Chapter 44

Hard But Easy

A pair of arms circled my waist as I felt a head leaning against my back. I knew who it was, even without turning around since I was familiar with her scent.

"Why are you crying, Stupid? Were you too surprise to see everyone here that you had to cry?"

Krystal's soft voice whispered behind as I sniffed back my tears while still staring at the sky.

"Omma and Appa are always watching over me. Just like right now."

Krystal pulled herself away before she walked to stand beside me. Entwining our hands together, I used my free hand to point to the sky where two stars were blinking with no other stars around.

"These are tears of happiness, Krystal. You don't have to worry about it. Honestly, I was really stunned earlier but I felt truly happy when I saw all the familiar faces. It's the first time in my life that I'm celebrating my birthday with so many people. It's always been me, Appa and Omma. Then it became, only me and grandma. Finally, it was just me alone." I smiled a little as Krystal shook her head,

"It's not finally. Because from now on, you'll have us to celebrate it with you."

As I looked at Krystal's sincere eyes and her sweet smile, I instantly smiled and pulled her into a hug.

"Gomawo, Jung Soojung. Your presence makes me complete in my incomplete life."

We stayed like that for a while before we heard someone coughing behind us. Turning around, we saw Jessica and Yuri smiling at us. They had taken some food and drinks for us and handed them over.

"Soojungie noticed you walking away earlier by yourself and asked me to go ahead to get the food first. She said that you needed someone to comfort you."Jessica explained. "So me and Yuri waited for both of you to sort things out first before taking the food and drinks for you.

"The birthday girl should not be by herself tonight. Everyone is here to celebrate your day." Yuri added on as she patted my shoulder. "By the way, did you and Krystal planned to wear black and white together? I should have worn something similiar to match Sica's outfit. Now I'm jealous of your couple look."

The moment Yuri mentioned it, I just realised that Krystal and I were indeed wearing similar kind of clothings for the night.

(Imagine this is what Krystal and Eunjin were wearing.)

 249464_original.jpg Street-Style-May-201557.jpeg

"Is this why you insisted in me wearing this clothes earlier?" I turned to Krystal who was giggling beside me. "When we reached my apartment from the workhop just now, she insisted in choosing the clothes for me to wear for my dinner tonight. Then she shoved me away, asking me to shower while she prepared the clothes for me. Someone's been cheeky lately. Hiding things from me."

I was about to pinch her cheeks when she suddenly dodged and moved to hide behind her sister's back. Showing me her tongue before running away, I was about to run after her when I was surrounded by the other girls. Taeyeon, Tiffany, Sooyoung, Yoona, Sunny and Seohyun came to ask me about my condition and how I was feeling after removing the shoulder brace. While I was talking to them, Shin Hye appeared and introduced herself to them.

"Ah, ah.. Hello, hello..."

As our attentions turned to the small stage that was set up at a corner of the rooftop, we saw Luna tapping the microphone that was attached to a mic stand. She started off by thanking Harabeoji and Halmeoni for the invitation on behalf of everyone before informing that there's a special performance for the birthday girl. Sulli appeared from the side and placed a single chair in front of the stage, before walking up to me and gestured me to follow her to the seat.

As I sat down with a curious expression on my face, Sulli joined Luna on stage before each of them took out a piece of paper. Luna walked up to the mic and started to read out from the paper that she was holding.

Dear Soojung,

It's my first time calling you that. Your sister told me that you prefer to be called by your Korean name than your English name. First and foremost, I apologise for leaving without saying a word. I don't have the courage to face you and to say that I'm going away, leaving you behind. I might end up not leaving if I see you. So that is why this letter comes in as a replacement. Secondly, I apologise for all the trouble that I've put you through because of the marriage news. I know that you're facing some difficult times in campus especially with your final exams around the corner. Mianhae. Sorry for causing you to have added stress from whatever that is happening right now. Finally, I need to be away momentarily to help Harabeoji with his case. I know he's innocent and I know that I didn't have to help him but no matter how bad his treatment was towards me and my parents, he is still family to me. I will be out of the country to look for Uncle Park, whom Harabeoji believed to be the only one who can save him. I'm not sure where exactly Uncle Park will be but I know that he's in California. I can't guarantee you the time of my return but I promise you that I'll be back as soon as everything is settled. Don't miss me too much and work hard for your final exams. Please remember to eat your meals regularly and have enough rest. I won't be there to take care of you but I have my spies around.

Saranghae.

Truthfully Yours, Stupid Eunjin.

