Chapter 91

Hard But Easy

Sooyoung's POV

"Eunjin... Eunjin..." I frowned a little when she didn't respond so I nudged her by her shoulder. It seemed that she was in deep thoughts and was surprised by my action.

"Huh?" 

Looking at her blurry expression, it was obvious that she didn't hear me calling her. "What's wrong? I called you twice but you didn't respond. Is everything okay?" I asked while pretending as if I wanted to take a peek at her phone.

"Oh sorry." Eunjin replied as she quickly kept her phone in her pocket. "I was thinking about something. Anyway, are you planning to meet Yoona later?"

I nodded my head and told her that I've made arrangements to meet her at the hotel lobby in 30mins time. Yoona would wait for me before going to meet the restaurant's chef to finalise the menu. Eunjin nodded her head while listening to my explanation before asking me to leave quickly so that Yoona would not have to wait long for me.

"What about you?" I asked her as she didn't seemed like she was leaving the place at the moment.

"I need to go through some renovation details so I'll stay here for a while." Eunjin smiled but I could sense that she was forcing the smile.

"Not meeting up with Krystal?" 

"Maybe later. You should make a move now. Don't make your future wife wait for you. Both of you need to be together at times like this."

I asked her how long she was planning to stay at the workshop but Eunjin just shrugged her shoulders. I knew something was not right. Actually, I managed to see the message that she received earlier on.

'Jongin? That name sounds familiar but I can't remember who the person was. I didn't want to ask Eunjin directly since I didn't want her to know that I saw the message and she herself didn't seem like she wanted to talk about it.'

I thought to myself as I grabbed my belongings and got ready to meet Yoona.

"Bye, Eunjin. Take care and don't forget to eat your lunch." I said as I pushed the door while she waved at me with a smile.

Throughout the journey as I made my way to the hotel, that name was stuck in my head until I heard my phone ringing. It was Yoona, who was informing me that she had just reached the hotel with her mum.

"Okay. I'll be reaching soon in about 10mins. By the way, do you know anyone by the name of Jongin?" 

"Jongin? Isn't that the name of Krystal's friend? The one that was supposed to have a crush on her. Wae?" Yoona asked as I told her that I would explain everything to her once I've reached the hotel.

The phone conversation ended and a frown appeared on my face as questions after questions went through my head.

Jessica's POV

"Hey, why are you still lying around on the bed? Not going out? No lunch date with Eunjin?"

I walked into the guest room where Krystal had stayed the night and sat at the edge of the bed while my sister flipped through the pages of a magazine that she was holding on to.

Krystal ignored my questions initially before I kept bugging her about it.

"I don't know. She has yet to contact me since last night." Krystal replied as I frowned.

"She didn't message you at all? Does she even know that you slept over at my place last night?"

"I did message her that I'm not going back to the apartment since she told me that she might be sleeping over at her grandparents place." Krystal replied with her attention still on the magazine.

"And what was her reply to your message?" I asked and was surprised when Krystal just shrugged her shoulders. "What is that even suppose to mean?"

"It means there was no reply. After I left her that message, I kept the phone in my bag and until now, I didn't even hear any beeping sound from the bag."

"Tell me the truth. Did both of you quarrel? It's impossible that Eunjin has yet to contact you since it's already noon. Where's your phone?" I held out my hand as Krystal just pointed to her handbag that was hanging by the closet door. "So? Are you going to tell me what happened?"

I made my way to her handbag as I waited for her to speak up. I listened to her story about what happened the night before she went out for dinner with Jongin. I rummaged through her bag while I listened to her story but I couldn't find it.

"Soojung, wait. Stop talking. I can't seem to find your phone."

"It's in there, Unnie. Seriously... You really can't multi task." Krystal giggled at me as she stood up and made her way towards me. "Let me do it. You might end up tearing my whole bag, looking for it."

I rolled my eyes and handed the bag to her while I made my way back to have a seat at the edge of the bed. I observed as she rummaged through the bag but after 10mins, it was obvious that the phone was not inside.

"Oh no. It's really not in here. Oh my god. Did I left it at the restaurant? Or did I drop it somewhere?" 

Krystal was talking to herself as I found it amusing and started giggling.

"It's with Jongin."

Both of us turned towards the door to come face to face with Yuri who had her arms folded and looking a little pissed off.

"What is with Jongin?" I asked as Yuri stared at Krystal.

"Your sister's phone. Jongin used your phone to reply to a message sent from Eunjin to you."

"What?!!!"

Both me and Krystal had the same reaction as Yuri started explaining about how Yoona had called her to inform that Sooyoung had met up with Eunjin. Yoona narrated what happened during the time where Eunjin had received the message from Jongin.

