed my help with their assignments.

"What do you think Amber had planned for you?" Sulli asked as she opened the door to our dorm since we've reached it.

"I'm not sure also. We'll just see how it goes." I replied as my phone suddenly rang. Looking down on the caller id, I saw that it was Jessica-unnie. I pressed the silent mode button and left the phone on the dining table as it continued to vibrate. "I'm hungry. Do you girls want to go out and eat or do you want to order in?"

Jessica's POV

"She's not picking up the phone. I guess she must be really upset with me." I sighed as Tiffany placed her palm under her chin.

"Maybe she's busy." Tiffany tried to find an excuse as I shook my head. "Don't worry too much. She'll be fine."

"Remember what happened when she was left all alone in the dorm? She didn't reply to my message when I asked her who else is staying at the dorm with her." I explained my worry as I saw Tiffany packing up the paperwork that was all over the desk.

Both of us were almost done with work for the day but Krystal has yet to reply my message which prompted for me to call her.

"Do you think I was too harsh on her that night?" I asked Tiffany as both of us made our way out of the office.

"If I was Krystal, I might feel a little upset too. Just imagine on your birthday, Yuri had totally forgotten about it and then your parents will only be there for a while. How would you feel?" Tiffany asked.

"A little lonely and unappreciated?" I answered while imagining myself in Krystal's shoes.

"Okay, then imagine someone that you had a crush on, came to do something sweet for you. How would you feel then?" Tiffany asked again.

"A little happy and touched." I answered, feeling as if I was a little girl answering questions from a teacher.

"But then you realised that crush of yours might be dating your own sister and there's a possibility that she's doing it just to impress your sister." Tiffany ended her sentence without a question as I opened my mouth to reply but I was left speechless.

"I didn't think to that extent that night. I already knew that she was upset about Amber and my parents but I also knew that it was not the triggering factor for outburst. After hearing what you had said, I finally understand the frustration that Krystal might have gone through. Now I feel bad for reprimanding her that night." I let out a heavy sigh as Tiffany patted my back.

"Give your sister some time to think things through. Maybe it'll be better if you can tell her about you and Yuri but I'm not rushing you though." Tiffany gave her well-known eye-smile as both of us entered my car.

"But don't you think a jealous Soojungie is cute?" I asked as Tiffany chuckled and nodded her head. "That's what I thought too."

************************

"Good morning, Princess."

Amber was already waiting outside the door with a grinning face when Krystal opened it.

"I thought I said 10am?" Krystal asked with a nonchalant look while pointing to the clock which showed that it was already 10.30am.

"Sorry. I overslept." Amber apologised. "I did informed you beforehand though."

Krystal sighed and nodded her hand lightly. Amber did informed her through a message, an hour ago that she would be late but Krystal didn't imagine that she'll be that late. Krystal walked back to her living room to take her bag before making her way back to the door and closing it behind her.

As they made their way to Amber's car, no one said anything. Krystal was lost in her own thoughts while Amber didn't know what to say at the moment. When they were already in the car, Krystal broke the silence by asking about where they were planning to go.

"First thing to do. We must eat breakfast. So I'm going to take you to a nice place for that." Amber replied confidently while Krystal just nodded her head before keeping her silence again.

Amber tried to come up with topics to talk about like school, things that Krystal like to do or places where she like to hang out. Amber also talked about her friends from school and also from the outside circle.

"Hey Krys, have you been to a club before?" Amber asked as Krystal shook her head. "Really? It's a fun place to be with. Do you want to follow me to the club tonight? Maybe just to chill and and see how's the environment there."

"Tonight? I'll think about it and tell you my decision later." Krystal's answer seemed to disappoint Amber a little but she just smiled and nodded her head.

Meanwhile, Tiffany was already wide awake and was disturbing Jessica who was still sprawled on her bed. As usual, the hyper girl was trying to persuade the no-so-hyper girl to accompany her for the day.