I was surprised to hear those familiar words as I started to look around for Krystal but she was not there. My eyes stopped at where my grandparents were and I saw them smiling at me before making a heart sign with their fingers. I almost wanted to laugh at their attempt to act cute. By the time I turned around to face the stage again, Sulli was already standing at the mic as she stared at the paper in her hand.

Dear Eunjin

I wrote this letter while thinking of those times when you were not around beside me. When you were far away from me and when I was worried to death about your well-being. Ever since you had expressed your feelings for me months ago, you had shown me in many ways on how much you love me. Even in words, you had said it to me before. But never had you forced me to return those feelings or words to you. Everything that you did for me was out of pure love. But up to know, I have yet to say those words to you. Because I was not as courageous as you. I had liked someone before. For almost 3 yrs, I thought that my feelings for that person was special but it was just a normal crush. I became unsure when it came to you. I was scared that it'll be just another crush. So I had kept all my feelings for you inside, without truly showing it all out to you. Because I was afraid of the disappointment again. But you continued to be as awesome and cool as you've always been. At times, I wondered if I was good enough to be with you but even so, I don't think I want to be without you. I'm sorry for being that selfish. When you left and I found out that you had seen a video of my outburst, it hurts me a lot. Thinking that I had hurt your feelings, thinking that you were upset with me. At that time, I really wished I could run to you and hug you tight. I waited for your return because I wanted to explain everything to you. But when I found out that I might be losing you forever, I regretted for not showing you how much you really meant to me. I prayed everyday for your safe return so that I can show you how much I needed you in my life, how much I wanted you in my life. And mostly, how much I really love you.

Han Eunjin, Saranghae.

Forever Yours, Jung Soojung.

As Sulli folded her paper, silence filled the entire rooftop before the sound of music started. From a corner of the stage, I saw Krystal appearing with a mic in her hand as she walked up to the stage slowly. Her eyes looked solemn but she smiled a little when our eyes made contact.

Claspings both my hands together, I listened to every word that she sang to me with my eyes fixed fully on her. Krystal had her eyes closed most of the time throughout the performance, maybe because she needed to concentrate or because she didn't dared to look at me straight in the eyes but when the song ended, I sprung up to my feet and went up the stage to give her a tight hug.

"Eunjin, I love you. Saranghae." Krystal mumbled to me as she returned my hug.

"Nado. Saranghae." I smiled as I put a distance between us so that I could look into her eyes. "Jung Soojung, I know that you are expecting a grand proposal from me but I'll save that for our future. Right now, at this very moment, I'm going to ask you a question that I should have asked a long time ago. Would you be my girlfriend?"

The moment Krystal nodded her head, the crowd applauded loudly with cheeky whistling from Yuri and Taeyeon, as everyone shouted their blessings to us.

************************

Krystal's POV

Stretching my hands out and grabbing one of my pillow on the bed, I couldn't stop myself from smiling as I opened my eyes slowly. It was one of those mornings when you woke up feeling so relaxed as if the burden on your shoulders had been lifted up. Turning my head to look at my mini clock, I jolted up in surprised when I saw that it was already 12.30pm.

"Oh my god!! I was supposed to meet Eunjin for lunch today."

I scrambled to my feet as I grabbed my phone that was charging on my dressing table. 7 missed calls and 5 messages.

@ 9am - Good morning, sweetheart. Did you have a good night sleep? Where do you want to have lunch later?

@ 10am - Krystal... Are you already awake and getting ready or are you still sleeping?

@ 10.30am - Why are you not replying my messages and answering my calls? You're at home, right?

@ 11am - Jung Soojung. It's my birthday today. You've promised to spend as much time as possible with me today,

@ 11.10am - *upset* emoji, *crying* emoji

"Oh no.. Eunjin is upset with me. This is all my fault. Why did I plan to meet her at 11am when I should have known that I would overslept after going off to sleep at 3am last night."

I mumbled to myself and grabbed my towel as I dashed out from my room, thinking of having a quick shower. But I was taken aback when I heard Eunjin's laughter around the house. Making my way to the living room, my eyes widened when I saw Eunjin chatting away with my parents. My arrival caught their attention as I saw Eunjin grinning cheekily at me while shaking her head. 

Omma started to nag at me for being a sleepyhead and for making a promise that I couldn't keep. I pouted and looked down on the floor as I hugged my towel.

"Soojung-ah, why are you still standing there like a model? Eunjin has been waiting to eat lunch with you since 30mins ago." Appa commented in a teasing tone.

I looked up, nodded my head and quickly dashed into the bathroom.

It was almost 1pm when I finally reappeared at the living room, all dressed up and eager to go out when Eunjin gestured me to follow her to the dining table. Omma and Appa seemed to have left the house or maybe they were in their room since I didn't see both of them around.

