Chapter 32

Hard But Easy

I didn't realised that I was daydreaming until I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning to my left, I saw Yuri grinning at me.

"Until when are you planning to stare at that engine? Does your eyes have superpowers that it can repair an engine just by staring?"

Yuri laughed out loud at her own comments as I just rolled my eyes at her. Wiping the oil grease from my hand, I closed the car hood before resting against it. "I need to wait for the spare parts to arrive before I can work on it. Where's Taeng?"

"Sunny wanted to see her so she's in the office." Yuri answered as I nodded my head. "By the way, how's you and Krystal? It's been almost 3 months since both of you had been going out together. Any progress?"

I looked at Yuri and shrugged my shoulders. Letting out a sigh, I started walking away towards the central bench where we would usually gather to rest or eat when there's not much work to do.

"What's with that reaction? Did something happen between the two of you?" Yuri was looking worried as she joined me at the bench.

"Anni, Everything seems to be going well. It's just that...." I paused and turned to my side when I heard Sunny's and Taeyeon's voices. Both of them walked up to the table and asked what were me and Yuri talking about. "Yuri was asking me about my relationship with Krystal."

"You're proposing? Marriage?" Taeyeon's question caused me and Yuri to look at each other before both of us frowned at the same time.

"That's a very far thought when I haven't even ask her to be my girlfriend. Don't you think so?" I asked Taeyeon who scratched her chin.

"I thought since your Harabeoji is planning an arranged marriage, you would be planning to counter his decision." Taeyeon tried to justify her reason for saying those things.

"But won't that make it look like Eunjin is trying to make use of Krystal to solve the problem? That girl has yet to graduate." Sunny gave a reasonable explanation which I totally agreed with.

"I'm glad that Krystal has been understanding about the situation. With what happened to Harabeoji before, and now this arranged marriage issue, I can't seem to focus properly on the things between me and her. Even though it's been almost 3 months, the time we actually spend together is very limited."

"But from what Sica told me, her sister seemed to be enjoying herself everytime she comes home from a date with you. I guess even though it was limited, both of you were able to enjoy each other's companion. Which is a good thing, right?" Yuri asked to which I nodded my head.

"By the way, any updates on that arranged marriage thing. Has your Halmeoni or Uncle Park, contacted you yet?" Taeyeon was curious as usual.

"So far, there's no updates from any of them. I kept hoping that the doctor had analysed it wrongly and that Harabeoji is not actually suffering from a brain tumor. Maybe it's just a blood clot due to the fall. I don't know. As long as he can live longer."

"You want him to live longer? Even after how he tormented your life?" Sunny's expression showed that she didn't expect me to have that kind of thought at all.

"Even though I didn't like him, I would not pray for him to die early. There's too many hassle if he's gone. My Halmeoni, the company. I just found out during that time when I had to take over his position at the company, that I'm actually the second-in-line to take over the company if he's gone. He transferred my Appa's shares of the company to my name. Can you imagine if I have to take over the company permanently?" I asked the 3 girls as they shook their heads. 

"But what if he insist on the arranged marriage? Are you going to agree?" Yuri asked as I shook my head vigorously.

"Unless it's with Krystal. If not, I'm never going to agree to anything." I firmly replied.

"What about the issue between you and Amber?" Taeyeon's question caused me to sigh again.

"That is also another thing that is adding on to my stress level. Krystal told me that Amber keeps trying to get close to her but luckily, Sulli and Luna were always around so Amber would just act like normal. Like how they were before Krystal rejected her." 

"That's why people say, you will never treasure something until you lost it." Sunny said as the 3 of us nodded in agreement. "But you need to do something about your problems. The more you procrastinate, the more you'll be stressing over it."

"I agree. That's why I'm trying to get hold of Ailee."

"Ailee?"

Taeyeon, Yuri and Sunny had the same question and reaction when they heard my reply. I explained to them about what Krystal had told me before. That Amber actually liked Ailee. It's either she didn't want to admit it or she's blind to see it.

"Come to think of it, the last time I saw Ailee and Amber at the amusement park, I could sense something different with the way Amber was treating Ailee. She seemed to pay more attention to her than the others." Yuri gave her opinion as Taeyeon also agreed to it.

"Does Krystal know that you're planning to look for Ailee?" Taeyeon asked as I nodded my head.

"She does. Obviously, I have to inform her. I don't want to have to deal with a jealous Krystal. It's scary."

"Tell me about it. I'm dating her sister. Both Jungs are scary when they're jealous." 

All of us started to laugh at Yuri's comment before we continued on our work.