"Jessi, it's already noon. You've already wasted half of the day on your bed." Tiffany sat on the edge of Jessica's bed and pouted.

"It's only 11am, Tiff. Don't exaggerate. Go and disturb your Taetae instead of me. Why don't you just go out with her?" Jessi replied as she tried to cover her eyes from the brightness of the room since Tiffany had pulled her curtains to one side.

"I've already spent time with Taetae last night. Today I want to spend it with you. Come on.. Let's go shopping." Tiffany tried to persuade again, givng her best sympathetic look.

"I'm still tired, Tiff. I didn't sleep that well last night." Jessica replied with a sad sigh which didn't go unnoticed by Tiffany.

"What's wrong? Is something worrying you?" Tiffany asked in a concerned tone as she scooted closer to Jessica and laid on her side to face her best friend.

"I'm just worried about Krystal. She didn't reply my message since yesterday." Jessica bite her lips before sighing again.

"Don't think too much. She'll be fine. If anything happens, I believe that the first person she will contact is you." Tiffany tried to cheer Jessica up but it seemed that the girl was still feeling restless. "You know what's the best way to relieve stress? Clubbing."

"What? At this hour? I've not even had my breakfast yet." Jessica looked at Tiffany with a surprised look but the eye-smiling girl had already started to laugh.

"Of course not, you silly girl. Tonight." Tiffany continued to laugh as Jessica flung a pillow at her direction. "Shall we ask the other girls to join us too?"

Krystal and Amber had just finished their breakfast at an American restaurant that Amber had brought them to. Things didn't really started off that well since Amber had accidentally ordered a bowl of salad which had cucumbers in them. When the waiter arrived with it, Krystal's expression immediately turned black as she pushed the bowl further away from her.

Since Krystal could not withstand the smell from the cucumber, Amber had no choice but to gobble it up really quickly. The American breakfast set was then sent to both of them but by then, Amber was already half fulled since she had to finish up the salad all by herself.

Walking to the car, Amber asked Krystal if the breakfast was not to her liking since Krystal didn't seem to enjoy it that much. Krystal answered that the food was okay but she had eaten something similar before and the taste was way much better.

"Oh really? Which restaurant did you go to? Maybe I can bring you there the next time round." Amber asked eagerly as she climbed into the driver's seat.

"I didn't eat it at a restaurant. Someone cooked it for me." Krystal replied as she saw that Amber was about to say something but she decided not to. "So where are we going next?"

"Let's watch a movie before lunch." Amber replied with a grin. 

Krystal frowned a little before glancing at her watch which showed that it was already noon. She was still not feeling hungry yet for lunch but the important thing was that, watching a movie after breakfast was just going to make her feel sleepy. Unless the movie was to her liking and it's an english movie but to her dismay, Amber seemed to have booked the tickets to watch an action-themed Korean movie.

"My friends told me that the movie is good and has been one of the top selling movie since it was released." Amber excitedly informed Krystal as the girl just nodded her head.

Even though Krystal wasn't really looking forward to watching it, she didn't show it to Amber because she didn't want to hurt the girl's feeling. Furthermore, Krystal understood that Amber had taken the trouble to prepare all this for her so the least she should do, was to appreciate the effort.

It didn't take long for them to arrive at the cinema as Amber asked Krystal if she wanted to get some popcorns or drinks but the girl declined as she informed Amber that she was still feeling full from the breakfast. So Amber ended up just buying a bottle of water just in case they got thirsty while watching the movie.

************************

I had just returned from my afternoon jog as I walked into my apartment and opened the fridge to grab a bottle of cold water. While drinking, I heard the familiar buzzing sound of my phone which I had left behind earlier. It's a habit of mine, not to bring my phone along when I jog since I wanted to focus on my running.

As I walked to my phone which was on the side table, I was surprised to see almost 20 over messages in the groupchat. Sliding the phone, I started to read through the messages. It seemed that Tiffany had suggested for all of us to go to the club tonight as a way to relieve some tension. As they continued chatting and seeing no reply from me, they started to make up funny stories about my non-existence.

