Chapter 36

Hard But Easy

"Hi, I'm here to look for Doctor Park. Is she around?"

I smiled at the nurse who was seated behind the reception counter while she looked at me and frowned.

"Do you have an appointment with her?" She asked as I shook my head. "Then I'm sorry but you have to make an appointment first before seeing her. And if her schedule is full for the day, you might even have to come back another day."

I let out a disappointed sigh before scratching the back of my head. Asking her politely if she could assist to check for any available slot for today, the nurse nodded her head and started typing into her computer. Clasping my hands together and praying silently in my heart, I waited patiently for a reply.

I had arrived at the airport yesterday evening and had checked in to a hotel which was near to the hospital that Harabeoji had informed me earlier. A few hours ago, I had left the hotel to proceed to the address that was given to me. When I reached there, the security guard at the apartment stopped me and asked for my identification. I spent some time outside, trying to explain that I was looking for someone at the address that was written on the paper but he insisted that I'm not allowed in. 

After about 30mins there, he finally decided to call the owner of the apartment itself to ask for permission to allow me in but no one answered the call. Which was why I decided to make my way to the hospital, thinking that if the person was not at home, most probably she's at work.

My lucky guess paid off but now I would have to depend on my luck again to be able to see her.

"Excuse me, miss. Lucky for you, Doctor Park will be free after lunch. Would you want to book an appointment now?" 

I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 10am. After lunch would mean that I would have to wait for about 4 hrs for her. I let out a sigh before nodding my head at the nurse while giving her a smile.

"Thank you for the help. By the way, do you have any recommendations of any nice restaurants or cafe where I can hang around while waiting?"

10mins later, I walked in to a cosy cafe where it was quite empty with only about 4 people around. I was shown to a table at a corner and handed a menu by the waitress. She stood by my side as I asked for recommendations. Since I didn't had my breakfast at the hotel, I decided to get some and 15mins later, food was served to me. 

I was about to start eating when my phone beeped as I took a quick glance. A smile appeared on my face as I saw that Yuri had sent me a photo of Krystal. It was obvious that Yuri had taken it discreetly since it was just a side view of Krystal. The message below the photo caused me to chuckle as Yuri gave a long report of whatever that Krystal had been doing since yesterday.

Don't you dare scold her during my absence. - Eunjin

I typed a reply as I started to eat my breakfast while waiting for Yuri to reply me back which didn't take long as another beep sounded.

Even if I wanted to, I won't dare. Not because of you though. But because of her sister. Jessica Jung is scarier than you. Anyway, any updates about Uncle Park? - Yuri

I had to stop myself from laughing out loud from Yuri's reply as I explained to her about what had happened so far. I told her that I would message her once I've met up with Uncle Park's daughter in a few hours time.

As I placed my phone aside and continued to eat, I was reminded of the American breakfast that I had prepared once for Krystal. She told me that it was delicious and I wondered if it was really as good as the breakfast that I was having.

"Excuse me, Sorry to interrupt you."

I looked up to see a lady standing at the side of my table. A Korean lady who looked a little familiar as I wondered where had I since her before.

"I don't mean to bother you but is there any chance that you might be Eunjin? As in Han Eunjin?"

My eyes blinked repeatedly when the lady managed to guess my name correctly before my eyes widened when I recognised the face from a photo that was shown to me.

"Daebak. You're Uncle Park's daughter, right? Doctor Park Shin Hye?" I automatically stood up and stretched out my hand when she nodded her head and smiled. "I was suppose to see you after lunch since the nurse said that I had to book an appointment first."

"Jinjja?" Doctor Park was really surprised when I told her. "But how come you're here? Appa didn't tell me that you'll be coming."

"Do you have time to spare at the moment, Doctor Park? Because I need to explain the reason as to why I'm here."

"Just call me Shin Hye. Appa told me that we're of the same age." She smiled at me again before looking at her watch. "But you're having your breakfast and I'm actually waiting for my takeaway order. How long do you need to finish up your meal?"

After telling her that I should be done in 10mins, Doctor Park told me to meet her at her office in the hospital by 11am. She would clear her schedule so that I could talk to her as soon as possible.

"Thank you so much for that. I'll see you later then." I bowed a little as Doctor Park stood up and walked to the counter to collect her order before walking out from the cafe.

************************

"When will she be back?"

Krystal shrugged her shoulder's at Sulli's question as she packed her belongings since the class had ended.

"Why don't you just call her and ask? It's been 4 days since she left. That means it's been more than a week since both of you actually talked to each other." Luna tried to suggest as Krystal let out a sigh.

