Chapter 90

Hard But Easy

Krystal's POV

I knew it was my fault but I didn't know how to reach out to her. The guilt was eating inside me as I felt the emptiness on the other side of the bed. I didn't know what came over my head until I said those words to Eunjin.

'It's all Jongin's fault.' I thought to myself as I realised that nothing good has ever happened since I became friends with him. Remembering what had happened three hours ago, I let out a sigh.

(Flashback)

"Are you sure? Because from the way you explain to me, it seems that you're more incline to go for the dinner." Eunjin said with a nonchalant expression without even looking at me.

"What are you trying to imply? That I was planning to cheat on you?" I blurted out without thinking through my words as I saw the surprised look on Eunjin's face. "I mean... I already said that I've not made any decisions yet."

"I'm not implying anything and I'm not even thinking about you cheating on me. You yourself said that you asked Luna's and Sulli's opinion about whether you should ignore him or should you just meet him for dinner for the first and last time. When I heard that, I thought that maybe you were more inclined in going for the dinner. It was just my opinion." Eunjin tried to explain her words.

"I guess your opinion was wrong." I replied flatly, intending to just end the conversation as I didn't want to prolong any talks about the dinner or Jongin in particular.

"Did I offend you in anyway? Why are you being so defensive?" Eunjin suddenly moved away and stood up at the side of the bed, folding her arms across her chest. "I apologise if my opinion is wrong but you don't have to react in such a way. Did talking to Jongin irked you so much that you have to throw your temper at me?"

"Yes." I replied too quickly and instantly regretted it.

"And I don't think that is fair for me." Eunjin replied before she let out a heavy sigh. "I think.. I'm just... I'm just going to sleep in the guest room tonight."

With those words, Eunjin left the room.

(End of flashbacks)

"It's not like I didn't do anything to resolve the matter. She was the one who locked the guest room. How am I suppose to talk to her when she's not even letting me in to apologise?" 

I was literally talking to myself as I hugged the bolster and stared at the ceiling. 30mins after Eunjin left the room, I went out to look for her with the intention of apologising. I knew which guest room she was in because it was the only room with the door closed but I didn't expect the room to be locked too. I tried knocking on the door but there was no response. Even her handphone was switched off. 

"Aisssshhhh..." I sat up straight, feeling frustrated and disappointed at the whole situation. "I need a cup of warm milk."

Eunjin's POV

Sipping the hot chocolate drink that I had made for myself, I stood in front of the tall glass window and watched the flickering lights from the Han River. It was already two in the morning but the night activity along the river seemed to be still going on.

"Ahhhh..." I exclaimed after remembering that it was a Friday night. "They don't have to go to work tomorrow."

I mumbled to myself as I heard soft footsteps from a distance. Turning behind, I saw Krystal looking at me with an unreadable expression. For the next minute, both of us didn't utter a word until I decided to face the window again. 

'I don't have anything to say to her and she doesn't seem to have anything to say to me either.'

That was the thought that came to my mind as I continued to watch the sparse amount of cars on the road, moving to their own destination. I could see Krystal's reflection from the window but I purposely avoided direct eye contact with her.

Once a while, I would steal a glance to see what Krystal was doing and it seemed like she was heating up a cup of milk. I guessed she couldn't sleep too. I knew she went to look for me after what happened because I could hear the sound of the doorknob from the guest room turning a few times. I purposely locked the door because I felt that both of us needed some time apart to either calm down or think about our actions.

I didn't realised that Krystal had already walked up beside me since I've been staring into my cup.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't haven't thrown my temper at you because of someone else." Her voice clearly showed that she was feeling remorse but I could sense that she was thinking of something at the same time. "By the way, is it okay with you if I was to meet up with him for dinner tomorrow?"

************************

"How come you're alone? I thought you said that you'll be bringing Krystal over?"

"She's got some last minute plans to see through with and I didn't inform her about this dinner beforehand. I apologise on her behalf for her absence." I tried to put on a pitiful look as Halmeoni looked at me in doubt.

"Why do you need to apologise? It's not like you can't bring her over any other time to have dinner with us. She just came back after so long being away from Seoul. We understand that she might have some things planned out already. It's okay." Harabeoji commented as I just grinned while Halmeoni continued to look at me with the same expression.

"Is everything okay between you and Krystal, my child? You don't look as chirpy as usual." Halmeoni finally let out the thoughts in her mind as I nodded my head, assuring her that everything was good.

"By the way, how's the progress of the shop? Everything going as planned?" Harabeoji asked after a while.

"Yeobo... Didn't we agreed not to talk about work at the dining table?" Halmeoni intercepted before I could reply to Harabeoji.

"So if we were to eat our dinner at the garden outside, are we allowed to talk about work then?" Harabeoji asked in a teasing manner but he quickly apologised when he saw Halmeoni giving him the stare. "Araseo, araseo... I understand what you mean. So, how was your day, my child?"