GenieJin: YAH!!! All of you!! Having fun making stories about me is it?

PaperTaeng: Oh my god!! She's alive!! hahaha...

BlackPearl: Have you been cleaning the toilet for the past one hour? Or did you went out on a date?

ShikshinSoo: Maybe she just woke up.

GenieJin: Yah!! I was already awake since 9am. I had just came back from a jog. Left my phone at home.

IcePrincess: You went for a jog? At this hour?

Eye-smileFany: These kind of activities will trigger a confusion in Jessi since she doesn't do all that.

I grinned when I read Tiffany's remarks as the other girls started to post laughing emoticons while Jessica started to nag at Tiffany. The girls continued to chat with Yoona informing that she and Sooyoung will be joining us after they closed the cafe for the night. Taeyeon and Yuri were agreeable to the idea of hanging out at the club that night while Sunny said that she might want to bring someone along.

GenieJin: Someone? Just say that it's Chorong. All of us already knew.

SunnyBunny: Yah!! Don't try to be cocky with me. What if it was really someone else?

PaperTaeng: Then all of us will start taking photos and sent it to Chorong.

BlackPearl: I agree to that. Taeng, high-five.

SunnyBunny: Han Eunjin!! Kim Taeyeon!! Kwon Yuri!! I'm going to cut off your pays from next month onwards.

PaperTaeng: Meanie!!

GenieJin: Big Bully!!

BlackPearl:  Wait a minute. It should be Small Bully..

Another round of laughter and funny emoticons appeared as we finally decided on the time and place to meet later.

Once everything was confirmed, I left my phone on the table and grabbed a towel to take a shower. A quick nap followed suit before I woke up to get ready and had a quick dinner. Wearing a simple plain black tee with my black jeans, I grabbed my leather jacket and my helmet before making my way to my motorbike. The meeting time was 10pm at Club9 in Gangnam District.

When I arrived at the destination, Taeyeon and Yuri were already there. I noticed that Yuri had an almost similar attire with me except that she was wearing a white tee. We laughed about it, saying that we looked like twins.

"What if Jessica hugged me from behind accidentally?" I asked teasingly as Yuri suddenly grabbed the collar of my jacket. "Yah, yah, yah... I was just teasing."

"What's wrong?" Jessica, who had arrived with Tiffany, asked when she saw what was happening. "Are you both fighting?"

"No. They're dancing." Taeyeon replied dorkily and started to laugh but her laughter stopped when she saw the glare that Jessica gave her. "Eunjin was disturbing Yuri about the possibility of you hugging the wrong person since both of them had simiar outfits."

"Of course not. Yuri has long hair while Eunjin's hair is only shoulder length." Jessica pointed out the obvious difference.

"But if I was you, I don't mind hugging Eunjin since her body looks huggable." Tiffany's answer caused Taeyeon to pout while the rest of us just laughed at her.

It wasn't a surprise to us when Yuri was able to get access to go in without having to queue and was also lead to a table without making any reservation. Yuri seemed a little awkward when she exchanged glances with Jessica as we took our seat. A girl came up to Yuri, exchange a few words and gave her a hug. It was obvious that Yuri was not anticipating the hug since she remained frozen on her seat and the girl even tried to kiss Yuri on the cheeks but luckily, she managed to dodge it. The girl only laughed and walked away.

"I don't think I should be here." Yuri shook her head and sighed before standing up but Jessica grabbed her wrist. "Sica, it's best for me not to be here."

"But I'm here with you." Jessica's words prompted Yuri to look at her.

"I know. But me being here is not really a good idea. There are people whom I've known and made connections with. Connections that you might not want to know about. I don't want your feelings to get hurt, Sica." Yuri tried to explain her actions.