"I'm scared that if I call her, I might distract her from doing whatever that she needs to do over there. She didn't even have the courage to say goodbye to me before leaving since she was afraid that she might have a change of mind." Krystal answered with a small smile appearing on her face. "Anyway, she told me to take care of myself and work hard for the exams. And I will do just that. Next week will be our exam week. I'm not sure if she'll be back by then but she had promised to come home as soon as everything is done."

"Hi, girls."

The 3 of them turned around to see Amber waving at them. Even though their friendship with her had became a little distant since that confrontation between Krystal and Amber, they would still acknowledged Amber's presence.

"How's the preparation for the exams next week? Everything going smoothly?"

Amber's question was answered by Sulli, the only person who was willing enough to do so. But Amber's eyes were focused on Krystal who seemed to be more interested in the floor than her.

"Hey Krys, I've been trying to contact Eunjin-unnie for a game or two but it seems that she's not answering her calls or messages. Is she that busy?"

Amber's question caused Krystal to look up as she heard Eunjin's name being mentioned. Rolling her eyes at Amber, Krystal informed her that Eunjin was currently out of the country.

"She left? Or ran away?" Amber's attempt to joke was met with deadly glares from Krystal as the smile on Amber's face faded away. "What's with the attitude? No wonder you look scary in that video."

"Video? What video?" Krystal rebutted, totally unaware of the existence of it.

Amber chuckled and with a smirk, she tried close the gap between her and Krystal but was blocked by Sulli and Luna. Amber took a step back and started laughing before her expression changed.

"Do you think your friends here can protect you forever? I'm just trying to be there for you, Krys. You must have been hurt by the marriage news. I myself didn't expect Eunjin-unnie to be so scheming. I saw how angry you were in that video where you confessed that you're not Eunjin-unnie's girlfriend."

The more Krystal listened to Amber, the more wider her eyes became. Even Sulli and Luna were confused about the whole thing. Krystal demanded to see the video which Amber gladly showed to her.

"I was so angry with Eunjin-unnie that I scolded her after sending her the video but she must have been so thick-skinned that she didn't even bother to reply to me."

"What did you just say? You sent this video to Eunjin-unnie? Where did you get this video in the first place?" Luna literally took the words out of Krystal's mouth as Amber explained that she received it from one of her friends, who coincidentally was a classmate of theirs.

Krystal had covered by her hands as the video auto-replayed and she saw how angry she was when she uttered out those words. Her eyes started to get warmer as she felt a sharp pain in her heart.

Krystal's POV

'Eunjin saw this video? She saw me shouting out loud that I'm not her girlfriend?'

I was trying to hold back my tears as those thoughts came to mind.

"When did you send this to her?" I asked as Amber told me that she sent it 2 or 3 days after the news broke out. "Thank you so much for trying to be there for me but just for your info, I'm not hurt by the news. I was overwhelmed. Furthermore, it was a decision made without Eunjin's approval. Just one advice from me. Mind your own business."

I walked away as soon as possible as I didn't want Amber to notice my watery eyes. Sulli and Luna walked up to me and asked if I was okay. I told them that I need some time alone and I'll see them in the dorm later.

Taking my car keys out from my bag, I walked towards the carpark  where my car was, with a destination in mind.

************************

Yuri's POV

"Hey Taeng, want to hang out at Twin Towers later? Sooyoung said she's got a new dish to introduce."

Taeyeon showed a thumbs up from under the car as I laughed at the sight. Everytime Taeyeon needs to repair the underneath of a car, she would disappear completely under it. Unlike me or Eunjin where our legs could still be seen dangling out. Talking about Eunjin, I really missed that kid. It's been almost 4 days since she left. I remembered last two days when she called me to inform that she had met up with Uncle Park's daughter.

(Flashback last Sunday)

"So I told her everything about what happened from how Uncle Park and Aunt Nancy were fired, right up to Harabeoji's arrest. It seemed that she was aware of what happened between her parents and Harabeoji."

"Is she pretty?" I asked as I heard a shout from Eunjin who started to nag at me for asking such a question. "I'm just curious."

"Haven't you heard the phrase 'curiousity killed the cat'? And the murderer will be Jessica Jung."

Both of us ended up laughing at our own jokes. I was lucky that I was already at my own home when Eunjin gave me a call. Imagined if I was still at Sica's apartment. I would really be dead, right now.

"Anyway, she's pretty. Just like what Uncle Park used to tell me. And she looked better in her doctor uniform."

"Prettier than Krystal?" I tried to as I heard Eunjin grumbling again.

"Krystal can't be compared to her. My Soojung is a goddess."

I heard Eunjin's cheeky laughter as I told her to stop being chessy with me as I was not Krystal. Both of us ended up laughing again before Eunjin's voice turned serious.

"Yul, I need your help."

(End of flashback)

"Yah!!"

