Chapter 78

Hard But Easy

Sometimes I really hate my job as the Director. I looked at the pile of documents on my table and threw my pen to the side before leaning into my chair.

"All I did was to take two days off."

I grumbled to myself before letting out a heavy sigh. I stood up and walked to the full-length windows. Watching the busy street outside filled with tiny humans walking quickly to their destinations while cars zoomed around, I stared at the clear sky. 

The sudden feeling of missing my parents overwhelmed me as I turned to my side to look at a photo that was hanging at the corner of the room. It was a photo taken of Appa, Halmeoni and Harabeoji during Appa's graduation day. It made me realised that I didn't have anyone to take photo with during my own graduation and I could never have a family photo ever again.

That thought itself, caused me to feel choked with emotions. I remembered how happy everyone was over the weekend during the wedding. The Kwon's and the Jung's took turns to take photos with their respective family members before they took a final photo together with everyone else.

After the wedding, I took two days away from work to accompany Krystal and her friends, touring Seoul. Since Krystal's car was not in a good condition at the moment, we used Jessica's car to move around. Both Yuri and her had already flown off for their honeymoon, the day after the wedding.

The sound of the arriving lift disrupted my train of thoughts. Thinking that it was Ms Jeon who was there to hand me more documents to look through, I didn't even bother to turn around.

"Just leave them on the table, Ms Jeon. That is if you manage to find space to put more documents on it." 

I let out another sigh and was about to close my eyes for a moment when I was taken aback by a pair of arms around my waist.

I must have looked very comical with my surprised look that Krystal started giggling away.

Krystal's POV

"Unnie, is Eunjin in the office?"

"She should be. There's a pile of documents that she needed to clear since she's been away for two days."

The voice on the other line answered me as I bit my lips before asking if it's really a lot of work for her. Ms Jeon laughed and replied that Eunjin might need to work overtime everyday for the remaining days of the week to be able to finish up her workload.

"I'm actually near her buidling. Do you think it's advisable for me to come up to see her? I'm scared of disturbing her though." 

Guilt started to spread in me as I remembered how I had pestered her to take two days off to accompany me. Eunjin told me that Mondays and Fridays were usually hectic for her since it was the start and the end of a week. She asked if I could postpone the sightseeing to mid of the week but I insisted on my decision.

Kate was planning to return back to New York on Thursday night so I didn't want to rush things for her, without sparing a thought for Eunjin.

Ms Jeon's voice on the line, disrupted my thoughts as I heard her telling me to just proceed to Eunjin's office since I'm already around the area.

"No matter how busy she is, I don't think she will ever reject the idea of seeing you. You should know how much she love you, right?" 

Ms Jeon's teasing voice caused me to blush as I ended the phonecall before making my way up to the lift.

I was expecting Eunjin to be submerged into looking at her paperwork but I was surprised when I saw her standing while looking out the windows.

She seemed lost in her thoughts and even as I walked into her office, she didn't even bother to turn around to see who it was.

"Just leave them on the table, Ms Jeon. That is if you manage to find space to put more documents on it." 

A smile appeared on my face as I realised as to why she didn't turned around when I walked in. I circled my arms around her waist as I saw her shook expression as if she had just seen a ghost.

Instantly, I started laughing since it was really funny. It was not always that I could see Eunjin's surprised look when she's always calm most of the time.

"Krystal? What are you doing here? I mean why didn't you tell me that you're coming? Did you rest well?"

I continued laughing at her continous questions before Eunjin pulled me into an embrace. It made me stopped laughing as I felt something was amiss.

"Is everything okay?"

She didn't say anything except that I felt her nodding her head that was resting on my shoulders. Her actions made my gut feelings stronger as I knew that something was bothering her.

"You know that you can tell me anything, right? And you know that I don't like it if you hide things from me, right?"

"Suddenly, I miss my parents."

The moment I heard it, my embrace around her tightened. I knew that topics on her parents would always be a senstive issue for her. No matter how strong and calm she portrayed herself as, she would always crumbled at the thoughts of her parents.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Did something trigger your thoughts about them?" I asked softly, rubbing my hand slowly on her back.

"It must be the work." She replied as she lifted her head and smiled at me. "I'm glad that you're here though."

I stared hard at her eyes and I knew there was something else that she was hiding from me so I distanced my body away from her. I saw her grinning nervously while I continued to stare as I saw her finally letting out a sigh.

"I noticed that graduation photo of Appa and realised that I didn't have anyone to take photo with during my own graduation." Eunjin pointed out to the photo on the wall.