I ended up choking at my own food with Harabeoji's sudden impersonation of Halmeoni before all 3 of us ended up laughing at each other. Even though Halmeoni didn't like the idea of us talking about work, but it was the only topic that seemed to bond me and Harabeoji together. We did talked about other things like the upcoming trip to Japan for Halmeoni and Harabeoji, about Yoona and Sooyoung's wedding but we still ended up talking about work. Luckily, dinner was almost over by the time we started on the topic.

"There might be some delay with the renovation because they needed to bring in the specific material that I requested for. Other than that, everything should be progressing as plan." I explained to Harabeoji after he asked me a few questions.

"What was Krystal's reaction about this whole thing?" Halmeoni's question caused me to let out a sigh.

"I haven't told her yet." 

The atmosphere became quiet before one of the maid came and asked if we wanted desserts to be served since we were done with our dinner. Halmeoni stood up, told the maid to clear the plates on the table before asking Harabeoji if he wanted to have the desserts by the swimming pool.

"That will be great. A change in scenery." He chuckled at his own words before gesturing to me to follow him.

Once we were seated by the pool, silence filled the air as both of us just stared at the sky.

"Is everything okay between you and Krystal?" Harabeoji repeated Halmeoni's previous question as he looked at me quickly before looking up to the sky.

I didn't reply straight away since I was surprised with the sudden question. Harabeoji rarely asked me about my relationship with Krystal. Usually, Halmeoni would be the one asking and I was more comfortable to talk about it with Halmeoni. I guess Harabeoji was being concerned but at the same time, he felt a little awkward asking me about it which was why he avoided eye contact.

"Everything's good." I replied after a short while as the elderly man just nodded his head. "By the way, how's Uncle Park? Is he coping well?"

"He's already familiar with the processes in the company. Most of them knew who he was except for the newer staff. I'm glad that he's willing to take over your place after you informed me about what you intended to do." 

"Frankly speaking, I was a bit sceptical when you agreed with my plans. I had expected a full rejection from you but when you said okay, I thought I heard you wrong the first time."

"Before you explained about your plans to step down as the Director of the company, Uncle Park already informed me about it. He came to seek my permission to hold that position which you had offered to him. I saw what you dreamt of doing from Uncle Park's explanation. Initially, I was against it when he told me about it but he made me see your perspective. It was your dream and I believed that my son played a little part in it. Your Appa was your inspiration. He was like your idol. You shared the same dream as your father and you wanted to pursue it because partly, it was your Appa's dream that didn't came true. When I realised that, how could I have the heart to say no." Harabeoji let out a small sigh as he finished his words.

"It's not your fault, Harabeoji. Don't carry the blame on your shoulders." I said to clear the air as Harabeoji looked at me before giving me a small smile. 

"Your parents will be proud of you, Eunjin. Just like how me and your Halmeoni are proud of you too."

************************

"Good morning."

Yuri's head immediately shot up when she heard someone else greeting her besides her wife, who was already seated at the dining table, having breakfast. Her eyes followed the disappearing figure who had walked past them towards the kitchen.

"Krystal?" Yuri said out the name for reconfirmation as her sister-in-law appeared with a glass of water, while nodding her head. "How come you're here? Good morning, by the way."

"I slept over last night."

Krystal replied with a poker face as she made her way to join them at the table before helping herself with the pancakes that was prepared by her sister. Yuri continued to stare at Krystal as if she was waiting for her to elaborate further.

"Eunjin went over to her grandparent's place last night. I guess she must have slept there, which is why this girl is here." Jessica was the one who ended up explaining since she noticed that her sister was not in the mood to talk further.

"Eunjin went there without Krystal? I thought she was suppose to bring Krystal along for the welcome back dinner at her grandparent's place?" Yuri's question caused Krystal to look up and tilted her head.

"She was suppose to bring me over? I didn't know there was such a dinner. Eunjin only mentioned that she would be going over to her grandparent's place since I already made a dinner plan with Jongin." Krystal replied with a confused look as a frown appeared on both Yuri and Jessica's faces.

"Jongin?" Both of them said at the same time.

"I owe him a dinner." Krystal answered briefly before she elaborated about what happened a few days after their final paper. "He insisted that I owe him a dinner so I decided to get it over and done with."

Krystal avoided telling both of them about the small argument that she had with Eunjin which she felt that it was not necessary at the moment.

"So Eunjin allowed you to go and meet him?" Yuri questioned as Krystal nodded her head, causing Yuri to frown again. "Really? Are you sure?"

Krystal sensed that something was not right since Yuri didn't seem to believe that Eunjin had agreed to let her meet Jongin for dinner. Even Jessica was looking at Yuri who seemed to be in her own thoughts as she occasionally shook her head.

