Chapter 6

Hard But Easy

"Okay, spill." Yuri glared at me as I sighed and took a deep breathe.

After I told Sunny, Taeyeon and Yuri about the medications that I had taken during my driving test, questions after questions were shot at me but I was lucky that Chorong had came in to remind Sunny about their lunch appointment. Yuri then suggested for the 3 of us to gather at Sooyoung's cafe to talk things out while having lunch but it didn't went as planned since Yuri didn't expect Tiffany and Jessica to be there.

So the plan had changed and now, I'm currently at the Kwon's house where the whole family was present too. Sunny and Taeyeon had also tagged along after work since they wanted to hear my explanations. We had just finished our dinner and were gathered at the living room when Yuri started the ball rolling.

"I've got amaxophobia."

"Amaxophobia? What's that?" Aunt Kwon asked as everyone had a frown on their faces.

Before I could reply to her question, Seohyun overtook me and explained on my behalf. "It's a persistent fear of being in or riding in a vehicle. Sufferers will typically fear an accident and its consequences, especially injury or death when they are in a vehicle."

"But you ride and have a driving lesson, right?" Yoona asked me as I nodded my head.

"They also have a fear of enclosed space which might explain why Eunjin-unnie prefer to ride." Once again, Seohyun took the liberty to explain.

"You said you took medications during your driving test. What medications?" Taeyeon asked as I took out a small bottle with blue pills inside.

"Medications to calm my nerves. Can be taken before a panic trigger or during the attack." I explained.

"How did you have that condition? I mean, were you born with it?" Sunny asked as I shook my head.

"She was fine before, as far as I can remember. We even took bus and ride cars together. When did you find out about your condition, Eunjin?" Yuri asked.

"After my parent's funeral ceremony was completed, I followed Grandma back to Seoul. At that time, I was still feeling lost and my condition had not been detected yet since I slept throughout the flight to Tokyo. Grandma didn't have a vehicle and moved around her neighbourhood on foot. It was not until the first day where I had to travel to school was the time my condition was detected."

I paused for a minute and swallowed my saliva as I recalled the incident in the school bus. My breathing started to be unstable until I felt a warm pair of hands rubbing my back to calm me down.

"Relax. You have us now. Don't force yourself to think about what happened on that day if you don't want to."

Aunt Kwon's soft and soothing voice brought me to tears as I instantly wrapped my arms around her waist since she was standing beside me who was seated.

"I... I.. was scared.. I couldn't breathe.. properly. My.. hands were... sweaty and the other kids... they.. they were laughing at me." I said in between my sobs as Aunt Kwon continued to rub my back.

(Flashback 14yrs ago)

"Goodbye, Eunjin. Take care when you're in school and behave well, okay."

I just nodded my head as I looked at the school bus that was in front of me. Grandma spoke a while with the driver before she pushed me up the stairs as I looked around in the bus. There was about 7 other kids inside, all looking and staring at me since I was a new student. They must be curious as to why I'm only starting school after the 2nd semester.

I heard the bus door closing as I waved at my Grandma before walking slowly to find an empty seat for myself.

"Hey, that seat is taken. It's not yours."

I heard someone said to me just when I was about to sit down. My Japanese was not that good but luckily I could understand certain words. I stood up and bowed a little before continuing my walk to the back. The jerkings of the bus was making me feel nervous as I started to look around the bus. My chest started to tighten as I clasped both my hands which was already sweaty. I was almost reaching the back seats when one of the kids tripped me, causing me to sprawl onto the floor.

Laughters filled the bus as I turned around to see that one of my knees was bleeding. Suddenly, I started to sweat profusely as I was finding it more difficult to breathe. Tears flowed down my cheeks as some of the kids continued to laugh. It was until one of the girls commented that I looked really pale, that the laughter stopped. They started to panic when they looked at me and one of them ran to the driver to inform him about it.

"I blanked out after that. When I woke up, I was already at the hospital with Grandma by my side. The doctor started to ask me questions and at that point of time, she thought that I was stressed out because of what had happened recently. But the incident reoccurred for another two times, causing the doctor to perform more tests on me. There was once, she told me to follow her into the car and she witnessed the whole thing. On how my body reacted while inside the car. It was then she realised that I had amaxophobia." I stopped explaining as I looked at everyone who had been listening attentively to my story. "Grandma couldn't afford to continue my treatments so I stopped taking the bus and started to walk to school instead until I was 14yrs old. That was the year that Grandma had passed away."

Silence filled the air as I could feel the sadness that was seeping into the atmosphere. Uncle Kwon saw the hesitation in me and told me to stop narrating if I'm not comfortable anymore. I looked around and saw the concerned look in everyone's eyes.