Yuri's POV

I stood by the door while I explained what Yoona had told me earlier. But I didn't tell them that I had called Sooyoung after that and she had additional info about the whole situation.

(Flashback ten minutes ago)

"Hey Soo, Yoona just called me. She mentioned about that message which you saw on Eunjin's phone. The one from Jongin."

"Ouhhh... Yoona told you about it? I didn't mean to take a peek at Eunjin's phone but she was looking a little lost after she received that message. I knew she was suppose to be waiting for Krystal's reply but I didn't expect that message from Jongin. By the way, is everything okay between Krystal and Eunjin?" Sooyoung asked.

"I guess so. Wae?"

"She doesn't seem fine. She arrived at the workshop 20mins after I did, looking troubled but she pretended as if she was okay. I was surprised when she told me that she had yet to tell Krystal about our new project. I thought she was super excited about letting Krystal know of her new workplace." 

"Something disrupted Eunjin's plan to inform and break the news to Krystal." I replied to Sooyoung, remembering about how Krystal didn't attend the dinner at Eunjin's grandparent's place. "Anyway, thanks for informing me about what happened earlier, Soo. I won't take too much of your time since I know that you need to settle your wedding stuff. Don't forget to approach me if you need any help, okay."

"Will do, Yul. No worries about that. We're going to be family soon."

I ended the phone conversation with a laugh before making my way to the guest room.

(End of flashbacks)

"Oh no. It's really not in here. Oh my god. Did I left it at the restaurant? Or did I drop it somewhere?" 

I heard Krystal's words the moment I reached the door that was already wide open and I already knew what she was looking for.

The moment I told them about her phone and Jongin's message to Eunjin from Krystal's phone, both girls started to flare up. Krystal was angry with Jongin for using her phone without her permission, which she felt like it was a sign of disrespect. Jessica was also angry with Krystal for being careless.

I observed the two sisters arguing about the whole situation for 10mins before I decided to step in.

"Girls!! What are both of you doing? Sica, there's no use being angry with Krystal because it's not as if she was being careless on purpose. And Krystal, don't you think you need to do some explanation to someone?"

************************

I was rolling up the big floorplan on the table when I heard rapid knockings at the glass door behind. Turning around, a familiar figure was waving her hand at me as I gestured for her to enter.

"Hey. How come you're here?" I smiled as I pulled out a chair for the lady to sit.

"I was on my way home from work and was driving by when I noticed someone inside here so I came to check it out."

"Night shift?" I asked as she nodded her head. "It's tough work being a doctor. Your weekends are usually spend at the hospital."

"But it's an honourable job. Furthermore, I'm still single. Weekends or weekdays don't really matter to me."

"Your parents must be really proud of you. Luckily, you manage to get a transfer to a hospital in Seoul. I know how worried Uncle Park is, everytime you're away from them. Anyway, have you eaten yet?"

Shin Hye shook her head as I suggested for us to get some food delivery since I was feeling a little hungry at the moment. After Uncle Park agreed to take over my place at the company, his whole family shifted back to Seoul which included his daughter. Currently, she's working at Seoul Hospital which was a few streets away from my workshop.

"So, how come you're here on a Sunday? Is there renovation work done today?" Shin Hye asked as we waited for the food to arrive.

"Anni. I just came to check on some stuff and look through the floorplan again. Just to make sure that everything is going as plan." 

"I see. Workholic, just like my dad. By the way, remember you asked me to check out some recipes from my baker friend a few weeks ago? She had just sent me the recipes through email which I had forwarded to you before I left work just now. Did you received it?"

"I can't check my mail at the moment. My phone just died on me 10mins before you arrived here. I had forgotten to charge it last night." I grinned apologetically as Shin Hye replied that it was okay. "I'll check on it once I get back home and inform you about it."

"You need to try out the recipe too, just to ensure that it's okay for your cafe. You said that you had hired your own chef, right?"

Both of us continued chatting away until the delivery man arrived with our fried chicken and beer. Shin Hye volunteered to pay for the food even though I insisted that it was my treat. 

"It's okay. Technically, you're unemployed at the moment. So let me treat you this time round." Shin Hye teased me as I pouted which caused her to laugh. "Seriously, stop acting cute. Do you act like this around Krystal too?"

The moment she mentioned about Krystal, I was immediately reminded about something. Actually, after Sooyoung left, I replied to Jongin's message.

(Flashback an hour ago)

Hi, Jongin. May I know how come Krystal's phone is with you? And are you planning to return it back to her soon? - Eunjin

I bit my lips while I waited for Jongin to reply my questions. I scrolled through my messages and reread the last message that I received from Krystal last night.