"What's wrong, Seobang? You don't seem to believe that Eunjin would allow Soojung to go for that dinner. It's just a dinner, right? Of course, Eunjin would allow her to do so."Jessica commented as Yuri continued to shake her head.

"It;s not about the permission. It's about the event that was suppose to happen during the welcome back dinner at her grandparent's place. Eunjin was suppose to...." Yuri immediately paused her words as she turned to look at Krystal, who seemed to be waiting for her to finish her sentence. "Besides the car and the apartment, was there any other surprises that Eunjin had informed you about?"

Krystal shook her head as Yuri let out a sigh.

"Luckily, I managed to stop my words. Eunjin is going to kill me if you were to know about it from someone else."

"Know about what?"

This time round, it was Jessica and Krystal who spoke at the same time as Yuri just grinned.

"Guess I'm done with breakfast. I need to head out for work." Yuri pushed her chair to stand up but Jessica managed to grab her shoulder.

"It's a Saturday. You don't have work on a Saturday." Jessica glared at her wife as Yuri swallowed her saliva.

"Gym?" Yuri replied nervously with a chuckle before she let out a sigh when she realised that she might have no way out from the situation. "Look. You know that I don't keep secret from you right, Sicababy? Furthermore, this is not even my secret. It's Eunjin. I don't think it's fair if I was to tell you both about it when she had wanted to do so herself. It's not fair for her too."

The moment Krystal heard those words, she was suddenly remembered about the argument that they had. Krystal was not being fair towards Eunjin at that point of time by letting out her temper on Jongin, to fall on Eunjin. As she stared aimlessly at her plate, Jessica was trying her best to make Yuri spilled out the secret.

"Unnie, let's just wait for Eunjin to inform us about it. I agree with what Yuri-unnie said. It's Eunjin's secret anyway."

"Oh my god. Thank you so much Krystal for being so understanding. I'm so lucky to have such a great sister-in-law." Yuri broke out into a wide grin as Jessica let go of her grip on Yuri's pyjamas.

"Fine. If you're not that curious, up to you. I was just doing so because I thought that you might want to know more." Jessica explained her actions. "By the way, don't pretend that nothing is going on between you and Eunjin. You sleeping over at my place and her not coming over to fetch you at this hour, proved that both of had an argument. Am I right?"

Krystal blinked her eyes rapidly, shocked at her sister's accurate guess before she nodded her head slowly. Even Yuri was surprised to see Krystal agreeing to Jessica's words.

"Wow, Sicababy. I didn't know that you had such skills in guessing that." Yuri commented in awe.

"It's not a skill. It's just that I understand my sister well. She's the clingy type. So if she's not being clingy to Eunjin, that means something is wrong."

"Hey... I'm not clingy." Krystal rebutted with a pout as Jessica and Yuri just looked at her with expressions that showed that they didn't believed her. "Yah! Both of you. I'm... not... clingy."

During the same time, another person was sweating it out by herself while playing basketball alone. Eunjin was already up since an hour ago and after seeing that there was no messages from Krystal, she decided to let out her frustration by shooting the hoops.

"Eunjin... Eunjin... Han Eunjin!!!"

The girl finally heard her grandmother calling out to her after the third time as she quickly made her way towards the elderly lady,

"Mianhae, Halmeoni. I couldn't hear you just now."

"It's okay. By the way, why are you even playing baskeball on an empty stomach? You haven't had your breakfast yet, right?" 

Eunjin just grinned sheepishly at her grandmother's question. She was nagged at for the next 10mins before instructed to take a shower and join both her grandparents at the dining area for breakfast.

"Yeobo, is Eujin okay?" Harabeoji asked that question to Halmeoni who was just about to sit down. At that time, Eunjin had went to take a shower.

"I don't think she's okay. I got a feeling that she might had gotten into a quarrel with Krystal."

"Krystal? Wae? Because she didn't join us for dinner and had other plans?" Harabeoji tried to guess as Halmeoni shook her head.

"Krystal didn't know about the dinner remember? So obviously, she couldn't join us. What I'm curious about is, why didn't Eunjin tell her about our welcome back dinner?" Halmeoni shot back a question at Harabeoji, who just shrugged his shoulder. "Both of you talked for quite a while last night. Did she mentioned anything to you?"

"Anni. We just talked about her workshop, the renovation, the cost and profit.. Those things." Harabeoji replied as Halmeoni shook her head and let out a sigh. "I did asked her if eveyrthing was okay between her and Krystal. She claimed that there's nothing wrong."

"And you believed her?"

Harabeoji shook his head before explaining that Eunjn might feel awkward talking to him about such matters. "She usually finds you when it comes to personal matters. I was hoping that you could dig out some info last night but you didn't stayed long when we were having desserts by the pool."