"It's okay, Uncle Kwon. I believe everyone wants to know more about my condition." I said as the old man nodded his head before I continued talking. "Halmeoni was there during Grandma's funeral. I was surprised initially but Halmeoni told me that she and Grandma had been keeping in touch with each other in secret. Halmeoni asked if I wanted to return to Seoul with her but I hesitated. I know that Harabeoji didn't like me. Even during my parents's funeral, he ignored my presence. I asked Halmeoni if she knew about my medical condition and she said that she was the only one who was aware of it. I told her that I couldn't take a flight or any form of vehicle. Halmeoni left for Seoul that night."

"She just left like that?" Yuri asked as I nodded my head.

"But she came back the next week. With a doctor. After some checks, the doctor gave me some pills for me to take to calm myself down and that was how I managed to return to Seoul. Until now, the doctor still take cares of me. With her help, I managed to improve my condition as how it is right now. I could be in a vehicle, provided that I'm the one driving and I'm the only one in it. Riding was much easier for me since my condition doesn't allow me to be in an enclosed area for too long. I still keep my medications with me. Just in case."

"Your condition, was it because of the accident?" Uncle Kwon asked as I nodded my head.

"The doctor said that it was a trauma from the accident which led to my condition." I added on.

"What actually happened during the accident?" Yoona asked as I turned to look at her with a frown since I was trying to hold back my tears.

"Maybe we should talk about this another day." Aunt Kwon quickly suggested as I rubbed my face. "I think Eunjin has told us a lot for the night. Why don't you stay here for the night, Eunjin? Taeyeon and Sunny should stay too. You girls can share the bed with Yuri, Yoona and Seohyun in their respective bedrooms."

I looked at the watch and just realised that it was already past midnight.

"Stay the night, girls." Uncle Kwon said to us as Taeyeon and Sunny nodded their heads before he turned to face me. "You don't have to think so much about it, Eunjin. Your dad was like a brother to me which means you're my daughter too. Just like how Sunny and Taeyeon are my daughters too. It's too late to ride or drive and it's been a long night." Uncle Kwon said as I slowly nodded my head.

"There goes Hyunnie's chance." Yuri suddenly commented, causing all of us to look at her. "Hyunnie used to dream of marrying you but since Appa already said that you're his daughter, that means you're our sibling. You can't marry your own sibling."

"Unnie!!!"

All of us started laughing when we saw Seohyun literally turning red before we decided to rest for the night.

************************

Jessica kept tossing around on her bed before she finally sat up straight. Ruffling her hair, she climbed down from her bed and walked to the kitchen. After drinking a glass of warm milk, she was about to walk back to her room when Tiffany walked out from her own room.

"Oh my god!!" Tiffany half shouted with her eyes wide opened when she saw Jessica along the corridor. "Yah!! What the hell are you doing, awake at 3 in the morning?"

"I couldn't sleep. And why are you awake by the way?" Jessica asked as she placed her hand on her door knob.

"I need the toilet." Tiffany pointed to the common toilet that was in between their rooms.

Jessica just nodded her head and made her way to her bed after closing the door. Just when she was about to pull her blanket up, she heard her bedroom door opening.

"Did you just say that you couldn't sleep? As in you, the sleeping beauty, couldn't sleep? That's weird." Tiffany said as she sat at the edge of Jessica's bed. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. By the way, have you used the toilet yet?" Jessica pointed to Tiffany who nodded her head in reply. "That's fast."

Tiffany grinned as she scooted further up on to Jessica's bed, lying on her stomach while preventing Jessica from pulling her blanket up.

"You're not fine. I know that something is bothering you. So it's either you tell me what it is or you can spend the next 2 weeks without any proper sleep because I'm going to make sure you don't get any." Tiffany arched her eyebrow at Jessica.

Jessica sighed as she stared blankly at her good friend. "It's Yuri."

"Yuri? You mean Kwon Yuri? What's wrong with her?" Tiffany asked.

"I can't believe she doesn't remember me. And she changed so much." Jessica pouted and folded her arms across her chest. "To think that I used to have a crush on her."

"Mwo?!!"

(Flashback 10yrs ago)

Jessica's POV

It was already the 3rd semester when I was  transferred to this school after my parents decided to come back to Seoul from LA. I was looking around for my class when someone hit my shoulders while running along the corridor. That action caused me to drop my books which I was holding against my chest.

"Yah!! Stop running around. Idiots"

I was about to shout at the person but someone had overtook me in doing so as I looked to my side. That person was bending on one knee as she picked up my books on the floor.