Her expression finally changed into a very sad look and it broke my heart when I heard her confession. She added on that since none of her family members came on her graduation day, she left the school compound straight after receiving her certificate.

"That means you didn't have any photo of yourself in your graduation robe?" I asked as she nodded my head. I was about to continue talking when the phone on her table rang. She started getting busy with her work so I just waited for her at the couch while playing games on my phone until I fell asleep without realising.

************************

Krystal's arms around my waist tightened while Appa Jung and Omma Jung just looked at us with a big smile on their faces.

"Yah, Krystal. We're going to miss our flight soon if you continue to be clingy to your girlfriend." Sulli friend while Luna added on by saying that they should have packed me in a suitcase and checked me in. 

I laughed at their teasings as Krystal finally distanced herself and pouted. It was time for Krystal and her friends to fly back to New York as their new semester would be starting soon in 3 days time. Kate had flew off two days earlier since she had some family matters to attend to. 

The past few days, Krystal had been spending a lot of time over at my apartment. Since Jessica and Yuri were still away for their honeymoon, Krystal decided to sleep over at my place. When I'm at work, she would hang out with Sulli and Luna. At times, they had wanted to come over to my place but I was a bit reluctant since I felt a little embarassed with the condition of my apartment so I told Krystal to bring them over to my grandparent's place instead. Furthermore, there was more facilities available at my grandparent's place compared to my own apartment.

"Don't overwork, okay. Have enough rest and proper meals. Promise to call me everyday at least once, no matter how busy you are."

"Arraseo. I promise." I smiled and nodded my head before leaning in to kiss her on her forehead. "Take good care of yourself too. Don't attract unnecessary  attention to yourself. I could sense more admirers coming soon since you're getting prettier everyday."

A light slap on my shoulders was felt as I chuckled while Krystal rolled her eyes at me after asking me to stop with the cheesiness.

Soon, we really had to part ways as I waved my hands to the 3 girls who made their way to the departure hall. I bowed my head to Sulli's parents and Luna's parents as we went our separate ways. Appa Jung and Omma Jung followed me to the car as I would be sending them home since they had hitched a ride with me earlier.

When the car stopped at a traffic light, Appa Jung started to ask me about work. I told him that everything was progressing smoothly albeit it being a little slow since economy was still not good at the moment.

"Don't mind me asking but how long are you intending to keep this car? I remembered buying it for Sooyeon, more than 10yrs ago and I know that she had handed the car to Soojung. I was actually quite surprised to see this car still in good working condition." Appa Jung smiled at me as I told him that I would check on the car from time to time.

"Eunjin-ah, are you still riding your bike to work or to move around?" Omma Jung asked from behind my seat as I nodded my head. "Don't you have any plans to drive instead? You can just use Soojung's car since she's not here until she graduates."

I kept my silence as I just stared at the road in front. Even though Krystal has given me her permission to use her car whenever I wished to, I didn't really like to use it if she's not around.

"Your Omma had been reading news about motorbikes accidents lately. Since there's a rise of such cases, she's getting worried about your safety. I hope you don't mind her being a little meddlesome." Appa Jung laughed as Omma Jung pinched him on his shoulders, grumbling that she was not trying to interfere in my decisions.

"It's okay, Omma. I've never thought of you in that manner. I'm really thankful that you're thinking about my safety. With regards to your suggestion, I would think about it."

"In that case, about your apartment..." Omma Jung was about to continue talking when Appa Jung shushed her quickly.

"Yeobo, let Eunjin settle her own things one at a time. Soojung is still studying. There's no need to rush." Appa Jung's tone of voice was firm as Omma Jung just pouted and kept her silence.

Luckily for me, we were almost reaching at the Jungs apartment so the awkward atmosphere was shortlived. I bid them farewell when I dropped them at the lobby before driving off towards Jessica's apartment to park Krystal's car there before taking my bike home.

As I lied down on my bed, Omma Jung's words echoed in my head. It was actually not the first time that someone had pointed out about my habit of riding to work. Sunny had mentioned it to me before. About how I was not maintaining my image as the Director of a company by being too simple with my style.

Taeyeon and Yuri had also talked to me before about my apartment. Even though it'll be a cosy place for me and Krystal in the future, but I would need to think about times when Krystal's parents would like to come over to stay for the night, especially once I've settled down with Krystal.

The thought of settling down with Krystal, brought a smile on my face. The past few days where she had spent over at my place has strengthened our bond together and made me realised that she's really the one for me. 