I felt something being thrown at my face as I grabbed the dirty rag and threw it away. Looking up, I saw Taeyeon laughing at me and I was about to kill her when I noticed the person beside her.

"Krystal? Why are you here? Don't you have classes?" I asked as I looked at the clock on the wall, showing that it was 15mins to 6pm.

"My last class ended at 5pm just now, Yuri-unnie. I'm here because I just found out something earlier."

Looking at her troubled expression, I gestured Krystal to the centre couch as Taeyeon followed her from behind. After all 3 of us were seated, she told us about what happened in school earlier.

"Did Eunjin showed that video to any of you?"

Both me and Taeyeon looked at each other before slowly nodding our heads. Krystal let out a sigh as she leaned back into the couch. She covered her face suddenly as I noticed the movement of her shoulders which indicated that she was crying.

"Krystal? Gwenchana? Why are you crying?"

I placed an arm on her shoulder and squeezed it softly as Krystal placed her head on my shoulder. I looked at Taeyeon with a helpless look but Taeyeon could only shrugged her shoulders. I could only wait until Krystal calmed down as she lifted her head and looked at me.

"Did she leave because of what I said on the video? Was that really why she left without saying goodbye? I must have hurt her with my words." Krystal bite her trembling lips as her eyes became watery again.

"Aigoo. Don't think too deep into it." I patted her head and smiled at her. "Eunjin was not even angry when she saw that video. She said that you must have felt frustrated with all the teasings from your classmates. She even felt bad for making you go through all that."

"She treats me so well, with understanding and care but I push her away without giving her a chance to explain herself." Krystal started sobbing again. "I don't deserve her. She's too good for me."

I let out a sigh as I looked at Taeyeon who was frowning. "Hey Taeng, I think you have experience in this. Remember how you felt when you think that Fany was too good for you? Maybe you can give some advice to Krystal."

Taeyeon nodded her head before she suddenly took out her phone. I just observed as Taeyeon keyed in some number before pressing the loudspeaker button.

"Yeoboseyo?"

Krystal automatically turned to look at Taeyeon when she heard Eunjin's voice from the phone. Even I was surprised that Taeyeon had actually called her.

"Eunjin-ah.. It's Taeng. I'm calling because I'm unhappy about something. How can you only keep in contact with Yuri without calling any of us? That's unfair."

Both me and Krystal just watched as we heard Eunjin's laughter over the phone as she apologised for not calling. I saw a small smile appearing on Krystal's face as Taeyeon continued talking to Eunjin.

"By the way, how's everything? Yuri told me that you have managed to find Uncle Park's daughter."

"Yes, I did. She told me that Uncle Park has gone on a cruise with Aunt Nancy and they are uncontactable out at sea. They will only be back tomorrow evening. In the mean time, I've left some errands for Yuri to help me out but come to think of it, I wonder if it's too much for her."

Another round of laughter was heard as I saw Krystal's smile widened. I decided to tease Eunjin when I suddenly greeted her, causing her to be surprise by my presence.

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon!! Why didn't you tell me that Yuri is there? What if I had badmouthed her earlier? But then, it doesn't matter if I do so."

Both Eunjin and Taeyeon laughed while I pouted as I continued asking about what she's been doing for the past few days.

"Basically, nothing. I'm staying at Uncle Park's daughter house, since staying in the hotel for a long period is going to cost a lot. So most of the time, I'll just be lazing around in the house. Shin Hye works office hours so she'll only be back in the evening."

"Who is Shin Hye?" Taeyeon asked as Eunjin explained that it was the name of Uncle Park's daughter. "So, it's just the two of you? Hhhmmmm... Is she pretty?"

"Yah!!! How can you and Yuri ask the same question? Is it important to know if she's pretty or not? Don't you both ......"

I laughed out loud when Eunjin reacted the same way as how she did two days ago and continued nagging at Taeyeon who had started to pout. Krystal looked at me before shaking her head.

"It was just a question." Taeyeon rebutted as I heard Eunjin let out a sigh.

"She's pretty. And everytime I see her, it makes me think of Krystal even more." I could sense a slight change in her voice as I looked at Krystal who seemed to listen earnestly.

"Wae? Does she has similar characteristic as Krystal?" Taeyeon asked.

"Anni. Everytime I see someone pretty, I would start thinking to myself.... Hhhhmmm, my Soojung is way much prettier. My Soojung is a goddess." I heard a chuckle from Eunjin as Krystal accidentally giggled. "Wait a minute? Is Krystal there with you?"

I quickly gestured to Krystal to cover as Taeyeon gave a witty answer by saying that Eunjin was starting to hallucinate and hearing things. Taeyeon even questioned her ability to recognise Krystal's giggles without seeing her.