"Here's your books. Be careful next time. There's a lot of hyperactive kids in this school, running around as if it's a playground." The girl smiled at me as I just stared blankly at her.

She walked away even before I could say my thanks to her.

'If only I saw her nametag.'

Two weeks later, I saw the same girl again during our school sports day. From a distance, I realised that she had tanned skin as she ran on the school tracks. She was making a lot of funny faces while running which was causing a lot of laughters among the spectators who were watching. I continued watching her and didn't realised that I was smiling all the way.

It was already my 2nd year in high school and it seemed that I had created a name for myself. Everyone called me the ice princess because of the way I looked at them. I couldn't be bothered with them anyway since I was alone most of the time. Even during lunch, I would go to the school rooftop to eat the packed lunch that Omma had made for me.

As I made my way to the rooftop one day, I was stopped by 3 girls at the staircase leading to the rooftop entrance. I didn't recognise any of them and tried to maneuver myself away from them.

"Hey, Ice princess. You think you're so great, is it? Stealing someone's else boyfriend and pretending as if you're so innocent."

One of the girl pointed her finger at me as I continued to stare at her. My actions must have agitated them as another girl grabbed my paper bag that consists of my lunchbox.

"Yah!! Give me back my paperbag." I shouted as the girls just laughed at me.

One of the girls took out my lunchbox from the paperbag and was about to throw it to the floor when someone grabbed her wrist, trying to prevent her from doing so but the lunchbox still dropped to the floor.

"You shouldn't play with food. Especially if it's not yours."

I couldn't see who had said that since I was busy looking at my lunch that was all over the floor with watery eyes as the 3 girls ran off. I heard them mumbling about the head prefect but I was busy squatting down to try and pick up whatever that could be saved until a hand pulled me up.

"Stop. There's nothing you can eat. It's all spoilt."

"I don't care. My mum spent a lot of time preparing it for me. I can't let it go to waste." I answered quickly without even looking at the person in front of me.

"You shouldn't eat spoilt food. You're going to get sick and trouble your mum with your sickness. Take this instead."

A paperbag was shoved towards me as the person bent down to pick up my lunchbox that was already empty from the floor. She handed it over to me and walked away.

'Kwon Yuri'.

That was the name written on the lunchbox which was inside the paperbag that was shoved to me.

"So the one who helped you with your books and your lunchbox was Yuri? Both of you were in the same high school?" Tiffany asked the moment Jessica ended her story. 

Jessica nodded her head as Tiffany asked if Jessica really did stole someone's else boyfriend as what the 3 girls had mentioned.

"Of course not. I'm not that kind of person even though I might look cold on the outside. They were just trying to create trouble with me but luckily, Yuri was there." Jessica explained with a slight smile on her face.

"You said the girls had mentioned about the head prefect before running off. Was there another person who had helped you?" Tiffany enquired.

"Yuri was the head prefect. She's also the swimming team captain and a track & field member. You can say that she's quite well-known in school." Jessica added on. 

"Which is why I'm guessing that you didn't approached her, right?" Tiffany asked again as Jessica nodded her head. "How do you expect her to know you when you've never introduced yourself to her?" .

"But she knew my name. It was during our graduation. Everyone was busy taking pictures and I was about to walk out from the school hall when she called me. 'Sica'. That was what she said. No one had called me that before. She walked up to me with that silly grin on her face and asked my permission to take a photo together. I agreed but after we were done, she was pulled away by her friends to take more photos. She told me to wait for her and I did but she didn't return after an hour so I left."

"So throughout high school, you had a crush on Yuri?" Tiffany pointed a finger at Jessica who shyly nodded. "Oh my god. This is so cute. You and her together would be great."

"Anni. I'm not interested in a player like her anymore. I stopped having a crush on her after one of my friends, who went to the same university as Yuri, informed me about her flirting ways. I didn't expect her to change though. Through my observation, she was really a nice person back then even though we were never friends." Jessica said.

"But Yuri is really a nice person even though I have to admit that she's a player. She told me before that something happened in the past that resulted in her having commitment issues but didn't elaborate anything about it. What if you're the one for her? The one who will stop her from being a player and be committed to one single relationship." Tiffany suggested but before Jessica could reply her, Tiffany gasped. "Oh my god! I just realised something. You're not straight. You used to have a crush on Yuri. I told you so."

Jessica threw a pillow at Tiffany as the girl started to laugh while Jessica rolled her eyes at her.

"By the way, when did you realise that you knew her from high school? Was it at the car showroom?" Tiffany stopped laughing and asked.

"I was surprised when you called out her name that day and when I saw her grinning, I was almost sure that she was the one. But she didn't seem to recognise me so I thought it was not her. Until she called me 'Sica' at the restaurant. That was when I confirmed it was her. "Jessica didn't realised that she was blushing when she recalled the moment at the restaurant.

