chapter 26

Hard But Easy

I looked at the lift in front of me and took a deep breathe. While I waited for the lift to arrive, my phone vibrated and  I saw a message from Krystal.

Will you be okay? - Krystal

If I'm not, will you come and rescue me, Princess? - Eunjin

Your princess is busy with school work at the moment. - Krystal

A wide grin appeared on my face when I read the last message from Krystal. 'My princess?'. I was about to type a reply when another message appeared.

I meant 'The princess is busy'. Anyway, Hwaiting!! - Krystal

I chuckled to myself as I quickly typed a reply.

It doesn't matter if it's 'Your' or 'The'. What matters is you are 'My' Princess. :P Thank you for the moral support. - Eunjin

Keeping my phone away, I smiled and walked into the lift that had just arrived and pressed the number 20. Taking a deep breathe, I straightened my suit and clasped my hands together.

It seemed like only yesterday since I confessed my feelings to Krystal and asked her for a chance to get to know her better. After I found out that Krystal had rejected Amber, I had asked her out on a date.

(Flashback)

"Really? You really rejected her?" My eyes widened as I looked straight at Krystal who was nodding her head. "Seriously? You're not kidding me, right?"

"Okay. You're starting to get on my nerve." Krystal stopped nodding and started to glare as she folded her arms.

"Arraeseo, arraseo. I believe you." I quickly lifted up both my hands as a gesture of giving up. "So does that mean I can ask you out on a date?"

"Are you asking her now? Because that is sooo not romantic." Tiffany butted in as I kept blinking my eyes while looking a little lost.

"I think Eunjin finally realised that she's going to have to ask Krystal out for a date and our dear friend does not know what to say or do." Yuri said with a cheeky grin as I pouted at her while the rest just looked at the two of us. "She's never been on a date."

"Really?" Krystal used the same tone that I had used on her earlier before she started giggling. "Cute."

"Jung Soojung, since when did you start using informal speech with me?"

My question caused her to stop giggling as she realised that she had not called me Unnie since Halmeoni left the table earlier. She quickly apologised and bite her lips nervously while I just smiled dorkily at her.

"Are you bullying my sister now, Eunjin? In front of me?" Jessica's cold voice caused my smile to disappear as I turned to face her. Shaking my head, I replied that I was just teasing Krystal with no intention of bullying her. "If my sister agrees to go on a date with you, you better make sure that you treat her right. If not, I'm going to go after you."

"Why are you going after Eunjin? Do you have feelings for her?"

Yuri's question caused everyone to laugh as she was hit lightly on the head by Jessica. After explaning properly, Yuri finally understood Jessica's remarks earlier.

"Can I send you home, instead of you hitching a ride back with Yuri?" I asked Krystal who looked at me before she turned to look at Jessica.

Seeing her sister shrugging her shoulders, Krystal nodded her head. All of us then decided to make a move so Krystal followed me to my motorbike. Taking my spare helmet from my topbox, I removed my beanie and started to tussle my own hair. Seeing that I had removed the beanie, Krystal did the same too and started to use her fingers to comb her hair backwards.

"Unnie, don't you know that it's rude to stare?" Krystal's remark caused me to abruptly closed my mouth and swallowed my saliva.

I didn't realise that I had been staring at her with my mouth agape, watching her combing her hair. I ended up grinning like an idiot as I closed my topbox.

Putting on the spare helmet on Krystal and locking the strap, our eyes met and I smiled. "It's not rude if you're staring to appreciate the beauty that's in front of you."

Krystal blushed and looked down as a smirk appeared on my face while I grabbed my helmet which was hung on the side of the motorbike. Sitting on my bike while starting the engine, I waited for Krystal to climb up as she placed her hand on my shoulder for support.

The journey to her apartment took about 30mins as I noticed Yuri's car parked at one of the lots. As I waited for Krystal to remove the helmet, I took out her beanie from the topbox. It was then that I realised, the beanie that Krystal had worn the whole day, was the one that I had bought for her on her birthday.

"Thank you for the present." Krystal said as she held out the helmet and gestured for the beanie. "I didn't get the chance to thank you for giving me a present and even singing a song for me on my birthday."

"But I heard that you were not that happy on that day." I said while I closed the topbox and Krystal was putting on the beanie.

"It was a misunderstanding. If only I had known that my Unnie was dating Yuri-unnie, I won't have felt upset that night. But thinking back, I really appreciated the effort that you put in." Krystal explained. "By the way, talking about your singing, there is a line in that song that says 'someone loves you'. If that song was for me, than who is that someone?"

I could see the mischievous grin on Krystal face as she pretended to blink her eyes innocently. "What song did I sing? I don't remember singing that line though." 