"Let's eat first before going out." Eunjin said as she pulled out a chair for me to sit. "I cooked something simple earlier and hope you like it. Your Omma and Appa seemed to enjoy it just now though."

I blinked my eyes rapidly as I saw how Eunjin started to prepare a bowl of bulgogi bibimbap for me and herself before scooping a big bowl of tofu stew for us to share. 

"You cooked all this?" I asked as Eunjin nodded her head before telling me that she received some help from Omma too. "What time did you arrive?"

"Around 11.15am?" Eunjin replied, a little unsure about her answer. I asked about how she managed to come since she was still not allowed to drive or ride yet. "I hitched a ride with Yuri since she had plans to meet with your sister today. I called your house at around 10.45am to check on you and Omma confirmed that you were still sleeping. She wanted to wake you up but I stopped her and said that I would come here instead. When I arrived, Omma had already prepared seaweed soup for me so after eating that, I started cooking lunch."

We started to eat and I was really amazed that it tasted so good. I noticed that Eunjin had stopped eating and seemed to be waiting for my feedback so I showed a thumbs up to her.

"It is really nice? Omma told me that you like to eat beef which is why I added the bulgogi." Eunjin stated as I nodded my head eagerly. "I've cooked twice for you so far. Last time it was breakfast and now it's lunch. So when are you going to cook for me?"

I stopped eating immediately and showed her a sad face. "Mianhae, Eunjin-ah. But I'm not that good in cooking."

"Gwenchana. When we are married, I'll take care of the cooking for you." Eunjin chuckled as I felt my cheeks becoming warmer.

Once lunch was over, we left the apartment at around 3pm. As we walked to my car, Eunjin's phone rang so she answered it.

"Hello.. hey, Shin hye. What's up?"

The moment I heard that name, my pout automatically came out as I fastened my steps and left Eunjin behind. She was still on the phone when I entered the car and fastened my seat belt. I saw her walking to the passenger side and ended the call before she entered the car.

"Why did you suddenly speed up and leave me behind?" Eunjin puffed up her cheeks while grabbing the seat belt.

"I didn't want to interrupt your conversation."

I replied without looking at her and pretended like I was concentrating on getting the car started. Suddenly, I felt Eunjin leaning her body forward before her lips grazed my cheek for a few seconds. I could feel myself getting warmer after she pulled back and smirked before positioning herself to sit properly.

"She just called to wish me happy birthday. That's all." Eunjin commented before she asked me about our plan for the day.

"There's a place that I have in mind but it's a secret."

************************

"I had lots of fun today." I said in between my heavy breathing as I noticed Krystal nodding her head while panting hard too.

"We should do it again. I really need to learn that move from you." Krystal said as she removed the skates and placed it beside her.

Both of us had just finished playing around in the ice rink for almost two hours. After leaving the Jungs apartment, Krystal had drove us to my parent's columbarium. Even I myself didn't expect to be brought there.

(Flashback a few hours ago)

As I stood in front of my parents' urns, my eyes became watery. A sense of guilt came over me since it was my first time coming to visit them on my birthday. I would usually visit them when it's their birthday or death anniversary. When I felt Krystal's hand slipping into mine, I turned to face her.

"Wae? Why are you crying?"

"I felt guilty suddenly. It's my first time coming here on my birthday. A day that my parents had cherished all their lives but I had totally forgotten about them on this day. I should have visited them and thanked them for bringing me into this world but I've never done so."

"You said it yourself. Some times, you don't even remember that it was your birthday. Don't be hard on yourself. Your parents would know and would always understand your feelings. That know that you've always been thankful to them." Krystal consoled me as she wrapped her hands around my arms and bowed to my parents. "Mr Han and Mrs Han."

"Anni, anni.. You should call them Omma and Appa. Or Omonim and Abeonim." I chided her teasingly as she looked at me with wide eyes.

"That's mother-in-law and father-in-law. We're not married yet." She nagged at me as I meronged at her. "Omma Han and Appa Han."

I had to stifle my laughter as I listened to Krystal's conversation with my parents. It seemed like she was updating my parents about everything that had happened recently and how I had celebrated my advanced birthday with everyone last night.

"Lastly, thank you for bringing Eunjin safely back home. Thank you for always looking out for her. I promise that I will take care of her with lots of love just like how she had taken care of me so far. I hope that you would give your blessings to our relationship."

As Krystal bowed her head again, I couldn't stop myself from grinning widely. Placing my hand on her back and rubbing it slowly, Krystal stood up straight and looked at me.