Since you'll be spending the night at your grandparent's house, I won't be going back to your apartment tonight. - Krystal

As I stared at her message, I regretted for not asking Krystal about where she was planning to go after the dinner.

'Is she going back to her parent's house or is she going to her sister's place?' I thought to myself as I felt a vibration in my hand, indicating an incoming message.

Didn't Krystal tell you that she's meeting me for dinner? She left her phone with me. Which part of my sentence don't you understand? Of course, I will return it back to her. I'm going to meet up with her later. - Jongin

Reading Jongin's arrogant reply really pissed me off as I decided to make a call directly to Mr Jung.

"Yeoboseyo? Appa Jung?.... It's me, Eunjin..... I just want to check with you. Is Krystal at your place?...... I see..... No, no. Everything's fine. I slept over at my grandparent's place last night and Krystal said that she's not going back to my apartment. I forgot to ask where she's spending the night... Arraseo. I'll check with Jessica later. Thanks, Appa Jung. Sorry to trouble you."

'Krystal is going to meet Jongin again? That's two days in a row of meeting. I thought she said that the dinner will be the last time that she planned to meet up with him? And how come she didn't even realise that her phone is not with her?'

Those thoughts appeared in my mind as I tried to calm myself down.

(End of flashbacks)

A tap on my shoulder disrupted my thoughts as I noticed Shin Hye looking at me with a confused expression. 

"Is everything okay?" She asked as I nodded my head. "You've been staring at the chicken for almost 10mins now."

I grinned and chuckled at my own actions before assuring her again that I was fine.

Meanwhile, at Jessica's and Yuri's apartment, two girls were seated at the living room.

"Did Eunjin call you?" Jessica asked after she took her phone from her room and was making her way out to where Yuri and Krystal were waiting for her. "She called me 3 times but I didn't pick it up since I was charging it inside our room. She called when I was in the other room with Soojung."

Jessica showed Yuri the missed calls from Eunjin and also the timing of the calls.

"She called me when I was on the other line with Sooyoung. I didn't answer and I forgot to call back since I had went to look for both of you. Let me call her back. She must have wanted to ask us about Krystal since she called both of us." Yuri gave her opinion as she dialed back Eunjin's number. "Strange. Her phone is off. The call had went straight to the mailbox."

"Are you sure? Try calling again." Jessica asked as Krystal just observed with a slight worry on her face. Yuri tried calling again but ended up shaking her head as a gesture that the call had not gotten through. "Did she off her phone on purpose?"

"Knowing Eunjin, I've got a feeling that she might have replied to Jongin's message. What I'm worried is that Jongin might have said things that are not necessary or maybe just lies."

"Lies? As in?" Krystal asked with a frown, trying to think of lies that Jongin might have created to tell Eunjin.

"That maybe, you had spent the night with him or something like that. Which could lead to you accidentally misplacing your phone with him." Yuri suggested as both Jessica's and Krystal's eyes widened.

"Yah!! My sister is not the kind to sleep around with anyone. How could you say that about Soojung?" Jessica slapped Yuri's shoulder's hard as the girl grimaced in pain.

"Did I even mentioned the word sleep? I said spent the night. I was not saying that she was sleeping with him. What I meant is, both of them spending time together after dinner, maybe watch a movie or stop by the Hangang river and chatted the whole night." Yuri raised her voice defensively, causing Jessica to be taken aback.

"Unnie, calm down. I know both of you are affected by this whole situation, especially with the missed calls from Eunjin and the fact that her phone is off. But I don't want the both of you to argue because it's obviously my fault. I didn't even realise that my phone is not with me. I just need to look for Eunjin now and explained things to her. Let's just go back to her apartment. She should be there." Krystal let out a sigh and stood up, getting ready to go out.

An hour later, the 3 of them were gathered again but this time round, it's at Eunjin's apartment living room. They were expecting Eunjin to be home since Yuri said that Eunjin had left her grandparent's house.

"Unnie, you said earlier that Sooyoung-unnie had met up with Eunjin and that Yoona-unnie was the one who had called you to inform about the matter. Where did Sooyoung-unnie met Eunjin? Was it at the cafe? Maybe Eunjin is still there." Krystal suggested.

"Anni, it was not the cafe." Yuri answered but she contemplated if she should tell them the truth. 

"So where?" Krystal asked in a hurry as she noticed that Yuri seemed to be thinking about something. "Are you hiding something from me, Unnie?"

"No." Yuri replied instantly, before chuckling nervously as she noticed that Jessica was glaring at her too. "Han Eunjin, please forgive me."