Krystal pouted and huffed out in cute angry manner as she rolled her eyes at me. I started chuckling and was about to say something when my phone rang.

"Yeobeseyo.. Yes, Halmeoni... I understand... I'll think about it and gave you my answer by next Thursday.... Arraeseo. Take care, Halmeoni." 

Subconsciously, I let out a sigh after I ended the conversation and kept my phone in my pocket.

"Is everything okay?" Krystal asked as I gave her a smile and nodded my head slightly. "Are you sure?"

"What time do you finish school on Wednesday?"

(End of flashback)

************************

Krystal's POV

I quickly put my phone aside after reading the last reply from Eunjin-unnie. Feeling a slight kick on my left ankle. I turned to see Luna and Sulli grinning at me. The 3 of us were having a lecture in the auditorium so we were sitting side by side at the back.

"Wae?" I asked as Sulli started scribbling something on a piece of paper. She handed it over to Luna who then wrote something too before giving me the note. "Who did you message with since you were smiling to yourself? - Sulli. Is that Eunjin-unnie? - Luna."

I read out the questions softly before folding it into half. Both of them knew of me rejecting Amber at the club. They also knew that I had went out with Eunjin-unnie last Wednesday after our class ended. They've been trying to find out more but I was not ready to tell them anything since it was only the first time.

Another kick was felt as I turned to look at both my friends who were gesturing me to reply to the note. I meronged at them and  tried to concentrate on the lecture but I was having problem doing so since my mind was thinking of Eunjin-unnie.

'I wonder if she could manage the position on her own. Hopefully, Halmeoni will be there to help her out.'

(Flashback last Wednesday)

"Hi there."

I rolled my eyes at the grinning girl in front of me who had just greeted me while waving her hand excitedly. I saw her pouting before I started to smile at her.

"It's only 12pm now. You've not taken your lunch, right?" I nodded my head to her question. "Good. Because I brought some kimchi fried rice for you."

"Did you cook it yourself, Eunjin-unnie?" I asked as I saw her nodding her head.

"I took leave today so I managed to cook before I left home. Luckily, you don't have afternoon classes today. So I can bring you to my most favourite place."

I was about to ask her about that place when she put on the helmet for me and locked the strap. No more words were exhanged between us as I wrapped my arms around Eunjin-unnie's waist when she rode out from the campus.

When we finally arrived at the place, I finally understood why it was Eunjin-unnie's favourite place. She had brought me to the columbarium but before we entered, she led me to a small park at the side where there was a bench. The building was situated at a high place so the view was stunning when we sat down at the bench.

"Here. We need to eat first. My parents don't like it if we came with an empty stomach." A grin appeared as she took out two lunch boxes from the bag that she had carried from the topbox earlier. "I apologised if the taste is not to your liking."

I opened up the box and saw that there was also a fried egg on top of the fried rice. I'm not sure if I was really hungry by then or because the food was really tasty but I managed to finish up everything in 15mins. Even Eunjin-unnie was surprised since she still had a little bit of leftover when I was done.

"Do you want some more?" She asked but I shook my head.

"Thank you for the food. It was delicious." I said as Eunjin-unnie smiled and quickly finished up her food.

"Hold on a second." She suddenly stood up and ran to her motorbike befor coming back with two bottles of mineral water. "Here you go. One for you and one for me."

As I took a sip from the bottle, I came to realise that both of us didn't really have to talk much to each other yet I've felt more comfortable with Eunjin-unnie than I ever was when I'm with Amber.

"Ready to go?" She asked me as both of us made our way in to the columbarium. After walking a distance, we stopped in front of one of the glass cabinet. "Omma, Appa."

I saw her bowing her head slightly as I followed her actions. As I Iooked up, I saw a bouquet of white lilies that looked so familiar. It was not as fresh as the one that I had seen before since the flowers had withered but I was sure it was the same one.

"Why are you staring at the flower?" I heard Eunjin-unnie asking as I explained to her what I saw at the mall with Luna. "It was their death anniversary date. I would usually bring my Omma's favourite flower and a bottle of rice wine for my Appa. Coincidentally, their death date is exactly a week before your birthday."

I saw a slight change in Eunjin-unnie's smile as she gestured me to sit down at the couch in front of her parent's glass display.

"Appa, Harabeoji had a mishap. He's lying unconsious at the hospital at the moment. Halmeoni is worried about him even though she doesn't show it. She's worried that Harabeoji would leave her behind, just like you and Omma."

I listened to everything that Eunjin-unnie confessed to her parents. She didn't look at me at all, as if my presence was not there. Hearing her sad voice, I took her right hand and clasped it together. It was then that she turned around and smiled at me.