************************

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me. I know that you're busy with work." I said as I released the handshake between me and Ailee.

Both of us had agreed to meet up for lunch as we took our seats at the restaurant. The waitress arrived and took our orders before leaving us to start our chat.

"You told me that it was about Amber and Krystal. What happened? Did Krystal break up with you to return to Amber?"

Ailee's question caused me to blink my eyes rapidly before I shook my head.

"Just a question. Are you very close to Amber?" I asked as Ailee paused for a while before nodding her head slowly. "Did you know that she punched me in the face before?"

"She punched you? When? What happened? What triggered that action?" Ailee's surprised expression was evidence that she was not aware of the incident.

I took my time to explain everything to her as she looked in disbelief. I ended my story just at the same time as the waitress arrived with the food. Once everything was placed on the table and the waitress walked away, Ailee quickly started talking.

"I'm not sure if I can believe your story since it didn't sound like Amber at all. I've known her since my second year of university and never once has she shown any violent temper." Ailee said but I saw some hesitance in her when she suddenly looked away. "But she did showed her discontentment when I told her that I saw both of you at the mall that day."

I nodded my head and gestured her to eat her food first. We started to talk about other lighter topics before I asked her about her opinion of Amber when I saw that she was almost done with her food.

"Amber?... Well, one thing for sure is that she's very sociable. She makes friends easily with her laid back and cool character. To be honest, I was surprised when she told me that she was going out with Krystal."

"You were surprised? Wae?" I asked as Ailee said that in her opinion, Krystal was the opposite of Amber. "I guess that's quite true."

"Amber seemed to be comparing me with Krystal as she doesn't understand why Krystal couldn't be sociable." Ailee added on with her explanation.

"She's comparing both of you?" I tried to double confirm the information that I just heard from Ailee. "By any chance, do you think that Amber likes you?"

Ailee frowned a little before she finally nodded her head. "Amber did expressed her feelings to me once but I sort of rejected her. I told her that I was not ready for a commitment."

I was totally taken aback with her confession. I asked Ailee when did all that took place and she replied by saying that it was a few months before she graduated.

"That was also why I was surprised when Amber told me about her and Krystal. She did told me before that Krystal had a huge crush on her but at that time, she didn't really think much about it because of me. When Krystal rejected her, I could understand her frustration. Maybe she felt really hurt after being rejected by both of us."

"I don't think Krystal was aware of Amber's confession to you." I said as both of us seemed to sigh at the same time. "The problem is that Amber seemed to be harassing Krystal in school at the moment. Luckily, Sulli and Luna are always around her so she feels safer. But it's not giving me a peaceful mind."

"I understand. By the way, how's your relationship with Krystal? Is everything going well?" I nodded my head to Ailee's questions. "Is she your girlfriend now?"

Shaking my head, I explained that there were currently a few personal matters that had been thrown to my face which resulted in me having lesser time to spend with Krystal. "One of them is this matter with Amber. I really appreciate Amber's friendship but she seemed to think that I've betrayed it. I mean, it's not like we're dating behind her back. We got together only after Krystal rejected her. Krystal did admitted that she was at fault for not making it clear to Amber with regards to her feelings. The truth was, after the first date with Amber, Krystal already realised that what she had felt for Amber was just purely a crush and nothing more than that."

"Maybe both of them need to have a talk together to settle things out." Ailee suggested as I told her that they did had the talk and it seemed like Amber couldn't accept Krystal's decision. "In that case, maybe I should talk to Amber."

"Will it aggravate the matter? I don't want things to get worse than it is now." I said as Ailee pondered on it too. "Will it be better if the 4 of us meet and talk things out? Me, Krystal, you and Amber. But you can't tell her that we're meeting up because I have a strong urge that she might not agree to it."

"Okay. That suggestion is good. I'll try to come up with something and keep you updated about it." Ailee replied.

"Thanks for the help, Ailee. I just don't want Krystal to be affected by all this since it's her final year. She's already preoccupied with her studies." I said as I smiled sincerely at her.

"Krystal is really lucky to have someone like you. Taking the effort to solve problems instead of just leaving it as it is."

"I'm lucky to have her too. There's a lot of things going on in my life but she has been very understanding and accomodating with my situation. So I think this is the least that I could do for her." I explained as I wiped my mouth and called for the bill. "This meal is on me since I'm the one who had asked for your help for a meet up today."

************************

"What do you mean I can't do that to her?"

Mr Han stared at his most loyal worker as Uncle Park looked to the floor. This was the first time that Uncle Park had disagreed with his decision as he folded his arms and leaned back into his chair.