"I was getting sleepy and both of you seemed so excited in talking about work. So I decided to turn in early for the night. Furthermore, it was quite chilly last night. Age is already catching up on me. I can't stand the cold night. It makes my body ache." Halmeoni explained the reason as to why she left Harabeoji and Eunjin to continue talking by the pool last night, while she went off to sleep.

"That's true. Age is already catching up on us. I hope I can see Eunjin settling down before I close my eyes." Harabeoji let out his thoughts in a sad tone.

"What's with the sad atmosphere so early in the morning?" Eunjin walked into the dining area and took a seat beside Harabeoji.

"Your Harabeoji was saying about his wish to see you settling down before he closes his eyes. I wish for that too. Both of us are not getting any younger. Obviously we hope that you're in good hands before we leave this world." Halmeoni explained everything to Eunjin, who had a frown on her face as she remained silence.

"Are you okay, Eunjin?" Harabeoji asked as the girl just nodded her head without saying anything. "You seem to be in deep thoughts."

Letting out a heavy sigh, Eunjin turned to face her grandparents and stared at them for a while with a sad expression. "If both of you are no longer around, that means I'll be all alone."

"What do you mean, my child? You still have Krystal and the rest of the girls with you. Are you sure there's nothing wrong between you and Krystal?" Halmeoni started to be worried as Eunjin just gave her a small smile. "You know that you could always tell us anything, right?"

"I'm sorry Halmeoni, Harabeoji. I don't think I can have breakfast with both of you. There's somewhere that I need to go." Eunjin suddenly stood up and bowed as a sign of apology before she made her way out of the dining area.

Her grandparents were too surprised with her sudden actions that they could only observed her walking away.

************************

"Hey... Didn't expect you to be here."

I smiled at the girl who was smiling at me. I looked for a space to take a seat before she pointed to an empty stool at a corner. I went over to grab it before placing it beside her, who had went back to look at some papers which was spread on a table.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that question? Why are you even here? I thought Yoona said that she's going to finalise the menu at the hotel for the wedding?"

"She is. She's going there with her mum."

Sooyoung's reply sounded non-chalant as I continued to observe her while she continued to stare at the floorplan of our new business. A car workshop that will have a cafe on the second floor. A combined effort between me and Sooyoung.

"Is everything okay? You sounded a little piss off though." I asked cautiously, afraid that I might upset her.

"I am." Sooyoung replied straight away as she looked at me. "This is the first time that I'm actually pulling myself apart from Yoona because I felt.. I felt stuffy."

"Stuffy? What do you mean?"

Sooyoung started narrating about how she and Yoona kept clashing their opinions about the wedding preparations. From the attire, the wedding theme color, the decorations and even to the menu.

"I'm starting to feel drained. Suddenly, I feel like she's too different from me and I don't know her anymore." Sooyoung let out a sigh after talking for so long. "I want both of us to be happy but with all the arguments and nagging, I'm just too tired at the moment. It came to a point whereby I almost wanted to call the wedding off."

"Woah, woah.... Calm down. You're just having the wedding jitters. Yuri and Taeyeon had it too before their wedding." I tapped Sooyoung's back to give her some comfort. "Relax. Both of you just wants what's best for the wedding."

"I didn't know Yuri and Taeyeon had the jitters too."

"Of course, no one knew. Just like you. I bet no one knew that you're going through all this stress. Well, except for me. I seem to appear at the right time for the 3 of you." I smiled as I heard Sooyoung chuckled. "By the way, are you here to run away from Yoona? Or are you using work as an excuse to avoid accompanying her to the hotel?"

Sooyoung just gave a sheepish grin as I shook my head. I told her to call Yoona and try to work things out. 

"You've been together fo so long. I believe she's feeling nervous about the wedding too. Being married is an increase commitment to the relationship. Talk it out. Make her see your perspective and at the same time, let her explain her perspective."

"Thanks, Eunjin. I'll do that. By the way, how come you're here too? It's the weekend. Shouldn't you be spending it with Krystal?" Sooyoung asked as I just chuckled. "When are you going to bring her to see this place?"

I paused for a while before shaking my head. Sooyoung looked surprised at my reaction.

"It's not that I'm not going to bring her here. I've yet to tell her about this whole project."

"Seems like you yourself is facing some issues too. Are you the kind who will practice what you preach?" Sooyoung asked in a teasing tone as I understood what she meant.

"I guess I have to start doing so. If not, you're going to start nagging at me."

Both of us laughed at my remarks before taking out our own handphones. Sooyoung called Yoona while I decided to drop Krystal a message.

Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well? Want to meet up for lunch? - Eunjin

Sooyoung was still on the phone while I waited for a reply from Krystal. I was about to keep my phone in my pocket when a beep sound was heard.

Hi. Krystal left her phone with me. - Jongin