"Omma, Appa. Let me introduce you to someone special. Her name is Krystal Jung Soo Jung. We're currently trying to get to know each other better. She's pretty, right? Even though she's got a cold icy glare, her heart is warm and she's scared of a lot of things too."

I slapped her shoulders lightly when she chuckled at her own remarks. She continued talking about how we met up and some of the incidents that happened between us.

"She's younger than me. But I don't like her to call me Unnie. What do you think she should call me with?" Eunjin-unnie looked at me and smiled. "I think she would be calling me with 'Yah' often."

"Yah!" I accidentally burst out saying as Eunjin-unnie started laughing out loud as I ended up laughing together. "I'm sorry."

We stopped laughing after a few minutes as I felt Eunjin-unnie rubbing the top of my hand as she took a deep breathe.

"Krystal, there's a lot of things that you have yet to know about me but don't worry, I have no intention of keeping secrets from you. Remember that day when I received a call from Halmeoni?" Eunjin-unnie asked as I nodded my head. "I need to take over my Harabeoji's position in the company."

************************

"How was work?"

I looked at Krystal and pouted. Taking a deep breathe, I leaned back to the bench as I closed my eyes since the sun was glaring. It was a Saturday and both of us were at the Han river after I picked up Krystal from Jessica's apartment. It's been a week since I had taken over Harabeoji's position in the office and more than a week since I last saw Krystal.

"It was boring. All paperwork and meetings. Deadlines, approval, decisions to make." I complained and leaned my head on Krystal's shoulder. "I miss the workshop."

I felt Krystal's hand patting on my head and it brought a smile to my face. For the past one week, even though we were not able to meet up, both of us kept in touch through calls and messages. I rarely would complain or talk about work with Krystal when we were on the phone. I felt that there were better things to talk about and things to find out about each other. But since she had asked me about work earlier, I took the opportunity to express it all out.

"You didn't say anything about work to me for the past one week so I thought that everything was fine. Isn't there anyone to help you out?" Krystal asked as I straightened myself and turned to look at her. "Seeing you complaining just now, it must have been a hard for you."

"Maybe it's still something new to me and I need more time to adjust. Halmeoni and Uncle Park had been helping me a lot for the past one week. If they were not there, I think I would have given up a long time ago. Maybe I should just sell of the company." I started to smirk  before laughing out in an evil manner.

"Stupid. Are you going to throw away your Harabeoji's hard work just like that? It's a family business, right?." Krystal said as she glared at me while I pouted.

When we were at the columbarium previously, I had explained everything to Krystal. About my relationship with my Harabeoji and Halmeoni, about who my Harabeoji was, about what happened between my Appa and Harabeoji. Krystal was really shocked when she found out the truth. She never expected me to be the granddaughter of such a huge corporation.

"It is a family business. My Harabeoji inherited it from his father who was the one who built the company. Han Jin which means one jewel. That's why all of us have the word 'Jin' in our names. Harabeoji's name is Han Jin Young. Appa was Han Jin Taek and me, Han Eun Jin." I explained as Krystal nodded her head.

"It's kind of cute that your family followed such tradition. But how come your 'Jin' is the 3rd word and not the 2nd word like your Appa and Harabeoji?"

"Because I'm a girl." I replied as Krystal gave me a disbelief look. "Wae? You don't believe that I'm a girl?"

"Of course not, stupid. I just find it ridiculous that the reasoning is so gender-biased." Krystal replied as I smiled at her.

"Is stupid my new nickname?" I gave her a dorky grin while she rolled her eyes at me. "Am I your special stupid?"

Krystal's POV

I couldn't control my laughter the moment she mentioned the word 'special stupid.' Both of us ended up laughing at each other before Eunjin said that she was hungry. We've been hanging out at the Han river for the past one hour, just sitting at the bench and chatting away.

It was already 2pm when we finally made a move from the bench. As she held my hand and led me to her motorbike, I couldn't stop wondering about how strong a person Eunjin was. Everytime I tried to put myself in her shoes, I would always end up feeling depress and sad. Losing your parents at a tender age of 10yrs old. Living in a foreign country and having to take care of an ailing grandmother who then passed away 4yrs later. These few factors could already brought tears to my eyes.

But here she was. Living a life independently, without having to rely on her rich grandfather's money and even having a Master degree on her own effort. Although she looked so tough on the outside, my guts feeling told me that all of that was a facade. Deep inside her, she yearned for someone who could love and care for her.

"What's in your thoughts?"

I almost jerked when her question caused my train of thoughts to be disrupted. She was smiling at me, while holding on to the spare helmet in her hand.