"You did dodge away when she tried to kiss you. That means a lot to me. The fact that you're thinking of my position warms my heart. I believe that you'll never want to hurt my feelings." Jessica slightly pulled Yuri to sit down.

"Sica is right, Yul. We're here to hang out as a group. I don't think they'll come up to disturb you any further." Taeyeon said.

"I'm just afraid that they'll try to do something funny. No one believed when I said that I'm a changed person. My past is something that I'm not proud of." Yuri hung her head low before Jessica lifted up her chin.

"If I want to accept you in my life, I will have to accept your past, your present and your future. Frankly, I hated your past but I'm willing to take a risk on your present and hopefully the future is for us to shape it." Jessica gave Yuri a sweet smile. "As long as you prove it to me, we'll work things out."

"Oh my god. That's the sweetest thing that I had ever heard coming out from Jessi's mouth." Tiffany commented in a teasing manner as all of us started to laugh. "Yuri, just stick close to Jessi. Once they see our Ice princess glare, no one will dare to come near you."

Another round of laughter followed suit until Sunny arrived with Chorong. Everyone knew her since there had been a few times where Sunny had brought Chorong along to our gatherings. We chatted for a while before someone came to take our orders. Sunny was surprised that we had managed to get a VIP table when we didn't make reservation.

We started teasing around by saying that Yuri was actually the owner of the club and Sunny almost believed in us until the real owner came to our table. It seemed that the owner knew Yuri and they chatted for a while before he walked away.

"What did he say? Is he going to issue us with a membership card?" Taeyeon asked with a stupid grin on her face.

"Anni. He said that I shouldn't bring underage kid with me into the club." Yuri's reply brought laughter to everyone as Taeyeon pouted. "He said that it's been a while since he last saw me. I told him that I'm planning to settle down. He replied that it was about time to do so."

Our drinks arrived as the waiter informed that the drinks would be on the house as instructed by the owner. All of us thanked the waiter and continued to chat while listening to the loud music from the floor below us.

Meanwhile two girls had just arrived and were waiting at the entrance of the club as Amber tried to make some calls. Krystal, on the other hand was just leaning against the car as she observed the surroundings. It was her first time to be out so late without her Unnie.

"My friend said that she's currently on duty and asked us to wait for a while.We don't have to join the queue since she would be bringing us in." Amber informed Krystal the moment she ended her call.

Krystal's POV

I just nodded my head at what Amber had said. After the movie earlier, Amber had asked if I was already hungry but I told her that I was still full so we ended up going to the Hangang river instead.

(Flashback)

Amber brought out her skateboard from the back of her car as I just followed her.

"Do you know how to skateboard?" Amber asked as I shook my head. "I'll teach you if you want."

I told Amber to show me her skills which she gladly did so. I was quite impressed when she showed me as I took a seat at one of the bench while Amber skateboarded around me. We were there for 30mins before Amber asked if I wanted anything to eat. She showed a convenience store nearby and told me that she could grab something if I was hungry.

5mins later, Amber left towards the convenience store to get me something but once again she had forgotten that there was cucumber in the kimbap that she had bought for me. So I ended up just drinking the banana milk before telling her that we should head back to the dorm. It was almost coming to 4pm and I was already feeling a little lethargic.

Amber seemed unhappy about my request but she just nodded her head as we headed back to the car. Throughout the ride back, Amber kept quiet and I started to feel bad.

"What time do you usually go to the club?" I asked as I saw Amber's eyes brightened up.

(End of flashback)

Amber came to pick me up at 10pm just now. I felt a little better after resting for a while since coming back from the Hangang river. Sulli cooked dinner for the 3 of us and they were surprised when I told them that I would be going out again with Amber to the club.

So here we were, smiling at her friend who had came out to greet us and brought us in. As we walked up the stairs to the VIP area as what Amber had told me, I looked around the club. The upper floor was separated into 4 partition with thick curtains between them. A semi-circle couch was placed at each partition as we were ushered to the one nearest to the stairs.