************************

"I guess that's all for today. Thank you so much for your time and patience. If there's anything that your side is not clear of, do contact us and we'll be glad to assist you."

I stretched out my hand for a handshake with the elderly man in front of me before he turned to face Jihyun to shake her hand too. Both of us watched as he left the conference room before we sat down again at the table. Ms Jeon had went to the man to the lift before joining us to look through the documents.

It was one of those mornings where I would have to attend meetings along with Jihyun due to our combined partnership with other companies. Ever since I had agreed to Jihyun's proposal to work together, things were slowly getting back to it's momentum. Investments from big companies, thanks to Jihyun's vast connection, had helped to improve the company's profit margin.

"This calls for a celebration for another successful investment." Jihyun closed her folder and clasped her hands. "Do you want to go for an early lunch or do you already have a lunch date?"

I looked at Jihyun and smiled before glancing at my watch. It's already 11.30am and I was starting to feel a little hungry too. There had been a few times where Jihyun had asked me out to lunch or dine together, usually after our meetings. I knew that it's purely an invitation to eat but ever since both of us were photographed together once, while having our dinner, it seemed to have attracted unwanted attention from the media.

"Seems like you're still thinking of that time when our photos were published in the business newspaper." Jihyun's words could only bring out a smile from me. "I'm sorry for causing discomfort between us. I wasn't expecting the journalist to do such a thing when both of us were just merely having a dinner."

"A romantic dinner between two young uprising successful businesswomen, who are single and looked compatible with one another." Ms Jeon reminded us of the headline of the article, with a teasing tone of voice. "Krystal must have given you an earful for that."

"There's no discomfort between us, Jihyun. The article doesn't affect me or Krystal either. She already knew that I was having dinner with you that night and I had explained everything to her with regards to the article. Most of the time, I would usually informed her of my movements even though she did admit to me that she felt a little jealous when she read about it." I chuckled at my words while Ms Jeon and Jihyun could only smile.

"Someone is totally whipped. I've dated so many guys before but most of them would stop being sweet after a month of dating. Maybe I should start dating a girl." Jihyun commented as Ms Jeon and I laughed at her comments.

"Sometimes is not about the gender, Ms Kang. It's about the heart of the person that you're with. If the person really loves you a lot, he or she would always put you in their thoughts so whatever they do, they would always have you as their priority. Am I right, Ms Han?"

I nodded my head and grinned while showing a thumbs up to Ms Jeon. Turning my head to Jihyun, I told her that I didn't have any lunch plans yet and was fine about having lunch with her. She smiled and asked Ms Jeon to join us too since she had never had the opportunity to thank her for her help all these while. Ms Jeon gave me a teasing look, asking if it was okay if she was to join us.

"Of course, it's okay. Why would it not be okay?"

I had a frown on my face before Ms Jeon started laughing, citing that she was just teasing me. Shaking my head, I took my phone to leave Krystal a message.

Done with today's meeting with the investor. Jihyun invited me for lunch, along with Ms Jeon. It's to celebrate our successful meeting. We will try our best to avoid any unnecessary attention from the journalist. - Eunjin

I was about to keep my phone when a reply came in.

Okay. Enjoy your lunch then. - Krystal

I stared at the reply for a while. Even though it seemed like Krystal was fine with it, my gut feelings told me that something was not right. 

"Is everything okay? You've been frowning while staring at your phone." Jihyun asked as I nodded my head. "You're sure?"

I nodded my head again before asking her about where she wanted to have lunch. 

"I've got some minor things to settle. Won't take me long though. Maybe Ms Jeon can follow you first to the restaurant and I'll meet you both there soon. Is that okay?" 

Both of them agreed to my suggestion and left the conference room soon after. Once they were gone, I quickly dialed Krystal's number. It should be 11pm at the moment in New York and I hoped that she's not asleep yet. The phone call was connected after about 3mins.

"Hello?"

"Hhhhmmmm... Hi."

Once again I frowned when I heard Krystal's half-hearted reply.

"Is everything okay? Are you already asleep?"

"Did you look at the time before calling? What do you think I'm doing right now?"

My frown deepened when I heard Krystal's harsh voice. It was the first time that she had replied me in this manner, causing me to be a little taken aback.

"I'm sorry if I'm disturbing your sleep. I'm just checking if you're really okay with me having lunch with Jihyun. Because if you're not, I could just say no to her."

"Didn't I say okay and told you to enjoy your lunch? I'm sleepy, Eunjin."

"Okay. Sleep well then."