"I don't think Mr Byun is a good choice for her. Furthermore, from my knowledge, it seems that Ms Han already has someone in mind." Uncle Park explained before he looked down again.

Even though he has worked for a long time with Mr Han and was also treated like a friend by his boss, Uncle Park had never forgotten that he was still an employee. He would never interfere in matters or decisions that was not of his concerns even though, Mr Han would sometimes asked for his opinion. But in this matter, Uncle Park felt that there was a need for him to do so.

"You mean that girl whom she brought along to see me at the hospital that day?" Mr Han questioned as Uncle Park nodded his head. "You must be kidding me if you say that you're actually agreeing to that relationship. A girl and a girl. How do you expect my family line to continue with that? How am I suppose to have great-grandchildren with that kind of relationship?"

Uncle Park was startled when Mr Han slammed his hand onto the table as he finished his sentence.

"Even so, sir. I don't think that Mr Byun is a good choice. I'm doubtful of his character." Uncle Park tried to control his nerves as he saw Mr Han arching his eyebrows.

"His character? What do you mean?" Mr Han asked as Uncle Park started to list a few things that he had observed from Mr Byun and also from resources that he had overheard.

Mr Han started to laugh and said that Mr Byun was a young man with a lot of passion. "It's nothing wrong if he flirts around, spend lavishly or spend a lot of time partying and clubbing. That's what a young man like him should do. He's got a good brain in business and I like the ideas that he gave me on how to expand Hanjin Shipping into a bigger corporation."

"But his methods doesn't sound legal to me when I heard both of you talking over it during lunch earlier. I'm just worried that you might be cheated." Uncle Park showed his sincerity while Mr Han just continued to laugh it off.

"Cheat me? I've been in this business for so many years. There's no way he can do that to me. He's inexperience. Furthermore, his late father was a good friend of mine. I don't think he would so such a thing." Mr Han replied confidently.

"Even so, don't you think that Ms Han should be the only one who has the right to decide on her life partner?"

Once again, Uncle Park was startled when Mr Han slammed his hand on the table and stood up with an angry expression.

"Give her the right to decide? Are you seriously saying that?" Mr Han glared at Uncle Park as he raised his voice. "That ungrateful kid will destroy everything that I have built all my life. My family line will end if I leave things in her hand. Do you think I will die in peace?"

"Is that all that matters to you? Your company and your future generation? Have you ever spared a thought for that poor kid who had lost both her parents since she was 10? If you were so concerned about your future generation, why didn't you even bother about the only person that was actually able to do so for you? Han Eunjin. She was the only one left of your bloodline but you treated her like trash. Maybe worse than trash." Uncle Park paused as he took a deep breathe while he continued to glare at the one person whom he had respected years ago. "I've kept my silence all this while because I respected you. You took care of me and my wife like a hyung that I never had. Years ago, youwere dignified and ambitious. Passionate about your dream but was a caring family man. See how I used the word 'was'. That was because you became a stranger to me the moment you disowned your own son. Just because he didn't want to be in an arranged marriage. Even after losing him, you remained as cold and heartless."

"Park Sungmin, how dare you talk to me like that? After all these years, all the sacrifices that I made for you. Is this how you repay me?" Mr Han didn't want to lose out as both men stared harder at each other. "Just because I lifted your status as my right hand man and made everyone respect you like how they respect me, it doesn't mean you can step on my head and act as if you have the right to do so. I can still fire you for your attitude."

"I've never interfered in any of your decisions before. I've always supported you even though there are times when I disagree but I don't think I can just keep quiet anymore. Eunjin has suffered a lot since she was young. I can't even imagine the hardship that she had to go through all by herself. When I saw how Krystal made her smile and laugh during my short visit to them, my heart bloomed into happiness. Eunjin had never asked for anything from you. Whatever that she had achieved today was all out of her own effort so I don't think you have the rights to make any decisions with regards to her life. Just leave her alone like how you've always done so. Just let her be happy for once." Uncle Park finally let out a sigh after he was done, releasing all the pent-up emotions inside him.

"PARK SUNGMIN!!! YOU'RE FIRED AND SO IS YOUR WIFE. GET OUT FROM MY OFFICE. GET OUT FROM MY HOUSE. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE BOTH OF YOU ANYMORE. GET OUT! GET OUT!" Mr Han shouted out loud while Uncle Park could still manage a smile.

"I've been ready anyway since I've got a feeling that you'll fire me. Thank you for everything that you've done for me and my wife. Before I leave, I would like to apologise if my honest words had hurt your feelings and your pride. I just hope that you'll realise it before it's too late. Just be careful of Mr Byun."