"Of course I can recognise her giggles. She giggles a lot when I'm with her. Anyway, I guess I must have missed her too much. She should be in her dorm right now, resting or revising for her exams next week. I hope the teasings have stopped and she could concentrate on her studies though."

"Why don't you just give her a call and check on her? I saw her reading your letter on the night you left. I think she cried." I said.

"She cried? I wish I could give her a hug. Do you know how much I'm dying to call her everyday? But I can't. I'm scared that once I hear her voice, I'll throw everything aside and fly back to Seoul at once."

Silence filled the room before Taeyeon jokingly said that she needed to end the call since it's going to cost her a lot. Eunjin said goodbye and apologised once again for not updating much about her well-being, promising Taeyeon that she would call her often too.

After Taeyeon ended the phone call, I immediately flicked her forehead as she groaned in pain while asking why I did so.

"Yah!! What if Krystal couldn't control her emotions and made her presence known to Eunjin? Do you want Eunjin to fly back without doing what she intended to do over there?" Taeyeon shook her head and apologised for her rash decision. "I asked you to help Krystal with her dilemma about feeling not good enough for Eunjin. I didn't ask you to call Eunjin straightaway."

"But I was trying to help her." Taeyeon answered as Krystal and I had frowns on our faces. "Did you notice how she smile just by hearing Eunjin's voice? Krystal-ah, in a relationship, this kind of feelings comes and go. You feel that Eunjin is too good for you because you actually felt guilty for pushing her away. Believe me when I say that Eunjin also sometimes feel that you're too good for her."

"She does?" Krystal looked unsure as Taeyeon answered with a nod.

"Remember when she had to take over her grandfather's position in the company and became too busy to even spend time with you?" Taeyeon asked as Krystal nodded her head. "She felt thankful that you were understading of her position at that time and that was also when she felt that you deserve someone better. But it was just a momentary feeling because she realised that she didn't want anyone else to have you except for her. That's why I called her just now. When you heard her voice, how do you feel?"

"I feel like running to her. I really miss her a lot." Krystal's cheeks blushed with her honest answer as me and Taeyeon just smiled at her. "And I got a little angry for a moment when she said that Uncle Park's daughter was pretty before she made me feel happy again with her next sentence."

"Both of you could have been a couple sooner if you both had just confessed your feelings for each other. Too bad that a lot of things were getting in the way. I hope everything gets settled soon." Taeyeon gave her honest opinion which I agreed with her.

"Krystal, do you want to hang out with us at the Twin Towers or do you want to go back to the dorm?" I asked.

"I'm going back to the dorm but before that, what were the errands that Eunjin gave to you, Yuri-unnie?" Krystal asked as I told her that Eunjin needed my help with checking on her Halmeoni's health condition and also to check with Mr Kang, the family lawyer about Harabeoji's case status updates.

"Can I help you with one of it? I want to check on Halmeoni. I miss seeing her too. Furthermore, my class ends early tomorrow since it's a Wednesday so I can go to the hospital to see her."

I nodded my head in agreement as I handed Doctor Ahn's contact number to Krystal.

************************

Krystal's POV

I knocked on the door and pushed it slowly after I was given the permission to walk in. Sitting behind the table was a sweet-looking Doctor, about mid-forties, smiling at me as she stood up.

"You must be Krystal. Come, have a seat"

I nodded my head and quickened my steps to reach out to her hand for a handshake. She asked if I wanted any drinks which I politely rejected.

"I've been wanting to meet you ever since Eunjin started telling me about you. I guess it's true when she told me that you're someone with a unique beauty and a charming aura." Doctor Ahn smiled again as I blushed and thanked her for the compliment. "By the way,how's Eunjin? Is she back yet?"

"She's still in LA. Seems like Uncle Park and his wife had gone on a cruise and will only be back this evening. Initially, she asked Yuri-unnie to check on Halmeoni but she also asked Yuri-unnie to get some updates from the family lawyer so I decided to help her out with one of the errands." I explained. "I didn't know much details about her well-being there since we've not been keeping in contact after she left."

"That girl must be the one who choose not to contact you. She doesn't like others to worry too much about her. Anyway, let's go and check on Halmeoni." Doctor Ahn stood up and asked me to follow her to the room.

It was not surprising for me to see bodyguards standing in front of the door to the room as I followed Doctor Ahn inside.

"You're lucky that you can follow me in now. When Eunjin came before, she was not allowed in because of her Harabeoji so she could only see her from outside. At that time, he was still not arrested yet. I think the bodyguards outside had been given a new set of instructions to allow others in as long as they are escorted by me."

As I made my way to the bed, my heart hurt when I saw the fragile state of Halmeoni. If I was experiencing such pain, I wonder how Eunjin had felt when she could only see her Halmeoni from outside the glass window.