"They will give their blessings and be proud that they're going to have such a pretty and understanding future daughter-in-law." I said.

(End of flashback)

After returning our skates and retrieving our belongings from the lockers, we decided to find a place for dinner since it's already 7pm. While walking around, I saw someone familiar from a distance.

"Krystal. Isn't that Amber?" I pointed out to a person who was busy with her phone while leaning against the metal railings outside a shop. "Do you want to walk over and say hello?"

I asked carefully since I was afraid of Krystal's reaction. I knew that their friendship had strained after Krystal rejected her but Amber was still a friend of ours. When Krystal nodded her head in agreement, we made our way towards Amber who was still oblivious of our presence.

"Hey, Am." I greeted her as she looked up from her phone. From her expression, it was obvious that she was surprised.

"Hi, Eunjin-unnie. Hi, Krystal." She bowed her head at me before smiling nervously at Krystal who only waved at her. "Shopping?"

I nodded my head when Amber pointed out to a few shopping bags that I was carrying. I was about to continue talking when I heard someone calling out Amber's name. When Krystal and I turned around, we saw Ailee walking towards us. She looked surprised for a minute before greeting us and made her way to stand beside Amber. She asked if we had just reached at the amusement park and where we were actually planning to go. When I told her that we were actually looking for a place to have our dinner, Ailee seemed eager to join us.

"But of course, if that is alright with the both of you." Ailee said before she turned to look at Amber who just smiled at her.

Soon, the four of us were seated inside a restaurant that was recommended by Ailee as I sat beside Amber with Krystal opposite of me. We read through the menu and the waiter took our orders before silence creeped into the atmosphere.

"How was your exams?" I broke the silence and turned to face Amber who seemed to be contemplating her answer.

"Eunjin-unnie, I'm really sorry for what happened on that day between me and Krystal." Amber blurted out as I just continued to look at her. "You do know what I'm talking about, right?"

I nodded my head and informed her that I was well aware about the incident that happened after Krystal's final paper. I told her that I wasn't planning to talk about it when I asked her that question about her exams.

"That matter is between you and Krystal. I believed that it had been resolved. I had no intention of bringing up the past when I asked you that question just now. I really wanted to know your feedback on your exams." I smiled sincerely at Amber as I saw her relaxing a little.

"It was okay. I mean.. some papers were tough but I think I should be doing fine." Amber replied as I asked about her plans after graduation. "I've not really thought about it yet. But Ailee and I have been discussing about it."

"Ailee and you?" I repeated as I pointed between the both of them. "Are you planning to work together or are you both actually...."

I paused and looked at the both of them carefully. It was then that I realised the both of them were wearing rings. Couple rings,

"Wait a minute. Don't tell me, both of you are together?" I asked in an unsure tone.

Krystal, who had been lost in her own thoughts, became more curious after my sentence as it was her turn to look at the two of them more carefully,

"That's a couple ring." Krystal commented as I told her that I just saw it too.

Finally, both of them admitted that they were indeed together as Amber grinned widely while Ailee had a sheepish smile. They informed us that they had been together for about 2 weeks.

"So after you told me, Sulli and Luna about your plan, did you really follow them?" Krystal asked as Amber nodded her head. "Daebak... Anyway, congrats. But I'm still a little upset though."

A frown appeared on my face as Krystal quickly explained that she was upset that Amber didn't informed her, Sulli and Luna about it even though they had resolved all their problems amongst themselves.

"I had wanted to tell the 3 of you but Ailee suggested for all of us to meet up together before breaking the news. I agreed to her suggestion but she got busy with work recently so everything kind of got delayed." Amber explained before she apologised. 

From then on, the four of us chatted away as we talked about future plans and graduation day. We left the restaurant at about 9pm and bid each other farewell. As we made our way to the car, I received a message from Amber just when I was about to pull my safety belt on.

Eunjin-unnie, I'm sorry for punching you at the basketball court that time and also for causing unnecessary worry to you because of my actions towards Krystal. I can see how much both of you really love each other. I hope that our friendship will remain the same even after all these hurtful things that I had caused upon it. Once again, please accept my apology. - Amber

p.s: Let's get together for a game some time.

While typing a reply with a smile, Krystal just stared at me with a blank expression. I showed her the message and soon, a smile appeared on her face.

"I guess you won't have to worry about Amber anymore." Krystal commented as she switched on the engine.

"Even so, I will have to protect you from anyone who tried to get close to you." I had a serious face on as Krystal rolled her eyes at me. "Because you're precious to me."

As Krystal drove off with blushing cheeks, I had a dorky grin on my face.