Without giving me a reply, the phone was disconnected and all I could do was to blink repeatedly at the device in my hand.

"What was that all about? What's wrong with her?"

I grumbled to myself, feeling a little hurt with the way Krystal had spoken to me on the phone. Trying to think positive by thinking that she was really sleepy, I kept my phone in my pocket and made my way to meet Jihyun and Ms Jeon for lunch.

The day went by uneventful after lunch as I submerged myself into work but at the back of my mind, Krystal's harsh voice still lingered around. I left the office with a heavy heart and an unfamiliar feeling spreading throughout my body. I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 7pm. Taking out my phone, I had already expected that there would be no messages from Krystal since it would be 6am on her side.

Scrolling down my contact list, it stopped at Yuri's name as I stared at it while trying to make a decision. Yuri was on her vacation leave today and I was contemplating if it was okay to look for her during her rest time. But I knew that if I didn't talk to someone about it, I would be thinking about this matter the whole night.

Sorry to disturb you at times like this. But I need someone to talk to. Do you think you can spare me some time? - Eunjin

I made my way to my bike and was about to climb on it when my phone vibrated. Yuri had called me instead of replying to my message so I quickly answered her call.

"Eunjin, where are you at now?"

"I'm at the office carpark. Just finish work."

"Okay. Do you want to meet outside or do you want to come over to my place?"

Pausing myself to weigh the options, I told her that it would be better to meet outside. I didn't want Jessica to find out about what had happened between me and Krystal, even though I suspected that Yuri would eventually tell her about it. But at the moment, I just wanted to talk things out with Yuri.

"Okay. How about we meet up at the pub where we used to hang out while working at the workshop? I feel like eating the chicken there and also drink some soju."

I agreed with Yuri's suggestion as I told her that I would reach there in 30mins time.

************************

"So, what's wrong?"

Yuri looked at her best friend who gave her a small smile. When she received the message from Eunjin earlier, she was snuggling in with Jessica at home while watching a movie. She showed Jessica the message and even her wife was concerned about it. 

Both of them had came to realise that Eunjin was someone who rarely asked for her help. By sending that message out to Yuri, Eunjin must really have something that was bothering her.

"It's about Krystal."

"Krystal? Wae? Did the both of you quarrel?"

"I'm not sure if it's even a quarrel. She just snapped at me out of nowhere." Eunjin replied before she started narrating to Yuri about what had happened earlier before lunch time.

"If it's about Krystal, you should have come over to my place and let Sica hear about it too. She should know her sister better than I do." Yuri gave her opinion as Eunjin shook her head.

"I'm not sure if it's a good thing if Sica was to know about this though. She's always so protective of her sister, I might even end up getting scolded by her." Eunjin pouted as Yuri laughed a little at her remarks, knowing fully well her wife's character. "My gut feelings tell me that Krystal is unhappy with Jihyun's presence around me."

"So you're suspecting that she's not actually happy about the fact that you went out to lunch with Ms Kang even though she replied otherwise?" Yuri asked as Eunjin nodded her head. "What if she's really sleepy at the time you called her?"

"Even if she's sleepy, she would not snap at me. It's not the first time that I would call or message her around that timing either. What happened earlier had never happen before and it baffled me until now."

Yuri frowned a little, before taking her glass of soju to take a sip from it. She was trying to figure out the reason as to why Krystal would react that way. Seeing Yuri becoming quiet and deep in her thoughts, Eunjin also took a sip from her drink.

"When the article about you and Ms Kang came out a few weeks ago, what was Krystal's reaction when you told her about it?"

"In the first place, Krystal was already aware about that dinner since I had told her about it on the night itself. So when I told her about the article, she already knew which dinner I was referring to. But the funny part is, Krystal was questioning me about why I took so long to tell her about it because it seemed that she had heard about the article from someone, two days before I told her. " 

"Heard it from someone? Who? Sulli, Luna?" Yuri asked as Eunjin shook her head, telling Yuri that she had forgotten to ask Krystal about that. "If Krystal had already heard it from someone, why didn't she just asked you about it since she's already aware about the dinner? Why did she wait for you to inform her? Was she trying to see if you would keep it a secret from her? Is she trying to test you?"

"Test me? As in she doesn't trust me?" Eunjin threw the question at Yuri who looked unsure herself.

"Something seems off with this whole thing. Did you notice anything different with Krystal's behaviour ever since that article came out?" Yuri asked as Eunjin shook her head. "I'm actually curious about where she had heard of the article even before you told her about it. Who is that someone who's being a meddlesome in this matter?"