Uncle Park bowed his head before he turned around and walked to the lift while Mr Han was just letting out his frustration by messing up his table and throwing everything to the floor. When Uncle Park reached the lobby, he took out his phone and dialed a number.

"Yeobo, remember what I told you a few days back. I think it's time we pay a visit to my friend. Pack our bags. I'm going to see Eunjin first before I return home."

************************

"He fired you? And Aunt Nancy too? Wae? Has he gone crazy?"

I was totally taken aback when Uncle Park came to the workshop at around 4pm. I was busy repairing one of the car's engine that I didn't noticed his arrival until he stood beside me. Taeyeon, who had met him before, came up to greet him as she introduced him to Yuri. Yuri then ushered him to the bench while Taeyeon insisted to take over my work so that I could spend time talking to him. Sunny was informed of his arrival as she asked Chorong to prepare some drinks for them.

Uncle Park started to narrate about what had happened in the office earlier between him and Harabeoji, causing not only me to be shocked but also the rest of the girls. The 4 of us started to worry about him but he just laughed it off.

"Don't have to worry so much about me. I was already anticipating all these the moment I decided to interfere in his decision." Uncle Park smiled as he took a sip from his cup. "I've prepared myself since the day I went to your apartment that night, Eunjin. I'll be going away for a while for the next few weeks. It's been a long time since I last travelled with your Aunt Nancy. Both of us deserved a break."

"How about Halmeoni?" I asked when I realised that Aunt Nancy won't be around to look after Halmeoni.

"Your Aunt Nancy has been training some of the younger maids on the things that they need to do when she's no longer around. So far, they've been doing a good job in taking care of your Halmeoni so you don't have to worry." Uncle Park patted my head before he let out a sigh. "When I saw you repairing the car earlier, you reminded me so much of your father. Both of you has so much resemblance, in terms of look and character. Maybe that's why your Harabeoji treats you so coldly. You reminded him of his son."

The other girls started to get curious as they asked about my father and what actually happened between my father and Harabeoji. Uncle Park just smiled as he looked at them.

"Eunjin's Appa was very good-looking and had many suitors. Being the only son to such a wealthy businessman, obviously there were some who was just after the money. He was a good ice-hockey player and was also academically talented. But he loves cars a lot, so when he wanted to open his own workshop, Harabeoji was unhappy and disagreed to it. So her Appa remained quiet and accepted his decision. Eunjin's Appa started to work at the company and everything seems to be going well until Harabeoji wanted him to be in an arranged marriage."

"Just like how Harabeoji is doing to Eunjin now?" Taeyeon intercepted as Uncle Park nodded his head. "Why is he obsessed about arranged marriage? Was his marriage with Halmeoni, arranged too?"

"From what my wife told me, it seemed their marriage was arranged too."

Uncle Park's confession caused me to be surprise again. Uncle Park added on that before agreeing to marry Halmeoni, Harabeoji was actually in a relationship with another girl but that girl cheated him of his money and feelings.

"Maybe that's why Harabeoji wanted to arrange the marriage of your Appa, Eunjin. Because he didn't want his son to go through the same heartache." Sunny was quick to analyse the situation.

"But Eunjin's Appa was not ready for commitment. He has a lot of dreams to achieve first but most of them were shot down by Harabeoji. So her dad rebelled and walked out from the house. Not wanting to lose face, your Harabeoji declared that he's disowning his own son." Uncle Park explained further.

"He declared to everybody?" Yuri asked as Uncle Park shook his head.

"Not everyone. Just to Halmeoni and the people who was working at the house. Eunjin's Appa only met her Omma after he started working at the workshop. But Harabeoji thinks that the reason as to why his son didn't want to be in an arranged marriage was because of her Omma. Which was why he seemed to hate her."

"He's just a snobbish old man who thinks that he can get away with anything or settle everything with money. The more I know about him, the more I dislike him." I said as I folded my arms across my chest. "But where are you planning to go, Uncle Park? Do you have any place to stay at the moment?"

"Eunjin, listen to me. Do you remember Mr Byun while you were working at the company?" I nodded my head at Uncle Park's question. "Be careful of him. It seems that he's very manipulative to the extent that he can make your Harabeoji thinks he's a good choice. As for me, I'm planning to go visit my friend in California. It's been years since I last saw him."

I nodded my head as Uncle Park stood up and excused himself. As I walked him to his car, he stopped and turned around to face me.

"Take care of yourself and Krystal too. I can see that she's precious to you. Be happy, Eunjin. Until we meet again,kiddo."