Krystal and Jessica looked at each other with a confused expression after Yuri seemed to ask for forgiveness from the person who was not there.

************************

"I've tried this before and also this. Both desserts are quite flavoury, to my opinion. This one looks nice though and.... Ouchhhh."

Shin Hye and I were going through the recipes that was sent by her friend to her via her email. But since her phone screen was not big enough for both of us to see, we ended up sitting close to each other and at that point, my head had collided with hers without us realising.

"I'm so sorry. Did it hurt?" My hand automatically went to her head to pat it a little, just to ensure that she was okay before both of us started laughing at our own clumsiness.

"I think I should make a move now. I'm not sure if the hospital will call me back tonight for another round of duty. Which means, I need my beauty sleep." Shin Hye chuckled at her own words as I nodded my head.

"Sorry to have taken up your time. And thank you so much for accompanying me for lunch. Let me walk you to your car."

Both of us exited from the workshop as we made our way to Shin Hye's car that was park by the side of the road. I held the door opened for her and waited for her to enter the car. Waving my hands at her, I watched as her car drove away.

"Eunjin!"

I was surprised when I heard my name being called out and turned behind to see Yuri coming out from her car. I smiled and was about to wave at her when my eyes widened when I noticed Krystal and Jessica leaving the car too.

"What's going on? Why are they here?" I asked Yuri when she came to stand beside me but it seemed that Jessica and Krystal had been observing both of us and they had heard what I said.

"Why can't we be here? Did we catch you red-handed with that doctor?" Jessica's words caused me to frown and became a little upset, especially since I felt that she was being unfair and disrespectful to Shin Hye.

"Hey, Sica... what is that suppose to mean? You know her name. What's with calling her as 'that doctor'? She's not a stranger to all of us." I said with a controlled voice since I didn't want to blow up the matter.

"I don't really know her that well anyway. I only know that she's Uncle Park's daughter and it seemed to me that she has a little crush on you. Seeing both of you walking out from the workshop, laughing and smiling happily at each other, I wondered what is going on." Jessica glared at me as I let out a sigh.

"Unnie... Please." Krystal intervened before turning to look at me. "Yuri-unnie drove by earlier and we noticed both you and Shin Hye inside that place, with you patting her head. Yuri-unnie made a u-turn and that was when we saw you walking Shin Hye to her car before she drove off. I think that this is all a misunderstanding."

"Why is this even a misunderstanding? What were you all thinking about? That there's something going on between Shin Hye and me?" I asked with disbelief as the 3 of them looked at each other without saying anything. "Seriously?"

"Look, Eunjin. I really think that this is just a misunderstanding. Like what Krystal explained just now." Yuri noticed the anger in me and tried to calm me down.

"The only thing that needs explanation is why your phone is with Jongin." I turned to face Krystal who looked guilty at the moment. "He's been using your phone to reply my messages and telling me that he's meeting you again today. I thought you said that the dinner will be the last time that you're going to meet him?" 

"Why are you showing your anger at my sister? It's not like she left her phone on purpose with Jongin. She remembered keeping the phone inside her bag after replying to your message last night." Jessica placed her arms on Krystal's shoulders as a protective gesture while I folded my arms.

"So you're saying that he stole your phone from you? Should I call the police then?" I asked Krystal who quickly waved her hands in disagreement.

"Do we have to go to that extend? I'm not sure if he really took my phone or I had accidentally drop it in his car when he sent me back to Unnie's place after the dinner. I just remembered that I had message Unnie to inform her that I was on my way to her place while I was still in his car." Krystal voiced out her opinion as I just let out a sigh.

No one said anything for the next 5 mins before Yuri asked me about my phone and why it was switched off.

"My phone died on me. I had forgotten to charge it last night. I tried to call you and Jessica but both of you didn't answer my call." 

"You called because you were looking for Krystal?" Yuri asked as I rolled my eyes at her.

"Obviously. She didn't return to my apartment and she didn't tell me where she had spent the night. So I called Appa Jung to ask but he told me that she was not there, which is why I tried to call both of you." I explained as Yuri asked if I had my doubts when Jongin told me that Krystal's phone was with him. "I thought that something bad had happened to her and was worried."

"You didn't thought that maybe I was... I mean.. Jongin... I... " Krystal seemed to have some difficulty expressing what she wanted to say but I understood it immediately.

"That you were spending the night with Jongin?" I helped her out by directly asking the question as Krystal slowly nodded her head before hanging it low. "Why would I think that way about you? I know you are not that kind of person and I trust that you would never do something that would hurt me. Right?"

Krystal looked up with teary eyes and nodded her head vigorously.