"I can see that you still like her." Tiffany teased before she gave her totoro smile to Jessica who didn't looked amused.

"Go away. I'm sleepy."

And with that, Tiffany was kicked off from her bed as she pulled the blanket over her head.

************************

"Hey, Krystal. Any plans for today?"

Krystal looked up from her study table to observe her two friends, Sulli and Luna, making their way to her bed before they sat at the edge.

"No plans. Why?"

"Sulli is hungry but she's too lazy to cook." Luna replied as she poked Sulli's cheek while the girl grinned dorkily at Krystal.

"I'm not in the mood to cook either. So don't expect me to do so. Furthermore, I'm not hungry." Krystal replied with a cold glare at her friends before turning to her assignments.

"We were not planning to ask you to cook. We were thinking of going to Twin Towers to get our lunch. But since you're not hungry..." Sulli's words were interrupted by Krystal who turned around instantly.

"Let's go then." Krystal answered as she smiled sheepishly at her two friends who were laughing at her.

"We'll need to get a cab there since Ailee has already graduated a few weeks ago. By the way, will Amber be there?" Luna asked as Krystal nodded her head.

"It's the weekends. She should be there." Krystal replied.

"You should really confess to Amber if you like her that much. I can see that she likes you too." Sulli suggested as the 3 of them made their way out from their shared dorms.

"But Amber seems to like everyone. Or does everyone seems to like Amber?" Luna commented with a slight frown as if she was thinking.

"I don't know. Whatever it is, I'm not even sure if I really like her in that way. I mean as in love her or want to be in a relationship with her." Krystal looked unsure of her own statement as Sulli placed her arm on Krystal's shoulders.

"But if Amber confess to you and wants you to be her girlfriend, will you accept her?" Sulli's question caused Krystal to think for a while before she shrugged her shoulders.

An hour later, the 3 girls walked in and were greeted by Hyoyeon who had recognised them as Amber's friend. She ushered them to a table, before handing out the menu to them.

"Amber's in the kitchen, disturbing Yoona and Victoria since there's not much customers at the moment. I'll go and inform her that you girls are here." Hyoyeon informed them.

"Thanks, Unnie." Luna replied while Krystal and Sulli just bowed their head a little.

While they were going through the menu, Amber came up to them and took a seat beside Krystal. Smiling away and suggesting some food choices to them, Krystal was just nodding her head and hiding her blush.

"Hey, Krys. Why are you still so shy around me? Do you have a crush on me?" Amber teased as Luna and Sulli just giggled.

"Shut up, stupid." Krystal rebutted as she rolled her eyes at Amber who had started to laugh.

Once the girl had made their orders, Amber left to get their food and drinks. Yoona walked out from the kitchen and saw the girls there as she made her way to greet them.

"Hi, girls. Have you placed your orders yet?" Yoona asked as they nodded their heads. "Your unnie came last week. Along with Tiffany-unnie."

"My unnie? You mean all of you have met my sister?" Krystal was surprised since her sister had not informed her about it.

"Your unnie's name is Jessica, right?" Yoona asked as Krystal nodded her head. "We had a little chat when she was here. She kept saying that I look like her sister which I presumed is you."

Food arrived soon as the girls started to eat and chat until they finished their lunch. By then, the cafe had started to fill up with customers as Sulli, Luna and Krystal made their way to the counter for payment.

Amber was at the counter when she handed 3 cups of iced capuccino to them and said that it was her treat for them.

"Are you sure this is for us or only for Krystal but since we are here, you have no choice but to treat us too?" Luna teased as Amber grinned sheepishly.

"Do you have a crush on Krystal, Am?" Sulli continued to tease as Krystal just glared at her.

"Take care girls. I'll see you around in campus." Amber said before she grabbed the menu and left to serve a group of customers that had just walked in.

Sulli and Luna continued to tease Krystal as they made their way to the door. Krystal was too busy trying to punch her friends' shoulders that she had accidentally missed her footing and almost tripped backwards but a pair of hands grabbed her shoulders to prevent her from falling.

Krystal was about to thank the person as she turned around but she was surprised when the person shoved into her, causing her to spill the ice cappucino onto her shirt.

"YAH!!!"

Krystal's shout was heard, loud and clear as her friends turned to look at the mess on her shirt.

"Ooopsss." A tanned girl scratched her head as she turned to her left to look at the person who was looking speechless at the moment. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shove my friend into you. It's not her fault."

Krystal continued to glare at the person in front of her, who could only managed to blink her eyes repeatedly.