"Nothing."

She didn't seemed to believe me as she arched her eyebrow before putting on the helmet on me. As she locked the strap, there was a smirk on her face before she broke into a smile.

"I'm not going to force you to tell me everything but if you think you need someone to share your thoughts, I'll be here."

I watched as she climbed on her motorbike and started the engine while waiting for me to climb on. I couldn't remember how many times I had taken a ride with Eunjin-unnie but everytime I wrapped my arms around her waist, it was the most comfortable thing to do. I knew that she rode very fast if she's alone but everytime if I was with her on the motorbike, Eunjin-unnie would ensure that she rode in the speed that would not make me feel uncomfortable.

Eunjin's POV

I brought her to a mall to have our lunch at a Korean restaurant. We looked through the menu and the waitress took our order as I emphasized on the need to ensure that there was no cucumbers in our meal. Krystal had told me before during one of our night chatting session that she and her sister hated cucumbers. I also found out that contrary to her sister, Krystal was more active in sports.

"How's school so far? This is your last year, right?" I asked as Krystal nodded her head and informed that her class schedules had been tighter and she's been spending a lot of time with Luna and Sulli for their assignments and thesis. "Hhhmmm.. How about.. I mean.. You and.. Hhhhmmm.. Forget it."

I scratched the back of my head when I found it difficult to ask Krystal the next question. She looked at me with a frown before I saw her sighing.

"If you wanted to ask about Amber, just go ahead. If you want to know, we have not seen each other since I rejected her." Krystal's explanation could only caused me to blink my eyes repeatedly. "You must be thinking how that's that even possible when we are staying in the same dormitory building, right? I myself is not sure how she manage to just sort of disappear."

"Are you a mind reader?" I looked at Krystal as I leaned back a little. "How can you know what I had in mind?"

"Telepathic." Krystal answered with that smug look on her face as I rolled my eyes at her. "It's not that difficult to guess anyway. You were not able to form a proper question after I mentioned Sulli and Luna so I guess that it must be about Amber. One thing lead to another. That's all."

I was about to say something when our food arrived and the topic changed to something about the winter season and also about what food I was able to prepare on my own. Lunch ended after an hour of chatting and teasing each other as we decided to walk around the mall so that we could digest the food. Krystal seemed to enjoy shopping as I just followed her from one shop to another.

But I noticed something about her shopping style. Krystal seemed to like colors that are very basic such as black, white and grey. We were browsing through some clothings when someone called out to Krystal. Turning around, we found out that the person was Ailee.

"Hi Krystal. And... Eunjin, right?" Ailee seemed to have forgotten my name but smiled when I nodded my head. "It's been a while since I last saw the both of you. Was it at the amusement park that we last met?"

"I believe so." I answered as Krystal just looked blankly at Ailee. "Shopping alone?"

"Anni. I'm with Amber. She went to the Ladies for a while. So where's the other girls, Sulli and Luna?" Ailee asked as she tried to look around.  

"It's just the two of us." Krystal answered and I noticed a little annoyance in her tone of voice.

"Just the two of you?" Ailee had a surprised look on her face. "Are the two of you dating each other?"

I was about to answer her when Krystal suddenly apologised and said that both of us were running late to catch a movie. As she pulled me away, I saw the frown on Ailee's face and at the same time, I saw Amber approaching her from a distance. Amber didn't seemed to have seen us as I continued to be dragged out from the shop by Krystal.

After we were a distance away, Krystal finally stopped and released her grip on my wrist. I turned to my side to look at her as Krystal folded her arms while glaring at me.

"Why are you so friendly with her?" Krystal's question caused me to frown and before I could reply, she continued talking. "Did you really have to ask if she was alone? So what if she is? Are you planning to ask her to join us?"

My frown deepened as I observed the cold glare that Krystal was giving me. It was not the normal kind of glare that I was becoming accustomed to. It was a glare of jealousy as she waited for me to explain.

I looked around and saw a bench nearby before making my way there to sit down. Krystal must have been totally shocked with my actions as I looked at her and patted the empty seat beside me.

"I can explain my actions but I'm not going to do so unless you erase that jealous thought in your head and calm down."

Krystal blinked her eyes repeatedly and for a minute, I thought that she was going to walk away from me. But surprisingly, she came to sit down beside me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to react that way." Krystal pouted a little.

"I asked her earlier out of courtesy and had no intention of asking her to join us on our date. But I can understand your anger. You had always been jealous of Ailee's presence because of Amber. Am I right?" A nod of the head caused me to sigh. "Should I be the one feeling jealous now since you seem to be afraid that she would find out about us?"